• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing whats the going rate for threading a barrel?

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
I need a barrel threaded and id like to see who does what and for how much. do we have a list of smiths on here? so far its looking like $100 to $150 is the going rate and a little more for a blended thread protector. that touch would be nice, but im ok with just an off the shelf thread protector. id like to get it done so I can get in on the $62.50 cerakote special. who did yours? pics if you have them, and maybe how long and how much it was if you care to share. maybe we can get some business up for some smiths. ADCO is $140. I need to call and see how much if I just send the barrel. thanks

i wish we had a place on this site where smiths could at least post the services that they did. prices would be nice, but at least their services so we could easily contact them and get prices. do we have that section here already?

I'm $95 for threading, $50 for seamless Knurled or smooth thread protector. Two day turnaround normally.

Sent from my GS5 on Tapatalk

I was recently quoted $75 for threading, $95 for threading/re-crown by folks in the Dallas area. I didn't price out any thread protectors.

100/40

100/thread and crown. Std package.

40/thread ring.

96 hrs in/out.

Threads fully ring gauge and certified. Cnc machined.

b16a.jpg

b12a.jpg

b5a.jpg

b18a.jpg

Last edited:
I was recently quoted $150 and 2 weeks turnaround in the Houston area for "cut and thread to Thunderbeast spec"...

i wish we had a place on this site where smiths could at least post the services that they did. prices would be nice, but at least their services so we could easily contact them and get prices. do we have that section here already?

Im sure all of that would be on the smiths web site. Most SH sponsors that I have seen post have a link to there web page in there sig line. A lot of the other members have links in there sig line as well

Im sure all of that would be on the smiths web site. Most SH sponsors that I have seen post have a link to there web page in there sig line. A lot of the other members have links in there sig line as well

well finding who does what is the hard part it seems. there are a lot of good smiths on here that do amazing work, but it would be nice if there was a listing in one place. I never expected this many responses to be honest. im sure it would be nice for the smiths as well as us that are looking for certain things. they would have to be pinned, each smith could just list his services. if no one lists a price, there wont be any issues with anything. or a list of some sort. Long Rifles has a neat video I saw that was really cool. I love watching CNC do its stuff. anyway, just a thought. like I said, im sure we all know a few smiths and call those guys, but this will open up some more opportunities to get work done, and to get some new customers.

oh and thank you all for your replies.

and if anyone wants to ask for other things, please feel free to hi-jack

Last edited:
Just depend were you live as some areas of the U.S. the cost to do business is higher than other parts. I charge $175.00 for threading, indexing, crowning and blending and in California some are as high as $200.00 in areas that are more expensive.

$140 for rifle disassembly, barrel threading and recrowning, reassembly, and any cerakote touch up needed.

$60 for seamless thread protectors turned from 304 SS, includes any cerakote touch up needed.

Threads get checked with a gauge. Everything gets recrowned. Shipping is extra if needed.

Wait time is usually under a week.

Thanks everyone

I need a barrel threaded and id like to see who does what and for how much. do we have a list of smiths on here? so far its looking like $100 to $150 is the going rate and a little more for a blended thread protector. that touch would be nice, but im ok with just an off the shelf thread protector. id like to get it done so I can get in on the $62.50 cerakote special. who did yours? pics if you have them, and maybe how long and how much it was if you care to share. maybe we can get some business up for some smiths. ADCO is $140. I need to call and see how much if I just send the barrel. thanks

I just got my barrel back from ADCO. Just the barrel was $65

Gunsmithing services vary in price a surprising amount. I feel a lot of what we do we're underpaid for compared to other trades of equal difficulty.
We(PCR) like doing a lower volume of work which allows us to be in better communication with customers, be more personable and friendly, have better customer service potential, and concentrate only on the work at hand with no stress of backlogged work.

Not too many other industries you'll see the same job vary by 100% in price(A $70 thread job compared to $140 for example).

If a company charges $140 for a job that takes a few hours, the employee who did the work probably made less than half that. There's a lot more work involved that just the machining portion that everyone thinks about. You add it all up, a gunsmith could spend 5 hours from phone call to shipping of a job, and earn $100 total on it. You could earn more being a garbage man.

"Interesting" job we have. Very happy to do it.

Last edited: