• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is the AI AXMC shooting this bad.

send it back for free or chop up a 300 dollar hand guard? Choice is clearly obvious guys

Stop wasting your time with 285-300g projectiles, your rifle clearly doesn't like them. I tried 285ELDs in my AX338 and they shot like shit (almost 1.5-2" at 100m).

Factory 250g Swiss RUAG, my AX338 does this all day, every day...
View attachment 7564973
View attachment 7564974
With bottom of the barrel S&B 250 grain ammo

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-17 18:30:12.641838.PNG

Not saying it does this every time but it is pretty damn close. If I use high end Bergers with 250 grain scenarios, I have shot 0.3 MOA at 300 yards on more than a couple of occasions. I don't reload.

Good luck OP...

I'm guilty of a fair bit of bubba smithing on some firearms, but taking a saw to an AI just feels so damn wrong.

Also, I definitely don't sell any of my bubbas....

I've had mine loosen before, too. But you can feel it "clunk" when you pick it up, even if they're just a little loose. I'm not sure how much it affected accuracy as I wasn't noticing a problem, but I wasn't shooting for groups either. It sure can't help though!

Then yesterday, this thread was on my mind when I was shooting one of mine, and it reminded me to check them again. They were tight, but I found a little play in the key slot screws that hold the Pic rail section for the bipod. That gun has an Elite Iron bipod and the mount covers up the front rail screw. Of course I had the wrench for the key slot screws (in the stock), but for some reason I didn't have the wrench that fits the bipod screws, so I couldn't remove it to access the front rail screw. The bipod had a little wiggle in it because the rail itself was wiggling in the slots. I just tightened the rear rail screw that I could access, and carried on without issue. I found it before I started shooting, and I haven't noticed an accuracy issue prior, so I don't know if there was a measurable effect on accuracy. When I got home I got the right wrench and removed the bipod. Rear rail screw was already starting to loosen up again because the front screw was still loose obviously. I grabbed the manual and looked for a key slot screw torque value but couldn't find one. I tightened them up by feel as much as I thought I safely could and re-installed the bipod.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a published torque value for those keyslot screws?
I want to add that parts can be enough loose to move around and still not make a "clunk".

I noticed this when my rimfire rifle was benched and I zoomed on the scope. I saw the image wiggling as I watched through the scope. But my hand could not feel any movement of parts. I could have bet 500 that the part was not loose, but there it was. I had not even noticed weird grouping, in use it probably settled and then stayed pretty much still.

Since that, I have of course always torqued every screw until I hear a loud SNAP.

I want to add that parts can be enough loose to move around and still not make a "clunk".

I noticed this when my rimfire rifle was benched and I zoomed on the scope. I saw the image wiggling as I watched through the scope. But my hand could not feel any movement of parts. I could have bet 500 that the part was not loose, but there it was. I had not even noticed weird grouping, in use it probably settled and then stayed pretty much still.

Since that, I have of course always torqued every screw until I hear a loud SNAP.
Ok will go this Saturday to the range. Will swap over scope ( scope and rings together as one piece). While scope off will check.
Do you thing I should just tighten or loosen and then tighten. Is that part bonded on the axmc.??

Stop wasting your time with 285-300g projectiles, your rifle clearly doesn't like them. I tried 285ELDs in my AX338 and they shot like shit (almost 1.5-2" at 100m).

Factory 250g Swiss RUAG, my AX338 does this all day, every day...
View attachment 7564973
View attachment 7564974
Thanks rub it in.
It is great to see.
You are running fast. I was getting around 2680 speeds.
Ok will try and find them. It can not hurt. Thanks.

You guys are just mad because a 12 moa shooter owns a AI. The best part of this thread is theis actually taking time to search all his past posts to prove his point
Thats pretty typical here..theis is quick about it but others will go digging too.

You guys are just mad because a 12 moa shooter owns a AI. The best part of this thread is theis actually taking time to search all his past posts to prove his point
I think the “guys” are mad because we all know he 12moa shooter but he’s blaming everything else under the sun 😇

Stop with the “your rifle doesn’t like xyz bullet” or other load stuff.

It’s probably almost impossible that it’s strictly shooter error or load error.

I don’t think one could actually do this via either without purposely trying.

I once shot the cheapest browning x bolt in 7mm rem mag you could buy. I was helping a friend sight in his hunting rifle.

That rifle made me it's bitch shooting 180 Bergers at 2930 fps. I probably had a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards. Never again. I think I shot 15 rounds and Id had enough. Kudos to you guys shooting those 338 Lapua Mags.

I once shot the cheapest browning x bolt in 7mm rem mag you could buy. I was helping a friend sight in his hunting rifle.

That rifle made me it's bitch shooting 180 Bergers at 2930 fps. I probably had a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards. Never again. I think I shot 15 rounds and Id had enough. Kudos to you guys shooting those 338 Lapua Mags.
To be fair those cheating bastards all use muzzle breaks. 7mm Mag/300 Win mag is about the most you can tolerate w/o one.

Kudos to you guys shooting those 338 Lapua Mags
Eh. There is a lot of movement so you have to manage recoil properly to shoot well, but honestly that 7 Mag hunting rifle you were shooting (typically light, and no brake) was probably a lot more punishing and challenging. A heavy, braked 338 is more of a heavy shove with a longer impulse spread out over more time (milliseconds), vs. the swift, sharp punch you probably experienced.

Reactions: Baron23
Eh. There is a lot of movement so you have to manage recoil properly to shoot well, but honestly that 7 Mag hunting rifle you were shooting (typically light, and no brake) was probably a lot more punishing and challenging. A heavy, braked 338 is more of a heavy shove with a longer impulse spread out over more time (milliseconds), vs. the swift, sharp punch you probably experienced.

Yeah it had a pencil barrel and cheap plastic stock.

For instance, a 300 Weatherby Magnum in their hunting rifle is not such a pleasant experience.

Reactions: Criver600
Stop with the “your rifle doesn’t like xyz bullet” or other load stuff.

It’s probably almost impossible that it’s strictly shooter error or load error.

I don’t think one could actually do this via either without purposely trying.
yep

With bottom of the barrel S&B 250 grain ammo

View attachment 7565153

Not saying it does this every time but it is pretty damn close. If I use high end Bergers with 250 grain scenarios, I have shot 0.3 MOA at 300 yards on more than a couple of occasions. I don't reload.

Good luck OP...
I would be happy if it could do 2 moa with factory.
I would expect it to do sub moa with good factory rounds.

but 50 meters and you see what it did.
At the test last week it did get better.
they said it did under .75 moa ( That was 3 shots just three shots)
To me you would need to shoot 3 rounds 3 times at least to say it shoots sub moa group.

thank will let you know how it goes.

I would be happy if it could do 2 moa with factory.
I would expect it to do sub moa with good factory rounds.

but 50 meters and you see what it did.
At the test last week it did get better.
they said it did under .75 moa ( That was 3 shots just three shots)
To me you would need to shoot 3 rounds 3 times at least to say it shoots sub moa group.

thank will let you know how it goes.
I wish I were there to give it a go. It is highly strange. I have shot mine sub MOA out to 600 yards with a variety of factory ammo. Some does work better than others but it is never dramatically different. I don't reload so I have no choice but to characterize a bunch of factory ammo. My experience is that any cartridge using over a 285 grain bullet is to be avoided. I think 300 grain bullets are too heavy for this caliber. 90% of my shooting uses ammo with a 250 grain slug and the results always put a smile on my face.

Due to COVID, I haven't traveled to a longer range as the nearest is 3.5 hours away. I would not anticipate any difference though aside from my own limitations

Reactions: FF05 and brianf
Thanks rub it in.
It is great to see.
You are running fast. I was getting around 2680 speeds.
Ok will try and find them. It can not hurt. Thanks.
Not rubbing anything in.
And that's not running fast, that is the normal expected factory 250g speed.

