• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where the Varget at

prinjm6

I am the Captain now!
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2012
Yulee, Fl
Ok, so every local shop is out,several websites and my bud who is my ffl dealer can't get any from his suppliers. Anyone know where I can find some Varget not price gouged and in stock? Also g/fs cat pissed on my Lyman 49th editon reloading manual looking to replace anybody have any suggestions for a replacement .

Re: Where the Varget at

So it's not just AZ. Glad to know we're all screwed. Had to resort to some Viht 140 for my 308 loads under some 155 Scenars. I have some varget left but it looks like I'll need to ration it a bit...Friggin Obama

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHEEPDOG762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so every local shop is out,several websites and my bud who is my ffl dealer can't get any from his suppliers. Anyone know where I can find some Varget not price gouged and in stock? Also g/fs cat pissed on my Lyman 49th editon reloading manual looking to replace anybody have any suggestions for a replacement . </div></div>
I'd start with the local animal pound, they have some cute ones every now and again!
Or did you mean the manual?

I have been picking it up at the local stores, but you have to get there right after they stock the shelves. I just picked up 3 pounds of Varget and 3 of H4831SC. My Bro-in-law got the last 8 pounder I have seen in forever. Sportsmans Warehouse and Cal-Ranch is where I have been finding it. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHEEPDOG762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so every local shop is out,several websites and my bud who is my ffl dealer can't get any from his suppliers. Anyone know where I can find some Varget not price gouged and in stock? Also g/fs cat pissed on my Lyman 49th editon reloading manual looking to replace anybody have any suggestions for a replacement . </div></div>
I'd start with the local animal pound, they have some cute ones every now and again!
Or did you mean the manual? </div></div>

Both lol, but all kidding aside thought about using the critter for ballistics testing with 9mm Speer gold dots

I've seen a bunch of 1 lber's around the net. Some of the local stores do too. Good luck on the 8lb jugs. Best bet is to get some on backorder worst case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkarcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been picking it up at the local stores, but you have to get there right after they stock the shelves. I just picked up 3 pounds of Varget and 3 of H4831SC. My Bro-in-law got the last 8 pounder I have seen in forever. Sportsmans Warehouse and Cal-Ranch is where I have been finding it. Good luck. </div></div>

I was received chuckles when I asked the only two stores I know of in Jax, fl that carry powder when they will have a shipment in. But I will check the two sites you mentioned.

I also favor with Varget.

Due to run out period, I gonna substitute with some VV.

I got another 8# of Varget for $150 at the gun show...might check there. Only place so far that I could find it that the guy wasn't trying to retire on. Prices are getting crazy.

Some guy on a local web site is selling 3-1 lb bottles of Varget for $110. What a price-gouging dick head....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBUtah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some guy on a local web site is selling 3-1 lb bottles of Varget for $110. What a price-gouging dick head.... </div></div>
If you're that pissed about somebody asking 25% over retail for powder, I'd hate to hear how you feel about guys getting $2000+ for their bare-bones ARs.

i wanted varget too. i had to drive three hours to a gun show this weekend and settled for a 5 pounder rl 15 and few pounds of h4895.I was surprised they had fed sm and lg pistol primers and fed match lg rifle primers.the vender had a limit on the amount that you could buy so everyone had a chance to get some. i have not been to a show since before the first assault weapons ban and hope not to go ever again It was a zoo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groovinpickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBUtah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some guy on a local web site is selling 3-1 lb bottles of Varget for $110. What a price-gouging dick head.... </div></div>
If you're that pissed about somebody asking 25% over retail for powder, I'd hate to hear how you feel about guys getting $2000+ for their bare-bones ARs. </div></div>

Hmmm... 25%? Around here a pound of Varget was $21.95 or so. At $36/lb that's more like 68% if my math is right. And yeah, I think its pretty jacked up to see $2,000 for a bare bones AR.

There haven't been an new laws passed, and yet there is this hyper-pyscho reaction. I think it's stupid, that's all.

Most or all powders come from Europe. I'd think most distibutors place their orders late fall, so I would think we should see some by mid-Feburary.
I think for Norma and VV powders, it is a once a year deal.
Not sure on Hodgdon though.
I see Midway has no estimated in stock date, they are usually on top of this.
If you don't like what's up now, if you don't get powder for a year or so, you really won't like next year at this time, if people keep hoarding this stuff.

