• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

From my original post:
"If the pressure wave is close enough and powerful enough, it could do some damage."

Do you disagree with this?
I do, yes.
How much closer, or more powerful does the, “pressure wave” need to be to knock over that house of cards?

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate and lash
No paypal, no credit card, no other form of buyer's protection. Just send me thousands in cash or money order, and maybe if this stranger-to-you is actually a good person, I'll send you this rifle/optic/accessory in the condition I said it was in or at all. Don't worry. You can trust me. A group of other complete strangers, or maybe bots, said I was a great seller.

From my original post:
"If the pressure wave is close enough and powerful enough, it could do some damage."

Do you disagree with this?
Man, I really hate to weigh in on this. The pressure wave from even a large bullet is small enough and weak enough that you can't get close enough to do any damage. Even a few fractions of an inch isn't close enough. Now I hate myself for stating something so obvious outloud.

Man, I really hate to weigh in on this. The pressure wave from even a large bullet is small enough and weak enough that you can't get close enough to do any damage. Even a few fractions of an inch isn't close enough. Now I hate myself for stating something so obvious outloud.
Yup. So often people confuse the potential gradient with the capacity to do useful work. Like those plasma balls where the plasma trails follow your hands as you touch the globe. The plasma is at a temperature of thousands of degrees, but you feel nothing. Huge potential gradient, zero capacity for useful work. A match is frigid by comparison, but no way am I sticking my finger in the flame...

Even a close-passing truck at 60 mph can knock you off your feet if you aren't ready for it.

That's not a pressure wave.

1613751253960.png

Reactions: spife7980
This is the stupidest fuggin thing to argue about. Just imagine for a second that there was a cylinder of air 1/2" in diameter next to your skin and it was a COMPLETE vacuum. Air pressure is 14.7 psi. That's the pressure of everything around you and your skin trying to fill that void. Imagine hanging a 7.5 lbs weight for every inch of the length an object is glued to your skin. Will it tear? No. So, if the vacuum can't reasonably do it, what about the pressure on the leading edge of the bullet?

Again, no. The pressure wave pushes that cylinder of air out to the area around it, but it doesn't all go to one side. It goes to the entire circumference of the bullet. Once it fills the same volume outside of the cylinder as the volume of the bullet inside of the cylinder, and again assuming the PERFECT vacuum in the cylinder and air displaced to the area outside of the cylinder, which is an assumption that's not even close but highly favors the near-miss destruction argument, it would double the pressure -- twice the air molecules in the same amount of space. So, how far from the edge of the bullet would that be? I've done the math: it would be 0.207 extra inches. So, if a bullet passed just 2 tenth of an inch from you, you would not feel more than 14.7 psi extra. Put a 15 lbs weight on a 1"^2 area of your skin. Maybe it would be uncomfortable. Damage? No.

The physics may support that at some razor-thin distance from a bullet without actually touching the skin, you might tear the skin ever so slightly.... maybe. Or maybe the incoming shockwave would just push the skin enough away that it wouldn't tear at all. At a distance that close, though, you might as well just say the bullet hit you, for all practical purposes.

If none of that makes any sense to them, or they're one of the anti-intellectual knuckle draggers that like to deny facts and science, then just invite them to watch:

Last edited:
Reactions: Krawlven

View attachment 7561286

View attachment 7561286
One way to understand it, is to find someone who has an airplane. It doesn't even have to be fast. I do this all the time for kids. An airplane at a speed of 100 knots or more is fast enough. Maintain level flight and altitude, then initiate a 20 to 25 degree bank turn left or right about 45 to 60 degrees and be careful to maintain altitude. You will eventually fly through the pressure waves you were creating before you turned. It feels just like you are running over your own boat wake if you were in a boat. The only difference is the pressure waves are air and not water.

Reactions: shoobe01
We’re not the ones who don’t understand it.
That’s simple fluid dynamics.

Reactions: 308pirate
One way to understand it, is to find someone who has an airplane. It doesn't even have to be fast. I do this all the time for kids. An airplane at a speed of 100 knots or more is fast enough. Maintain level flight and altitude, then initiate a 20 to 25 degree bank turn left or right about 45 to 60 degrees and be careful to maintain altitude. You will eventually fly through the pressure waves you were creating before you turned. It feels just like you are running over your own boat wake if you were in a boat. The only difference is the pressure waves are air and not water.
So, turbulence then. 😉

That's a turbulent wake. In a light aircraft mostly caused by propwash and a little bit from the tip vortices. The bow wave is long gone by the time you cross your own wake.

