• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing will this action work or not?

k80kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Southeast Michigan
I have a Remington 700 action from a LTR 308. I am looking at building it up as a 7mm WSM or a 300 WSM. I know I would have to get a new bolt but will the action work or are the magnum actions heavier and wider then the standard calibers?

Re: will this action work or not?

They are the same action other than the bolt face, your action will work. You can either get a new bolt, or have the boltface on the current bolt turned out, this will mean a sako or M16 style extractor installed as well.

DD

best thing to do is sell the LTR barreled action. Then buy a Rem 700 270wsm or 7wsm or 300wsm

For my 7wsm build I used a Rem 700 sps in 270wsm. Had the gunsmith scrap the barrel and completely true up the action.
7wsm.jpg

This is a good point, I forgot that the feed rails might be different on the WSM action, and they may need to be trimmed in a .308 size action to feed the fat case better. It is a good idea to start with the right platform because it is already taken care of, but it can be done from a standard action.

Dave

since you already have the action in hand then i'd go ahead and build on that , the added cost to have the rails opened up realy isin't gonna be that big of an issue as opposed to the hassel of selling you old gun and buying a new one.
If your gonna sell the thing you may as well buy a custom action to replace it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since you already have the action in hand then i'd go ahead and build on that , the added cost to have the rails opened up realy isin't gonna be that big of an issue as opposed to the hassel of selling you old gun and buying a new one.
If your gonna sell the thing you may as well buy a custom action to replace it</div></div>

An LTR will sell for $800 easy. He can buy a sps wsm for around $400. That is $400 that can go towards the build.