• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which pistol/revolver ?? Budget $3000

396chevy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
USa
Ok so here's the deal, I have been saving money for my next pistol for about a year now. I don't usually last this long I usually have something I really want to buy. But since I haven't had the urge I have just kept saving. I recently counted it and apparently I have $3k. So here is my question what pistol/revolver would you get and why? I do need a good concealed carry gun, but Im open to pretty much anything. My current small collection includes a usp 45, MK23, s&w 945, colt python, beretta stampede, beretta model 21a, sig/hammerli trailside, desert eagle 44, kimber tac pro2 9mm, hk psp, Sig p220 supermatch. The one thing I have always wanted is a korth semi auto. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks Pat

Re: Which pistol/revolver ?? Budget $3000

I just picked up a Sig 226 Combat, and i must say they are very good pistols. I like the 220 combat but didnt want a 45 thus the reason i went with the 226. Id spend the money on a Sig P226 or 229 and rock on, buy yourself something else nice or suprise the wife with something (this will allow future purchases to be less of a hassle when the dreaded "how much did that cost" comes out)

It looks like your collection is missing a 1911. For $3k you could get something nice from Wilson, Volkmann, Brown, Baer or Nighthawk. A commander size 1911 would make a fine carry piece.

I agree on the 1911 recommendation. However I would go with a Dan Wesson! I love mine it's perfect! And with your budget you could still have 1/3 left over for some nice leather & ammo, or for that nice gift to the lady, or just to put back in your stash for next time!

I have a Baer TRS Commanche Special. I love it. If I had 3k laying around for a 1911 I would get a Nighthawk or a Wilson, of course there is nothing wrong with a Baer either. You won't regret any of the high end choices.

If you are going to buy one, go ahead and put an order on a carry holster as most of the manufacturers have excessive lead times. I have been waiting on my Milt Sparks VM2 since January.

With that kind of money you could pick up a nice pistol and a silencerco osprey .45 along with enough boosters and threaded barrels to suppress most of your collection. That's what I would do!!

Your collection is definitely missing some 1911 love!! With a $3k budget, your options are near limitless from an excellent factory production pistol to a full custom job (depending on which smith you selection, along with options, etc.).

M1,I would if I could. But I live in Iowa. I think the 1911 is a good idea, I have the 945 and its a great gun but Im curious just how different it would be from a top of the line 1911?? Thanks Pat

A concealed carry gun gets abused: sweated on, dropped, scratched, and worn from the holster. Not to mention if it ever gets used you either may not get it back or may not want it back after seeing how it was treated.

My advice for carry: find a smaller reliable pistol in the 300-600 range, $100 on leather, $300 on training...

Then blow the remainder on a STI or SVI custom.

I'd buy a SVI or STI Open gun (2011 frame, commander length) but I'm an IPSC guy. If I weren't, I'd probably still go with one of them but change the pistol to a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: igofast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A concealed carry gun gets abused: sweated on, dropped, scratched, and worn from the holster. Not to mention if it ever gets used you either may not get it back or may not want it back after seeing how it was treated.

My advice for carry: find a smaller reliable pistol in the 300-600 range, $100 on leather, $300 on training...

Then blow the remainder on a STI or SVI custom. </div></div>

If I am going to trust my life to something, I want it to be well made, can take abuse, and 100% reliable. I am not worried about them taking it away during an investigation, as I will pay 3K again in a heartbeat if it means I am alive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I am going to trust my life to something, I want it to be well made, can take abuse, and 100% reliable. I am not worried about them taking it away during an investigation, as I will pay 3K again in a heartbeat if it means I am alive. </div></div>

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a $3000 full on custom will be <span style="font-weight: bold">more</span> reliable and take <span style="font-weight: bold">more</span> abuse than a $600 Glock.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have one.
smirk.gif

My favorites are:
Ed Brown: Kobra Carry and Molon Labe
My Kimber: Custom Covert II
USP compact 40
Sig 229 either 40 or 357 Sig
If concealing, I suggest a Kahr 40

