• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Will a suppressor with 3/4"x28 thread work on....

CanPopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Houston, TX
a rifle whose barrel is threaded 3/4"x24?

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a DTA Covert rifle but I wanted to make sure that it was compatible with my 3/4"x28 tpi thread titanium suppressor.

The thread on the DTA's are 3/4"x24 and Mike at DTA says he doesn't see why my suppressor won't work on his rifles. I'd like the board's second opinion just to be sure before I place an order.

Your thoughts and explanations?

Re: Will a suppressor with 3/4"x28 thread work on....

NO it will not work, because they are two different thread patterns. 3/4x24 has 24 threads per inch and 3/4x28 has 28 threads per inch. I had a barrel threaded 5/8x24 by "reputable" smith on here and my TBAC 30P-1 (5/8x24) would not thread on it so I had to have the end of the barrel cutoff and rethreaded.

No. The thread pitches are incongruous.

Kinda like putting a hand with six fingers on it into a glove that's made for five fingers.

Try it and you'll completely screw up the works, and, as wfjames22 mentions above, you'll have to have your barrel cut off and re-threaded.

As mentioned above, it won't work, and will need to be re-threaded.

I use a DTA, shooting .308, and had my DTA 3/4" threads (338 can) turned down to the standard 5/8 to use my TBAC P1 on it. Worked great.

Be sure your smith knows what the hell they are doing. I took the specs and diagram from TBAC's website into a smith to have a barrel threaded. He looked at the print, cursed, said they didn't know what they were doing, and didn't know how to draw prints or threads. He said if I brought the can in, he could use it to make sure the threads matched...

Now, I do enough machine work to know how what classes of threads are, and how they are specified. But I know my limits, and threading for suppressors needs to be done right.

I took my barrel, my TBAC print, and found a new smith before I had to worry about someone who didn't understand classes of threads. Also, make sure they use gauges, not the can. Smith shouldn't need the can, and shouldn't have it anyway, it's your responsibility...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He said if I brought the can in, he could use it to make sure the threads matched...
</div></div>
Most of our "I/my gunsmith got my can stuck" stories start this way.