Try listening to AI owners who have 338LMs and experience.
XYZ bullets are very relevant. I could never get the 285s (factory or handloads) to shoot. At best they were 1.5" at 100m, and it had nothing to do with the rifle or my shooting ability (got a few Army International Medals).
Combine a projectile that doesn't shoot well with an inexperienced shooter and you have terrible groups.
FYI our Military along with many others use 250g projectiles in their 338LM Sniper Rifles. Do the math, slow high BC doesn't equal better.
As for my AIs 'Pet' handload I'm shooting 250g SMKs at 2985fps with an SD of 3.
20200111_182129.jpg

Now -.338 bullet diameter...
And that's shooting prone with a bipod that does NOT hop.

Last edited:
Can you get factory Lapua 250gr Scenar .338LM ammo there in Australia to try out?
You'd only need a box or two.

Reactions: wolfy
Not rubbing anything in.

XYZ bullets are very relevant. I could never get the 285s (factory or handloads) to shoot. At best they were 1.5" at 100m, and it had nothing to do with the rifle or my shooting ability (got a few Army International Medals).
Combine a projectile that doesn't shoot well with an inexperienced shooter and you have terrible groups.
FYI our Military along with many others use 250g projectiles in their 338LM Sniper Rifles. Do the math, slow high BC doesn't equal better.
View attachment 7567849
Ok getting so light projectiles 250grain and 265 that I have.
Did some 300 grain loads as per the previous test last Sunday.
This what it shot now
To take the shooter out of the equation three of us are shooting it. Two are competition shooters.
I want to thank Harveyn for coming out and having a try and helping.
This time it shot a lot better.
The only thing that has been changed has been the barrel taken off and then screwed back on.
The muzzle break has been taken off and on.
It has now shot more than 120 rounds.
20210228_100010.jpg

From the left:
Second row second box and 3rd are with norma 300 grain. I shot the second box that was my fault must have pulled the last shot.
The fourth row second box and 3rd box are my loads of 300 grain Sierra. I shot the 3rd box.
The 2 boxs at the bottom right are 3 shots each of the 265 grain projectil (my load).
Anyway it is shooting realy better than before.
We all have no idea why it is shooting this way now.
The only thing is maybe the barrel cleaned out or fitted correctly with the refit.
For now that is it.
Oh shot the gong at 512 meters. Did 5 shots and got 5 hits ( they said the gong is 6inches i will go next week and measure it ).
Waiting for some factory ammo 250grain.

I wish I were there to give it a go. It is highly strange. I have shot mine sub MOA out to 600 yards with a variety of factory ammo. Some does work better than others but it is never dramatically different. I don't reload so I have no choice but to characterize a bunch of factory ammo. My experience is that any cartridge using over a 285 grain bullet is to be avoided. I think 300 grain bullets are too heavy for this caliber. 90% of my shooting uses ammo with a 250 grain slug and the results always put a smile on my face.

Due to COVID, I haven't traveled to a longer range as the nearest is 3.5 hours away. I would not anticipate any difference though aside from my own limitations
Yep would be good.
I am starting to think it might have been me. But it did the same to another shooter. But it has been getting better.
Now it shoots better.
I give up I have no idea.
I got 5 shots at the 6 inch gong at 512 meters so that is ok.
Will try lighter projectiles too.
I looked at the crown again and that has smoothed out a lot.
I have no idea but will check the next 100 rounds. It is much better now.
Thanks for the suggestions. A lot of the boys recommend going lighter and I will go for the lighter.
Are you in VIC?

Can you get factory Lapua 250gr Scenar .338LM ammo there in Australia to try out?
You'd only need a box or two.
The ammo here is like getting the lotto.
Will check and try.
I did like the way the 265 were grouping. Those groups were rushed groups too.

If you have comp shooters also, it sounds like to me there was "something " in the barrel, othe crown, ect... something of that nature. What's the size of those boxes?

Just get some time behind the butt.
It's all learning, which is part of the fun.
Once you've found a load that works for you, keep it.
Sadly, too many people want to swing their cocks around, instead of help.
That's what happens when Individuals forget they were actually part of Teams.

