• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Who does good parkerizing? And what about chrome?

jrhan762

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
I've got an some parts I'd like to have Parkerized to match my Mossberg 590. I thought about doing it myself, but I'd rather have it done right. I'm looking for some one who does good parkerizing, with a decent turnaround time.

I also have a chrome Bolt Carrier group in a 6.8 AR, and I'd like the bolt to match. Is it simple a matter of plating the existing bolt; or is it made of a differnt alloy entirely? If it's just plating, I'd like to have some parts on my AK done, as well.

Thanks!

Re: Who does good parkerizing? And what about chrome?

Grey or black park? PM me if you wish, it is a weekly thing for me.
You are best off to order a chrome bolt to match you bolt carrier, the cost of plating one or two parts would be prohibitive for the average guy unless you 'know' someone.

I've been looking for a chrome 6.8 bolt, and can't find one. if you know where I could find one, I'd appreciate the lead.

As for the Parkerizing, I haven't seen the color of the 590 yet; it's sitting in a box, waiting for me to get home from Afghaniland. The parts I need done are some ghost-ring sights and a folding stock.

Black chrome is pretty cool. Basically its "dirty chrome". Meaning carbon is added to the solution. I spent alot of time recently with a local plating shop. The issue is film thickness. On car parts like wheels, they copper pkate it first. This is to fill voids and level the surface. This is done to give that rich depth/luster that makes it so appealing.

The problem is you could very easily end up with gun parts that wont go back together. The plater I spoke with suggested that the copper plating could be skipped, so long as the part was fitted/finished 100% prior to plating. Meaning all the nicks are rubbed out first. He'd never done gun parts, but wants to try it.

There's shops out there doing gun work in this. Just be sure you use someone who understands the kinks of how guns go together. Otherwise you could easily end up with a mess.

Good luck.

C.

You can do some fine parking at home with the brownells kit. Just saying.