• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's up with shipping charges on RRS website

CUBUFF89

Always Learning
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2017
GA
Ok, so I think I have talked myself into a TVC-33. Added one to my cart along with a TA-3-QC. I seriously planned to check out and was stopped dead in my tracks by a shipping charge of $103. What the f? Their products are expensive and I was prepared to pay the toll, but I am not going to be ripped off to the tune of >$100 to ship a damn tripod. Has anyone else encountered this?

Do you enter your address and get that charge or was that pre address. They have a default that changes once you input your address

Reactions: Nik H
Don't blame you, if you are paying a premium price for arguably a premium product the least they should/could do is not stick it in you ass on the way out the door! Lets hope that was just some sort of anomaly or something....

Reactions: magtech
It will change to a reasonable amount when you enter your address. I just wanted one of their AI Arca plates and shipping was like $75 until I entered my info

Yes that’s an issue with the site. If you go a little further (why would you want to seeing that) it will fix itself. We believe it’s auto switching to next day early morning air, fastest route possible. But once you go through that next step you can select regular ground and it’ll correct it. Apologies, did you email or call us to ask wtf?

Yes that’s an issue with the site. If you go a little further (why would you want to seeing that) it will fix itself. We believe it’s auto switching to next day early morning air, fastest route possible. But once you go through that next step you can select regular ground and it’ll correct it. Apologies, did you email or call us to ask wtf?

Thanks for the explanation. No, it was fairly late last night when I planned to order so I didn't try to contact RRS.

And I didn't go any further in the checkout process because as I said, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the ridiculous shipping charges. I'll try again this afternoon after work.

That's a business killer, why not fix that issue? No telling how many sales you guys must have lost over a stupid glitch like that.

Reactions: earthquake
Yes and no. LR is an extreme passion of mine, hence why we make stuff for competitors and hunters and why I give away a shit ton of it back at those events. If I were not who I am, I would not be on here, and I wouldn't have heard about it.

This problem is very difficult to deal with because it doesn't happen to every order. So when we are trying to help with the issue it is hard to duplicate. If the customer doesn't tell me about it I can't record what item it was, if the customer was a new customer or returning customer to the site, what web browser they are using, on and on...

On the yes side of the answer, what company director wants to see complaints about their work on a public forum. Doesn't bother me much as I am always willing to talk about it but still.

Reactions: BIGJOE38922
As a follow up, I ordered a TVC-33 and TA-3-QC last night and the order process was much smoother. Once I had the items in my cart and went to checkout, I did not immediately see the ridiculous shipping charges. Instead I saw options for UPS 2 day, UPS Ground and the rates were in the price range expected. In the end RRS has my business.

As to why I chose to make an inquiry on a public forum, was because I have seen a lot of discussion on here about RRS. There is a very diverse experience base here and I figured someone would have encountered a similar situation and be able to tell me if there was a way to modify my order have the RRS website offer more reasonable shipping options. And after reading Michael's post above, I'm now aware that this is a problem for them but an intermittent problem, the most difficult kind to diagnose. I hope they are able to fix it because it did almost cost them business. I would say that this forum was largely responsible for my going back to the RRS website and giving it another try.

Yes and no. LR is an extreme passion of mine, hence why we make stuff for competitors and hunters and why I give away a shit ton of it back at those events. If I were not who I am, I would not be on here, and I wouldn't have heard about it.

This problem is very difficult to deal with because it doesn't happen to every order. So when we are trying to help with the issue it is hard to duplicate. If the customer doesn't tell me about it I can't record what item it was, if the customer was a new customer or returning customer to the site, what web browser they are using, on and on...

On the yes side of the answer, what company director wants to see complaints about their work on a public forum. Doesn't bother me much as I am always willing to talk about it but still.
THANKS for this, @MPHReallyRightStuff. I hope you're able to remedy this shipping cost issue - and once again one of our hobby's top-rung equipment vendors steps up Right Here to explain from their point of view. Excellent.

With that said - Late last week, I too saw a shipping charge in excess of $50 on the RRS site for a BTC-Pro ARCA clamp. I immediately removed it from the cart and ended up buying both the clamp and Atlas BT65-NC bipod from @Mile High Shooting.

My experience with vendors who are active here on SH points to taking the time to call said vendor with an order as opposed to simply, conveniently ordering online. Every time I've done so, I've enjoyed good conversation and usually learned something useful I wouldn't have known otherwise. And yes, occasionally such conversations lead to a bit of cost savings. Note to self: if it's 10pm and placing an online order looks good, wait until morning and call...