• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

When I was 10 my Mother and sister said one of you boys is really smart. I was thirty when i figured out who among us brothers it was...

• Haha
Reactions: Habu64 and lash
me telling every girl I met... just the tip

“DO NOT DRINK THE NON-POTABLE WATER”

That’s only true if the Non-Potable water is put in and MARKED Non-Potable containers and NOT put in potable ice.

After a very hot mnorning in the bush and a very, very long time in the heat of the day waiting for a bird to take us back to our hill, we enjoyed sucking on some ice. (We were supposed to be there for a few minutes, to check on some equipment and climb right back on the original bird to fly back to our hill...but some boobs, did not mark the map correctly and we spent hours searching for the errant equipment).

the ice was there at that little LZ and it was a lifesaver. But in reality it was a stomach killer. It was non-potable and I suffer to this day with stomach ailments. (September 1971 I-Corps)

Just dealing with this guy last few days hunting, we got invited to come out for some big white tails (which we have yet to see).
Anyways he busted out his 6.5cm RPR for hunting, and while I was talking to him he proceeded to say “The 6.5cm has more muzzle energy at 1000yards than a 300wm”. I didn’t have the heart to disagree with him, been told he is strongly opinionated and you can change his mind.
He also went on to tell me that my tikka is a toy gun and the action is extremely sloppy in them, saying his multiple Rugers are much tighter action.

Just dealing with this guy last few days hunting, we got invited to come out for some big white tails (which we have yet to see).
Anyways he busted out his 6.5cm RPR for hunting, and while I was talking to him he proceeded to say “The 6.5cm has more muzzle energy at 1000yards than a 300wm”. I didn’t have the heart to disagree with him, been told he is strongly opinionated and you can change his mind.
He also went on to tell me that my tikka is a toy gun and the action is extremely sloppy in them, saying his multiple Rugers are much tighter action.
As a RPR owner that really enjoys his rifle, I have to say that the bolt throw is like 3 miles of ungraded gravel road. It is accurate though...

Reactions: Krazy_jim
A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.
Just let him dribble shit, then own him on the range.
Mr DribbleShit
"Tikka is junk"
Me
"You ever used one"?
Mr DribbleShit
"Nah, but everyone knows that they are Russian pieces of shit."

Not firearm related but definitely, no THE MIOST STUPID statement I ever heard. (This coming from a Education Trainer from Northwest Louisiana University, an institution that specializes in education and teaching.)

“Forget the basics, they will never learn that anyway, just go straight to the advanced”

Ever try to teach someone even very, very simple algebraic equations when they have no conception on how to add or subtract?

I tried, the Good LORD knows I tried every trick My brain could come up with, but even my bright kids, never could grasp math having never been taught the basics (of how to add and subtract)

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
If I may resurrect this thread…
Heard in the local watering hole after the second day of deer season.
“It was too dark to see but I took a few sound shots. Couldn’t find any blood so I guess I missed”
“I’ll try again tomorrow night”
“Sound Shots”??? Guess that’s some new technique. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

A friend is in a deer camp with a group he never hunted with before. Mostly it was a drunk camp. He’d would have left if he hadn’t come with one of the guys.
For days they have been raving about deep fat fried liver. So someone scored a deer. They got the fire hot and the oil smoking. Then beer breath #1 drops in the liver, then proceeds to dump a double hand full of white powder into the pot. “You got to salt the oil for it to be just right”
Trouble was, it was sugar – not salt. The whole mix blasted everywhere.
But darned if “The Boys” didn't just chug some more beer, whiskey, and eat the stuff.
Sugar Glazed Liver. Nothing better.

My friend said that was the longest weekend of his life.
All the Best,
Jeff

1613445420772.png

View attachment 7558164
And it was added after being seconded. I only found it because of this post.

Objects traveling supersonic create a pressure wave traveling in front, and radiating off of it in a cone shape. If the pressure wave is close enough and powerful enough, it could do some damage.
Silver tip is API right?

Reactions: clcustom1911
Interesting video, but I still maintain that objects traveling supersonic (and even subsonic) create a pressure wave in front that radiates in a cone shape. Stand next to the road when a big truck goes by at sufficient speed.
Just because you say it 3 times doesn’t make it true.

