• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where do I retire ???

Belize, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Panama, Thailand, Vietnam. Think big! I'm 25 and already "retire" for 6 months out of the year (winters) in Costa Rica because it's cheap enough that I can afford it. I've met expats who live in all those countries and the only thing bad I can think of is gun laws, which are more strict than the states. But in everything else they are very lax, do whatever the fuck you want and they leave you alone. Panama has excellent health care specifically for people retiring there, as well as other incentives. Thailand and Ecuador also have many incentives for retirees. You can live extremely comfortable on just your social security check alone. Plus the people you will meet are simply incredible!

Just planting the seed of thought. Do some research.

Florida is becoming a Northeastern State, just one with warmer weather.

When you consider what your normal heating bill is in the winter in just about any cold ass state, that would pay your property taxes here. My utilities in the winter are, and I kid you not, less than $100 a month. Once that AC goes off for the winter it is mighty cheep living. THe other 6 months it runs $200....

I have a friend in CT and his heating oil bill runs him over $1,000 a month...

I do think about my fellow shooters up north when I am on the range in January in shorts and a T shirt... LOL Poor bastards :)

Western KY is the place, Murray, KY college town, about 15,000 people, 2 great fishing lakes, crappie, bass, catfish, strip. Good hunting, mild winters, summers a little humid at times but nothing you can't bare. A lot of people retire here.

One thing seems to be quite evident, there are a lot of GREAT places to retire in this country!!!

Kentucky, Tennessee, or Missouri. All cheap taxes, cheap land and I know for sure Tennessee doesnt tax your pension! And lots of places to get away from everyone!

Kentucky, Tennessee, or Missouri. All cheap taxes, cheap land and I know for sure Tennessee doesnt tax your pension! And lots of places to get away from everyone!

This is the right idea! I spent quite a few of my younger years in southeast Missouri. I go back every year now for deer season and Christmas.

Lake Wappapello area to be more precise.

Take a few hours and head up to SW Colorado. It sounds to be most everything you are looking for with wilderness you could easily disappear into if you want. The downside is the recent liberal bent the state is taking, but that area is the more reasonable part of the state money and ideology wise.

I hear you Steve, agree 100%. I have been researching this for about two years now, so far I'm thinking Texas, or perhaps Utah (not Mormon, will have to visit there first). Has to be somewhere without anti 2nd commies. Too much bad weather in Florida. Louisiana, perhaps north on the Texas side. Texas has high property tax. Good thing I have a while to think about it.

Fortunately for us Fall has nice weather, otherwise I would have moved a long time ago!

It's hard for people who didn't grow-up out West to understand just how much we hate humidity ;) It was the single most hated aspect of my active years at Benning and Bragg, and that says a lot.

I know it's a stretch, but the Otago region of New Zealand is pretty nice. You can be in temperate plains towards the east or snowy mountains and fjords to the west. You can pretty much shoot as far as you want and suppressors are unrestricted. That's where I'm looking at least.

How's the cost of living compared to the US?

+1 for Bend. Just starting to build a house over there and can't say enough good stuff about the place. Hundreds of thousands of acres of national forest with great hunting and fishing within a short drive. Awesome skiing at Mt Bachelor 20 min outside of town. Good food and golf, too. Around 300 days of sunshine annually with low humidity!

You're still in Oregon, of course... The only thing separating you from the hippie capital of the world is the Cascade Mountains.

My wife and I have been talking about looking up that way first on our next vacation.

Steve, as bad as it may be just remember things can always be worse. My wife and I pay about $20,000.00 a year in property taxes. How does that grab you? And we're looking to leave before we retire. The weather here, however, is literally perfect.

My daughter just moved from NY to SF a month ago. She loves the weather there.

Wow, that's a lot of property tax! I think you might have a little more expendable income than most, wink. Good for you! BTW, I don't think my BIL pays that much for his 3000 acres in MN. His place is awesome except the flying insects are nuts up there.

Oh, and that's one thing about Flagstaff, hardly any bugs which is nice.

