• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Why is frangible ammo not allowed on an AAC?

CanPopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Houston, TX
I recently received my Ranger 2 and on its warning label is not to shoot frangible ammo and 22LR through it.

Why is this so? Shouldn't both be stablized enough to not cause any baffle strikes?

Re: Why is frangible ammo not allowed on an AAC?

rumor has it that occasionally frangible ammo will come apart and do major damage to the internals in the can, at least that's what aac told me.

It is not rumor. Frangible ammo will sometimes come apart as it is leaving the barrel and it will beat up a suppressor really bad. I recommend strongly not shooting frangible ammo in any suppressor.

Chuck

why the .22, I understand the frangible ammo, but not the .22 they also say no .22 out of there 7.62sd cans, but I have several thousand rounds through mine with no problems and it's even just as quiet as my aac piolet

Do you mean 22 LR or .224 centerfire?

22 LR stuff if FILTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why.

More because the .22lr ammo leaves lead deposits in the suppressor. On a center-fire suppressor like the 762-SD it really won't hurt anything and you can even vaporize much of the lead by shooting center-fire ammo at a high enough rate of fire to get the suppressor really hot. The manufacturers are worried that a user might get a large amount of lead in the suppressor and then have a chunk break loose. Having a chunk of lead in the bullet path can be a very bad thing.
wink.gif

I've witnessed more than one suppressor destroyed with frangible ammo after I warned the shooters not to do it.

I've witnessed guys dump thousands of rounds of .22lr ammo through 5.56 suppressors on MGs and then switch over to a 5.56 host and dump a few mags full-auto. Seen the same guy do that for years in fact at MG shoots.

As they say, YMMV.

Frangible ammo is always a no-no.

Shoot .22lr through a center-fire suppressor if you feel like it just understand the slight potential risk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean 22 LR or .224 centerfire?

22 LR stuff if FILTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why. </div></div>

Thats why quality 22LR cans can be broken down to clean.