• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

From the gun counter guy that I work with.
"An AR 15 is a striker fired gun." "The Glock has a direct impingement operating system."
he is a college grad.....

From the gun counter guy that I work with.
"An AR 15 is a striker fired gun." "The Glock has a direct impingement operating system."
he is a college grad.....
Oh believe me, complete idiots can get a bachelors degree. During undergrad, there were times when I wondered how those kids made it that far. The Army is full of retards that graduated from West Point.

Reactions: TiredWings and rsb
As a welder/fabricator, I have the pleasure of dealing with engineers from time to time. I believe they school the common sense right out of themselves. No offense to any engineers on here, just been my experience.

Reactions: Bender
As a welder/fabricator, I have the pleasure of dealing with engineers from time to time. I believe they school the common sense right out of themselves. No offense to any engineers on here, just been my experience.

Lol. Some are not good. Granted marketing can fuck up a wet dream. I have met 30 to 40 of them and one was worth anything. The rest complete and total waste of space.

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

From a non Glock armor at a gun shop. "You need vice grips to put a finger extension on a G26 mag." He didn't want to see you can do it with just an armors tool.

From a local range.

"Suppressors are illegal."
"Prone is the most unsafe shooting position."

Sent from my iPad using smoke signals.

Reactions: Exonautic
A long time ago, there was a casual range on Fort Richardson (Near Anchorage Alaska). There was a guy who was reloading at the bench with a Lee loader. He fired three rounds, decapped and sized, recapped, set the brass on the bench and poured in powder until almost full, seated bullets and fired. The second one blew the receiver apart and nearly tore his scalp off.

When I was in basic training one of the other recruits was telling people about how "those empty-tip bullets will go right through a bullet proof vest. That's why they're illegal." When I overheard this I inquired "Uh... empty-tip bullets...? You mean hollow-points?" His response "Yeah man those empty-tip bullets go straight through vests so they made them illegal." (the kid was from New Jersey. I did not know at the time that New Jersey had restrictions on hollow-points, the details of which are still confusing to me)

This then boiled down to an argument wherein I informed him that he was sadly mistaken, and that hollow-points had less chances of going through a vest than a standard full metal jacket. I also informed him that while he was talking about stuff in which he had no experience, I had in fact shot kevlar vests with various types of ammunition while working as a Reserve Police Officer, and I assured him that the hollow-points did not penetrate. I was then told that my statement was impossible since "empty-tip bullets" were illegal. I informed him that was not the case in my home state and that hollow points were readily available and that every police officer I know carries them.

The response from the group was something to the effect of "I ain't never going to your state. Those police will kill your ass!" (paraphrasing on this one, but all previous quotes are as verbatim as my memory serves)

I was at a local service rifle match and a guy shooting next to me asked what grain I was shooting out of my M1A, I told him 168. He told me that those were only designed to be shot at the 300 yard line and that at 600 they were inaccurate and tumbled.

No...they're quite accurate out to 600 yards through the M1A. Out at 800 is where that bullet starts to go toward subsonic and quite often when pulling targets in the pits when shooting 1000 yards we could always tell who the Service Rifle shooters were because quite often the bullets would keyhole through the target paper! The 168 gr. Sierra bullet was intentionally designed for 300 meter shooting by the US Olympic Team and it has set quite a few records in competition.

Stopped at Cabela’s on the off chance they had full size Glock 9mm magazines (Glock 17/34)
I looked and didn't see any in the “magazine” section.
I asked the first roving store clerk (in the gun section stocking gun stuff); "Do you have any Glock 17 Magazines?"
With a puzzled look he said "yes" down by the checkouts we have a full rack of magazines and I'm sure there are some on Glocks"
...I couldn't speak.
Another clerk overheard our conversation and said "You mean clips!"
And I said; "Damn, I you have a clip that fits a Glock I have to see it!"

