• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

When I was a kid my best friend and I were on the way to school in his car. We see a sign that says "deaf child area" and right after we pass the sign a dog runs out into the road, we have to step on the brakes to make sure we don't hit it. We get going again and my friend, totally deadpan serious, says, "That must be his dog".

Shit like that is why we're still friends to this day, lol.

"This 30.06 is a hammer" says the duff sporting a old junker with the cheapest scope known to man and a 20 pack of ammo he rattled out of the bottom of the safe. He insisted on shooting it right away at 200 to save ammo. He fired 6x at a set of targets 4' wide by 2' tall as I spotted him. I called out no hits and he scoffs "I know I hit the target". He marched down to the target proud and we could all watch him search high an low, then come back to the bench with head hung low. Ended up being 2' off at 100 and put 6" groups downrange at 100 once he got it "zeroed".

His son also had a rifle he wanted to zero but was more open to suggestion. He started at 100 and this rifle would not group worth a shit, I'm talking 8-10" and all over the target. I suggested he shoot a known 308 to see if he could shoot. Three go into an inch on said target. I then suggest his scope is likely trash. Duff kicks in "isn't anything wrong with that scope", we never did get a zero at 200, and I felt bad for the kid knowing he was going on a trip he was excited for.

"This 30.06 is a hammer" says the duff sporting a old junker with the cheapest scope known to man and a 20 pack of ammo he rattled out of the bottom of the safe. He insisted on shooting it right away at 200 to save ammo. He fired 6x at a set of targets 4' wide by 2' tall as I spotted him. I called out no hits and he scoffs "I know I hit the target". He marched down to the target proud and we could all watch him search high an low, then come back to the bench with head hung low. Ended up being 2' off at 100 and put 6" groups downrange at 100 once he got it "zeroed".

His son also had a rifle he wanted to zero but was more open to suggestion. He started at 100 and this rifle would not group worth a shit, I'm talking 8-10" and all over the target. I suggested he shoot a known 308 to see if he could shoot. Three go into an inch on said target. I then suggest his scope is likely trash. Duff kicks in "isn't anything wrong with that scope", we never did get a zero at 200, and I felt bad for the kid knowing he was going on a trip he was excited for.

That's fucking sad that some idiot is going to ruin his son's hunting trip due to his massive combination of ego and stupidity

Reactions: DirtyContractor
MT guns told me verbally over the phone he would not build me up a tikka 595 in .308 because a .308 could not reach 1000 yards...... This was back when he was a good source for the Master Sporter Stocks.
Really?

What a fucking tool

308pirate, it was unreal. I have access to a private pit that we can shoot in and these guys were relatives of the owners. They showed up while we were doing some load work and zeroing on other rifles so we setup to help them figuring it would take 20-30 minutes to zero three rifles. I feel like the old guy got pissed when he couldn't hit the targets and was just bitter after that. He literally had 4-5 different brands/weights of ammo and expected a consistent zero/group. He scoffed at proven rifles because they "weren't like grandpas" and then likely fucked his kid out of a successful elk hunting trip. Ended up being quite the 2 hours at the shooting bench.

An update... Pretty much all of these are WTF's.

A) I was told in person that any type of gunpowder would work for anything, you just had to vary the amount of it. Walked away.

B) 300WM would chamber and fire in a 338LM barrel since it was smaller and had a band to make up the chamber difference. Like .38 Special out of a .357 Magnum. Chuckled, walked away.

C) You have to remove the gas tube on an AR to fire VLD bullets - so you can single feed them. Laughed, said "oh wow". Business meeting. Ignored the rest of the dinner.

D) The Internet is completely owned and operated out of Facebook and Google headquarters. (An Intern at work - figures).

E) Electricity is only dangerous if it's AC. Evidently DC is entirely safe at 600V (no, it's not). Systems engineer. I think he lives with his Mom maybe. Enough said.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it."

NOTE: I know it's more of a lie than a stupid statement but I thought I'd put it in here anyway.

Reactions: AIAW
308pirate, it was unreal. I have access to a private pit that we can shoot in and these guys were relatives of the owners. They showed up while we were doing some load work and zeroing on other rifles so we setup to help them figuring it would take 20-30 minutes to zero three rifles. I feel like the old guy got pissed when he couldn't hit the targets and was just bitter after that. He literally had 4-5 different brands/weights of ammo and expected a consistent zero/group. He scoffed at proven rifles because they "weren't like grandpas" and then likely fucked his kid out of a successful elk hunting trip. Ended up being quite the 2 hours at the shooting bench.
I won't help ANYONE at the range unless it's someone I brought with me with that purpose in mind.