Belize, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Panama, Thailand, Vietnam. Think big! I'm 25 and already "retire" for 6 months out of the year (winters) in Costa Rica because it's cheap enough that I can afford it. I've met expats who live in all those countries and the only thing bad I can think of is gun laws, which are more strict than the states. But in everything else they are very lax, do whatever the fuck you want and they leave you alone. Panama has excellent health care specifically for people retiring there, as well as other incentives. Thailand and Ecuador also have many incentives for retirees. You can live extremely comfortable on just your social security check alone. Plus the people you will meet are simply incredible!

Just planting the seed of thought. Do some research.

I know a Landscaper that lives the same lifestyle, he's single though. Almost like having two homes, aye? Worth considering!

Hard to beat Flagstaff IMHO. I loved living there and would go back in a heartbeat! Best of luck in your search!

We need a thread on places to relocate BEFORE retirement. We would love to make a go of it in Wyoming. Hope we can get back there to scout around before the end of the year. California is on a suicide mission. Before long it will be nothing but poor people on the take, and rich people who have already retired. But I can't see many people with good jobs or business owners (not revolving around government work) sticking around willingly.

Someplace warm......
A place where the beer flows like wine....
A place where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.
I'm talking about a little place called Asssspen!!

If you are willing to move abroad I would suggest Chile. They have a stable democracy, very good privacy and private property laws, good healthcare, pick your favorite climate, and they are gun friendly in general.

I plan on purchasing real estate there.

If you are willing to move abroad I would suggest Chile. They have a stable democracy, very good privacy and private property laws, good healthcare, pick your favorite climate, and they are gun friendly in general.

I plan on purchasing real estate there.

Why oh why did I study German instead of Spanish??? Could you elaborate on the gun rules and what sort of property rights foreigners are entitled to? Unlike the USA, some countries don't let foreigners buy up real estate.

Purchasing real estate is pretty straightforward. You'll need a lawyer an their version of a tax ID number. In general, Chile's allows foreigners to purchase property the same as natives.

Firearm ownership is not as permissive as you may enjoy in some U.S states, about like NY or IL (okay maybe sort of). You will have to pass a hunting exam and an exam showing you understand the proper use a maintenance of a firearm. It also must be registered to your residence. No semi-automatic rifles allowed but bolt actions are fine. It is a process to be sure but firearms are not outright restricted.

Washington D.C.

-GUNS....Among the best gun laws in the country
-PLENTY of police...... Federal/Local Agencies out the ass.........So you know its safe.
-CHEAP- You could live here for pennies on what your paying now
-GREAT PEOPLE - The indigenous populations is very hard working and has great morals. In fact, you would be lucky if one knocked up your daughter... WHAT A CATCH
-DID I MENTION HOW CHEAP IT IS?
-DEER - Saw a 4 point buck running across I-295, So there must be plenty more where that came from.

ST George! everything you like about Flagstaff, and nothing you dont.

Or Belize. Beautiful, English speaking, inexpensive, great weather all year, and (reasonably) gun friendly. Yon cannot have semi autos but bolt up to 308 and wheel guns up to 357. Lots of water fresh and salt. Im looking to retire there and open a little bar/restaurant. When your in the area stop by 'Maggots Cantina' for a cold one.

Washington D.C.

-GUNS....Among the best gun laws in the country
-PLENTY of police...... Federal/Local Agencies out the ass.........So you know its safe.
-CHEAP- You could live here for pennies on what your paying now
-GREAT PEOPLE - The indigenous populations is very hard working and has great morals. In fact, you would be lucky if one knocked up your daughter... WHAT A CATCH
-DID I MENTION HOW CHEAP IT IS?
-DEER - Saw a 4 point buck running across I-295, So there must be plenty more where that came from.

You can't be serious.

DC has some of the highest crime rates in the USA, it was once at the top of the list for murder.

Some of the worst gun laws ie. registration, no concealed carry, and according to guns and ammo magazine ranked 51 out of 51 for best states for gun laws

Higher taxes than most of the western United States, DC is ranked 6th highest in state income tax.

Full of lying politicians, crooked lawyers, and lobbyists. Chock full of moral corruption.

We have elk, mule deer, white tail deer, pronghorn, wolves, Black bears, moose, Rocky Mountain bighorn, etc.