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyContractor
I ended up being a bit like Sheldon from the big bang theory when I was in the trade. (I'm a geek at heart)

One of my favorites: "silencers slow the bullets and make them less accurate (customer to his son)", I told him he was wrong, I was then told that he was formally in the army so knew his stuff.

I'm not sure that it was professional to explain free bore boost and the lack of turbulent air flow as the bullet leaves the muzzle, but I did anyway.

And don't bother asking for "heads". My stock reply was you can have bullets, but the heads are connected to the back of the case (where the head stamp is).

So I was on a flight home and this marine range master was beside me. We got talking and he was trying to tell me that after 800 yards a 50 bmg starts to tumble end over end because it starts to "spin back on itself" and that's why it was so accurate.

Needless to say I'm glad the flight landed ten minutes later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure just what it is that attracts skillet heads to me. I guess god likes to have a laugh or two and puts some real winners next to me on my many trips to and from. I've met more Seals, Force Recon, Green Berets, oh and the deadly Snipers etc, that were certainly not what they claimed to be. I've learned to like listening to the guy who says he's a Rifleman, Truck Driver or a Cook. I have to say many of the wacko's are entertaining to say the least.

The guy who told me he carried an M2 on patrol took top honors. I replied "you mean mounted patrols"? No he said, on foot. He used a sling from what I determined was an M60. He even said he fired it while slung over his shoulder! I asked if the ammo got tangled or in his way? He said no, just draped it over his shoulder. WTF!

I finely got to meet my boyhood comic hero "Sergeant Rock". What a stud!

Reactions: rsb and Fig
Years ago I was flying to AK, to my first duty station out of basic. The guy sitting next to me on the flight told me he was a ranger or something, and BSd about some Army/military stuff (cant remember the details). He told me he was flying to AK to be presented a medal by President Bush for things he did in Iraq. Im thinking, great im sitting here next to one of THOSE guys. What an obvious line of BS right? Who's going to believe that?

When I get to where I'm going, I'm told the president is about to land and give a speach while AF1 is being refuled on his way to somewhere. I go to watch and guess who was on stage being presented a medal. Reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

"The .22LR is the most deadly round because it doesn't have enough power to go through you. I heard of a guy that got shot in the head and the bullet was found in his foot!"

True story. lol!

Funny enough, I actually witnessed something like this.

About 5 years ago I was in my last year of cardiac anesthesia training and I was called in for a patient who was shot in the chest. This guy was at our public hospital where we didn't routinely do cardiac cases, but could in an emergency.

Long story short, we discovered that the bullet had transited the left atrium before entering the aorta where it ran out of momentum. It was then carried down the aorta by blood flow and we found it lodged in his femoral artery.

Interestingly, the guy was stable enough after chest tube placement that we elected to wait until morning, when we could transfer him to our cardiac hospital, for definitive repair.

I have no idea what he was shot with, but given the area of town where he was shot it almost certainly was a 9mm. The tissue where it traveled between the atrium and the aorta had fused somewhat and on ultrasound you could see this large jet of blood flowing from the aorta into the atrium. When we opened the pericardium there was surprisingly little blood leaking from the atrial wounds.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

-bsd

Last edited:
Gun laws keep our schools safe

Well than why do we have more mass shootings now that a century ago?

It cannot be easy to find a four year old thread. Still, it's a funny one.

Reactions: Near miss
The one about how the bullet arcs up when it leaves the barrel is still taught by the army. When my son was back from basic a few years ago, I had to reprogram him. He was so confused after learning DS ballistics LOL.

Reactions: McCrazy
The one about how the bullet arcs up when it leaves the barrel is still taught by the army. When my son was back from basic a few years ago, I had to reprogram him. He was so confused after learning DS ballistics LOL.
I have to say in defense of the Army that probably gets lost in translation from class (sitting in the heat/cold on a small bleacher under a shade roof) to describing it to friends and relatives back home. The Army taught it to me, I already knew it, that the point of aim was raised lowered to intersect the line of sight of the barrel. The bullet (M193) crossed the line of sight from an M16A1 at about 27m and 270m with a standard zero. The "point blank zero" was the first I had put it into use. But, I remember how that was taught.

