• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Winchester Action AICS Mags

Messmaker

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Can someone please help me out trying to find the dimensions for milling the underside of the action to allow aics mags to work for a winchester model 70 post 64 CRF SA.

Thanks

The way I did it was to install the DBM, then scribe the bottom of the receiver through the magwell.

This gives you a guide to mill.

Depth of the cut was a bit of trial and error, if you go too deep, the magazine will interfere with the bolt if you push up on it. I stuck a bore guide in the receiver and tested with a magazine till it was right.

Thanks guys Im looking to do this on my own and not have it done somewhere. I know LRI and GAP do fantastic work but I am a hobbyist machinist/gunsmith and would like to do it all myself. I feel kind of weird asking someone that does it for a living for there info without purchasing something. If Chad from LRI posts it here thats different, at least to me.

Just a question, but why not run the FN factory DBM kit and mags? I ask because I have one that’s due to be built soon by Moon and went that route (especially since Jeff at CDI passed and you can’t get his version of the FN bottom metal that takes the AI mags/his work on the action to take the AI mags).

Just a question, but why not run the FN factory DBM kit and mags? I ask because I have one that’s due to be built soon by Moon and went that route (especially since Jeff at CDI passed and you can’t get his version of the FN bottom metal that takes the AI mags/his work on the action to take the AI mags).
I have half dozen or more rifles that run the aics bottom metal and I like to not have to use a different mag. I also think that AI mags are a superior magazine to the FN dbm (at least most manufactures of them). I have an spr now that will eventually be AI bottom metal at some point.

Pics from old CDI site.

fn-win%20mag%20well%201.jpg
fn-win%20mag%20well%202.jpg

This is straight from Jeff at cdi View attachment 7255750

@Geno C. if you have the full .pdf, would you be willing to share it? I have an FNH action that I eventually want to get a CDI DBM for (I realize I’ll have to track it down on the used market at this point), and will need this info to get the action modified correctly. I’d love to have as much info as I can so it‘s done right!

@Geno C. if you have the full .pdf, would you be willing to share it? I have an FNH action that I eventually want to get a CDI DBM for (I realize I’ll have to track it down on the used market at this point), and will need this info to get the action modified correctly. I’d love to have as much info as I can so it‘s done right!
Pm me your email and I’ll forward it to you

Reactions: Basher
Has anybody been able to use the fn kit with 300wsm?

Email sent to a few guys. For any else; he told me to cut .230” deep and make it just wide enough to clear the mag. I had him do one and also had Lee Gardner done one and did another myself. It’s pretty easy.

Reactions: Basher
There might not be any cdi right now but if we got an order together, maybe xlr would do another run
947D78DD-C801-4727-B7D2-80CD8E4CF613.jpeg

I just dug this pic up that helps some but doesn’t give a depth.

Attachments

• 1582430364896.jpeg
    1582430364896.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Geno C.