• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is the AI AXMC shooting this bad.

So wait, in the other hemisphere spin drift can actually be an elevation error?

Another fucking thing that will now keep me up at night.

eta - Also OP, make 10000% sure that whatever the torque spec is, that you are using a wrench in that torque spec. So instead of like 50 ft/lbs, you aren't using 50 inch/lbs or whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
There’s hundreds of savage owners just waiting for the OP to comeback saying it was determined to be an AI issue so they can copy/paste this thread 🍿🍿🍿

The budget optics whores are on the edge of their seat as well!
0D7927F8-21FF-400A-AA3A-C6906C0C33E3.gif

I became convinced that it was the AI...shooter has no issues.

I took mine out today and shot a 5" 5 shot group @ 100 yards....now what??

Please help me...
I’m no help. I had one of mine out in 6.5 config today trying out the Berger factory 144gr load. I’m guessing I ran into the Large Firing Pin issue. These jokers averaged 2878 MV (high of 2897) with a 144gr bullet in a FACTORY 6.5 load. Check out the bottom row, far right. You can see right through it
2E82FCB5-39A0-425F-9358-47B3ADC1786C.jpeg

I’m no help. I had one of mine out in 6.5 config today trying out the Berger factory 144gr load. I’m guessing I ran into the Large Firing Pin issue. These jokers averaged 2878 MV (high of 2897) with a 144gr bullet in a FACTORY 6.5 load. Check out the bottom row, far right. You can see right through it View attachment 7563558

And super light primer strikes on the four rounds on the left! 😱

And I found this little guy (foreground) hanging out inside the bolt when I got home. On one round the trigger failed to reset. I had no clue why, never had an issue with an AI trigger before. (I was unaware of the blown primer until I was collecting brass after the session - got no indication of when it happened). I had chambered a round mid-shot string and the trigger wasn't set. Odd - so I ejected the round, completely cycling the bolt, and re-checked it. Still no trigger. Re-cycled the bolt AND safety through their full range of positions and suddenly the trigger was back to normal. I re-loaded and continued the session without further trouble. As I said, I found the blown primer after the session was over, packing up. I figured that was definitely the cause of the trigger issue, but not exactly how. I was thinking pressure issues. On the way home I was telling @tnichols about it and he guessed a piece of the primer might be inside the bolt. "Yup, bet you're right!" Got home and removed the FP assembly, and Voila!
8E51E0BB-477B-403F-8DA1-7FC12E772D0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Noob Sammich
I’m no help. I had one of mine out in 6.5 config today trying out the Berger factory 144gr load. I’m guessing I ran into the Large Firing Pin issue. These jokers averaged 2878 MV (high of 2897) with a 144gr bullet in a FACTORY 6.5 load. Check out the bottom row, far right. You can see right through it View attachment 7563558

Check your firing pin tip... Really good chance you flame cut it

Reactions: phlegethon
Check your firing pin tip... Really good chance you flame cut it
Right, but thankfully it was fine.
Oh, and a complete small-pin bolt/firing pin assembly is inbound as of this morning.

You will be g2g
Yep, I didn’t get one to begin with because it seemed most of the problems were with 6.5x47 or really hot handloads. I was only planning on (comparatively mild) factory 6.5 CM loads and a LFP 308 bolt body was available at the time so I got it. Have put maybe 100-150 rounds of Hornady 140 ELDM through it with no trouble. But dang! These Berger factory rounds are pushing a 144 faster than a lot of .260 loads. Wasn’t counting on that...

So, are we going to get an update from OP on this saga today? He was going to check things out this past weekend right?

Hi,

I think he said he was going to have the dealer shoot the rifle his yesterday.
He was online SH yesterday at 553pm.

Also it may be worth noting....
I did not shoot for over 30 years. Went to the range with a cousin and I shot his rifle and that was it.
Got self into it again.
I have been using my Bergara B14 HMR or about a year now.
Really enjoy it all.
So now will get into long range shooting.
Bought a 338 Lapua Mag and will start hand loading for that now.
Enjoy the reading here.
Thanks

This was just posted on the 12th of this month by the OP.

Sincerely,
Theis

There’s hundreds of savage owners just waiting for the OP to comeback saying it was determined to be an AI issue so they can copy/paste this thread 🍿🍿🍿

The budget optics whores are on the edge of their seat as well!
Well he definitely should have bought a Savage. I don't see AI including features like the new 30 moa canted scope base screw holes that Savage included with my buddy's new 110:

20210222_171632.jpg

Hi,

I think he said he was going to have the dealer shoot the rifle his yesterday.
He was online SH yesterday at 553pm.

Also it may be worth noting....

This was just posted on the 12th of this month by the OP.

Sincerely,
Theis
Yes, after all the fanfare, a failure to update here should be taken as a default admission to shooter error being the determination. Perhaps he will still update, but if it were me I’d have jumped on here the moment I was exonerated to tell y’all to get bent. However, I’m currently left to conclude you were right all along (yeah, I know, you usually are). But DAMN that’s some bad shooting for 50m. If any of the OP’s statements were true about his abilities, I would say it had to be the rifle. Seems there may have been some “overstatements” put forth.
Oh, and he had to learn the 2nd Rule Of The Hide (Don’t piss-off Theis) the hard way.

