• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester M70

Are you referencing the "70" @pre64win ?

Not that I would doubt its abilities to do well but I did not bring the 70 to this class.

I went with Rem 700 in .308

1621783361735.png

Shooting in classmate teams Id be unfairly handicapping my team mates with the Unertl and I need to get to know the 70 better.

That extra 5X magnification and known data from my old faithful is a crutch I lean on.....

1621783637715.png

Are you referencing the "70" @pre64win ?

Not that I would doubt its abilities to do well but I did not bring the 70 to this class.

I went with Rem 700 in .308

View attachment 7631676

Shooting in classmate teams Id be unfairly handicapping my team mates with the Unertl and I need to get to know the 70 better.

That extra 5X magnification and known data from my old faithful is a crutch I lean on.....

View attachment 7631681
That's alright. I like your 700 as well!

Reactions: pmclaine

pmclaine, I just got off the phone with Cabela's LaVista. They had a 12/64 Model 70 for $599 and I had enough Cabela's Buck's saved. I haven't even seen it yet but my son says it's worth the money. They're going to ship it to Kearney for me for free. That'll save me a couple of hours one way. I'm planning a USMC Sniper tribute, but not a true Faux sniper​

Last edited:

pmclaine, I just got off the phone with Cabela's LaVista. They had a 12/64 Model 70 for $599 and I had enough Cabela's Buck's saved. I haven't even seen it yet but my son says it's worth the money. They're going to ship it to Kearney for me for free. That'll save me a couple of hours. I'm planning a USMC Sniper tribute, but not a true Faux sniper​

Pictures or its not happening....

Reactions: Mr. Z
70 born Dec of 1964
Yep. Sorry I wasn't very clear the way I wrote it.
I'll get pictures but it will be the end of next week before I actually have it in my hands. The pictures I've seen of it look like flint62's in the other win 70 thread except it doesn't have a scope right now. It has a Redfield JR base and rings

Last edited:
Hey I got a question for those of you who know more about these rifles than I do (which would be everybody ;) )

So earlier in this thread there was a list of the different scopes that were used on the Winchester model 70 Sniper rifles. One that I don't remember seeing on that list (I'm not finding it right now) was the Redfield 3-9 with the Tombstone reticle (I don't recall the correct name for that model scope) Did those scopes ever find their way onto the Model 70?

I ask because the rifle I have coming has a Redfield JR base and rings on it. What I'd really like to put on it is the Unertl 8X or a Lyman Super Target Spot, but I'm thinking I might have a had time affording one of those but I do have access to one of the Redfields with the tombstone.

Hey I got a question for those of you who know more about these rifles than I do (which would be everybody ;) )

So earlier in this thread there was a list of the different scopes that were used on the Winchester model 70 Sniper rifles. One that I don't remember seeing on that list (I'm not finding it right now) was the Redfield 3-9 with the Tombstone reticle (I don't recall the correct name for that model scope) Did those scopes ever find their way onto the Model 70?

I ask because the rifle I have coming has a Redfield JR base and rings on it. What I'd really like to put on it is the Unertl 8X or a Lyman Super Target Spot, but I'm thinking I might have a had time affording one of those but I do have access to one of the Redfields with the tombstone.

There is definitely one mounted on the rifle built for Carlos Hathcock by PWS.

The Gunny noted in Lands book that if he had his way he would have used an M70 with the "Remington 700 scope" when in VN.

PWS gave him that with a McMillan stock.

It would be a legit build

1622917949269.png

And, in the cross contamination btw FBI Quantico and USMC Quantico, the model 70 on the front of the fbi data book has the redfield.
I "THINK" one of Senich's or Chandlers books has a pic of a 70 with a redfield. Not going to swear to it though,
However, above McLaine post indicates it would be a righteous build. I agree.
Go for it.
Screenshot_20210605-133759_Chrome.jpg

And, in the cross contamination btw FBI Quantico and USMC Quantico, the model 70 on the front of the fbi data book has the redfield.
I "THINK" one of Senich's or Chandlers books has a pic of a 70 with a redfield. Not going to swear to it though,
However, above McLaine post indicates it would be a righteous build. I agree.
Go for it.View attachment 7640907

5 maybe more years ago one morning, early, perusing the PX someone had a smear M70 McMillan HTG for maybe $300/$450.