The dumbest thing I ever heard back in the day was from a stuffed shirt idiot "O" type in Ranger school (who later stood in a position so his enlisted classmates all had to salute him as they passed) that the "personal weapon, aka rifle" would be a thing of the past in ten years. That was January 1983.

Last edited:
A counter guy who said he got the facts straight from LL at The 'Hide, that Varget is nothing more than short cut IMR-4895.

Priceless.

He was out of Varget and was trying to make a sale; he had several pounds of IMR-4895. I went home, bought two pounds of Varget from Midway, paid the hazmat, and forged on. It ended up just slightly cheaper than what the guy wanted for the IMR-4895, $39.95/lb asking. Now I'm not averse to paying large for powder or primers when I need them, but buying the wrong stuff for such prices is just nutz.

Greg

Last edited:
“How did you get all of your turrets to zero on your gun, at the zero on the turret....?”

Had no idea you could set the turret back to zero on any of his scopes. “Zero” was numerous random numbers on the turrets.

How did I miss this thread lol. I will have to go back and do some reading. Best one I heard is a guy on Facebook talking about getting a squib stuck in the bore from gas blowby if you don't crimp the bullets. He also said "he's seen guys trim their brass, anneal it, measure their powder with tweezers and then not crimp the bullet at all...They've pissed away a lot of effort and now have a 50/50 chance of the load working or failing." I have plenty more messages similar to this from the guy that I took screenshots of, so if anybody doesn't believe me, I would be happy to text them to you lol. I mentioned having .002" neck tension and I was told that's a poor excuse for not crimping. I don't remember what group it was on but I realized it was full of idiots and quickly left the group.

"Suppressors cause the bullet to lose as much as 200fps!"

"Bullets rise when they come out of the barrel, because the velocity creates so much lift. That's why you have to hold over inside 100yds."

"You don't need those fancy scopes, I shot a deer at 400yds last fall with my 270."

On and on it goes. If it were legal to hit stupid people in the head with a bat, there would be a pile of corpses 10 feet high next to our tables at gun shows.

This bullets ride thing is actually a widely taught misconception, crazy...

Yeah...but who teaches it? I know the Army didn't teach that.

Sort of. We were told that when aiming at certain targets on the qual range, we would have to hold low (Probably the 25 or 50m?) because the "bullet is still rising." To be honest, in basic we were only really taught enough to be accidentally dangerous to the enemy or to our own weapons.

Reactions: Iusmc2002 and rsb
I finely got to meet my boyhood comic hero "Sergeant Rock". What a stud!

Mine too.
I keep threatening my wife that on our next trip to the barber I'm going to instruct him to cut the kid's hair like Sgt. Rock. She doesn't know what that is, but assumes it's bad. I don't even know what it is. I don't think Sgt. Rock ever took his helmet off! ;)

Sort of. We were told that when aiming at certain targets on the qual range, we would have to hold low (Probably the 25 or 50m?) because the "bullet is still rising." To be honest, in basic we were only really taught enough to be accidentally dangerous to the enemy or to our own weapons.
And therin is where it seems to get lost in translation. The bullet is "rising" in comparison to line of sight. As we all know the bullet is dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel.

FWIW, there were a number of training aids when I went through basic and an instruction manual that all clearly showed the path of the bullet vs. the line of sight of the shooter. So, it's bullshchitt that jr. came home from the Army being taught wrong. If the Army was remiss in anything it was not gretting some head-prongs to pull jr's head out of his ass, but passing him through basic anyways.

Added:

SFC Rock has a "tight" high and tight, Army style not Marine style.

Last edited:
I worked with a few liberals in Houston so they always had some stupid remarks about me going hunting or shooting. the best one was, "why do you murder animals? why don't you go to the store where the meat is made?" I'm pretty sure I farted I laughed so hard and then started to cry because this person is allowed to vote and have kids.

