• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are people just now.....

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Figuring out which gun they want to buy (from the perspective they don't have a good Self-Def gun)? I've had people ask what they should buy; before proceeding to tell me:
1) my long-time hairdresser says
2) my hot auburn-haired fluffer says
3) the spotted owl on the roof top told me
4) my (insert adjective noun phrase) told me

Among the suggestions given by adjective-noun:
1) Any 1911 because it's made of steel and 45 ACP; and it has a safety.
2) 22 win mag
3) 22 TCM (apparently this ammo is fairly easy to acquire at this juncture).
4) "You don't want a 9mm"
5) 9mm is expensive and XYZ is not.
6) Taurus Judge shoots a "410" yep, cuz that's 0.41 caliber...yes...go measure it.

I'll plead some ignorance to 22TCM so I went and looked at it...Proprietary gun, proprietary round (or at least 1 maker of gun, 1 maker of ammo - may not be technically proprietary, but it's pretty 'exlusive')

Pretty sure I pissed of the whole lot of them with my answers...but...

I know...people just don't plan ahead...until it's too late. It's like somebody slowing down IN the turn and not BEFORE the turn. People without firearms who are not against firearms likely thought they had better things to spend money on. The one person I know has recently had arthritis flare up badly, so for that I can understand certain parameters that hamper the search for a good SD weapon and my suggestions there are pretty limited.

Spent 2 hours yesterday fielding calls just like this. Told them all that they were about 9 months late to the party.
Well, at least 5 months very late and 7 months casually late ;). It was in mid-March the prices really started going up on ammo; by April most "common" stuff was gone. Still asking why I didn't buy more 22LR. I forget how fun 22 is to shoot, the low drama associated with it, and how fast you can get your skills back. But then some folks think 500 rounds is a lot of ammo (that's just a 22 brick as we all know). Yet if you were arrested even with 22 LR brick...you'd be portrayed as a madman for having FIVE HUNDRED ROUNDS of ammo.

Don't get me wrong...I'd like to have a Fabarm Over/Under Elos D2, but that's a bit of a different animal, same with a Versamax V3 (if they will even be around after the Remington fiasco). I'm all for folks buying EXTRAs but to think that 2 months before likely the most contentious election in US history is mind numbing to just be "thinking" about self-protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmanss
Where? Not in my area.

Went to 2 big box stores yesterday on lunch. Both cabelas and scheels had .40 on the shelves. But zero 9mm. Cabelas had zero .223/556 but scheels had some pmc tac.

If they are this far behind the curve, really anything they can get their hands on that can shoot and get a box or two of ammo for will be better than nothing.
As much as it sounds nuts to us, 100 rounds is probably more than folks in that category will use. Probably shoot 20 or so and then just keep the rest for "if something happens."

.22 TCM is actually a pretty decent round for SD as compared to .22 or .22 Mag.
It's pretty much in the same class as the 5.7x28 as far as how it works. (40gr round at 2k fps out of a pistol).
The pistols for it are pretty much limited to 1911 style single and double stack, BUT the slides glide back with almost no effort and it's got very little recoil.

Around here in the DFW area, the gun stores are pretty barren of new handguns on the cheap side and all ammo.
They are being stocked primarily with used guns people are bringing in and some ammo and expensive pistols trickling in.
They keep some ammo aside so anyone buying a brand new gun can get at least a box or two of ammo with it.

My friend however just got back from a business trip, driving all around north and west Texas and once you get about 3 hours out of the big stinks, there is all the guns and ammo you could want and plenty of magazines too, as well as primers and powder.

If someone is really hard up, hit the internet, then the phones then get in the car and drive a couple hours.

Reactions: OldSalty2
All of the big box stores Around here are out of most pistol, like I’ve seen a few boxes of 45 colt and some of those CCI rat shot pistol loads, and brass cases 223/5.56 is gone too. I was in a smaller shop today that had a bunch of 223/5.56 on the shelf. But, their everyday prices would make CTD blush...

The 22 TCM ammo looks very old design JHP, but I guess at 2000 FPS..well, won't matter. And, it's available. I like the concept; but in reality I'm not sold. But, better than nothing and like you said, better than a 22 LR. I admit I liked it on Midways' show with Joe Montegna, looked awesome but you better have your ear plugs in and your sunglasses on. ;).

Tbh, one of the best bets for newbies right now for home SD might be a 20/12 ga. Cabelas had mountains of shells...

Last edited:
I just bought a four inch Blunderbuss . It's got a D-Bal2 on it and a binary trigger .
I’ve read that you can outrun the gun with those triggers, in some systems. You probably want to test it before you put it into you SD rotation...😂

• Haha
Reactions: Alphatreedog
The 22 TCM ammo looks very old design JHP, but I guess at 2000 FPS..well, won't matter. And, it's available. I like the concept; but in reality I'm not sold. But, better than nothing and like you said, better than a 22 LR. I admit I liked it on Midways' show with Joe Montegna, looked awesome but you better have your ear plugs in and your sunglasses on. ;).

Never shot a 22TCM.

Do have a 6in Smith model 53 in 22 Rem Jet. 45 grain SP at ~1700fps.

Dont shoot it much but it is loud AF and rips fire out the end.

Back in the day shot it a few times without earpro. Probably why I am all "what?, what?" as I have gotten older. :(

I avoid firearms related conversations with................everyone

Those that ask don't know shit and won't like the answers. Or want validation and will argue when you tell them their choices are retarded.

Those that don't ask usually already know and are competent anyway

Never shot a 22TCM.

Do have a 6in Smith model 53 in 22 Rem Jet. 45 grain SP at ~1700fps.

Dont shoot it much but it is loud AF and rips fire out the end.

Back in the day shot it a few times without earpro. Probably why I am all "what?, what?" as I have gotten older. :(
To quote Sgt Carter. "I can't hear YOUUUUUUUU" :) I understand. Dad was like you're deaf because of concerts. I was like nope...go get a hearing check after last bunch of shows (back in 2015) and first thing out of audiologist's mouth..."do you shoot guns a lot?" Your hearing is almost perfect except for this massive dip at 4KHz.

If they are this far behind the curve, really anything they can get their hands on that can shoot and get a box or two of ammo for will be better than nothing.
As much as it sounds nuts to us, 100 rounds is probably more than folks in that category will use. Probably shoot 20 or so and then just keep the rest for "if something happens."

.22 TCM is actually a pretty decent round for SD as compared to .22 or .22 Mag.
It's pretty much in the same class as the 5.7x28 as far as how it works. (40gr round at 2k fps out of a pistol).
The pistols for it are pretty much limited to 1911 style single and double stack, BUT the slides glide back with almost no effort and it's got very little recoil.

Around here in the DFW area, the gun stores are pretty barren of new handguns on the cheap side and all ammo.
They are being stocked primarily with used guns people are bringing in and some ammo and expensive pistols trickling in.
They keep some ammo aside so anyone buying a brand new gun can get at least a box or two of ammo with it.

My friend however just got back from a business trip, driving all around north and west Texas and once you get about 3 hours out of the big stinks, there is all the guns and ammo you could want and plenty of magazines too, as well as primers and powder.

If someone is really hard up, hit the internet, then the phones then get in the car and drive a couple hours.

Look on your local (Name of your State)Gun Trader. Lots of fire arms for sale at good prices. Ammo on the other hand is sky high.

I actually sold off a lot of pistols over the past months that I had sitting around for some time.
Stuff that would sell in the under $500 range.
Put it on consignment at the local gun store with a couple mags and a box or two of bullets for each and they went like hotcakes.

Tell them anything in a .50 BMG necked down to .17 cal.
Great idea....low recoil too :). Imagine the grip would be pretty thick and double stack out of the question. Regardless the amount of flame and the sheer decibels would scare the bad guy to death.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I actually sold off a lot of pistols over the past months that I had sitting around for some time.
Stuff that would sell in the under $500 range.
Put it on consignment at the local gun store with a couple mags and a box or two of bullets for each and they went like hotcakes.
I sold two glocks for $2k, they were off roster here and the fella was happy to pay that for them. I wasn't a complete jerk and threw in some extra mags and holsters for both. Since then my other off roster goodies have been quivering whenever the safe door opens!

Lots of .40 ammo on the shelves in Missoula..... A few large rifle primers, no others..... No reloading supplies.... An occasional box of 300 Win Mag....

Hobo

I sold two glocks for $2k, they were off roster here and the fella was happy to pay that for them. I wasn't a complete jerk and threw in some extra mags and holsters for both. Since then my other off roster goodies have been quivering whenever the safe door opens!
What’s it feel like to use the word roster when talking about handguns instead of baseball! Lol

:LOL: I guess thats as good as a reach around.

Lots of .40 ammo on the shelves in Missoula..... A few large rifle primers, no others..... No reloading supplies.... An occasional box of 300 Win Mag....

Hobo

Been my experience as well.

Strange that 40 seems to be laying around lol...probably not for much longer.

Oh, and have seen a decent amount of 338 and 50 haha...

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
there are good deals to be had. I just picked up a third gen G17 for 350 bucks. had to buy mags as the owner kept them for his 19, but that wasn't bad.

Reactions: TexPatriot
Should I get a 9mm or .45?

Is it okay if my red dot is described as MOA but the adjustments are in mils?

Me when an acquaintance asks about guns.

mv-_LkVCM9gFFs7PoxyLB2QE7yU6PfZ5QUnzCvlmMkJtovbFk6KZbfPg4F6Y45iRkY__UrsBPz_iZ9cicV0fLm2_3f79sRLwOGe6Kg

Shortly before the great ammo/firearms shortage of early 2013, there was a lot of talk about which caliber/firearm to get in case of a SHTF scenario. Many said 9mm because of its popularity and availability, well it was one of the first to disappear off the shelves. The last was the .40 cal. I had gone into the local Scheels and the cases were empty of all firearms except for some .40 cal and the shelves were depleted of most ammo as well. I resolved at that time that my next firearm purchase was going to be something in .40. Early 2014, after much research and handling of what was in stock, I finally decided on an H&K P30L. With it adjustable grip panels, it fit my hand perfectly. When I took it out, I found it to be accurate and reliable. The .40 cal. lost popularity when the FBI switched to 9mm thinking that more is better. When I purchased my firearms, one of the criteria was to get a variety of calibers and that axiom has worked out nicely for me.

H&K P30L .40 cal. v.1 001.JPG

My Wife and I hosted/mentored a small group of CCL Aficionados here locally....started because my Wife is like 5'/120 pounds soaking wet but managed to break all the myths at the local range about "what the little lady needs for self protection". She started back 30 years ago with a Colt Officers ACP in .45 but as she has aged and gotten arthritis and survived cancer he simply cannot rack the slide, load it, or deal with the recoil. So we started buying pistols and having her shoot them until she settled on what works best for her - not what someone else has decided The Little Lady need for self defense.

And then she got noticed by other Little Ladies who had been in the position of having significant others pick guns for them and they had developed flinches and slide cuts and were having all sorts of issues and then my Wife takes them under her wing and lets them shoot her guns or "our" guns and bring them back around.

My point is that there are lots of newbies becoming aware of the fact that The Republic is going a direction that does not instill a whole lot of confidence in someone else protecting them or their loved ones. And they seek arms and training. And the amount of shitty information and bias/prejudice about calibers and types of guns and equipment is rampant and confuses and derails newbies. So we have a group that shares guns and mentors each other....bringing new gun owners into a more nurturing fold since 2012. We have consistently had maybe a dozen members until like April/May and now we have 60 and it's getting out of hand.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of folks becoming aware of the fact that the 2A exists for a reason and it, now maybe more than ever in the US's History, is pertinent. We are responsible for defending ourselves and shit loads of people are figuring out they have not been prepared properly to do that and seek to fix it.

VooDoo

If everyone understands they must take ten Communists before they win their fight or succumb to the horde, all will be fine regardless of caliber or weapon considered.

Seems to me the prices of some firearms are falling. Esp 9mm handguns. LGS here in my AO had plenty of semi auto handguns, lots of which are 9mm.

But no 9mm ammo :)

Not the ideal situation for newbies.

Just wonder if the lack ammo availability will impact gun prices?

Seems to me the prices of some firearms are falling. Esp 9mm handguns. LGS here in my AO had plenty of semi auto handguns, lots of which are 9mm.

But no 9mm ammo :)

Not the ideal situation for newbies.

Just wonder if the lack ammo availability will impact gun prices?
Unfortunately, I think there's enough people looking for a first time gun that they don't even take that into consideration. They will continue to overpay for guns and ammo because they don't know what good prices are. I've also noticed that some of those who are first time buyers are the Dem engineers with a lot of expendable income, so they don't really care what they pay.

Got a notification for 9mm 147s being in stock at sportmans outdoors.

500 for 399.99, ouch.

But if you need it,...probably will not last too long.

202eisidiie358.jpg

I’ve broke out the 870 compact camo 20 gauge turkey Gun. With an aim point on it, I’m good to 40 yards easy and I dont have hallways half that long....

Think I might pickup a few more and just stash them in closets....

Reactions: OldSalty2
Well, at least 5 months very late and 7 months casually late ;). It was in mid-March the prices really started going up on ammo; by April most "common" stuff was gone. Still asking why I didn't buy more 22LR. I forget how fun 22 is to shoot, the low drama associated with it, and how fast you can get your skills back. But then some folks think 500 rounds is a lot of ammo (that's just a 22 brick as we all know). Yet if you were arrested even with 22 LR brick...you'd be portrayed as a madman for having FIVE HUNDRED ROUNDS of ammo.

Don't get me wrong...I'd like to have a Fabarm Over/Under Elos D2, but that's a bit of a different animal, same with a Versamax V3 (if they will even be around after the Remington fiasco). I'm all for folks buying EXTRAs but to think that 2 months before likely the most contentious election in US history is mind numbing to just be "thinking" about self-protection.
Right there with you on the low drama .22 shooting. Some folks meditate to relax, I break out the Annie and head to the range.

Reactions: BytorJr
Been melting down wheel weights and casting lead 9mm ball. No shortage at all.
You must be in the business. Or do you go to car parks. I THOUGHT my wheels were wobbling a bit🙃