Must be amazing when a bloke can fly the plane, and fall out the back at the same time.
🙄

Reactions: wolfy and Baron23
Yep would be good.
I am starting to think it might have been me. But it did the same to another shooter. But it has been getting better.
Now it shoots better.
I give up I have no idea.
I got 5 shots at the 6 inch gong at 512 meters so that is ok.
Will try lighter projectiles too.
I looked at the crown again and that has smoothed out a lot.
I have no idea but will check the next 100 rounds. It is much better now.
Thanks for the suggestions. A lot of the boys recommend going lighter and I will go for the lighter.
Are you in VIC?
VIC?

Just get some time behind the butt.
It's all learning, which is part of the fun.
Once you've found a load that works for you, keep it.
Sadly, too many people want to swing their cocks around, instead of help.
That's what happens when Individuals forget they were actually part of Teams.

Must be amazing when a bloke can fly the plane, and fall out the back at the same time.
🙄
Will do thanks.

Not rubbing anything in.

View attachment 7567849
Lol ok your bipod does not hop. That's because you know how to load lol.
Have some 265grain nosler long range that I will try this weekend.
See how that goes.
Will buy some 250grain . Will look for the smk
Thanks

I don’t own an AI but this site has a wealth of information, Frank did a video on bipod hop. It is worth looking up along with all of his videos, I will look up his videos when I am having a problem and if I practice what he preaches my problems go away. Hope you get your rifle to shooting.

Lol ok your bipod does not hop. That's because you know how to load lol.
Have some 265grain nosler long range that I will try this weekend.
See how that goes.
Will buy some 250grain . Will look for the smk
Thanks
All this and you STILL haven't posted a video of how you are attempting to shoot this thing, not even a photo of how you address the rifle.

JFC, bipods do NOT hop.
If you are hopping your bipod (don't know how to load it) then the last thing you should be doing is burning cash behind a .338, you will learn nothing and continue shooting 5+inch groups at 50m.

Get your head out of your ass, get a shitbox .223 savage, get some training, work on your fundamentals, get proficient and then MAYBE think about having another go at your AI.

Magnum cartridges and precision rifles are NOT for motherfuckers who still hop their bipods.....

Sorry some one asked the size of the squares
I just measured them now
They are 55mm squares.
The circles are 3 inch diameter and the square top one in the circle is one inch (4 smaller squares one).

All this and you STILL haven't posted a video of how you are attempting to shoot this thing, not even a photo of how you address the rifle.

JFC, bipods do NOT hop.
If you are hopping your bipod (don't know how to load it) then the last thing you should be doing is burning cash behind a .338, you will learn nothing and continue shooting 5+inch groups at 50m.

Get your head out of your ass, get a shitbox .223 savage, get some training, work on your fundamentals, get proficient and then MAYBE think about having another go at your AI.

Magnum cartridges and precision rifles are NOT for motherfuckers who still hop their
Ok just try and follow. The gun shot much better now.
I shot the same as the competition guys do.
I am having a gunsmith have a look at it as well.
I don't have my head up my arse.
I might have a lot of issues to deal with on it but definitely not up my arse.
As for videos of me shooting you will be the last to see one.
You need to be nice. Or don't waste your time with me.
I hope I don't offend the others that have been a lot of help.
A lot of points to look at.
Some of you here know that this gun was shot by one of the best shooters in Aus when we tested on the Sunday test. It shot 2moa. That is after the checking and taking the barrel of and cleaning the contact area.
The load development that Luke did got it down to under .75 moa.
As it was getting shot it was getting better.
Which makes me believe it might have been the nip on the barrel which is now smoothing out.
That's why getting it check by gunsmith just to confirm.
Also very good points the guys that asked to check 250 grain projectiles. Have done the 300 smk. So will try the lighter grain.
Will be testing this Friday and then will post and end this post.

Reactions: Slides
the beatings will continue until morale improves
Dont let them get to you wolfy! Stay the course. They will like you in the end. Read this:

They trying to get you to go down this road, but you already have show some class. Dont take the bait.

