• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

S

Surgikill

So I was on a flight home and this marine range master was beside me. We got talking and he was trying to tell me that after 800 yards a 50 bmg starts to tumble end over end because it starts to "spin back on itself" and that's why it was so accurate.

Needless to say I'm glad the flight landed ten minutes later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So I was on a flight home and this marine range master was beside me. We got talking and he was trying to tell me that after 800 yards a 50 bmg starts to tumble end over end because it starts to "spin back on itself" and that's why it was so accurate.

The range "master" must have missed his class on external ballistics, or he could have gotten his info from G. Gordon Liddy who thinks the bullet from an M16 is supposed to come out tumbling. I hope I just misinterpreted, perhaps he was talking about terminal ballistics rather than external.

Last edited:

I ran into that same guy. Back in Nam he converted his M60 to a "circular fire 5.57 mm" so as to "really tear um up."

The range "master" must have missed his class on external ballistics, or he could have gotten his info from G. Gordon Liddy who thinks the bullet from an M16 is supposed to come out tumbling. I hope I just misinterpreted, perhaps he was talking about terminal ballistics rather than external.

No it was external. After that I had my doubts he was a marine at all.

No it was external. After that I had my doubts he was a marine at all.

The military has all kinds of bullshit myths. I was told several times during my career that .50 is so powerful if the bullet gets with in a few feet of you the shockwave will kill you. All kinds of dumb crap. Just because your .mil doesn't mean you know dick about guns, the same as LEOs.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

i was @ a match some time back when this brain surgeon on vacation from the local active military base up the road , was speaking all manner of ballistic jargon.....

i did not know that there was "moment of angle"

and whilst working in a big box retail sporting goods store in the gun Dept. the manager was heard telling a newbie that handguns have "handles".......i thought they had grips myself!

The military has all kinds of bullshit myths. I was told several times during my career that .50 is so powerful if the bullet gets with in a few feet of you the shockwave will kill you....
I overheard one of the salesmen in Ronnie Barrett's gun store, who was trying to sell an M82 to what looked to be a student in the local university, tell that very tale.

Reactions: 338dude
I was at a local service rifle match and a guy shooting next to me asked what grain I was shooting out of my M1A, I told him 168. He told me that those were only designed to be shot at the 300 yard line and that at 600 they were inaccurate and tumbled.

I heard this soooo many times in SOI at Geiger, and in the fleet. Of course, as a boot, I never argued that that was totally impossible and ridiculous... but I laughed on the inside.

The military has all kinds of bullshit myths. I was told several times during my career that .50 is so powerful if the bullet gets with in a few feet of you the shockwave will kill you. All kinds of dumb crap. Just because your .mil doesn't mean you know dick about guns, the same as LEOs.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

You aint kidding. I have to continually debunk bs. But then they throw in regs and doctrine as an excuse as to why they continue to spout the bs.

Gun related - 'Cleared and safe' as the gunshop sales guy/ Afg 'contractor' handed me his personal carry without checking nor clearing the round.
Life related - 'I bought it for my mom and now that she cant drive I am selling it. Its been babied all its life and I want it to go to a good home.'

"A .45 ACP will knock you on your ass/awesome knockdown power". Don't know how many times that has been regurgitated to me over the years.

The .50 cal tearing limbs/head off just passing by within a foot or two as well.

Mostly it was just outlandish tales of accuracy once they found out that I was/am (definitely not practicing) an 8531 (0931 now) and shot competitively a little. I've been around the best marksman in the U.S., and none of those guys could ever do some of the tales that I was being fed.

Reactions: 338dude and xringr
"Suppressors cause the bullet to lose as much as 200fps!"

"Bullets rise when they come out of the barrel, because the velocity creates so much lift. That's why you have to hold over inside 100yds."

"You don't need those fancy scopes, I shot a deer at 400yds last fall with my 270."

On and on it goes. If it were legal to hit stupid people in the head with a bat, there would be a pile of corpses 10 feet high next to our tables at gun shows.

