• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is it always pitt bulls?

again, i respectfully disagree.

you can be the best owner of that dog, but if it somehow gets triggered in a situation, or decides it doesnt want to be your dog anymore (bolts, runs, 110lbs of dog chew its way to freedom), there is nothing an owner can do about it.
How about GSDs or Belgians? Belgians have a wildly high bite drive. I’d you’ve ever seen a Malinois puppy it bites under any arousal. Training fixes that. A properly trained pitbull is no different. You don’t see MWDs just randomly decide one day that they don’t want to be their handler’s anymore. More importantly, it’s the owners fault if they allow their dog to get into a situation where they may be over aroused and hurt someone. There are always clues, know you’re dogs clues that they’re uncomfortable and you can deescalate before fighting is even an option for them.

I love the people who defend the breed. They are regularly caught making statements about bad dog owners and bad situations and bla bla bla.

If I was king of America the law would be simple:

Have whatever kind of dog you want, but if your dog kills someone, you get murder 1 for it. If they maul someone severly, you get felony aggravated assault. If you don't want that responsibility, don't own a dangerous dog breed. If you want one and are responsible, this idea won't bother you, but if this idea bothers you, go look in a mirror, you are the problem.

Apply that to the police and the King's men and the "King's dogs" and then we'll start talking.
Otherwise STFU!

Also, I don't see you mentioning the difference when criminals get what's coming to them when they break into houses, trespass onto properties or try to attack folks and the dogs do what they are supposed to do?

How about GSDs or Belgians? Belgians have a wildly high bite drive. I’d you’ve ever seen a Malinois puppy it bites under any arousal. Training fixes that. A properly trained pitbull is no different. You don’t see MWDs just randomly decide one day that they don’t want to be their handler’s anymore. More importantly, it’s the owners fault if they allow their dog to get into a situation where they may be over aroused and hurt someone. There are always clues, know you’re dogs clues that they’re uncomfortable and you can deescalate before fighting is even an option for them.

I'm not an advocate for either of those dogs either. Knew a guy who handled and trained military dogs. He said we have to train the agression into the GSDs, the Belgium's you don't have to do that, you have to train them to control it until commanded to release

I am in the process of training our 4th Australian Shepard, who is now just over 1 year.
The traits bred into this breed are obvious. They exist, and it is my job to nurture the positive ones and weed out the bad.
All four of my Aussies have suprised me with some unexpected behavior on occasion. All animals are somewhat unpredictable.
This Pit attack is a tragic thing, but common enough to be extra aware.

Prey drive plus demographics

GSDs are kinda like the made it off well fair into a first blue collar pitbull

Only dog in recent memory where I had my hand on my gun was some wannabe operator bro quasi hipster dude with the
“I’m hard” beard with his GSD with a big ass nylon embroidered collar, dude was sitting outside at a coffee joint and the dog was growling at everyone

As a old vato friend once said

“If you don’t control it, you don’t own it”

People getting dogs for protection, outside of VERY few who put the time in and have the skill to train them as such, and then the brains to know it’s no longer really a pet and should NOT be in public, it’s just tiresome and stupid.

My dog loves everyone, humans, cats, birds, other dogs, and it’s really fucking nice knowing I could let him loose in a room filled with infants and have not a concern in my mind

Now if someone tries to break in he’ll let out a “woof” or two and hide in my room, which is perfect as if it’s going to go that way I’d rather deal with it as a human with weapons and lights, than trust my pup to bite the right asshole and not get in the way

Apply that to the police and the King's men and the "King's dogs" and then we'll start talking.
Otherwise STFU!

Also, I don't see you mentioning the difference when criminals get what's coming to them when they break into houses, trespass onto properties or try to attack folks and the dogs do what they are supposed to do?
See if you can find that mirror killer.

my lab loves water and will sniff out quail for fun and has a good temperament. every lab i’ve ever had is that way. it’s the way they have been bred for 4000 plus years. pit bulls have been bred to be what they are. hate them or love them statistically they are what they are and that is not a dog you want around little kids.

Pits are NOT just like any other dog. Shepherds, pointers, retrievers--even rat terriers were all specially bred to do what they do, and most examples will herd/point/retrieve (somewhat) without any special training.

Pits were bred to be aggressive. I can't believe people are surprised when they do what they were bred for. Add in that so many lower class people own them--which means that many aren't treated well, or get any training beyond housebreaking.

I don't like pits. I've met several that were sweet, nice, and playful. I've met a couple that were well behaved and well trained. I haven't met a single one that I'd trust with my granddaughters.

This is coming from a guy who has German Shepherds--during the 70s when everyone wanted a 'police dog' GSDs were considered the most dangerous breed......and they weren't entirely wrong. Bad breeding, bad owners, and the GSD's specially selected, inbred traits can easily become a dangerous animal.
The American Pit Bull Terrier was bred for purpose also. Just like the others you listed. Boar-baiting/hog hunting.

GSD has higher bite pressure than Pit Bulls.

“You have to be an idiot to own guns with young children”. The concepts are the same. It’s always funny watching Boomers come on social to bitch about things they don’t know anything about. Just like you train and educate with guns, train your dogs and they’ll be well behaved. Just like my pit who I have spent the time and energy to train.
Only at Post 15, and yet the most reasonable so far

• Haha
Reactions: godofthunder
Next time I'll finish the thread, before replying. Lots of good arguments made here.

Ultimately, the story in the OP is beyond a tragedy. I can't imagine.

Love my pits, it's all we've ever had. But at the end of the day, they're tools, and react to how you use them. Treat any animal right, and it will be your best friend.

Pits are NOT just like any other dog. Shepherds, pointers, retrievers--even rat terriers were all specially bred to do what they do, and most examples will herd/point/retrieve (somewhat) without any special training.

Pits were bred to be aggressive. I can't believe people are surprised when they do what they were bred for. Add in that so many lower class people own them--which means that many aren't treated well, or get any training beyond housebreaking.

I don't like pits. I've met several that were sweet, nice, and playful. I've met a couple that were well behaved and well trained. I haven't met a single one that I'd trust with my granddaughters.

This is coming from a guy who has German Shepherds--during the 70s when everyone wanted a 'police dog' GSDs were considered the most dangerous breed......and they weren't entirely wrong. Bad breeding, bad owners, and the GSD's specially selected, inbred traits can easily become a dangerous animal.
And Isn't "Pit Bull" a generic term? For all sorts of Bulldogs (Terriers?) that run the Gamut from an ugly pug-like English Bulldogs to the nasty inbred Crack Dealer "Pits" so romanticize in music videos and foisted upon the American Public starting in the 1990's with Hip Hop Culture.

IMHO, that's where the 'bad' Pit Bull came from. Not necessarily from their nature... except they were bred for dogfighting and killing rats in a pit.

As for German Shephards.... right on! I remember those days. And the days of Dobermans... which were considered the 'killers' in the '70's an '80's.

Same with Siamese cats... in the '60's and 70's that breed was destroyed almost by breeding mills trying to fill demand for "Disney cats."

Trace bad dogs to popular culture, high demand and unscrupulous breeders... Every time!

Sirhr

PS... Now that I think about it... can trace school shootings to "I don't like Mondays" and popular culture.... Gang violence to Hip Hop videos, rap and popular culture. You make money by selling violent kids, dogs, gangbangers, etc.... You get culture riddled with violent kids, dogs, gangbangers trying to emulate 'art.' If you can call it that.

Last edited:
While the whole getting killed thing is what makes the news, all those small "innocent" little sweet house dogs can be very dangerous to be left alone with infants / toddlers / young children. Plenty of kids get injured by tiny little safe dogs each year.

There are a few of the bigger breed dogs that are very good with children, but even then, realistically don't leave your kids alone with any animals when they are a bit too small.

I am in the process of training our 4th Australian Shepard, who is now just over 1 year.
The traits bred into this breed are obvious. They exist, and it is my job to nurture the positive ones and weed out the bad.
All four of my Aussies have suprised me with some unexpected behavior on occasion. All animals are somewhat unpredictable.
This Pit attack is a tragic thing, but common enough to be extra aware.
We had an Aussie growing up. Sweetest dog ever.

