• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where to find a broken shell extractor for odd calibers?

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
If I'm fortunate, I'm going to spend a fair amount of time far from home shooting pdogs and coyotes over the next few summers. I'd like to be prepared and shell extractors to remove a broken/stuck case or neck ring. Most of this will be on odd calibers like 22-250, .260 rem, 25.06 etc.

I might be able to cobble together parts of a .308 and .223 extractor for a 22-250 or 220 swift, but is there a source that sells/manufactures any of these in-between sizes? They Echo guy Reibe? in Boise doesn't have a current phone # that I can find, and not much luck elsewhere.

I know it's not a common occurrence just trying to be prepared.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on action type (this won't work on break-open single shots), just get a fired case and jam it in to the stuck case, and extract. Works surprisingly well. Just hope that it doesn't get stuck on the first shot ;) .

Sometimes a bore brush will work.

Another thing that works on ALL action types is Cerrosafe and a cleaning rod, but it takes a bit more time and prep....

Bore snake and if they are really tough, you can use a bore snake one size larger than the caliber you are shooting. Ie .243 snake in .223 barrel.

Reactions: Recon_Scout
Another thing that works on ALL action types is Cerrosafe and a cleaning rod, but it takes a bit more time and prep....

I've use a method similar to this. Exchange some epoxy stick for the Cerrosafe. The putty is the kind you knead with your fingers. Then just push it into the stuck case. Wait a couple minutes for the epoxy to kick off and set. Then knock it out with a cleaning rod.

Cleaning rod ftom the muzzle end. If your really worried, get a brass muzzle guard. Pro-shot makes ecellent rods and muzzle guards. Also, never leave home without a punch rod when it really matters. You cant push anything out of a bore with a bore snake.

For a separated case head a 1/2" rat tail file with tape over the body to protect the action works great. Reach in and a little twist and a good tug or tap on the handle and the case comes out. Necks usually come out by reversing a brush on a cleaning rod.

The bore brush method works, I had to use it when a guy had a case head separation with his 6.5 CM during a match. Two rod sections from the Otis cleaning kit and the .30 caliber bore brush from the kit and the guy was back in action.

Had this happen to me today with 6.5 used 22 bore snake and the case popped out without an issue

Mr. tooley got it write
I use a rat tail file as well works awesome and who doesnt allready have 1 in there tool box!

When I ran around Iraq it was pretty common for the soviet stuff we had to sneeze a case. Ham cans of ammo buried in the desert for decades at a time has a shelf life. (who'd of thought? lol) Tools were never in good supply so I had to get creative. Thankfully, cleaning supplies were always available and the better Haji shops carried little bottles of 5 minute epoxy. This fix worked very well for me.

• Mix up a small batch of resin.
  • Smear it on a new chamber brush.
  • Carefully shove the brush up the arse of the stuck case body.
  • Wait...
  • Give it a yank. The more stubborn ones took two people.
The beauty in this is that there is almost no outward pressure exterted against the case body. The bristles sorta act like fingercuffs in reverse when you pull. Combined with the epoxy it proved to be a trick/easy means of getting a gun back in service.

Good luck.

Reactions: Recon_Scout