Yes, after all the fanfare, a failure to update here should be taken as a default admission to shooter error being the determination. Perhaps he will still update, but if it were me I’d have jumped on here the moment I was exonerated to tell y’all to get bent. However, I’m currently left to conclude you were right all along (yeah, I know, you usually are). But DAMN that’s some bad shooting for 50m. If any of the OP’s statements were true about his abilities, I would say it had to be the rifle. Seems there may have been some “overstatements” put forth.
Oh, and he had to learn the 2nd Rule Of The Hide (Don’t piss-off Theis) the hard way.
He only learned the 2nd rule of the Hide half way at best. That was only maybe half tickled @THEIS.

I followed this entire thread waiting for the ending and....it’s like a really suspenseful thriller cut off at the last ten minutes. Damn. Still can’t figure out how anyone can shoot that bad at 50m....

Reactions: 308pirate
I followed this entire thread waiting for the ending and....it’s like a really suspenseful thriller cut off at the last ten minutes. Damn. Still can’t figure out how anyone can shoot that bad at 50m....
Spend some time at a public range. Those are good groupings on a weekend 😂

How did this thread get this long? After reading that the scope moved the first time he shot it, it should have ended on the first page.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Just wondering let’s say the guy can shoot just a little....

can handloads be that bad?

seems like/I didn’t see him try factory Ammo at all.

Just wondering let’s say the guy can shoot just a little....

can handloads be that bad?

seems like/I didn’t see him try factory Ammo at all.

Something this bad could be right down to incorrect bullet/ammo etc.

I have a weird feeling it turns out to be a amateur hour issue and the OP never comes back to give us the reason

He was back on here a couple hours ago and still isn’t replying to his thread

OP if your out there, we would really appreciate the update

Adding..

why is it most people never seem to try factory match Ammo if there is a accuracy issue?

1. to cheap to buy a box

Or

2. Over confident in their loading ability (which 90% of reloaders willfully acknowledge that their pet loads don’t shoot as well as factory...which is embarrassing)

open to other theories as well..

Hi,

He mentioned those groups shown were with Winchester ballistic tip ammo in post #8, lol.

In all honestly I hope it is his rifle or at least some combination of him and the rifle but the difference in hopes and reality can be a cruel monster.

Sincerely,
Theis

You guys are just mad because a 12 moa shooter owns a AI. The best part of this thread is theis actually taking time to search all his past posts to prove his point
Hi,

Because "details" and fundamentals operate in same part of the brain....well that is what my brain doctor says anyway to make me feel better about my OCD issues.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Gil P.
On a more serious note...

I have the exact same rifle...even the color. I shot an AI AT for a few years before buying it. Shot 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges. I was pretty good. Could hit 4" gongs at 500 yards most of the time.

I bought the AXMC in 338 LM and the first 5 times I shot it, my groups at 100 yards were TERRIBLE. Not as bad as the OPs but in comparison to the groups out of my AT, they sucked. After the third time, I actually brought the AT with me and shot it. Shot it well. I bought this rifle from another member here. It was unfired. All I could think was HOLY SHIT....I got a lemon.

I posted a similar thread here and was given the same advice that @THEIS suggested. I really did not appreciate being told I was probably flinching. Well I had my wife video me. I was prone and she sat on the top of an adjacent bench and videoed me shooting it.....I was flinching. Sometimes I was slapping the trigger and sometimes I would move just enough to allow the butt to move which gave me the vertical stringing that I see with your groups. The issue was that my flinch manifested itself into different errors that made the groups appear very bad. It would have been easier to diagnose if my method of flinching was due to making the same error repetitively. In my case there were a few errors that the flinch would cause and they were random.

After I FOCUSED and shot the rifle a few times, I solved the issue and can now shoot it as well if not better than the AT.

Moral---it generally is an absence of fundamentals

YMMV
I agree.
the problem is that others (that can shoot well(competition well)) shot the same pattern that I did with my rifle.
Testing loads now so will see

Adding..

why is it most people never seem to try factory match Ammo if there is a accuracy issue?

1. to cheap to buy a box

Or

2. Over confident in their loading ability (which 90% of reloaders willfully acknowledge that their pet loads don’t shoot as well as factory...which is embarrassing)

open to other theories as well..
90% of shooters on sites like snipershide and accurateshooter? I think most of us help each other out enough that we can make some "pretty dang good ammo".

One time I thought I sucked at shooting all of the sudden. I had just switched cartridges and had a brain fart concerning which bushing to use in my die. It turns out I had zero neck tension. My groups grew to about an inch at 100 yards. Glad I fixed the problem, I was beginning to question my life.

I can get groups on my best days in the .3s and .4s. Average days around the .7s. These days I have no groups since I have no primers.

Welcome to AI accuracy.
Hi,

He mentioned those groups shown were with Winchester ballistic tip ammo in post #8, lol.

In all honestly I hope it is his rifle or at least some combination of him and the rifle but the difference in hopes and reality can be a cruel monster.

Sincerely,
Theis
post 8
ok.
for the record i tried a few different rounds.
the Winchester ballistic were the worst

Man. Those dark earth pale brown AI’s are garbage. So glad I didn’t get one. #elitesandmasterrace

Last edited:
post 8
ok.
for the record i tried a few different rounds.
the Winchester ballistic were the worst
Good on you for coming back to the thread at least. We all really would like to hear your findings though... don't get too concerned with what folks say in threads, just man up and admit you got a little defensive (We have ALL done that before I'm absolutely sure), and move on. It's all good man. But we want to know the truth of this diabolical situation...