• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester M70

Maybe yall way more mathematically smarter than me to use the below.

20210223_190933.jpg

So, that gives you in the neighborhood of 4 moa (approximately at 100) in the sight itself bc those old clicks arent perfect. So.......

With a tall target.... shoot the gun. As sighted in now. But, count the moa down to the stop and see how many minutes you are playing with and need on the mount height, to get your desired setting on the sight for the stop.

Run the sight to the bottom and shoot it on the tall target and see what u playin with on the needed moa.

You may end up with the lowest mount and the lowest lyman front to get as close as you can.
My 56 had this same issue. Still not where I can do pics.

Best to you brother.

So, that gives you in the neighborhood of 4 moa (approximately at 100) in the sight itself bc those old clicks arent perfect. So.......

With a tall target.... shoot the gun. As sighted in now. But, count the moa down to the stop and see how many minutes you are playing with and need on the mount height, to get your desired setting on the sight for the stop.

Run the sight to the bottom and shoot it on the tall target and see what u playin with on the needed moa.

You may end up with the lowest mount and the lowest lyman front to get as close as you can.
My 56 had this same issue. Still not where I can do pics.

Best to you brother.

The lower front sight globe will give me a CH of adjustment also, very little but some.

The iron sights, once sighted in and removed, will get very little use. I just dont want to have them and have them ready to go if the desire strikes to use them.

Ill be mounting the Unertl but am considering other scope options. Being as its a rifle just to impress with its good looks and good shooting it kind of calls to have the Unertl be its only optic.

@pre64win is looking into his parts pile to see what can get that front sight as low as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
Damn @pmclaine,
You done been overrun by ChiComs while you fooled with your front sight. 😁

I called in air and the F4U dropped Napalm.....

Next up........zeroing the lower sight.....thank you @pre64win .......I will be paying you for the sights you are sending. Small business is having a hard enough time and you have taken a beating the last year or two in more ways than many.

The project took some time but you stood behind it 100 percent. I got my moneys worth and a beautiful rifle.

Watch this spot for more info.

If there was any question this shows @pmclaine and @pre64win are both solid guys. Another reason why I’m so glad I’ve spent my entire life in the gun community.

pre64win.com

ORDER #4604​

Your order has been delivered​

All the good stuff gets delivered when I am not at work......

I will be getting those sights tomorrow and will be fitting them on with intent to shoot ASAP.

@pre64win you mentioned wanting to see tighter groups.....that will come at around 200 rounds for certain, likely a lot less,....the barrel is still "seasoning".

Im not a believer in any sort of break-in procedure but I do believe it takes a certain number of rounds to form a lead and get things to settle in.

With these new sites rather than seeing how tight they will group Im kind of more interested in seeing how close my mathematics exercises were in determining how much elevation adjustment I will gain......

Right now thinking 'bouts 4MOA but with Pre64 trimming a base to the minimum maybe more.

Reactions: pre64win
We got a hiccup.

My new base is as low as you can go. The new Lyman 77 @pre64win shipped will appear silver soldered to the barrel.....as much possible MOA as I can get unless I file the front sight post which with the ready availability of Lyman inserts I may do that.

The fly in the ointment......block screws are a thread or two too long Im bottoming out before the base is mounted.

I have the Desk today but if the Honey Hole is open I might be able to find some shorter ones. Local hardware actually sells gun screws but I fear they are made of soft chinesium metal.

• Wow
Reactions: sandwarrior
Very gently shorten the screws, do not buy cheap ass screws. Take off a half thread n try it... repeat.

Chuck screw head in drill. Turn screw on sandpaper until u got the length you need....

It's old school and how we used to do it...

I was thinking about that but instead of sandpaper something like a shaprpening stone.....one or two threads should do........ would hate to have a messed up job screw up barrel threads though....Id guess the screws are harder than barrel steel?

I agree with j-huskey - the screws are pretty hard and will easily strip the barrel steel. Shorten them up by 0.025” to be safe. You now have two screw sets, so tailor one set for the custom lowered base. If I had been thinking, we’d have done it before we shipped. Sorry about that. Eager to hear how close we are to getting that sight arm back down where it belongs!

Im pretty confident in giving it a try.

Im going to head by my antique store anyway after work and see if he has some shorter screws but if not I will chuck them up in tap wrench and just lightly stone them down.

Reactions: j-huskey
Didn't get around to playing with the base screws.....too busy messing with my new to me 1967 Coleman lantern, buying that shit on EBay kicks ass.

Did make it by the Honey Hole today.....kept away from the rack of Model 70s so I wouldn't be tempted to buy that 1941 .300 Win Mag Standard......friggen beautiful rifle....told its about 20 SN away from a legit USMC gun.

I did get this though....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Smells like decades ago. $10 not bad inflation wise.

Reactions: Charger442
Didn't get around to playing with the base screws.....too busy messing with my new to me 1967 Coleman lantern, buying that shit on EBay kicks ass.

Did make it by the Honey Hole today.....kept away from the rack of Model 70s so I wouldn't be tempted to buy that 1941 .300 Win Mag Standard......friggen beautiful rifle....told its about 20 SN away from a legit USMC gun.