"Bullets rise when they come out of the barrel, because the velocity creates so much lift. That's why you have to hold over inside 100yds."

The guy in my hunter safety course said that. I questioned him and got mocked in front of the entire class. This is also the guy who forgot to remove the ram rod from a black powder and managed to spear a dear with it.

That a .50 will still do damage to anything it misses by just a foot.

That a bullet arcs out of the barrel rather than straight out of the barrel.

The range officer that once made a huge deal over a stuck cartridge in the internal magazine of a 91/30 that he swore was going to cook off; it was a loaded cartridge where the bolt didn't catch it right and the rim got stock in the magazine area, not anywhere near the chamber nor did it have the primer anywhere near the bolt face. Apparently just the metal from the bolt touching any part of the case can make it cook off!

Getting hit with a shotgun slug will lift you off your feet and toss you backwards a good distance.

I've met so many 'snipers' that either I am a magnet or I just seem to know better. When I tell them what you really go through, have to do and what it really boils down to and that they're usually not 6'7 330lbs and train to shoot a golf ball at 3 miles all while jumping out of a plane singing the national anthem, they then never think I know what I'm talking about. :)

I was told one time by a guy that he did a experiment with his 308 on velocity. he started with a 24 in barrell and chopped it down 2 inches at a time and would GAIN 200 fps everytime he cut it down . When he was finished he had a 10 in barrell that was getting 3600 fps.

I was told once if you cranked the engine backwards on a deuce and a half it would run but wouldn't have as much horsepower.

I was told that a 30-30 lever action was the most accurate gun on the planet because more deer have been killed with it than anything else.

Like the previous post said " if it were legal to hit stupid people in the head with a bat there would be a 10 ft high pile of corps next to the shooting bench at a public range.

Overheard at the local cafe: "I have no problem hitting moose when they are on the run, but I struggle hitting them if they are standing still. That's why I always fire a warning shot to get them in high gear before taking one."

My stupid brother in law (who is a firearms "expert" and actually does have an FFL) ALWAYS shoots his deer running too (with a slug gun no less). It's just painful to get stuck next to him at the table during the Holidays.

I was at a pistol class near a large metropolitin area where the instructor stated that the most effective self defense 45ACP ammo is 230 grain ball type because, according to his wife that works the local emergency room, wounds from that round were way worse than the other gunshot wounds they see.

You can"t shoot long range with a second focal plane scope. (Every website on the internet)
Scope magnification above 16X will not usually be usable do to mirage. (every website on the internet except Accurate shooters)
High powered optics make the rifle tremble (every website on the internet)
Different caliber rifles or different priced rifles have different definitions of a "good" scope.
The u.s. government developed the 9mm during vietnam because the 45 was not getting it done. (sportsmens warehouse sales rep)
My .5" remington is more accurate than your .25" savage (You would not believe me if I told you were I herd this)
1 MOA rifles are rare and can only be achieved with a 3-6K custom rifle (every guy trying to get out from under his 5K rifle)
Even a good semi auto built on the AK platform is only capable of 4 MOA. (the AK-47 "experts")

Reactions: ReplicaSnipers
That some bullets take 300 or 400 yards to stabilize. In other words, you can shoot a 3" group at 100 yards and miraculously shoot a 3" group at 300 yards because the bullet wasn't stabilized at 100 yards.

I'm not even close to being an engineer, but that never made sense to me.

Well actually in shoot a 308 now that groups 2 inches plus at 100 but shoots about 1 inch at 300 yards. I even have a 6.5 Grendel that does that too. .5 in at 300 and about 1.5 at 100 yards. Kinds nuts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: doctordoctor
I have to take my hat off to you. I'm assuming your Grendel is an AR. If you shoot 1/2" groups with an AR at 300 yards, you are the man.

I have to take my hat off to you. I'm assuming your Grendel is an AR. If you shoot 1/2" groups with an AR at 300 yards, you are the man.