My time is too valuable to waste on morons.

Count to 4. If you do not feel the opening shock, turn your head, grasp the reserve ripcord handle, pull and throw away. Your reserve WILL inflate.

Yeah right.

i used to pull the cord on mine once on the ground....just to make them repack it. if you read the tags, some of them fuckers had been packed for eons.

Glad someone appreciates it. The T11 reserves are actually much better. We were specifically told by more experienced jumpers that when using the T10 reserves to be prepared to fluff out our own chute as they would tend to just fall out of the pack tray in a lump.

always read the pack log

Reactions: rsb
Heard this one the other day at indoor 100 yard range. "Be sure and zero on the low power range of your scope. It'll be spot on further out then." It was a SFP scope.

This whole thread is full of fudd.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/moa-vs-mil.6922029/

E5346678-9510-40A7-9241-DC7B56C575E4.png

This old guy, that had a reloading store local to me, said this.

When I was young I could see bullet holes at 500Y. Me - that was with a spotting scope right??? Him - no with my eyes, I didn't need no scope.

I was a bit embarrassed because I couldn't help but giggle! It still cracks me up!

Of course this guy is well known to be a total BS'er and has plenty of tall tales about his early days. Poor guy supposedly burned his eyes welding and always comes in dead last at the pistol matches.

This old guy, that had a reloading store local to me, said this.

When I was young I could see bullet holes at 500Y. Me - that was with a spotting scope right??? Him - no with my eyes, I didn't need no scope.

I was a bit embarrassed because I couldn't help but giggle! It still cracks me up!

Of course this guy is well known to be a total BS'er and has plenty of tall tales about his early days. Poor guy supposedly burned his eyes welding and always comes in dead last at the pistol matches.
I shot a groundhog from 300 yards with a 1903 Springfield. I hit him in the right eye. It's the gospel truth!

Nowadays, everyone videos their long range kills. I did that with iron sights and no video. The problem is that nobody was there to see me do it.

So whenever I tell anyone about my 300 yard groundhog kill with an iron-sighted Springfield they look at me like I got two heads.

My vision use to be better than 20/10 but there's no way I could see a .30 caliber hole in paper at 500 yards, but I sure as heck shot that groundhog without a scope.

Reactions: steve123
I shot a groundhog from 300 yards with a 1903 Springfield. I hit him in the right eye. It's the gospel truth!

Nowadays, everyone videos their long range kills. I did that with iron sights and no video. The problem is that nobody was there to see me do it.

So whenever I tell anyone about my 300 yard groundhog kill with an iron-sighted Springfield they look at me like I got two heads.

My vision use to be better than 20/10 but there's no way I could see a .30 caliber hole in paper at 500 yards, but I sure as heck shot that groundhog without a scope.

best i ever pulled off with irons was the 1 time i fired an m1 garand. my buddy had picked up a nice one, and offered to let me shoot it. he had an orange on the top of a fencepost at 300 yards. i had NEVER shot the rifle before, or an m1 for that matter. i asked if i could dry fire it a couple of times, he said no problem.

so i did, and it was a SWEET trigger for a battle rifle. anywho...i sat down, drew a bead, and let it go. center punched that damn orange...which having NOT sighted the rifle in, or knowing where it would hit at that distance, was a lucky shot. his wife, who was a very pretty woman, said “i bet you can’t do that again” to which i said, “if we are betting, it has to be something JUICY...” and my buddy cut me off and proclaimed (much to my relief) “nope. you aint betting him.”. lol.

as far as the stupidest thing i ever heard....good grief. unfortunately, i’ve heard so much stupid shit, i just try to forget it and distance myself from people who spout it....that kinda stuff can rub off on ya if you aint careful.

Heard this one the other day at indoor 100 yard range. "Be sure and zero on the low power range of your scope. It'll be spot on further out then." It was a SFP scope.
You're confusing your zero with BDC drops.......They're not the same.

And the statement you mock is actually correct for any quality scope without zero shift.

as far as the stupidest thing i ever heard....good grief. unfortunately, i’ve heard so much stupid shit, i just try to forget it and distance myself from people who spout it....that kinda stuff can rub off on ya if you aint careful.
In shooting, hearing stupid shit is the order of the day really. I used to be one of the most helpful people I know, today I tend to be like an above ^^^ poster.
The tough part is some slip though your defense system and you think they stand a chance, they nod, agree, act interested and then they drop the fucking bomb on you.
I helped build a somewhat semi private range, and it has been kind of expected of me to help, it gets tougher by the outing.