I bought some 1-lbs bottles from Cal-Ranch earlier this week, that's all I can find around here. I have four 8-lbs jugs back ordered at Brownells, they had it on sale a couple weeks ago. Since Hodgden powder is made in Nebraska, I hope to see my back ordered powder in a few weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought some 1-lbs bottles from Cal-Ranch earlier this week, that's all I can find around here. I have four 8-lbs jugs back ordered at Brownells, they had it on sale a couple weeks ago. Since Hodgden powder is made in Nebraska, I hope to see my back ordered powder in a few weeks. </div></div>

I'm fairly sure hodgden powder is imported from australia....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBUtah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm... 25%? Around here a pound of Varget was $21.95 or so. At $36/lb that's more like 68% if my math is right.</div></div>
Well, you do still have to account for sales tax, but that's still damn cheap compared to my neck of the woods, where it's $26.99/lb plus tax. I agree that the reaction is stupid, but I don't have a problem with the asking price. Market price and all that. It's a different scenario than folks who buy stuff up with the intention of flipping it. I didn't mean to offend, it just struck me as odd that you singled out a "for sale" offer that seems pretty modest compared to many these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigfish_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the best substitute for varget? </div></div>

RE-15

I just picked up 16lbs from powder valley last week or soo.. they look to be all sold out now though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvlapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigfish_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the best substitute for varget? </div></div>

RE-15</div></div>

AR-Comp. RE-15 is on the opposite side of the temperature stability scale. Good luck finding either of those, though.

As mentioned, best bet is to get on backorder somewhere for Varget. I actually had an 8lb'er in my cart along with the primers I finally decided on and some other goodies, (all in stock) a week or so before the world ended but felt guilty as I had not done my Christmas shopping at that point, so I didn't place the order....kicking myself now.

Anywho, I e-mailed ADI (where Hodgdon gets their Varget from) about lead-time on the stuff. The replied that they are not behind schedule and are shipping regularly every month to Hodgdon so it will just take time for all the backorders to get filled before inventories return to normal.

Other than that, try to be at the right local store at the right time to snatch some up when they get a shipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigfish_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the best substitute for varget? </div></div>

Benchmark, but you won't find much of that around either. Best bet is to ration what you have until things level out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHEEPDOG762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so every local shop is out,several websites and my bud who is my ffl dealer can't get any from his suppliers. Anyone know where I can find some Varget not price gouged and in stock? Also g/fs cat pissed on my Lyman 49th editon reloading manual looking to replace anybody have any suggestions for a replacement . </div></div>

Try these places

Guns N Gear - Waite Park, MN (320) 253-4868. Their website isn't always up to date, so a phone call is the best course.

Gunstop - Minnetonka, MN (952) 474-4570. Usually have what you need in stock.

Varget was the first powder to go where I work at (wholesaler). Then it quickly went down the list and we are out of the powder business until some comes in.

Charlie

Cant find any in stock or available for backorder, I was going to buy an 8lb tub right after christmas but decided to wait till after the holidays, what a mistake I made. Have a match this weekend too, cant even find FGMM which i have a good drop chart for. lol shits for the birds

I just bought some from MidSouth, they only have 1-lbs bottles, but said they have a quite a few in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought some from MidSouth, they only have 1-lbs bottles, but said they have a quite a few in stock.</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up, it shows I got my order in before they were out of stock.

Yeah they're out of stock now. Seems all we can do is wait. Anyone use IMR 4350 to load .308? My father uses 4350 to load his .243 just don't see it listed in my manual for .308.

It lasted less than an hour and a half from the time I saw the post here.

We're keeping it hostage here in Australia
grin.gif

Sheepdog, Try the gun show, I picked up an 8lb jug from the Jacksonville show for 148 about a year ago. But seeing as how things are, I bet they are all sold out as well.

Went to shooters and Varget and RE15 were the first to go. Those two always sell out, and there is a bunch of the other stuff.

I bought some Benchmark, but I'm not sure how that will do for 308.

Any body have a clue in Kansas where to get some at?I have checked bass pro cabelas And the local gun shops?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most or all powders come from Europe. I'd think most distibutors place their orders late fall, so I would think we should see some by mid-Feburary.
I think for Norma and VV powders, it is a once a year deal.
Not sure on Hodgdon though.
I see Midway has no estimated in stock date, they are usually on top of this.
If you don't like what's up now, if you don't get powder for a year or so, you really won't like next year at this time, if people keep hoarding this stuff.</div></div>

FYI Hodgdon's powders come from Australia (Varget), Florida, and Canada. I just learned that today. Good luck through the shortage all...

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">Powder Valley is showing 1#er's in stock!</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">Powder Valley is showing 1#er's in stock!</span></span> </div></div>

Thanks ordered 3lbs worth should hold me over for a few months.

Haven't seen Varget at any of the local stores since Christmas. Like everything else firearms related, I guess it is as good as gold right now.

I went to the HUGE Bass Pro Shops store in Denver today, just to see how their selection was looking (they are usually fairly well stocked, and a bit overpriced). These guys were basically cleaned out. I only personally saw three pistols on their shelves (and two of them were single action revolvers). Reloading components were also quite hard to come by.

Stopped at the local sporting goods store on my latest trip to Utah. Grabbed 8 lbs of Varget and 4000 BR2 primers. Not one piece of 308 brass to be found, though.

Everything around Denver has been picked clean.

ThirdGeneration has some Lapua 308 brass it looks like on their site...

I placed an order on Dec 22nd from Midsouth that finally shipped yesterday. They got enough 8lbers back in stock to fill the orders they had on backorder and it went right back to out of stock..