Yes it is. Here's a pic. Some say it is only 3 shots.. well good enough for me. 6.5 Amax with 28.3 gr. XBR
ypamyses.jpg

Reactions: doctordoctor
That someone from the government was "here to help me".

That "I've been doing this longer than you so I know what I'm talking about" partnered with the equally asinine: "I know more than you, which is why I outrank you".
opportunity knocking.........Wow boss, you bean doing it wrong for thirty years and I figured it out in a month. I need a raise.

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
A pistol grip, detachable magazine, adjustable buttstock, muzzle device, etc. make a rifle an "assault weapon" or somehow more dangerous.

Oh yeah, tapered barrel threads on a Remington 700, and the barrel should wobble when partway unscrewed from the receiver.

"All these flaws are just cosmetic. I'm sure the gunsmith used a gauge to check the chamber. To say this shoddy workmanship could get somebody killed is disingenuous."

Last edited:
Just had a 2 day gun show this weekend. The usual dumb shit being said... but these here induce the most rage every time. We have suppressors for sale, and have a bunch of them on display at each show.

"Between me, you, and the fence post... I've played around with building my own suppressors you know... because I have a lathe and stuff."
"I can make my own suppressor with some PVC pipe and a couple washers!"

I think if I hear one more fucking idiot, telling me about the illegal shit he's tried or is trying to do, I'm going to break his fucking knees. I tell them, "This HTA Guardian 22 right here will cost you $400 after all paperwork, taxes, and fees. Is $400 worth risking 10 years in prison, and a hundred thousand dollar fine?" I'm usually met with a blank face. If any of you goddamn idiots that said this to me at the recent gun show are reading this... let me remind you:

Section 15.1 NFA.

15.1.1 Criminal. The acts prohibited by the NFA and prosecutable as Federal offenses are listed in 26 U.S.C. 5861(a) through (l). As provided by 26 U.S.C. 5871, any person who commits an offense shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 10 years or fined. Although the fine specified in the statute is an amount not exceeding $10,000, an amendment to Federal law provides for a fine of not more than $250,000 in the case of an individual or $500,000 in the case of an organization.

15.1.2 Forfeiture. Any firearm involved in any violation of the NFA is subject to seizure and forfeiture.

15.1.3 Assessment of NFA tax. ATF may assess tax liabilities under the NFA, including penalties and interest, as provided by the Internal Revenue Code.

Section 15.2 GCA.

15.2.1 Criminal. The criminal penalties for violations of the GCA are provided for in 18 U.S.C. § 924. The criminal penalties in the GCA include both felonies and misdemeanors. For misdemeanors, the fines would be not more than $100,000 for individuals or $200,000 in the case of organizations. The criminal provisions of the NFA are found in 26 U.S.C. § 5871. As in the case of NFA offenses, fines for violation of the felony provisions would be not more than $250,000 in the case of an individual or $500,000 in the case of an organization.

15.2.2 Forfeiture. The GCA also provides for the forfeiture of firearms and ammunition involved in certain violations of the GCA and other violations of the criminal laws of the United States in 18 U.S.C. 924(d).

15.2.3 License denial or revocation. ATF may issue a notice of denial of an application for a Federal firearms license where it determines that the applicant fails to meet the licensing requirements of 18 U.S.C. 923(d).

It may also issue a notice of revocation of a license when it determines that an FFL has willfully violated the GCA or its implementing regulations.

For the applicable procedures, see ATF’s regulations in 27 CFR Part 478, Subpart E. Note that the courts have held that a person’s conduct was “willful” where the evidence showed that the FFL knew of his legal obligation and disregarded or was plainly indifferent to that obligation. [18 U.S.C. 3571(b) and (c); 26 U.S.C. 5872; 27 CFR 479.191; 27 CFR 478.47, 478.71; 18 U.S.C. 923(e); 27 CFR 478.73; Bryan V. United States, 524 U.S. 184 (1998) [note: this is criminal case, not civil license revocation.]