The Ed Browns are amazingly well made and feel solid and balanced by far the best (and most expensive) listed. The Kimber I listed is light weight and has a discrete laser in the handle which is great for training trigger pull. The Sigs are great weapons, comfortable in larger hands and include a de-cocker. I really enjoy shooting the USP and HKs have great design and a de-cocker as well. Kahrs are perfect for CCW, because they are slim and provide adequate concealability, reliability, and muzzle energy.
BTW $3k is an amazing budget for handguns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so here's the deal, I have been saving money for my next pistol for about a year now. I don't usually last this long I usually have something I really want to buy. But since I haven't had the urge I have just kept saving. I recently counted it and apparently I have $3k. So here is my question what pistol/revolver would you get and why? I do need a good concealed carry gun, but Im open to pretty much anything. My current small collection includes a usp 45, MK23, s&w 945, colt python, beretta stampede, beretta model 21a, sig/hammerli trailside, desert eagle 44, kimber tac pro2 9mm, hk psp, Sig p220 supermatch. The one thing I have always wanted is a korth semi auto. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks Pat </div></div>
You have some nice handguns in your stable, but as other have noted you are missing a 1911. Since you have a budget of $3,000.00, as some others have suggested you should consider a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Nighthawk Custom</span></span>. Beautifully made, very accurate, reliable shooting masterpieces. You also mentioned that you need a good carry gun - I'm partial to the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Predator III</span></span>.

And while it doesn't compare to a Nighthawk or leave the big holes of a .45, like a Nighthawk a Sig 229 in .40 S & W is very accurate and reliable. Its' also a handy size, holds 12 + 1. I wouldn't necessarily feel undergunned either, and the "spare" cash could buy training and a lot of ammo/reloading components.

Keith

A custom 1911 is always great, Nighthawk, Wilson or STI are all great. However you could do something a little different like a Hamilton Bowen Nimrod. Hands down the finest custom SA firearm. Bowen's work is phenominal and you can get one in anything from a 41 mag to the 500 Linebaugh in the Nimrod. I have two of them and they are sweet a 41 and a 44 magnum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one thing I have always wanted is a korth semi auto.</div></div>

Then that's what I would buy; not what someone else wants.

Sorry I did not notice you were in Sioux City, I am on the NE side. If you want to shoot a $3000 plus 1911 we can goto the Hawkeye range and you can try my 45. Being a NE dealer I can only help you out on longguns.

cs45.jpg

If looking for a non production one off custom I would seriously look at this guy, I think there would be a wait and not sure if 3k could touch one of his guns but he does nice work. Just in Omaha.
http://www.conditionone.us/Gallery/

The biggest problem with your collection is that it does not include any Glocks. Buy 2 or 3 Glocks and alot of ammo and enjoy perfection.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest problem with your collection is that it does not include any Glocks. Buy 2 or 3 Glocks and alot of ammo and enjoy perfection.
wink.gif
</div></div>

wifeglock.jpg

I love this pic. It expresses my feeling for glocks so perfectly. Although my girlfriend would never buy a glock, she knows better. Anyway I really like the SVI's I hadnt looked at them before, Apparently they offer a titanium frame and slide..... I just hope I can afford one.

What do you not like about the glock? I have several pistols with a few glocks thrown in there. Mine have NEVER given me ANY trouble. I perfer my H&K's but would trust my glocks in every way if I had had to. All those high end custom features cannot replace 100% reliabilty in my book. Others here may have had problems but I go with what I have experienced.

I shoot and carry full size ltwt and steel 1911s that have been tuned by Jardine, and love them.

On the other hand without access to a gunsmith that can reliably tune the 1911, I am hesitant recommending putting down alot of money on most out of the box 1911s that will be run hard out of the box.

The Springfield Custom Professionals are generally reliable out of the box, especially the newer ones I have used.

Todd Greene has been torture testing HKs lately and his reports on the HK45 and P30 are positive, for out of the box guns.

For a CCW gun the P30 and Glock 19 have a lot going for them. They also aren't too small as a pistol to use comfortably in hard training or daily use.

FWIW Buy a basic 1911. Send it to a known Smith and have it built to YOUR specs.. The 1911 IS the Mr. Potato Head of the hand gun world. More ears/eyes/hats aka parts out there that you can have it built as YOU want it. Instead of just getting something "CLOSE" to what you want..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW Buy a basic 1911. Send it to a known Smith and have it built to YOUR specs.. The 1911 IS the Mr. Potato Head of the hand gun world. More ears/eyes/hats aka parts out there that you can have it built as YOU want it. Instead of just getting something "CLOSE" to what you want.. </div></div>

The problem is that if don't have a lot of experience with a 1911 it will be hard to know exactly what you want. If you could buy used examples of some of the better semi-customs it might help you figure out what you do and don't like and you should be able to sell them without getting hurt too bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: igofast</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I am going to trust my life to something, I want it to be well made, can take abuse, and 100% reliable. I am not worried about them taking it away during an investigation, as I will pay 3K again in a heartbeat if it means I am alive. </div></div>

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a $3000 full on custom will be <span style="font-weight: bold">more</span> reliable and take <span style="font-weight: bold">more</span> abuse than a $600 Glock.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have one.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

My point was that I don't care if they take a gun away if it means I am alive. I have both, a glock and a Les Baer. I carry the glock as my car gun and the Baer is my carry/bedside table gun. Both are reliable, but if I could only have one it would be the Baer.

