• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win. X22LRPP (230 Yd Expansion Through 2x2 Pine)

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Here is a couple pictures of a Winchester XL22LRPP bullet I recovered from the back side of my 2x2 Pine leg brace on my metal gong hanger that was set at 230 yards.

The 40 grain hollow point "Power Point" was hanging out the back side of the wood by a thread. Even when you miss your mark you can still learn things about the round you're shooting, sometimes. I wasn't aiming for the wood brace, but it sure gives a person an idea of the expansion of these 40 grain power point hollow points.

The pine 2x2 actually measures 1 5/8 x 1 5/8... Still, this is some wicked penetration and expansion I think. Especially from 230 yards. A mistake shot of course.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/100_0390.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/100_0389.jpg

Re: Win. X22LRPP (230 Yd Expansion Through 2x2 Pine)

That would hurt! I wonder how fast it was traveling at 230yds>

Probably in the 920 - 930 fps range? It really expanded out and seems to have kept its mass. The widest expansion is right at 1/2" while the narrowest "middle measurement" measures 5/16" from what I can tell.

I wonder what it would do on Oak? I was just lucky to recover this bullet from a bad shot.

These bullets are hard on groundhogs at that velocity out of my Buckmark .
I'm at 9 for the year so far.

What rifle did you use, and what does the round advertise as muzzle velocity? Those are great pics, if would have been even better with a pic of it sticking out of the wood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What rifle did you use, and what does the round advertise as muzzle velocity? Those are great pics, if would have been even better with a pic of it sticking out of the wood. </div></div>

I was using my Marlin 795 with 3-9x32 Bushnell scope when it took place. The X22LRPP is advertised as 1280 fps. I'll post a picture of the exit hole, I might even be able to lay the bullet back in close to the way it was sticking out of the wood.

Also, let me add... I have had no misfires or jams at all with this stuff in my Marlin 795 or Lakefield MKI single shot rifles. With my Savage Mark II FVT, I can not get this round to load freely into the magazine's as it is just a smidget longer in the nose then other .22 rounds I've shot. It's just long enough to jam up the magazine's while trying to load a second round in them. However, the Lakefield and Marlin - no problems at all.

This is the best picture I'm able to get with my camera but it shows the exit hole above the bullet. Note at the top left of the exit hole how it aligns with the top left of the bullet. The bullet was lined up in this hole - just setting there held only by a tiny sliver of wood.

100_0395.jpg

The Powerpoint .22 LR has been one of the most accurate rounds I've shot out of a variety of pistols and rifles. It's my preferred .22 round.

The PP is my prefered round for smacking squirrels, trauma is like a stinger at about 1/2 price and with better accuracy. I get great feeding in both my 10-22 and Rem581.

It seems to be one of the few HP out there that will expand on baby squirrels.
smile.gif