I love it when these types of people back every thing up very scientifically with “it makes sense”. I guess looking around then the earth is flat, after all it “makes sense”.

I survey with gyroscopes for a living. Their measurements come from the rotation of the earth. I absolutely love flat earthers, some of the most entertaining people on earth.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate

Explain how a 50 cal, or any bullet really, only leaves bullet sized holes in paper if it can kill a deer with the "pressure wave".

Also explain why this massive pressure wave powerful enough to kill the deer without hitting it doesn't blow the fur off a critter it actually hits.

I really have a feeling this is an epic troll in this thread...

I'm a private pilot. And an engineer.

But thanks anyway........

Call it what you want. Anything flying through the air displaces the air and causes a momentary differential in the air pressure.

Not the UFO I saw last week. No air pressure difference for over 10k miles. I calculated it to be flying at Mach 9.327460819.

Explain how a 50 cal, or any bullet really, only leaves bullet sized holes in paper if it can kill a deer with the "pressure wave".
Again, from my original post:

Now, I don't know if a .50 BMG would be up to the task. Also, as I said earlier, I think he shot the deer through the eyes.

Call it what you want. Anything flying through the air displaces the air and causes a momentary differential in the air pressure.
At the risk of repeating something already said, it’s fluid dynamics. Can’t remember whether 101 or 102. When you remember how water creates wake and turbulence, you’ll realize that it not a pressure wave, but turbulence. Those are not two different ways to say the same thing. They are different.

Reactions: Tokay444
At the risk of repeating something already said, it’s fluid dynamics. Can’t remember whether 101 or 102. When you remember how water creates wake and turbulence, you’ll realize that it not a pressure wave, but turbulence. Those are not two different ways to say the same thing. They are different.
The effect as I described is the same. In both instances, you are experiencing a change in pressure. Do you think turbulence exists without momentary or rapid changes in air pressure? And, the object doesn't have to be traveling at supersonic speed to create this. Just stand next to the road as a big truck at highway speed passes close by.

"I would never treat you the way your ex-wife treated you."

Okay. Okay. That's more of a lie than something stupid. On the other hand, I was stupid enough for believing it!

Don't laugh. Some of you have been taken in by that statement. You know who you are.

I call it what it is.
Because air is a fluid.
Again, just please stop.

Again, from my original post:

Now, I don't know if a .50 BMG would be up to the task. Also, as I said earlier, I think he shot the deer through the eyes.
I’m just gonna say it. You’re fucking retarded.

Are we still going on about a fucking 50 doing damage even if it doesn't hit its target? FFS.
It's the bear pit. Of course we are still at it.

Edit: Just noticed we are actually in the advanced marksmanship section. Hmmmm....:sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Back in ‘03, outside the airbase near Balad, some Nasty Guards must’ve been asleep in their watch tower and never heard our mortars announce they were coming by on a dismounted patrol.

Needless to say, someone in the guard tower noticed people walking in the dark several hundred yards out and decided to engage. The squad hit the dirt, but one of the guys caught a glancing blow just at the edge of his plate.

He lived to show what was left of the plate, and had a massive bruise on one side of his back. I never realized how lucky he was to have survived the sonic boom 🤯 🤣

Hi,

We have reached the most stupid shit ever posted on the www......
So everyone should resume normal SH forum subsections because....

View attachment 7562002
Nothing more stupid will ever be posted; so might as well find another thread, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis
give it a few minutes...every time i think ive seen it all something else happens that makes me think WTF?

At a local gun rang a while back and heard this.

Shooter: why are 22 rem fire not allowed at 100 yard range?
RO: 22 are not fast enough to make it. You'd have to hold over the target to get an hit and that's dangerous.

I was at the range one day working on cold bore shots. I'd shoot one shot and then shoot my .17 hmr for about 15 minutes, then shoot the 6.5 again. RO came over as saw me shooting the rimfire and told me it wasn't allowed. He said something similar. I laughed, told him lets walk down and look at the target, the group is just over an inch. He decided I could keep shooting it. :)