On a box of 22 lr: dangerous to 1.5 miles

At a private range in NH during my interview last year: “you can shoot 338 Lapua, but you can’t shoot 338 Lapua Magnum. It’s too powerful and will go right through the 15 foot berm and kill the guys working the targets”

At another private range in Maine during orientation: “A 50 BMG round will travel through 35 feet of earth”

I thought I was on candid camera on the 2nd one

The greates I’ve ever heard was from my grandfather. He once told me he could shoot 3 rounds and have the holes touching each other, at 300 yds...with an m1 garand. An honorable mention was an old Air Force chief who told me the 50 cal didn’t have a real max effective range. I asked him if the round went into orbit and he gave me a weird look.

I had a guy try to tell me that "they" designed the .45 ACP in WWI to blow Germans back out of the trenches as they jumped in. The gentlemen trying to explain this to me was a lawyer, who was also a reserve officer in the Army. He said that he was told this little gem as part of his Army related training (don't remember which phase). As I tried to explain the mind boggling simple physics that proves this "wisdom" wrong, he stated that the only reason you can shoot a 1911 and not get blown off your feet is that it has a spring in the operating system that soaks up the energy. When I mentioned that a .44 Magnum revolver has no such operating mechanism, and has quite a bit more energy than a .45 ACP, he responded "the .45 was designed to blow Germans back out of the trenches in WWI".

I also had a guy who claimed to be a professional hunting guide insist that the number on a box of ammo that was specified in grains was the weight of powder in the case. So, a box of 168gr .308 had 168 grains of powder in each round.

I've heard so much stupid shit related to guns that I've lost track, but those two are the crown jewels of my collection.

Wait... wait. I've got one more.

"HK makes the best handguns available, because they hold the most patents." The same person has also told me that 10mm is the best caliber, bar none... and that the S&W 340PD is the ultimate carry gun for all people.

While taking my pistol permit class (after carrying with a permit in another state for 9years) the INSTRUCTOR told the class that a 115 FMJ 9mm had 115 grains of gun powder in it. I did a double take. I decided not to embarrass him since I had already paid for the class and wanted my permit.

I went shooting with a co-worker one time and he asked me if I had a 500 yard rifle. My reply was,"yes its a .308." His reply-"you cant shoot 500 yards with a .308!"

We are here to win the Hearts and Minds of the Enemy...... 2003 Baghdad INT Airport.

At a gun counter in my local shop - They won't let me buy a gun, so my mom will come in and buy it for me.

this one is actually true.

a .22 can actually travel well over a mile.......its not likely to be deadly at that range, but certainly dangerous.

I have shot out to about 5-600 with a 22, not necessarily aiming at anything, but just shooting into an empty field and watching the dirt kick up. I was probably aiming up around 10 degrees. Out much further, the impact wouldn't be much more than the bullet falling out of the sky under gravity

Had an Army Ranger tell me he used a 308 Lapua Magnum as his sniper rife. The same guy explained that the 5.56 is the most dangerous round on the face of the planet because he could shoot an insurgent in the upper right chest and the bullet would travel down the body and end up in his leg. The damage was so great, no one could live after being shot with one.

Had an Army Ranger tell me he used a 308 Lapua Magnum as his sniper rife. The same guy explained that the 5.56 is the most dangerous round on the face of the planet because he could shoot an insurgent in the upper right chest and the bullet would travel down the body and end up in his leg. The damage was so great, no one could live after being shot with one.
“Army Ranger”....... lol

Reactions: rsb
What’s the most stupidest thing I’ve ever done did!?

When we were kids, my most intelligent friends and I would shoot 22’s across the lake and count the hops... Fast forward 20 something years and all the boxes say that :poop:

So, the question begs, is this guy really a Ranger? Big difference in a M193 fired from a 1-12" twist M16A1 or especially the 1-14" twisted original M16, and M855 fired from the 1-7" twisted M16A2 and later variants.