Sorry for delay.
it was the barrel.
I have been in contact with UK AI and send photos and so on.
The nip on the crown (I had posted the picture here i think) was the issue.
Tried with a different barrel and all very good. lol.
the AI guys were great. they send all info.
So my action serial corresponds to the barrel serial as per AI UK. AI test all rifle before they leave the factory.
The test is two rounds of 5 shots group using of Lapua 250 grain Factory ammo.
The said that my rifle shot 28 and 29 mm groups (group edge to edge so that would make it around the 20mm group center with cold shot).
Once the run in process as per manual was done the group should improve a lot. That is what they said.
They do not guarantee MOA and so on, as they told me but the rifles will not leave the factory unless it has shot MOA and under.
They did say that the nip on the crown was not them. That would effect the group. (We knew that anyway)
they ship the barrel with the muzzle fitted and they have glued packaging (Had to look that up lol). Secured on a pallet.

Had a gunsmith look at it too.
So
Can fix the crown by turning /cutting it off or as he said just shoot, it will polish out after a few thousand rounds. He did laugh after the comment.
He did do a polish on that nip and has come much better. Tested at 504 meters with my loads 300grain sierra matchking running around the 2670fps.
I got a 111mm group so that is not too bad. it was windy ( not that the wind would do too much at that distance) and i did not really try hard.
Waiting for the Lapua factory rounds to see how it shoots them (AI recommends the Lapua factory rounds).
Now will organize to get another barrel and that is it.
I want to thank you all (even the ones that gave me a hard time).
So it was the barrel after all.
Must have been hit hard at some point.

Sorry for delay.
it was the barrel.
I have been in contact with UK AI and send photos and so on.
The nip on the crown (I had posted the picture here i think) was the issue.
Tried with a different barrel and all very good. lol.
the AI guys were great. they send all info.
So my action serial corresponds to the barrel serial as per AI UK. AI test all rifle before they leave the factory.
The test is two rounds of 5 shots group using of Lapua 250 grain Factory ammo.
The said that my rifle shot 28 and 29 mm groups (group edge to edge so that would make it around the 20mm group center with cold shot).
Once the run in process as per manual was done the group should improve a lot. That is what they said.
They do not guarantee MOA and so on, as they told me but the rifles will not leave the factory unless it has shot MOA and under.
They did say that the nip on the crown was not them. That would effect the group. (We knew that anyway)
they ship the barrel with the muzzle fitted and they have glued packaging (Had to look that up lol). Secured on a pallet.

Had a gunsmith look at it too.
So
Can fix the crown by turning /cutting it off or as he said just shoot, it will polish out after a few thousand rounds. He did laugh after the comment.
He did do a polish on that nip and has come much better. Tested at 504 meters with my loads 300grain sierra matchking running around the 2670fps.
I got a 111mm group so that is not too bad. it was windy ( not that the wind would do too much at that distance) and i did not really try hard.
Waiting for the Lapua factory rounds to see how it shoots them (AI recommends the Lapua factory rounds).
Now will organize to get another barrel and that is it.
I want to thank you all (even the ones that gave me a hard time).
So it was the barrel after all.
Must have been hit hard at some point.

Well that sucks, and AI said it wasn't them? Aren't the rifles shipped with the brakes attached? I guess now you have time to dry fire a bunch while you wait.

I hope you can update us once the barrel has been repaired or replaced.

The fact that you're ignoring my questions tells me all I need to know

You suck and are blaming the
Well that sucks, and AI said it wasn't them? Aren't the rifles shipped with the brakes attached? I guess now you have time to dry fire a bunch while you wait.

I hope you can update us once the barrel has been repaired or replaced.
AI were very good for me anyway. They responded with in two days. Then had a few emails back and forward. The muzzle break are on. The damage was done here in Aus. The gunsmith (realy good ) had a look and polished the crown a bit has made it shout the 6 inch gong at 507 meters with no problem. With my reloads/handloads thought. So it was the barrel

AI informed that they ship the barrels with muzzle breaks on.
They also secure their pallets.
Anyway it is good to know it is not my shooting.
You all have great one. Thanks to all for suggestions quite a few did say barrel.
It was (is the crown). The dint on the crown was the issue.
You all stay safe, shoot well.

Last edited: