• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which 7mm on which Savage?

WDL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Somewhere, USA
I'm planning a budget build (I'm retired) to shoot 1000 yards and maybe beyond with a bipod from a bench (my 64 year old joints aren't as flexible as they once were).
I want to go with a 7mm caliber and I'm leaning toward a SAUM or 284 Winchester.
And which Savage model/caliber should I choose? I think the 12 VLP DBM in 300 WSM would easily re-barrel to 7mmSAUM, for example.

Re: Which 7mm on which Savage?

I have a model 12 vlp with a criterion 7mm08 rem 26"long barrel that shoots great. I would think the saum would be the same but with more pep. No complaints with my vlp.

Thanks, HighPoint. I would guess your VLP started life as a .308? Did you keep the same barrel contour with the barrel change?
If I change barrel contours, I suppose I should change stocks at the same time in case I want to go back to the original barrel at some later date.

I know the short action mag cartridges used to have a different lug size than the other SA calibers, so just keep that in mind when getting your barrel, as the maker will need to know. But if going from one SA mag to another you should be good to go as long as the bolt faces match. If not, then a new bolt head would also be required for the swap.

Mine started life as a 22-250 rem varmint contour. Swapped to a hs-precision tactical vertical grip stock and later changed to a 7mm08 rem, full 1 inch diameter muzzle bull barrel. The. 300 wsm model is going to be a large shank receiver, so keep that in mind when you buy your saum barrel. I would recommend a Criterion barrel as mine is a consistent 1/2 - 5/8 moa shooter, got mine from northland shooter supply.

I just finished this .284 Win on a Savage 110

284-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished this .284 Win on a Savage 110

284-1.jpg
</div></div>
What stock/chassis is that?

284 Winchester or 280 Rem AI....or 7mm-08 with a little less velocity but also less recoil.

Thats the XLR evolution chassis with their new tactical stock.
www.xlrindustries.com Lead times are only around 10 weeks now. I should have one on my door step in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the help so far, Guys. I still haven't decided. But I asked my 'smith to give me a quote on a 284 Shehane (he already has the reamer).
Anybody have any experience with the Shehane?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help so far, Guys. I still haven't decided. But I asked my 'smith to give me a quote on a 284 Shehane (he already has the reamer).
Anybody have any experience with the Shehane? </div></div>

the main thing on any exotic chamberings is how much time, trouble and $$ do you want to expend on brass instead of shooting/ ammo development, my compromise was 7 saum on a savage target action, because of slight uncertainty of future brass availability I went with 1000 rem cases, enough for 3-4 barrels

one caution on any savage build is doing business with SSS sharp shooter supply, I only got mildly aggravated/ screwed, some search work will find others that got worse. They are connected to the savage shooters forum so negative comments are deleted, creating a deceiving bias.

I hear ya, George63. I've already read/heard enough negative comments about SSS to steer clear of them.
I'm in no hurry to do this project and I'm waiting on a quote from my 'smith. He already had the Shehane reamer and his original client (for the Shahane) is happy with his.
But if his quote is too high, then I will likely buy a Savage in 300 WSM and re-barrel to 7 SAUM. I have a couple friends with the necessary Savage tools (except the go-gauge) and I don't think a bolt face change would be needed, so I see no reason to involve SSS in my plans.

I have a savage model 11 chambered in 300 wsm. It is a great rifle, very accurate, esp. after the stock upgrade and switching out barrels... My only concern is the bolt-head. With the WSM's savage uses a CRF design, to ease feeding concerns with the short, fat rounds.
The problem with mine at least is sometimes the brass falls out of the extractor before it reaches the claw type ejector at the rear of the receiver.
If you are using the target action, and planning on single feeding anyway, this might not be a concern. But I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Hmmm, that is interesting. I didn't know Savage used the CRF design with the WSM cases.

I'm a barrel short of a 7mm Savage build. I have the 7mm WSM brass already and a WSM bolt head but keep thinking that a 7mm-08 might be a better choice based on brass availability and barrel life. If using the 162gr bullets it seems as though it would work very well for 1000 and could likely go much further.

