• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Win 70 in 7mm WSM

Justin.Burdette

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
I recently bought a stock Model 70 from my brother for $600 and was thinking of turning it into a project gun Im new to the gun building thing and was wondering where would be a good place to start ie stock, trigger, barrel already has great glass so i know i dont need to change that thanks for your input

Re: Win 70 in 7mm WSM

stock... it will change the whole feel of the rifle.... and if your going to do this one piece at a time you want to go with the stock.. work from the bottom up... in order stock trigger barrel scope. enjoy

thanks for the info do you know if Mcmillan makes stocks for winchester or can i get an AICS

Thanks alot probally gonna post before and after pics as soon as i get home from Afghanistan in a few weeks

Trip it and roll 7 Whizzum Coyote and cut to the chase. They are throated exceptionally well,have the COAL latitude(3" +) to kiss a 162 in the sweet spot and at least a guy has some ergonomic moves available a laminate handle,beings they shape easily. As an aside,they're of enough mass to really soften recoil and chasing trace/splash is a breeze.

I fucking hate Winchesters,but the 'Yote is a whole helluva lotta rifle for the jingle.

Only the Window Lickers don't enjoy and it never ain't not entertaining,to sort them out.(grin)

Yeah I was thinkin a Mac A5 but I don't know what trigger gonna keep the stock barrel for a while I think

First thing I do with my Model 70's is bed them into a new stock. After that I go and shoot them
laugh.gif

Stock: McMillan, Manners, H&S Precision (I think XLR Industries inlets for the Winchester also)

Trigger: The factory trigger is great but if you insist on something else Timney, Jewell, Jard & Rifle Basix all make a replacement.

And for a gunsmith check out what Chad Dixon can do with a Model 70...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2287936#Post2287936

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Final assembly:

I like it when stuff just works. The parts showed up and went together in less than half an hour. Just assemble and be done with it. No drama or "drain bammage."

Looks pretty good I think.

Enjoy,

C

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0011-3.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

</div></div>

+1 on keeping the stock barrel for now. The barrel will go south faster than a .308 or .260, so by the time you have gotten comfortable with it, you may be needing a new barrel.

A word of advice: figure out what replacement barrel you are going to want now and order the stock you want with the barrel channel cut for the next barrel, not the one you currently have. It is not an issue if you think you will stick with the same profile, but a light Palma is the slimmest barrel I'd want on a WSM.

A barrel's interior dimensions,are far more important than it's exterior dimensions and most are in a hurry to fuck up a rifle,by stabbing too much contour upon it. Build for balance/handling and be assured that the rest will fall in place.

Noone who asks questions like these,is going to "shoot out" any barrel and is simply Imagining aloud. One will discern far more from actually shooting,than they will Day Dreaming about doing same and trigger time is what matters most.

The Model of the particular rifle wasn't denoted,though it's a given that it will certainly perform beyond the owner's abilities. Bed it,tweak the trigger,feed it '22 and some good bullets and you are there. Good base/rings/glass is paramount and will always bear fruit.

The quicker one focuses on the shit that matters,the better. Laze it,dope it,dump it...none of this shit is hard.

thanks for all the info ive got one more question is it possible to put a detachable box mag on on the model 70 action without a major rework

Thanks for the info dann i actually just found that site from midway just wondering if a 7mm WSM will fit in the .308 aics mag

Damn - forgot you were running WSM - if memory serves, you will have to have the AW mag and Jeff's DBM unit is for the AI.

Assuming this is the short M70 WSM action, it is the same as the FN SPR WSM actions. CDNN had the last batch of actions from the New Haven plant before they closed shop (only to re-open in SC). The Factory FN DBM should work, but I believe it only holds three in WSM and four in standard size.

Also, the FN plant in SC is making M70's again so they might have the parts.

You might want to see if Jeff could make a run of bottom metal for the AW mags - he would probably need some minimum number to make it feasible though.

Basically though, a decent stock, some good glass and trigger time will do you right.

Just got the email from Jeff at CDI he says the AI mags will work fine for 7mm WSM they just need a little tweek thanks for the heads up though DMann

treebasher is over their Private Topic limit, i wanted to ask you something about an old post if you dont mind