Reactions: myronman3
I have no problem helping people, new and experienced in different areas. It's when they don't retain the information that you are trying to teach them that gets me. That and the blatant "can't you just do it for me" attitude. Nope, sorry. Happens the most in both the marksmanship fundamentals and reloading departments. That's why Frank has to inundate people with the basics over and over here - no one retains it.

People that mistake kindness for weakness are also in for a rude awakening.

MT guns told me verbally over the phone he would not build me up a tikka 595 in .308 because a .308 could not reach 1000 yards...... This was back when he was a good source for the Master Sporter Stocks.

Hi,

That just does not make since...Mak Tilton built more Palma Class rifles on Barnard receivers than anyone else in the world.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Bender
Oh, I forgot about this one.

I'm out shooting and run into a guy I'd seen before years ago. He has a Savage 6.5Creed and a basic 3-9 mounted on it - first clue.

He shoots many rounds at a 1 foot wide steel at 500Y, walking in shots before he hits it -2nd clue.

I offered to let him shoot my 223AI with a Athlon Ares 4.5-27 on it. I show him the page on SHOOTER app with my dope in elevation and wind. Show him how to both dial and holdover, he rarely missed that same steel.

He wants to look at some other less expensive Athlon scopes of mine to consider buying one. I fully explain it all, FFP, tree reticles, etc.

Last thing he says before he leaves, do they make a FFP with duplex reticle, I don't like all those lines. Me, face palming inside, and trying not to lose it. Hadn't heard that one yet, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender and PBWalsh
Not neccisarily stupid statements but whenever someone tries to prank a complete stranger by frightening them that's really idiotic.

I remember when I was in college and the paintball guns first hit the scene the fraternities would conduct the "assassinations" with the paintball guns. These stupid pranks would be done at night against the victim. The weapon is, of course, a paint ball gun. It will also look like a real gun in the low light.

I don't know about you guys but if someone is pointing a thing that looks like a real gun at me, I'm returning the favor and it won't be with paintballs.

Nowadays the scary pranks are not just with paintball guns but could still get the prankster hurt or killed...

You only need to watch about 30 seconds in this clip as the rest of the video is anti-climatic.

This is not a prank but wins the Darwin Award:

It didn't give any indication of capsizing while I was there during typhoon Russ, but that was 28 years ago. Things may be different now :rolleyes:

Wow that was a blast from the past! I was there for Russ also and no the island didn't didn't capsize but the typhoon sure did a job on the power grid.

Reactions: kindabitey
Was told by a guy that was in the marines back around 2005 that shooting past 1k yards was fairly new and that when he was in they didn't have rangefinders that were good much past 800 yards.

"Bullets rise when they come out of the barrel, because the velocity creates so much lift. That's why you have to hold over inside 100yds."

Heard this one too. The guy even called it a “lazy ‘S”. So it has a name now I guess lol

Since bullets are symmetrical, any lift they created would be in all directions thereby negating any lift effect. In fact, they do create lift but don't rise for the reasons I stated.

I guess I will get back to work now.

My fav was the ram rod left in the muzzle loader killing the deer.

I hear so much BS spewed at ranges. I hardly talk to anybody.

One that sticks out in my mind was when a shooter dared to question the range office manager about their FMJ rule, the guy responded "BECAUSE I FUCKING SAID SO!". He had been asked about the rule 1 too many times that day I guess.

Gun stores...That is right. The amount of BS you will hear spouted out by both salesmen and customers are beyond staggering.

One time a father wanted to introduce his 7 year old son to shooting and specifically stated that he was looking for something that the boy can "grow up on" and not too much to otherwise scare or discourage him. The associate helping him must NOT have heard this part because he kept going on and on about how "10mm will do this, 10mm will do that" etc. I had to politely insert myself into the conversation and play retail for that part. Eventually the man settled on a nice Ruger 10/22 and a few boxes of cartridges. Good choice right there.

Another time, a couple of years back, I overheard another counter guy trying to sell a Springfield XD-45. Okay, nice.....Until he got to the part about what the "ACP" in .45 ACP meant. His own words: "And not only is this a powerful cartridge, do you know what ACP stands for?.....It means that whoever gets hit by one of these will be picked up and thrown back into the floor by the sheer force of the impact alone"...

