• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater What's Your All-Time Favorite Western?

Re: What's Your All-Time Favorite Western?

1. outlaw josey wales
2. tombstone
3. Apaloosa
4. searchers
5. hang em high
6. true grit(s) - both

Angel and the Badman, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, Rio Grande

What movie?

Woman says: "I wish we had time to bury them fellas."

Man say: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean With Paul Newman And just about any Clint Eastwood Or John Wayne Movie.Hard to pick just one So many Out there!!

Lonesome Dove
Big Jake
Jeremiah Johnson
Hombre
Hannie Caulder

I love all of the older westerns, clints movies were classic. Unforgiven is one of my top 3, as much as I dislike Kevin kostner his version of Wyatt Earp was well done and Dennis Quaid played the best Doc holiday to date.

Big Jake and Lonesome Dove

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

'Think you used 'nough dynamite there, Butch?'

Parker

What about the spoof on the Sergio westerns "My Name Is Nobody"
great flick for a rainy Sunday afternoon....

one I didn't see in the list (maybe because few know of it..) is an indie, black & white film starring Johnny Depp called "Deadman" from back in the mid 90's. I actually stumbled upon it when searching through works from Neil Young! he did the soundtrack for the film. I ended up watching it on Netflix, and it was really strange, but very cool. as far as more conventional westerns..

1) Tombstone
2) Unforgiven
3) appaloosa
4) 3:10 to Yuma (new version)

New Westerns:

Dances with Wolves, Silverado, Open Range and Tombstone. Not necessarily in that order.

Old School:
Good Bad Ugly, Outlaw Josey Wales, Shane and The Big Country

Wow, a good western is hard to beat.

There is a lot of votes for "Unforgiven" but seems to me there have been two movies with that name, the first was with Burt Lancaster?

The Searchers was great, I have watched it at least a dozen times.

The Wild Bunch, very good movie

Jeremiah Johnson, don't know if that is a classic western, but it was a good movie.

Duel In The Sun, the ending is awesome.

Stagecoach, John Wayne, the early days

Can't believe nobody has mentioned, RED RIVER!

Also not mentioned: The Glory Boys, check it out. Oops! Name is: The Glory Guys!

Also not mentioned: A little film by Kevin Costner as Lt. Dunbar?

Magnificent 7..
The Eastwood series of Spaghetti Westerns
Silverado

Out law josey
3-10 to Yuma
The good the bad and the ugly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

'Think you used 'nough dynamite there, Butch?'

Parker </div></div>

Oh man, I love that line. I actually went back and had to find that part again and watch it since you said that, lol. Another goodie is:

"Hey wait a minute. You didn't see LeFors out there did you?"

"LeFors? No"

"Oh good. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble."

Anyway, my favorite would be the above along with Tombstone and the Young Guns series for whatever reason. I'm really not a huge western fan to be honest.

"Once Upon a Time in the West"
After Sergio Leone's success with that film, he was given free reign to produce another. His magnum opus was:
"A Fistful of Dynamite"
This Sergio Leone film is definately the least seen of all his westerns but his best. What's important to note is that all the Leone hallmarks are there -- brilliant production design and camera work, carefully structured narrative, epic scale. It's a masterpiece,it's extremely entertaining and complex. Things become clearer and more interesting on second and third viewings. Don't expect the operatic ritualism of "Once Upon in The West" or the comic crowd pleasing of the Dollars films, but if you watch this you will be watching a cinematic master at the height of his powers!