• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR?

WheelieJustin

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Nebraska
Reactions: Dildobaggins
honestly, I'd say neither.

you can pick up a complete Aero upper for sub 500 right now and their complete lowers are at 250. That is what I'd do but if you must go these two, the Ruger has plenty of reviews that are positive

honestly, I'd say neither.

you can pick up a complete Aero upper for sub 500 right now and their complete lowers are at 250. That is what I'd do but if you must go these two, the Ruger has plenty of reviews that are positive
Don't overlook the Aero "complete" uppers don't include a BCG or charging handle.

I have a Ruger MPR that's nominally a 3/4 moa gun with ADI 69gr ammo. It has a unique bolt carrier that's chrome lined and nitrided, with a very slick polishing job; it's super easy to clean. The trigger is pretty nice, mine had a touch of creep but I only noticed it dry firing. It has a unique barrel profile that is on the heavy side. Also, the handguard holes/slots are not well chamfered and can be rough sliding it through one's hands. Overall, I'm really happy with mine and have slowly upgraded it over building something entirely custom.

Reactions: Staccato
So I had a Ruger 5.56. the BCG is not shrouded and some things on the rifle are proprietary, which I also don't like. Isn't a problem for most people. If it's not a battle rifle, who care. My ruger was shooting well under sub MOA with 53 and 55 grain Hornady v-max. Cycled well and shot well. Trigger was breaking around the 8 pound mark if I remember correctly. As people have stated you can get an aero for sub 500...what they are missing is that it does not come with a BCG which will add at the very least another $120 plus a charging handle. Then the lower which if you want to match up will run another $250 or more. Not trying to shit on anyone, but people on here love to tell others how to spend money when they aren't spending it themselves. I'd go with the Ruger, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck!

Ruger changed to a shrouded carrier a few years ago. My MPR had a trigger pull weight of ~4.5 lbs, Kaw Valley springs brought it down to the 3.5-4 lbf range. There's nothing really proprietary on the rifle other than the handguard/barrel nut, which should be expected.

Don't overlook the Aero "complete" uppers don't include a BCG or charging handle.

I have a Ruger MPR that's nominally a 3/4 moa gun with ADI 69gr ammo. It has a unique bolt carrier that's chrome lined and nitrided, with a very slick polishing job; it's super easy to clean. The trigger is pretty nice, mine had a touch of creep but I only noticed it dry firing. It has a unique barrel profile that is on the heavy side. Also, the handguard holes/slots are not well chamfered and can be rough sliding it through one's hands. Overall, I'm really happy with mine and have slowly upgraded it over building something entirely custom.
some do but even still, an AO precision bcg is less than 100 and you are still at or below the ruger and savage and with nothing proprietary. BA barrels are well regarded as moa or better (regardless of the guarantee). I don't see it as much of a choice to be honest but variety is good!

Ruger changed to a shrouded carrier a few years ago. My MPR had a trigger pull weight of ~4.5 lbs, Kaw Valley springs brought it down to the 3.5-4 lbf range. There's nothing really proprietary on the rifle other than the handguard/barrel nut, which should be expected.
Was unaware they switched the BCG. good to hear! Howwever everything I am seeing says the pull weight of the factory trigger is around 7.5 pounds. I was referring to the 5.56 not the MPR. As you said some springs will bring it down too. Either way. Still cheaper than an aero, especially if he has rebates at Cabela's and as for the proprietary, I'd double check the ejection port as well. I don't believe that is milspec. Again not a big deal of you don't plan on changing anything. From what I'm reading, the only milspec part on these rifles is the BCG now.

Savage MSR 15 recon 2.0 or Ruger Ar-556 MPR. Both are in stock at Cabelas and I have some points and gift cards to use. Will carry it in pickup to shoot prairie dogs and coyotes. Which one is better, most accurate, best buy?

Thanks

most people are happy with the Ruger mpr, I have not heard anything on the savage.

I don't have the Ruger, so can't say anything about that one. I do have a Savage MSR Patrol (used to be their base model with a two piece handguard). Got a really good deal I couldn't pass up. I changed out the two piece handguard to a BCM freefloat. Overall it's a good rifle plus it's a 5R barrel. Not a precision rifle, but good enough for what it's made for.

@Imthatguywithquestions Care to elaborate what's so funny?
Guy asks about a savage and a Ruger cause he has rebates for Cabela's, and you start talking about a rifle that is triple the price, and literally nothing to do with what he asked about. He's looking to shoot some yotes. Not head off to Iraq as an independent contractor. That's pretty funny to me.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
both are more entry level rifles so I'd swap out the triggers, furniture, and muzzle device, but other than that I'd get whichever you think looks better.
They're both pretty similar features wise, but the Ruger has better reviews, but savage makes some pretty damn good barrels for the price

The OP didn't ask about best on the market. Simply wanted to know which of the two rifles he specified would people recommend.

Then you got all fanboi in the thread.
I made one damn comment. I was trying to steer him in a better direction with a better quality unit.

Reactions: Enbloc
I made one damn comment. I was trying to steer him in a better direction with a better quality unit.
He didn't ask for a better quality unit. He would probably appreciate reading comprehension skills for his question more at this point. 2 rifles are what he wants to know about. Not have you muddy the waters by adding a third or a 4th like the other comments about aero.

The OP clearly stated he was buying the rifle at Cabela's (with funds only good there) so when did they start carrying LWRC rifles? Plus he would need a hell of a lot more gift cards to get into that LWRC price range.

Between the two models stipulated by the OP- I'd go with the Ruger.

I just got the Ruger. It is my first AR, so I have nothing to compare it to, but for an entry level rifle for $700. I am happy. So far about 300 rounds through it (80 Fed American Eagle and the rest hand loads) with out a problem. Accuracy is okay and improving with hand loads. So far just 55 and 62 gn bullets. It has an 8" twist so I am going to try a little heavier and see what it likes. The 62 gn do pretty well so may end up there.

I just got the Ruger. It is my first AR, so I have nothing to compare it to, but for an entry level rifle for $700. I am happy. So far about 300 rounds through it (80 Fed American Eagle and the rest hand loads) with out a problem. Accuracy is okay and improving with hand loads. So far just 55 and 62 gn bullets. It has an 8" twist so I am going to try a little heavier and see what it likes. The 62 gn do pretty well so may end up there.
Did you get the MPR or the AR556?

Was unaware they switched the BCG. good to hear! Howwever everything I am seeing says the pull weight of the factory trigger is around 7.5 pounds. I was referring to the 5.56 not the MPR. As you said some springs will bring it down too. Either way. Still cheaper than an aero, especially if he has rebates at Cabela's and as for the proprietary, I'd double check the ejection port as well. I don't believe that is milspec. Again not a big deal of you don't plan on changing anything. From what I'm reading, the only milspec part on these rifles is the BCG now.
The MPR has a two stage trigger rather than the normal AR556's mil-specish trigger. It's a solid improvement and as good or better than the Schmid two stage triggers.

I haven't measured the ejection port, but it seemed identical/similar to all my other upper receivers. Nothing else seems out of the ordinary or proprietary aside from the barrel profile and free float handguard. Mine only retains the OE barrel, receivers, BCG and some of the lower parts, standard parts replaced everything else with no issues.

I've done a couple Aero builds. Arm or ally has been a great place to get everything you need. I built one that was basically the same as the upper and lower set that I got a few moths later. The only thing I don't like is how tight the gas blocks are inside the handgaurds. $900 will get you a decent AR for sure.

She's not pretty and keeps changing colors but she's mine!
20211203_164455.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95