Yeah, all I did was shake my head slightly. I was looking for a canister of Trail Boss smokeless powder and that store didn't have any, so I ended up ordering a couple online later.

Reactions: myronman3
"Man" has his 10-ish - year - old son out for his first try at skeet (real skeet field, not a hand thrower flipping clays 30 yards). The boy is carrying a single-shot break-action 12-gauge, which weighs maybe five pounds. Remembering the one and only shot I ever fired from one of those - I literally saw stars - I politely ask the guy if he might want to try a smaller-guage youth-model autoloader I could make available so recoil wouldn't be so much a factor. The clown said no, he wanted to give the boy the large pattern to increase hits and build confidence.

I watched that poor kid start with essentially no prep/coaching from "dad." With each shot, his head snapped like he'd been punched and he barely stayed on his feet. After maybe five or six shots, he staggered off the station crying and shot no more. He never came within ten feet of hitting a target.

It causes me almost physical pain to see a youngster, excited about learning to shoot, get pounded physically and emotionally because of f***ing idiots like that.

Guns stores and gun ranges are a gold mine for stupidity. And yes, new shooters suffering because whoever is teaching them is a moron burns my ass. People have died from incidents like that. One kid i read about fired a big bore handgun and the barrel swung around and cracked him so hard it killed him.

Many times, i wonder how stupid you have to be.

"Man" has his 10-ish - year - old son out for his first try at skeet (real skeet field, not a hand thrower flipping clays 30 yards). The boy is carrying a single-shot break-action 12-gauge, which weighs maybe five pounds. Remembering the one and only shot I ever fired from one of those - I literally saw stars - I politely ask the guy if he might want to try a smaller-guage youth-model autoloader I could make available so recoil wouldn't be so much a factor. The clown said no, he wanted to give the boy the large pattern to increase hits and build confidence.

I watched that poor kid start with essentially no prep/coaching from "dad." With each shot, his head snapped like he'd been punched and he barely stayed on his feet. After maybe five or six shots, he staggered off the station crying and shot no more. He never came within ten feet of hitting a target.

It causes me almost physical pain to see a youngster, excited about learning to shoot, get pounded physically and emotionally because of f***ing idiots like that.
I haven't pulled the trigger on a shotgun in years. However, I belong to several ranges and usually at one of them a lot.

Almost always, I bring a .22 LR or air rifle. If there is a new shooter there and just watching, I invite them to have fun with my .22 rifle or air gun. That's because they usually end up watching someone else shoot.

If the new shooter (whether or not it's a child or an adult) gets to shoot the other persons gun, it's usually not very accurate.

That's when I let them blast away with my tack drivers. It's not fun unless they are hitting the target. The new shooters end up wanting to do more.

I have just as much enjoyment by just watching them have fun. I usually end up making a new friend in the process.

My friend's son was 11 at the time and pretty experienced with firearms. Nevertheless, I asked him if he wanted to shoot my .458 Winchester Magnum. I also told him that it was basically a shoulder held artillery piece but without the recuperating mechanism.

He was reluctant to say yes until I told him about the little girl in the following video. I said, "don't forget, that there are girls that shoot these rifles."

He had to take the dare! Keep in mind that he has shot other center-fire rifles before but not the .458. I had him use the tripod, told him to pull tight and lean into the weapon. He must have put a couple dozen rounds through that rifle and smiled every time he pulled the trigger.

I would never do that with a new shooter but this kid was tough and had plenty of experience with other guns.

The little lady in the first video was probably 13 at the time. English is her 2nd language and the audio is poor but you have to admire a kid like this and how much she loves to shoot.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
i used to pull the cord on mine once on the ground....just to make them repack it. if you read the tags, some of them fuckers had been packed for eons.
What was the maximum time until these had to be repacked? I really wish I had pulled at least one just as I just before I was going to do my PLF or the abbreviated feet ass head.....

Working at the gun shop a guy came in and asked if I had any 308s in a long action. After explaining how that's not the standard production i asked why he wanted a long action 308. His response... "Because long actions shoot further than short actions. Did you not know that."

Had to get my buddy to "ask if he had ever heard of such thing." And so this guy could "educate us".

Walked into a Jax outdoor gear store (local chain in CO). They had 3 RPRs laying on the wall btw.

Me: Do you guys got any Magpul AICS 10 rounders?
Jax: Humongous eyeball raise of offense plus actual quote from 70 year old fudd--> "We don't sell military grade equipment here"
Me: lol

Jax @ Lafayette Co. Add them to the list of fuckoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Krob95