Sure it will go past 1000 yards. So will my 270 WSM shooting 130 SSTs. But time of flight compared to a 7mm short mag shooting 175 SMKs or 180 Bergers shows there will be a lot more drop and wind drift.
The 7-08 has a lot of good points starting with brass availability.

I would start with the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in a .25-'06 chambering, which is an OK chambering for a switch-barrel. Not my first choice from a bore longevity standpoint, but not bad overall for a factory chambering, either.

This rifle also provides the proper bolt face diameter, magazine configuration, and action length for my next suggestion.

I would then obtain a similar countour, longish barrel chambered in .280 Rem, which is a sufficiently well established chambering that wildcat-related issues should not crop up too harshly. Built on a military cartridge case, feeding has not been an issue.

I seriously doubt that a muzzle brake would be really necessary with either chambering, and I use Limbsaver Slip-On recoil pads, as much for their additional LOP as for any real recoil issues.

I could even see myself doing this build, and getting an additional barrel chambered in .30-'06, too. For that, I might be persuaded to go for a brake.

For your build, I would do nothing beyond obtaining the second barrel. The rest is good to go for the things you have in mind.

The .280 Rem/7mm Rem Express has very good performance, puts the .30-'06's case capacity to use at just about its very best efficiency, and does it with lighter weight, lighter recoilling bullets having very adequate BC values.

For factory ammo, the Hornady 139gr SST Superformance hunting load is very respectable, and has what I believe is very capable performance at, or close to, 1000yd out of the right barrel length.

Handloading; one need look no further than the Nosler 120gr and 150gr 7mm Ballistic tips, and/or similar Partition offerings. There are acceptible Nosler 7mm offerings in 120, 140, 150, 160, and 175gr in Ballistic Tip, Ballistic Silvertip Combined Technology, Accubond, and Partition constructions. Covers the full gamut, I'd say.

For lesser demands, the case can be downloaded quite effectively. In a pinch, it could even be a downright 'Ungodly Hammer' of a Varmint rifle.

I'm 65; am not the most hippity hoppin' frog in the pond, and have recently forsaken the prone for the bench. I own a pair of .280's.

Greg

I will vote for the 7 SAUM. are you using it as a repeater or single shot? Read the 7mm section on 6mmbr.com. I had a 7 saum and loved it. I have heard, about some feeding issues with a 284.

For the most part, the only time I even notice it is when I am at a comp with timed follow-up shots...During range days it is not a problem. But when I have 10 seconds to get the second shot off and have to reach up and clear the chamber too? Not real good for shot placement.

Two more votes for the SAUM which is on my short list. 65nut, probably single shot nearly all the time - I'm not into the tactical stuff.

Good points, Greg. I plan on doing some competing (well, maybe not competing, but at least showing up) in some long range (up to 1000 yards) matches that can be shot from a bench or prone (I'm 64 and prone just doesn't work very well for me). The 6.5x284 can be shot right out of the box at one of these matches. For the 7mm barrel, I would want to shoot the 175 SMKs or 180 Bergers to keep the drop & wind drift down to a minimum.

I think I have narrowed my cartridge choices down to the 7mmRSAUM and the 284 Winchester. Based on brass quality and availability, which is the better choice?

I shoot 140-142 in my .260.

But I've also come to realize that while high BC's and Velocities can be somewhat less embarassing in the instance of a bad wind call; IMHO, the better approach is to put my best efforts into improving my wind calls.

When that comes around, Velocities and BC's yield less consequence, and my shoulder and my rifle's bore are more appreciative of the reduced stress. I seriously shy away from shooting 7mm bullets weighing much over 150gr at the speeds needed for true LR shooting.

If your wind skills are adequate, there's really no more bullet weight needed; and less mayhem in the boiler room leads to more relaxed practice, and more of it.

By my book, that's where the real advantage lies.

Greg