I’d let this one go if I were you

just friendly advice

Forums have less drama than Facebook.
Heh I remember I was shopping around for a 12ga, and on one of the other gun forums I asked a simple and I thought innocent question. Overall which is better? Mossburg 500 or Remington 870 express? Whooooo weeee that opened up a vicious war. Never really did get a straight answer. 🤣

I still maintain that objects traveling supersonic (and even subsonic) create a pressure wave in front that radiates in a cone shape. Stand next to the road when a big truck goes by at sufficient speed.

You're confusing the dynamic pressure that a vehicle experiences traveling through a fluid with the turbulent, non-laminar flow of air over a very non-aerodynamic vehicle (a truck).

Like others said, I'd let this one drop unless you have significant education and experience in fluid mechanics or aerospace engineering.

Heh I remember I was shopping around for a 12ga, and on one of the other gun forums I asked a simple and I thought innocent question. Overall which is better? Mossburg 500 or Remington 870 express? Whooooo weeee that opened up a vicious war.

It's amazing how some people wrap up their identify and self on some cheap ass shotgun, or any object for that matter

Reactions: Aries256
Interesting video, but I still maintain that objects traveling supersonic (and even subsonic) create a pressure wave in front that radiates in a cone shape. Stand next to the road when a big truck goes by at sufficient speed.
I can’t recall the last super sonic transport truck I got close to. It was that uneventful.

Reactions: Rookie
Objects traveling supersonic create a pressure wave traveling in front, and radiating off of it in a cone shape. If the pressure wave is close enough and powerful enough, it could do some damage.

Please don’t tell me you think he missed and still killed that deer?

"I measure distance with my left thumbnail"
He never said to me what it was in relation to. Just that he could always know the range due to his thumbnail.🤔
At first I thought the derr was 100 yards, but I measured it with my thumb and it was actually 110 yards so I corrected and hit right whede I wanted. Only took 3 shots with the ol 30-30.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Please don’t tell me you think he missed and still killed that deer?
I watched the video a couple days ago but left it muted. After reading your post I thought I’d better here what he has to say. Holy shit. I think I lost 12 IQ points.

No. If you watch the video closely, it looks like he shot it through the eyes. But, I bet this wouldn't have to contact your body to kill you:
Supersonic object - pressure wave
There is a very very big difference between that and a bullet namely the mass of the air in front for the size of the object creating the shockwave.

There is a big difference between a pea going supersonic vs a building going supersonic. Bullets are tiny.

For example a 0.5" diameter circle has an area of 0.196 square inches. A 10' dia circle has an area of 11,309 square inches. An object going supersonic has to force all of that air out of the way around the sides.

Doing a little quick research. Check this out.

According to that most people are killed at a 10 psi overpressure (294mph wind) and fatalities approach 100% at 20 psi (502 mph wind) . Putting that in terms of a nuke according to a book that I have (that was checkout able in my high school). A 200kt nuke will put out a 20psi overpressure out to a mile, 10 psi out to 1.4 miles.

The book.
20210219_013630.jpg

Most damage that I think I've ever heard from supersonic aircraft is glass is cracked or shattered. That is a 1psi overpressure (38 mph wind). Same nuke as above will do that at 5.9 miles away.
20210219_013522.jpg

Taking all of this info and doing a gut scaling common sense check along with the experimental testing with the 50 bmg like in the video posted in post 1530 shows why this is so stupid.

Edit: and no I'm not an engineer. I have common sense.

Last edited:
Common sense is far from common. If a 50 cal passing close by can damage you, why aren’t people close to the weapon injured when firing it. Why isn’t a muzzle safe radius drilled into gunners so that don’t injure their brothers in arms. For something so “well known” the armed forces certainly seemed to have missed regulations and training for it. For a group that has a field manual that tells you how to wipe you butt properly, that’s hell of an oversight.

I’m sure someone has been underneath a 50 on a hummer when it let off. Did they die? No, they went deaf and got royally pissed off that it happened.

It‘s like people saying a 45 acp will knock you off your feet. So why can I stay standing and fire rapid strings with it then? Hello basic physics....

I‘m always saddened that people glom onto a single statement and don’t do anything to look at it more broadly and see that it makes no sense. But it does explain why the country is in the mess it’s in.