Glock, good holster, $2,000 worth of ammo for practice. My experience is that carry guns are not pretty.

Good luck

Jerry

My next pistol WILL be the FNP-45 .
Sorry to all of you 1911 guys, this is the real deal. 15 round mag... and its a .45.
With the rest of the cash you can hook it up, or buy a concealer as well.

a 1911 would be a great addition!

or you could go with a Dan Wesson in a .445 Supermag!!!
You could use it for hunting and buy other barrels and shrouds to change the length!

Buy a 1911, but don't expect any of them to run like your more modern pistols--seriously. I'm sure the 1911 lovers will flame me for that, but go ahead. I've got a colt/essex that Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision built me 10 years ago--full custom build--and a Springfield match target (or something). The Stroh gun runs great until it gets filthy dirty. The Springfield runs great until it decides not to. Extractor tension problems develop. Even guys like Larry Vickers who build 1911s for part of their living say they'd grab a Glock if the SHTF.

Sorry this has turned into a 1911 opinion piece. As someone said above, if you want the best chance of having a 1911 that always runs, buy a box stock one and send it to ONE really good pistolsmith (I like Stroh at Alpha Precision) not a pistolsmith factory like INSERT NAME OF FAMOUS 1911 COMPANY THAT HAS 30 DIFFERENT DUDES MAKING GUNS FOR THEM. Have that guy build your dream gun. I have never seen any of the above mentioned models--Les Baer, STI, etc, not have a stoppage at a pistol class.

Just my humble opinions. Reasonable men can differ.

I say buy a Kahr p9 for your CCW gun--not much more conceable and it still shoots almost like a fullsize gun, a 1911 to stroke off on, then spend $300 for a used hammered police trade-in Glock that will then run another 100,000 rounds and go bang everytime. And still shoot 2" at 25 yards.

Oops, did I just say that?

couldn't agree more. i LOVE 1911's but if i had to take a gun to war it would be a basic sig or glock.

My 1911's and 2011's have been more reliable than the few glocks I've owned........

..........Just sayin.

That being said If I had 3,000 bucks and wanted a 1911 I'd buy an STI Lawman, a dozen TRIPP Cobra mags and a case of ammo of your choice. Maybe a wilson CQB elite........itd be a tossup.

I'd take the 1500 bucks I had left and blow it on something like a trip to Rifles Only, hunting in Alaska, down payment on a crusader build, nightforce glass for the rifle....theres lots....

..That being said I dont own a collection of pistols and If I dont shoot them regularly they get traded off or sold, so I dunno what you'd want for your collection to be complete.

Les Baer just recently moved to Iowa and they make a very nice classic 1911 at a price that'll leave you with plenty in the bank when that next "gotta have it" comes along.

Yeah the 1911 thing is a bit of a religious issue...

Agree there's a lot to be said for dropping half your savings on a nice pistol and the other half on a week-long shooting class.

Every time I sign up for a class somewhere, I'm like damn, this class is gonna cost me $1500-$2000 when you factor in ammo and lodging. But then I remember those times forever... and there is usually some kind of quantum leap in my shooting skills.

Then I end up thinking I should sell some guns and take more classes....

I'd probably buy an STI Eagle AND an STI Lawman. You have enough money for it.

Go to "GUNSMOKE.COM' I have a "Pimpgun" from them...a Colt Defender, stainless slide, hardcoat lower. Thinned grip area. Tuned to perfection. Eats anything. Never bobbles. Very accurate. If you need a CCW...best I've seen or shot. JMHO

396- My next expensive handgun will be a mk23, but I see that you already have one.

How do you like it? It is somewhat of a range novelty to me, but then again, all my handguns are as I don't carry any of them, and if it is a more accurate range novelty, it seems somewhat justifiable to me!

My input though if you are looking for a carry option- buy a HK compact of some sort and spend the remaining roughly $2k on ammo with a solid training program. I wouldn't spend that much for a carry gun, because from what I have seen, guns that cost that much are generally less reliable than guns that cost $500-$1000, and for me, utmost reliability is the key if I am trusting my life to it.

Otherwise, spend it on a nice 1911.

