• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why do people still mount scopes the way they do?

I just reread most of this thread. I've come to the conclusion:
1) Some engineers work outside of their stated field of expertise :) :)
2) I've been doing it all wrong. Putting my rifle in my lead sled, leveling rifle at the "mount" , using plumb bob is not correct. ;) . Admittedly, sometimes the leveling the rifle can be a PITA though in that contraption.

Seriously though, the person recommending a tripod with mount seems to have hit on something. I have neither a tripod nor a mount (in plans).The tripod/mount technique would allow one to do a fairly nice job of leveling the rifle's base to which the mount/rings will go as well as get the eye relief likely correct on the first take. The only potential issue there is the leveling of the base/rail as I've seen a lot of variation in the "roll-axis" based on where one is on the 1553 rail just by the way the level itself sits on the rail (my experience only, not "law").

The tripod leveling concept is similar to that Badger ordnance device, which admittedly takes the "gun-to-person interface" out of the picture, and focuses on having the scope & reticle itself plumb-bob-level in the rings/mount. That system also allows the "jig" to be level based on a wider "roll-axis" and longer "pitch axis" which should provide a more accurate leveling. Also, the Badger Ordnance device would be a nice tool for scope tracking tests as well if one wanted to do multiple scopes at a time.

I think the downside of the B.O. is that the eye relief needs to be found first and how you're going to mount it on the rifle; whereas the tripod method allows potentially for both. Since I seem to fight eye relief at times, maybe I should hurry up acquisition of a tripod and go down that rabbit hole of a thread too.

Just my opinion..no math here. But Frank's analysis is spot on (as if there was a question on that!).

We finished a two-class yesterday

Marc tests every scope in our classes,
SH_2021_SH-20.jpg

We adjusted 5 students, (even the OCD ones) for canted Reticles in the rings ... in fact, we see 1/3 of all students have scopes that are mounted with a slight cant in the rings. 99% have no idea, regardless of how they mounted them.

It is so common we have taken to testing every student because it's fixing the problem.

Then to compound the amount of shooters who naturally push and pull the rifle, canting during the shot process is even bigger, at which point the fix is not the scope, the level or the shooter, but the Bipod. The only way to fix a student who pushes and pulls the rifle over ( 99% to the right) is to give them a bipod that locks in place. In some cases we even set the rifle to 11:30 because they are so heavy-headed, we have to adjust them off-center, knowing they will push it straight.

Canting a rifle that is set up, level scope to level rifle is worse than canting the scope or rifle to account for a known value,

The main problem we face is the butt of the rifle. Manufacturers fail to recognize the back of the rifle needs to be adjustable for both cant and lift. You fix the back of the rifle, you solve a lot of problems

Last edited:
@lowlight ....

When you were adjusting the scopes that had canted reticles in the rings- couldn't that have actually made things worse? If the rifle doesn't have an adjustable stock (and fits me better without being 100% level) sometimes I intentionally cant the reticle in the rings so that it is then level in the position that I will be shooting. If it was pulled off and put on the scope tester it would definitely be canted.... but when it is positioned the best in my shoulder it would be true.

@lowlight ....

When you were adjusting the scopes that had canted reticles in the rings- couldn't that have actually made things worse? If the rifle doesn't have an adjustable stock (and fits me better without being 100% level) sometimes I intentionally cant the reticle in the rings so that it is then level in the position that I will be shooting. If it was pulled off and put on the scope tester it would definitely be canted.... but when it is positioned the best in my shoulder it would be true.

Spare me, none of them purposely set it up that way

If it was done on purpose they would say and to imply we would make someone "worse" is a fucking insult

Reactions: HogsLife
I'm glad I don't go around looking to be insulted.... that seems like it would get old really fast--

All I was saying-- if you are already having problems with them pushing and pulling the rifle over enough that you are locking the bipod at 11:30.... then couldn't leveling the scope to the rings instead of leveling the scope to how they are going to be holding the rifle cause more issue with them pulling it.

That was it-- a question-- not saying that you are making people worse shots or slandering your school.
Spare me, none of them purposely set it up that way

If it was done on purpose they would say and to imply we would make someone "worse" is a fucking insult

You're an asshole,

you are giving people the credit they don't deserve and taking away the credit that we KNOW what we are doing

We constantly adjust people off-center to fix problems,

None of these are that, and we specifically ask dickhead ... who did you hear or read that line from, ME, of course you did ... trying to repeat my own words back to me is even worse

People like you are the problem in this industry

Thank you for the kind words..... My high school guidance counselor told me I would never amount to anything-- and now you are giving me credit for being able to take down the whole gun industry with a question. Boy was he wrong.:)

And you lost me at the "who did you hear that from" thing.... Of course it was you- it was a few posts up. That's what inspired my question. I don't get what that has to do with anything... I asked a question about what you said.... so I needed to have what you said-- I guess I could have put a really good Mother Teresa quote in there..... but somehow that just didn't make sense.

You're an asshole,

you are giving people the credit they don't deserve and taking away the credit that we KNOW what we are doing

We constantly adjust people off-center to fix problems,

None of these are that, and we specifically ask dickhead ... who did you hear or read that line from, ME, of course you did ... trying to repeat my own words back to me is even worse

People like you are the problem in this industry

** I officially withdraw my question. Have a wonderful day.

What a tool ...

I didn't read a question, I read an accusation... as if we don't understand how to adjust a rifle to a shooter. That we can't or don't recognize when a shooter might need an adjustment, or before we move or adjust anything, we don't ask the student if that was intentional.

Funny story, we walked into King Sooper the other day, there was a college-aged Girl out front collecting signatures for a petition to lower the Taxes in CO. She approached Marc first and he said, I can't sign it, but Frank you should. After I signed it, she turned to him and asked him.

Marc Says, No I live in Alaska... She replies, Where's Alaska... Marc answers, Please say you didn't just ask me that, and Her "Question" was... Is it cold there? She had no clue, we realized she made a mistake saying "where is Alaska" so she framed her statement, "is it cold there" in the form of a question to avoid further embarrassment

......Well- I can't help how you read it- I can only reply to how I typed it-- and if you look at the post you will see it is un-edited and has one of these little (?) thingies at the end.

So your little story is wrong.... never changed my question a bit.

I got some friends in Louisiana.

Love it, Houma, Dulack Cocodri Bossier City. Fine people and food.

If I left Texas that is probably where I would end up.

I got some friends in Louisiana.

Love it, Houma, Dulack Cocodri Bossier City. Fine people and food.

If I left Texas that is probably where I would end up.
The hurricanes really kicked our ass last year. We still haven't recovered from it. I am at the FT Polk location. I enjoyed Texas when I was stationed at FT Hood.

Reading the little dust up above, I’m reminded of that great line from The Point. “You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear.” Lol
1628548445863.jpeg