I did get this though....

View attachment 7575203

View attachment 7575205

View attachment 7575207

Smells like decades ago. $10 not bad inflation wise.
I'd like to see that Model 70!
DW

I'd like to see that Model 70!
DW

My co-worker doesnt sound interested....he has his eyes set on a new Winchester/FN that they have in a blond stock,

Reactions: deltawiskey
Just as well, if he wanted a 300 win mag. If the 1941 model 70 barrel is factory and marked 300 Magnum it is chambered in 300 H&H not 300 win mag. 300 win mag was not introduced until 1963.

Just as well, if he wanted a 300 win mag. If the 1941 model 70 barrel is factory and marked 300 Magnum it is chambered in 300 H&H not 300 win mag. 300 win mag was not introduced until 1963.

Good to know. I had wondered about that. My bad.

Good to know. I had wondered about that. My bad.

Somebody could have put a take off 63 or later barrel in it. I've see that b4.

And....... @pmclaine
On the clone to the pmc clone, I didnt get the stock, slept through the ending bid time. So, I'm hunting again.
@pre64win
I'm hunting a prewar stock to clone Phil's clone.

And....... @pmclaine
On the clone to the pmc clone, I didnt get the stock, slept through the ending bid time. So, I'm hunting again.
@pre64win

Co worker wants it as a possible Elk rig. He currently uses an R700 in 30-06 for his hunting purposes and wants to get a "dream rifle"...Im guessing this is the one he wants....

1615122001068.png

Different strokes for different folks.

The Honey Hole had a Pre 64 standard stock but I think he was asking stupid money for it....plus $500 if I recall.

Ill try and get by to check it out and see if he has a "best price".

And....... @pmclaine
@pre64win

I have one built by TBA that I just got my 15x Varmint Unertl mounted on. Thinking I might go with a lower power

I have one built by TBA that I just got my 15x Varmint Unertl mounted on. Thinking I might go with a lower power

I have a 20X on a Springfield M2...the scope shake is no joke.

On my M70 I run a 10X.....its perfect.

There are eye pieces on occasion on EBay. Wonder if one of the vintage scope shops could just change your eye piece glass to desired mag.

@pre64win
I have a two stocks in the shop from the original 373 USMC rifles. One is a marksman stock that has already sold and is going into a sniper build we are working on now. The other is a Low comb sporter stock with heavy original patina. A rack number is stenciled on the butt, some various stamps randomly scattered on the exterior of the stock, and the serial number stamped in the barrel channel. This latter stock also has a very large toe crack which has been repaired in our shop. It is by far the cooler of the two stocks, but may be too rough for most to be interested. Photos of both are below, with a couple additional photos of the sporter stock. At the bottom is a WWII era photo showing both styles of rifles being used side by side in training.

If you were not thinking of going with something this authentic, we have plenty of other options for you. Just let me know the details (pre-war tang & low comb, or something different?)

Collage.jpg

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_8839.JPG

WWII Marksmanship.jpg

Reactions: deltawiskey
I have a two stocks in the shop from the original 373 USMC rifles. One is a marksman stock that has already sold and is going into a sniper build we are working on now. The other is a Low comb sporter stock with heavy original patina. A rack number is stenciled on the butt, some various stamps randomly scattered on the exterior of the stock, and the serial number stamped in the barrel channel. This latter stock also has a very large toe crack which has been repaired in our shop. It is by far the cooler of the two stocks, but may be too rough for most to be interested. Photos of both are below, with a couple additional photos of the sporter stock. At the bottom is a WWII era photo showing both styles of rifles being used side by side in training.

If you were not thinking of going with something this authentic, we have plenty of other options for you. Just let me know the details (pre-war tang & low comb, or something different?)

View attachment 7575580

View attachment 7575583
View attachment 7575584
View attachment 7575585

Slight correction.....that last photo is the Vietnam USMC sniper school....

Reactions: SQ54 and pre64win

View attachment 7575580

View attachment 7575583
View attachment 7575584
View attachment 7575585

If the sporter stock has enough meat to open the barrel channel to a Win target taper or a 6 Douglas, I would be more than ok with it.
It's going to be a user rifle. The prewar action I'm going to use will be getting barrel #5 in its lifetime for this iteration (its it's currently a 6mm Rem in an oil finish marksman stock). I like the narrow stock sniper version better for what I'm doing with them these days. Phil's rifle signature/silhouette just called and said, do this.... bc somewhere in my checkered past I used one like that... nostalgia bites again.

I looked last night at a McMillan GP in marble walnut, and almost ordered it.

I might be better speaking with u on phone.

If the sporter stock has enough meat to open the barrel channel to a Win target taper or a 6 Douglas, I would be more than ok with it.
It's going to be a user rifle. The prewar action I'm going to use will be getting barrel #5 in its lifetime for this iteration (its it's currently a 6mm Rem in an oil finish marksman stock). I like the narrow stock sniper version better for what I'm doing with them these days. Phil's rifle signature/silhouette just called and said, do this.... bc somewhere in my checkered past I used one like that... nostalgia bites again.