I have to say that I would give this as a top in the list: A Volkmann 1911 custom. I have not shot one but the owner of this site (Lowlight) swears by them and I believe he has a few of them and raves about them and the builders quality. I believe you just have enough to get one. (They aren't cheap but I hear they are worth it). Buying the cream of the crop is somtimes a very nice option. A top of the line STI, Wilson,Edd Brown 1911 would be my 2nd choices but I would be happy just the same. I have a tricked out older match stainless Kimber with alot of rounds thru it and it is SO sweet that I don't feel the need to improve. It took a lot of rounds (good break in)and a few mods to sweeten it up but it is like no other weapon that I have shot. It's like we are one....You will know what I mean when you find that right weapon if you havn't found it yet. Have atleast one kick ass 1911 in your collection and you will be as happy as Bill Clinton in a room full of short skirted secretaries.
........................SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry, but isn't the Kimber a 1911?
small_tactical_pro_II.jpg

</div></div>

his is a 9mm...so no lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">396- My next expensive handgun will be a mk23, but I see that you already have one.

How do you like it? It is somewhat of a range novelty to me, but then again, all my handguns are as I don't carry any of them, and if it is a more accurate range novelty, it seems somewhat justifiable to me!

</div></div>

I love it, seriously it is my favorite handgun. I wish they made a sub compact version because I would carry it. Softest shooting 45 I have ever shot, and it handles +p, +p+ or even 45 super rounds without a problem. You have to shoot one and see for yourself.

And on a side note I cant afford an SVI, I contacted them and base price is $4500 and the full titanium pistol the Tiki-T starts at $9700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">396- My next expensive handgun will be a mk23, but I see that you already have one.

</div></div>

I love it, seriously it is my favorite handgun. I wish they made a sub compact version because I would carry it. Softest shooting 45 I have ever shot, and it handles +p, +p+ or even 45 super rounds without a problem. You have to shoot one and see for yourself.
</div></div>I would love to, but I live in Maine, not a lot of chance to shoot "exotic" stuff. I have heard conflicting things- some say the trigger is nothing special, others say it is the best trigger that they have ever felt. I have felt a USP Tactical match trigger, I didn't think it was that much better than my USP or HK45c trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you not like about the glock? I have several pistols with a few glocks thrown in there. Mine have NEVER given me ANY trouble. I perfer my H&K's but would trust my glocks in every way if I had had to. All those high end custom features cannot replace 100% reliabilty in my book. Others here may have had problems but I go with what I have experienced.</div></div>
While Glocks do a very nice job and I have produced some of my best times in shoots. I have had glocks stove pipe like any other weapon. Yes it happens quite rarely but it still happens.
I really hate the way they feal and I hate the trigger even the modified one. I sold my last Glock.
I prefer H&K USP Tactical, P-30,Sig 226 and or a great 1911......Between them it is a "Which one am I feeling like grabbing". I have yet to try the newest H&K 45 but I have heard good things so far.
I'm not bashing on Glocks, because their accomplishments speak for themselves and in the law enforcement community they get the job done and keep getting the job done. This is just my opinion and what I prefer.
I have said this before and I wish Glock would listen because they would make a bucket load of cash off it if they made a Glock that felt like a 1911 and had a trigger like a sweet 1911 trigger and had the reliability out of the box that a typical glock has.........
That would be a weapon worth it's weight in gold.
.........................SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">396- My next expensive handgun will be a mk23, but I see that you already have one.

</div></div>

</div></div>I would love to, but I live in Maine, not a lot of chance to shoot "exotic" stuff. I have heard conflicting things- some say the trigger is nothing special, others say it is the best trigger that they have ever felt. I have felt a USP Tactical match trigger, I didn't think it was that much better than my USP or HK45c trigger. </div></div>

Well I don't think it has as good a trigger as my usp but my usp has a match trigger kit and a 10LB hammer spring, which runs about 3.5LBS SA. The mk23's trigger is smooth and crisp but not that amazing. I guess what Im trying to say is that its better than a USP tactical but no 1911. Also DA with the mk23 is a longer pull with no over-travel stop. FYI the Mk23 works much better for someone with large hands. If you think a usp is just right or a tad small the mk23 will work great.

Yeah, $3000 for a SVI is probably on the low side. The TIKI all titanium is crazy for $9700, guess I should have bought one when they came out and were closer to $6k, LOL. If you really like the TIKI they can (or used to at least) sell it in all SS for considerably less. I think that Guncrafter Industries has a nice concept with the .50 caliber 1911. On top of that Vic Tibbets makes some BEAUTIFUL 1911s. I sometimes wish he never started Guncrafter because his style on a custom 1911 or revolver has distinctive and beautiful. It comes through in the GI pistols but his full customs were AMAZING!

no one likes the FNP-45 Tactical? this will be my next hangun.
have any of you had any experience with it?