• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why hasnt anyone developed a LRF w picatinny mount

EasyRhino72

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2006
Northern Va
It seems like most of us have or use laser range finders to some extent. I saw the Insight PSQ23 STORM a while back and it made me wonder why no one has developed a mountable LFR that has a LED readout on the rear of the unit and could be mounted on an accessory rail (like a PEQ)?

Now granted, you should be able to range with your mildots but........

any thoughts?

Re: Why hasnt anyone developed a LRF w picatinny mount

well for one it will only line up with your optic at a specific range.

after that you would have to visually look through the range finder. this would be ocward with it on a rail.

Negative Ghost rider, line of sight and a laser would be parallel, the same offset at the viewer would exist at the target.

One could make a mount that is sandwiched between the spotting scope and the tripod.

Making a secure mount that would have the fine adjustment for initial alignment would be the trick.

JBW @ USO was eluding to doing something like a built in range finder a while ago, but it was going to be pricey.

While rather gizmoish Zeiss incorporated a LRF into one of their scope lines. Burris copied the idea too.

IMO the idea of having everything incorporated into the sighting optic would be optimal. I do think what you suggest has merit if it could be done in a small package, like the idea of the led display at the back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative Ghost rider, line of sight and a laser would be parallel, the same offset at the viewer would exist at the target.
</div></div>

You may want to rethink that one.

The laser would only be co witnessed to the optic at a certain Dope. When you change the dope on your rifle you are altering the angle of the bore (and any rails co-located) to the optic.

So if you dialed the laser in to be spot on at your zero. You would need to make sure you returned to the zero before lasing the next target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative Ghost rider, line of sight and a laser would be parallel, the same offset at the viewer would exist at the target.
</div></div>

You may want to rethink that one.

The laser would only be co witnessed to the optic at a certain Dope. When you change the dope on your rifle you are altering the angle of the bore (and any rails co-located) to the optic.

So if you dialed the laser in to be spot on at your zero. You would need to make sure you returned to the zero before lasing the next target. </div></div>

On a rifle scope this would be true, my comment was involving a spotting scope.

I guess if one were using a cam adjusted base like a Leaterwood ART type the line of sight wouldn't change after the inital zero had been done.

However we all heard what reputation those setups have for durabillity.