I looked last night at a McMillan GP in marble walnut, and almost ordered it.

I might be better speaking with u on phone.

My Sporter accepted the Douglas I used which is a bit beefier than Win Target......there is some variance in Win stocks though.

My barrel is a Douglas #7....

thumbnail_image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: j-huskey
My Sporter accepted the Douglas I used which is a bit beefier than Win Target......there is some variance in Win stocks though.

My barrel is a Douglas #7....

View attachment 7575877

Work gun I carried for 17 years has a 7, and 63, in the pics shown b4 has a 7. I'm ok with them, just when u get old like me, u will like a bit less weight, just sayin..
and u ain't really that far behind me....🤗🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
I think it's as low as can be.

I had to hone the bottom of the site to fit.
It looks good, Phil. Pretty clean. Not sure if the Lyman was lower than the Winchester, but I sort of agree that the Winchester has a better more utility look to it. Good luck finding inserts for it, however. I assume that is why you went with the Lyman? Anyhow, let us know what that did for the aperture arm on your receiver sight. Close to getting it back where it belongs?

It looks good, Phil. Pretty clean. Not sure if the Lyman was lower than the Winchester, but I sort of agree that the Winchester has a better more utility look to it. Good luck finding inserts for it, however. I assume that is why you went with the Lyman? Anyhow, let us know what that did for the aperture arm on your receiver sight. Close to getting it back where it belongs?

I've been lucky to find all the Winchester inserts.....people buy entire guns just to get one of the three they are missing.

The Lyman is lower than the Winchester and if need be I could lower a Lyman front sight post....I don't think I will need to.

I will look at weather toward end of week and get it out to shoot.

Get it sighted in than I will move to a scope.

Im going to send you back the unused Winchester globe once I get it all settled.

let me ask this, and this is not to stir the pot any, but just for my information.
Did the actual USMC Sniper m70s like Hathcock used have a front sight mounting block or dovetailed to drift in a sight after the Douglas barrels were installed? Did they come like that from Van Orden?

let me ask this, and this is not to stir the pot any, but just for my information.
Did the actual USMC Sniper m70s like Hathcock used have a front sight mounting block or dovetailed to drift in a sight after the Douglas barrels were installed? Did they come like that from Van Orden?
The 1942 rifles had a dovetail and needed a dovetail type block. The Van Orden rifles had D&T holes for a screwed-on front block.

I have a Van Orden with original Winchester barrel and dovetailed front sight block....
Van Orden rifles used factory target barrels. There were no cataloged target rifles made between 1951 and 1954, so a VO made in this period could conceivably have a barrel with a dovetail. Those made from 1955 onward are all made with D&T holes and no dovetail.

Mine is serial 338300, which I believe dates to 1953?
It’s 1955, but I wouldn’t dispute the originality of a dovetail even this late. Winchester was notoriously scattered in their cutoff points when they transitioned changes into production. The bottom of the barrel will be dated for the barrel date of manufacture. It’s conceivable Winchester sent some “clean-up” barrel inventory to Evaluators. Target rifles in the non-cataloged years of 1952-1954 have barrels both ways. I have VO SN 335339 (also 1955), a “US PROPERTY” gun, and it has a 55 dated barrel with D&T holes, which is what we’d expect to see.

Reactions: j-huskey and Skunk
I'm seriously tempted by this rifle...
DW

I think I paid $900 for my donor with the trade in of a last ditch arisaka that was doing nothing but taking up limited safe space.

The experience of buying a gun from Cabelas was the worst ever.

I would have gladly paid the money for this rifle instead.

My rifle is a 1950s vintage with an early safety added to give it the pre war look....this rifle is legit, looks to be in better shape than what I started with.

My USMC replica started out as a pre-64 Featherweight hunting rifle (299xxx serial range - not sure what year) with a skinny barrel in 308W,
and an old Bushnell 3-9x scope. Found it local for $750 back in 2016....
Model_project_Featherweight2.jpg

...but it was subsequently re-born with a new Douglas barrel with WRA's 'medium-heavy' profile in caliber 30-06, given a satin blue finish,
M70_project_Douglas_vs_WRA_barrel.JPG

...and carefully bedded in a Marksman stock. Initially had a 10X Lyman Super TargetSpot, but later got a 10X Unertl, as seen here:
(Also found a 1963 dated leather sling for it)
M70_rt_2.JPG

Used it once at a vintage Quantico Shooting Club match a few years ago, and had a nice chat with Maj. Land (ret)
about these oldie but goodie rifles. This thread makes me want to try it again this summer at another match.
Land&Me_05272018_sml.jpg

...below rifle is not mine, but I recall it is a very early pre-war M70 with nice patina. While I do not remember the serial number,
it was only 4 digits long, and I was told it was first or second year production of the M70, so I think its from 1936 or 1937.
Pre-WWII_M70_092019.jpg

I always liked the old style caliber marking on the barrel (although I think a slightly older vintage scope would look more appropriate).
Pre-WWII_M70_roll-marks.jpg

...my random post for today.

Last edited: