• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rifle to get?

dgcie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Co. Cork
Im wanting to get a rifle to hunt deer and do some paper with.

My options are:

Lee Enfield No1 MK3 (in 303)
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 (in 303)

Marlin xs7
Marlin xs7 Stainless

Remington 700 SPS
Remington 700 SPS varmint
Remington 700 VSF
Remington 700 VLS
Remington 700 VTR
Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Ruger M77 Scout

Im really leaning towards the Remmy VSF but the dealer keeps advising me against it and saying its too heavy for stalking deer and that "its just not the right tool". Then again, I get the feeling he's just saying that so he can push a different rifle onto me.

I would appreciate any input into the matter.

Re: Which rifle to get?

its hard to have a LR rifle and deer rifle and target rifle all in one. guna have to give something up. maybe an sps v with a light tactical stock would work

If it were me, having owned a few of your options, I would go with the SPS tactical. Pick up a used HS precision stock with aluminum bedding block, then I would opt for a nice 3.5-15 range scope, with emphasis on the Nightforce NXS line (NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticle). 20 moa base and 30 mm rings and you are just about set for everything. Sub-moa for paper and steel and reliable for hunting.

I am guessing 308, and the velocity you sacrifice by going to 20 inch as opposed to 26 will not matter on deer sized targets to 400 yards, elk 200-300.

Just my two-bits. YMMV.

Out of all those choices
wink.gif
the clear winner is the Tikka T3
smile.gif

I wouldn't get any of the R700's listed above. Save your money and get a remington 700 5R in .308 if you are looking for a quality factory rifle vice a custom build. People put them up for sale all the time here on the hide. It isn't really a light mountain rifle, but if you want something that is a good all around compromise it's the way to go.

That being said, if you can get a good deal on a .303 british rifle then go for it, especially if you like iron sights. I just think these rifles are a real novelty, like an M1 or M14.

I don't have any experience with the ruger scout or the marlins to comment.

Bottom line is to get what you really want, even if you have to wait awhile. You'll be glad you did.

I second the tikka recommendation. A t3 scout ctr in 308 would do everything you want and more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of all those choices
wink.gif
the clear winner is the Tikka T3
smile.gif
</div></div>

This couldn't be more true.

For hunting and some long range work, I would look into the LTR. If you are looking into more long range shooting, I would look at the 5R which is not listed above.

The best for the money would be a Tikka T3 Scout if you can find one. Last I heard Tikka was no longer making the Scout.

For pure hunting, I would go with a Tikka T3 Lite. They shot awesome and weigh much less than the rifles listed above.

If you are packing a rifle on your shoulder or pack all day like many hunters do, it is sure nice to have a light weight hunting rifle.

If it were me and I did it over again I would definietly go with either the Sendero SF II (which you have not listed in your options), or a model that is closest to it, in this case being the VS SF II. This style of rifle made by remington is considered to be their most accurate in terms of out of the box accuracy and I also think they are light enough for hunting at leased for me. A good tip to make this setup a little more "tactical" is to just add HS Precision's DBM system, and of course a 20 moa rail along with a harris.

Are you going to be walking long distances looking for deer, or playing the sit and wait game? If the former lugging around a heavy barrelled rifle will get old.

I vote for the SPS Tactical, as long as your ok with dumping the trigger and stock. I'd recommend the AAC-SD version though for the better twist rate. JMHO

From your original post, the primary application seems to be hunting. I'd set up the Ruger 77 Scout with a Dot Scope and run with it. Best hunting combination on your list.

Paper? Of course paper. But not the same rifle.

Your dealer is right about this; not the right tool. No point in lugging around something for hunting that's intended for use from a mostly stationary position.

The Enfields are nice curios/relics, shoot well enough for recreational plinking, but the other applications do not apply to them. I'd suggest the No 1, MKIIa Ishapore Enfield with NATO Battle Pack Ball 308/7.62 ammo, nothing heavier than 150-ish bullets. Heavier will pound you into groggy submission. No need to ask how I know this.

Get yourself a decent, simple, reliable .22LR bolt rifle for paper. Plenty capable enough to slay the wily paperbeast.

Greg