But if someone was aggressive toward a family member, that dog would turn into a Tasmaian Devil in a second. Could go from sweet to very, very aggressive in a second.

She was always on a leash and well-trained. But woe betide anyone who attacked her 'flock.' And her flock was us!

Sirhr

Once a pit bull latches on to something, it has a very strong bite force and neck muscles.

They are no better or worse, temprament-wise, than other dogs. But are also a choice of shitbags... (as well as many fine owners of the breed). And when shitbag owners, violent dogs and strong genetic-bite force get together... it is bad.

Plus "Golden Retriever Bites Man" is not a headline. Pit Bulls have been getting a bad rap from the press since shitbag rappers made them into... shitbag dogs.

Which they are not.

Very few bad dogs out there. But there are many bad owners. Who create bad dogs.

Sirhr

Fucking 100% this! ! !

Per cop dogs

Cop dog attacks cop, quickly shoot the dog

Now the funny thing is if it’s wrongly attacking a non blu line bro, they’ll just wait till the dog tuckers itself out or gets bored and let’s go

Also compare this

Police provoking a dog that never bites them, and then shooting the dog to death, while arresting the owner for a 1A activity

To this

When a police dog is currently attacking a man, who naturally tries to shoot the animal which could have killed him, only to have police shoot the man to death to protect their dog….that was actively attacking him

FECC8D3B-6B5F-491D-AD1C-95763FD8C1D8.jpeg

not to mention there is 18-10 millions of them in america, so millions of innocent puppies. :p

my lab loves water and will sniff out quail for fun and has a good temperament. every lab i’ve ever had is that way. it’s the way they have been bred for 4000 plus years. pit bulls have been bred to be what they are. hate them or love them statistically they are what they are and that is not a dog you want around little kids.
Not quite, a quick Google search tells me labs date back to 1830. I'd say that goes for most current breeds these days, they aren't but a few hundred years old.

Yes, pits have breed characteristics - and it is still 100% the responsibility of the owner (or potential owner) to have extremely honest conversations with themselves about their fitness of owning that particular breed...just like any other breed and their characteristics.

“You have to be an idiot to own guns with young children”. The concepts are the same. It’s always funny watching Boomers come on social to bitch about things they don’t know anything about. Just like you train and educate with guns, train your dogs and they’ll be well behaved. Just like my pit who I have spent the time and energy to train.
If you believe your gun may decide on its own to kill someone then do it, then perhaps you should not own guns either.

One just has to pick the right tool for the job...

crew served.png

Cheers,

Sirhr

A neighbor has two pit bulls. One is easy going, but can get excited. The other only runs on emotion. It NEVER thinks about what to do. It is super aggressive towards persons walking by the house, along the fenced in yard.

They never let the nutty dog out, ever. Now they no longer let it roam the part of the yard that adjoins the street. If this dog ever got out, it would be biting people, I am sure of this. I cannot see training having much of an effect on this animal, if any. The better tempered dog, it can get excited if the nutty and stupid dog is barking and being aggressive.

I could see how if one of these two pit bulls bit someone, the other could go on instinct and they would kill a person, even the owner's kid. So when I read about pit bulls turning on their owner, I understand how it can happen. Some pits just go on emotions, and that can spiral out of control.

Reactions: diverdon
A neighbor has two pit bulls. One is easy going, but can get excited. The other only runs on emotion. It NEVER thinks about what to do. It is super aggressive towards persons walking by the house, along the fenced in yard.

They never let the nutty dog out, ever. Now they no longer let it roam the part of the yard that adjoins the street. If this dog ever got out, it would be biting people, I am sure of this. I cannot see training having much of an effect on this animal, if any. The better tempered dog, it can get excited if the nutty and stupid dog is barking and being aggressive.

I could see how if one of these two pit bulls bit someone, the other could go on instinct and they would kill a person, even the owner's kid. So when I read about pit bulls turning on their owner, I understand how it can happen. Some pits just go on emotions, and that can spiral out of control.
Mental illness is not limited to humans. It happens in animals, too.

Dog probably votes for Bernie and gets all emotional when it sees Save the Whale videos or Pussy hats.

Sirhr

And Isn't "Pit Bull" a generic term? For all sorts of Bulldogs (Terriers?) that run the Gamut from an ugly pug-like English Bulldogs to the nasty inbred Crack Dealer "Pits" so romanticize in music videos and foisted upon the American Public starting in the 1990's with Hip Hop Culture.

IMHO, that's where the 'bad' Pit Bull came from. Not necessarily from their nature... except they were bred for dogfighting and killing rats in a pit.

As for German Shephards.... right on! I remember those days. And the days of Dobermans... which were considered the 'killers' in the '70's an '80's.

Same with Siamese cats... in the '60's and 70's that breed was destroyed almost by breeding mills trying to fill demand for "Disney cats."

Trace bad dogs to popular culture, high demand and unscrupulous breeders... Every time!

Sirhr

PS... Now that I think about it... can trace school shootings to "I don't like Mondays" and popular culture.... Gang violence to Hip Hop videos, rap and popular culture. You make money by selling violent kids, dogs, gangbangers, etc.... You get culture riddled with violent kids, dogs, gangbangers trying to emulate 'art.' If you can call it that.
Pit Bull gets used for a lot of dogs that may or may not be American Pit Bull Terriers (the name of the breed).

why is it always...

Here are the numbers for homicide with a firearm:

Homicide with a Firearm

Here are the numbers for homicide, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault combined:

Violent Crime-Homicide, Rape, Robbery, and Aggravated Assault

Here are the numbers for non-fatal shootings:

Non-Fatal Shootings

Here are the numbers for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, and arson put together.

Crime-Homicide, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Larceny, Auto Theft, and Arson

Mental illness is not limited to humans. It happens in animals, too.

Dog probably votes for Bernie and gets all emotional when it sees Save the Whale videos or Pussy hats.

Sirhr
Actually pretty common with some breeds. The brain grows more than the skull. I think rotties are know for this, maybe some others.

Everybody hates pits, I hate rotties and chows. Fuck them.

It’s a nature and nurture thing. Certain types of dogs have been bred for certain traits and abilities. There are also shitty people with no business having some of these types of dogs. Can you have a well trained pit that never bites anything or anyone? Of course. Can you have a well trained pit (or any other breed) that just snaps one day? Also yes. When you throw in that most are definitely not well trained and are owned by shitbags, they get a reputation.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
why is it always...

Here are the numbers for homicide with a firearm:

Homicide with a Firearm

Here are the numbers for homicide, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault combined:

Violent Crime-Homicide, Rape, Robbery, and Aggravated Assault

Here are the numbers for non-fatal shootings:

Non-Fatal Shootings

Here are the numbers for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, and arson put together.

Crime-Homicide, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Larceny, Auto Theft, and Arson
That 13 percent that are trying to turn their lives around sure are busy!!!

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
If you believe your gun may decide on its own to kill someone then do it, then perhaps you should not own guns either.
Better start pencil/pen discipline as well. Don’t want that think fucking up your grammar and spelling.

Reactions: diverdon
I get that not all pits are bad, I've seen the good dogs and good owners as well. But you gotta wonder, how many GSPs or Vizslas have killed people? I'm betting on a number less than 1

I get that not all pits are bad, I've seen the good dogs and good owners as well. But you gotta wonder, how many GSPs or Vizslas have killed people? I'm betting on a number less than 1
I'd wager that the types of people that would own a pointer or a vizsla aren't the type to beat it half to death for peeing in the house then chain it outside under a tree...

🤷‍♂️

again, i respectfully disagree.

you can be the best owner of that dog, but if it somehow gets triggered in a situation, or decides it doesnt want to be your dog anymore (bolts, runs, 110lbs of dog chew its way to freedom), there is nothing an owner can do about it.
Just like in this story it looks like the dogs had a good life , were loved, and were trained the best a husband and wife with kids could do to their ability

I've owned a few Presa Canario dogs as well as Pits. There is always more to the story than presented. That is not to say that there are never unprovoked attacks! I'm just saying that it's more of a sensational story if it's written as this article. Nobody cares that these dogs lived their entire life on a chain in the backyard before this...

Also, why were the dogs euthanized? I love dogs, like em more than people, but if your dogs killed your kids, wouldn’t you just shoot em? I assume because the authorities went in to clean up and took the dogs?

I doubt these dogs were chained in the yard and abused. In the article it says the father posted pics of them on social media touting them as "lions of the house".

I never said otherwise!

The Nature vs Nurture argument isn't something that I ignore. Without proper training (positive role models, father figures, consequences for undesirable behavior) we humans really aren't terribly different from any other predatory animal. I know that under a different set of circumstances, a normally law-abiding citizen can decide to do something very out of the ordinary.....might be for the thrill, could be because of a perceived threat, or ???

The difference is that people (for the most part) haven't been specifically bred to have certain traits......but it could be argued that a child from a long line of aggressive/abusive/alcoholic/druggie parents may have a genetic predisposition to some behaviors.

<shrug> I don't know about people--but I do know that dogs that were selectively bred to perform specific tasks tend to do those tasks pretty well.

Agree

Also remember the news media likes to sensationalize the story when they can say "pit bulls."
When some other dog does it, they can make big clickbait headlines so it's not all over the news.
It’s sort of like the satanic panic days, but pit bulls.

The chart is referring to fatalities, not bites. The infant was dismembered by the family pet.

FWIW, Chihuahas are listed as and aggressive dog breed.

They really are aggressive as hell.
In 59 years on this planet, I've been attacked once. It was by a black and brown Mexican attack rat.
I was probably 8yrs old and the fucker came through a hole in the fence and latched on to my Achilles.
The bitch had the nerve to yell at me and tell me to leave her poor doggie alone.
WTF?

Apparently, my mom (a red-headed Irish hillbilly) took care of the situation with the owner...

Reactions: AMGtuned

So two "family dogs" decide to kill the baby and toddler and nearly the mother.

"The dogs – two pit bulls that belonged to the family – were euthanized at Memphis Animal Services Thursday."

Pitt bulls. Every. fucking. time. They're never violent until they snap and kill the kids. Why do people think these dogs are safe to have around kids? I don't get it.

I love dogs and we just rescued a cattle dog mix that some morons thought would be good to have with their young children, stuck inside and no where to run around and burn off their massive energy. But I will never understand anyone owning a pitt bull.

An avid consumer of MJ would disagree.

I doubt these dogs were chained in the yard and abused. In the article it says the father posted pics of them on social media touting them as "lions of the house".
If I take the “lions of the house” thing at face value, it would imply that one of the dogs saw itself as the alpha of the house. Any dog that doesn’t see you as the boss will cause headache.

That goes back to the owner as well.

Reactions: eca7891 and Austan
Pits are NOT just like any other dog.

I don't like pits. I've met several that were sweet, nice, and playful. I've met a couple that were well behaved and well trained. I haven't met a single one that I'd trust with my granddaThis.
This.

Ive got two on one side and three behind me. Everyone of them attacks to the fence every time. Ive told the owners in no certain terms that if they come inoto my yeard its game on. I usually have the 45 but I keep a shiny new pitchfork by the door. Most every one Ive encountered was agressive and I raise wolf dogs. My oldest and mother of 21, Nikita, I'd leave with my child anytime.

I dont think its all on the owners. these fuckers are bred to be agressive, and thate's that pack thing thats like a shark blood feeding frenzy. Avicious, but some seem to have it more strongly ingrained, and Pits are of that class.

Fuck them, Ive got a pill....and a pitchfork.

Last edited:
Its not the breed its the people that own them. Theyre the #1 breed shitbags that want to act tough get. Dogs become just like theyre owners and these weak cowardly unpredictable people teach theyre dogs that behavior. Ive been around too many pits that were excellent dogs and fiercly protective of the familys children to believe different

Its not the breed its the people that own them. Theyre the #1 breed shitbags that want to act tough get. Dogs become just like theyre owners and these weak cowardly unpredictable people teach theyre dogs that behavior. Ive been around too many pits that were excellent dogs and fiercly protective of the familys children to believe different
Ive got a pill.