• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When cleaning- bore brush or no?

Re: When cleaning- bore brush or no?

I have always avoided using brushes. When I got my SRS, their instructions for cleaning the Kreiger barrel were crazy to me. It included 2 passes with a brush for every shot fired!! Seemed crazy to me.

Well, I did my usual gig with my Dewey Rod and cotton patches from Butch's. Well, after getting the bore what I thought was clean, I decided to run one of my Dewey "no damage" bronze brushes through. So I soaked it in CLP and made 2 passes. The brush was brand new, had never been used. After those 2 patches, I ran another clean patch through, soaked in Butch's. I was shocked. The patch came out way blacker than the first patch I ran through the dirty bore.

What that told me was that the brush broke loose a lot of shit.

Since then, while not doing the 2 passes per shot routine, I have been making at least one pass with the brush and every time the next patch is way dirtier than the first.

Am I reading this right?

I use Wipeout, spray it and leave it...come back 12-24 hours later push a few clean patches and an oiled patch

now as for all the comments on scratching a bore with a bronze brush...which metal is harder? bronze or steel? now if you were able to scratch the bore with a brush of much less strength than the steel, how many strokes do you think it would actually take...if i had to guess i couldnt count that high.

I do use brushes both bronze and nylon, but there are a few things that are very important to do when useing the brushes. As already stated the most important is a good fitting high quality brush, second and proably as important as the first is keep the brush VERY clean. I found break clean is the best for this, before you ever brush a barrel patch out the majority of the carbon fowling useing a good bore solvent I think TM solution is the best. You need to let the chemicals work by patching a few times and letting it sit I wait 15-20 min at min. Then with a very wet bore and a very wet , clean , and straight brush I only brush 5 strokes before cleaning the brush and patching out and letting it sit some more. You must insure the brush is straight. John Kreiger said it him self that brushes donot harm bores its the carbon that gets attached to the brush that does the damage, and John doesnt promote brushing b/c of this. I do beleve brushing cleans better but agree that a barrel that is cleaned often will not necessarly shoot better than a barrel with less frequent cleanings.

I have never found a problem in using brushes either nylon or brass. I do find a problem when people do not use bore cleaners, whether it is clp, hoppes, or the foaming products correctly. In my opinion the solvents should be used with wet patches first and a lot of it. Let the solvent soak for up to an hour or at least several minutes if in a hurry than dip the brush in solvent again and run it through. I than run another patch soaking in solvent than start with the dry patches until clean, then the oil patch. The solvent should be allowed to soak in and break up all the crud so it can be easy for the bristles from the brush to reach the grooves. We are talking about a high strength steel that withstands pressures of 50 to 60,000 psi. I know that it can with stand a nylon or brass brush which is softer than steel.