• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's got McGowen barrels ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    ... and what do you think of them? Just ordered one to re-barrel my MPA 300-WM, and I'm curious to know what other buyers think. Probably should have asked before ordering one, but, that's not how I roll. LOL

I have two blanks I bought of here and spun up 6.5 CM out of them. One is a 18” easily hit a 1/2 size ipsc at 1k and used it at GTI last year. So no problems here. Now if you shoot for group, fclass, or benchrest then there are better options. For hunting or target shooting then go for it.

They're great.

I have several and all shoot under moa easily with handloads. I don't buy factory ammo so no idea there.

They used to do proof blanks, and currently do carbon six blanks if that makes you feel better.

Most importantly, they always hit the timeline.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    My personal .308 barrel on a Tikka, I did one in 22-250 on a Origin for a guy, put another one on an Gunwerks GRB in 28 Nosler. They're all shooters. I have a couple blanks in 6mm 7 twist sitting around for sale. I wouldn't hesitate to use one at all for myself or a customer.

Got one in 6.5-06, it's been a great shooting barrel for many years.

Just got one in 308, 26 inch. 50 rounds through the barrel and its sub MOA without much load development. Using the loads I had from my factory 308 it's about 100fps faster.

The estimate was 10 weeks, took more like 15, but that's just fine by me with the market as it is.

When I placed my order it was 12 to 16 weeks, Aug 3rd will be the 12 wk mark. I'm getting itchy for it to ship, but will put it out of my mind for another month.

I have a Tuebor Raider action w/ a McGowen barrel chambered in 6.5 CM. I have been really impressed with both.

I had/have one on a 6.5CM semi. The fluting looked like it was cut with a dull tool or something, but it shot very very well. Unfortunately Canada banned that rifle so it's no longer getting any use, but I sure wish I could shoot it.

have a 22" .310 bore with 1-10 twist 7.62x39 mcgowen barrel in savage sporter profile on a savage axis. Best shooting x39 ANYTHING i have ever seen with anything i feed it. Its the best part on the entire rifle lol

20 practical 18" ar-15 Ecowen lite contour. Weaver 2-10x36 with out adjustable parallax. Tow different loads 34g nosler around 3700 and 3950.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
      IMG_0867.JPG
      479.7 KB · Views: 88
    • IMG_0865.JPG
      IMG_0865.JPG
      431.7 KB · Views: 66
    I bought 3 Mcgowen barrels in 3 different calipers. 1 they could never get sorted out and finally gave me a refund (chamber was screwed up). Another one had terrible cold bore issues, which i sent back and they witness first hand but wouldn't stand behind. I ended up just eating the cost of the barrel and tons and tons of time and ammo testing and proving the barrel was bad from the start. The third one is still installed and shooting marginal at best.

I've had much better luck with Crown Ridge Barrels. Plus their gunsmith work and customer service is 10x better.

I too had one with a bad chamber, was having two rings on the brass after firing on the neck and a little down past the shoulder. They replaced and the replacement hasn’t had any issues.
    0C32D2A0-2777-45BD-AEF5-85E57EAD62EB.jpeg

Well ... I'll know for myself at some point. My 300-WM McGowen barrel arrives tomorrow via UPS. Ordered Jul-20 so it's gonna be 15 weeks from order-to-receipt. Not bad, all things considered in these crazy times for a custom-barrel. The good news is that my MPA 300-WM with the stock barrel that I "thought" was shot-out ... wasn't. I followed some really good soak-scrub-rinse-and-repeat advice from some guru's on this form with some products I'd never used before ... and I'll be damned if my 4-MOA groups didn't go right back to sub-MOA again. The McGowen will go into the safe, and be ready whenever my MPA burns out (for real). This is a crazy friggin' hobby !!!

That’s not bad at all. My Criterion just shipped today after a 28 week wait.

I too had one with a bad chamber, was having two rings on the brass after firing on the neck and a little down past the shoulder. They replaced and the replacement hasn’t had any issues. View attachment 7692618

I had a barrel recently chambered by gunsmith and have the same ring below the shoulder as you. He said he would chamber a new barrel at his cost. I said no. I will have barrel re-chambered by a gunsmith that does great work. Do you know what caused the case rings?

I've had a couple of McGowen barrels and they were fine. Both shouldered prefits for Tikka - .260AI and .223. Both shot well enough for me. I was getting 2950ish with a Wylde chamber and 75 ELD-Ms over 8208 XBR. I sold the .223 and sincerely regret it.

I had a barrel recently chambered by gunsmith and have the same ring below the shoulder as you. He said he would chamber a new barrel at his cost. I said no. I will have barrel re-chambered by a gunsmith that does great work. Do you know what caused the case rings?
    I would guess a chip got stuck on the cutting edge of the reamer. I have only chambered about 10 barrels so I would not consider myself to be an expert maybe a knowledgeable rookie, my barrels out shoot me so I am happy with my results and I have no rings like that.

Reactions: Hkmiller
    I would guess a chip got stuck on the cutting edge of the reamer. I have only chambered about 10 barrels so I would not consider myself to be an expert maybe a knowledgeable rookie, my barrels out shoot me so I am happy with my results and I have no rings like that.
    No only the ring but all fired cases were about .004 larger in diameter that the SAAMI chamber specs. My fired cases would not even fit in my full length sizing die.