I just didnt have a need at the time though I considered it.

I posted it over at M40Rifle and someone snapped it up.

Not buying that and selling my M1991A1 Colt are my two biggest firearms regrets.

Love those left handed 1950 rifles ;)

Looks like a "command post" Bushnell. Those are pretty good scopes for how inexpensive they were.
It’s not a southpaw lol. My phone flipped the picture and makes it look like one.

• Sad
Reactions: LeftyJason
Pictures or its not happening....
Ok, so I picked it up last night but I haven't had a chance to get any pictures yet. It's just a standard hunting weight barrel. (I'm guessing my son didn't understand the question?:unsure:) But that's ok for what I have in it I'm still happy. It's just a plain old well used, but cared for hunting rifle. The trigger would appear it has been loved on a little too because it breaks really nice and clean.

I picked up a Lyman Super Target Spot for it yesterday and a plain old Redfield 3-9. I got the Redfield for $65 so I'll use it until I can get it re-barreled.

I can't wait to shoot it

Ok PMac here they are . It isn't as "shiny" as what it appears in the photos. As I said in an earlier post, it really isn't anything special. Just a well taken care of old hunting rifle. Oh, and I did get a Lyman Super Target Spot bought yesterdayView attachment 7646656View attachment 7646657

That looks like a solid clean rifle.

I wouldnt call that a pencil barrel, maybe Winchester version of Varmint.

Looks bigger than mine before I had it enhanced.......

View attachment 7646694

Story of my life.
68-78ish standard weight, approximately same contour as 1903 springfield muzzle, and model 700's of the time.
The pre-64's had a slightly smaller muzzle diameter and a little bit more taper than the later post 64 rifles.

Then it seems, at the end of usrac and on current Winchester rifles, it's back to the pre64 taper and smaller muzzle.

Life

@rth1800

Man did the dog do the ass worm rub across your Zebra Hide rug?

Easy on my man. He is new to vintage and not savvy to the nuisances of an original rifle vs one that is Sporterized.

That's a cool period hunting rifle that would have had pride of place in the day of glass fronted hunting cabinets, soft slippers, smoking jackets, pipes and tales of the safari.

Reactions: j-huskey
I got my M70 back from having the throat touched up to chamber rounds correctly. Mounted a 1" target 10x (identical to the USMC 8x) and I had some trouble with it. I'd set the rear eye peice and then could not get a clear site picture with the front parallax.

i think I was adjusting the rear without having the front on infinity. I don't know, but I'm disappointed I couldn't get it to work. My 20x Lyman and 15x 2" target have always been easy setup

even with blurry crosshairs, the gun stacked shots very well.

@pmclaine has been asking for pics but I'm not going to until I get the 1" target scope hammered out

Wow beautiful rifle.

Love that 30 Govt 06 barrel marking.

Little Unertl tip....if any of the twisty parts ever gum up and get a littel stubborn moving wrap both sides of the twisty parts with rubber bands and it will give you more purchase to overcome the stiction.

There really is nothing to those scopes, kind of like Pirate Spyglasses that dont collapse, but they scare the crap out of me.

Especially if you unscrew the ocular end exposing the crosshair cell right there ready to have an errant finger poke through it.

I need to get mine out soon and do some more testing with it. Got a box of reloads with 4350/175 SMK loaded up that I want to test out.

That's a beauty! Who did the build - they did a great job.

About your throat work, were you extending the leade for longer bullets?

The throat was just too short, and everything from 150s up to 173s were breaking neck tension and pushing down into the case. Now it'll chamber up to 200 grain bullets.

This is an old build done by TBA about 12 years ago

The long-awaited CMP package arrived today. These cases are like time capsules, or maybe a treasure chest. Hard to imagine how many true pieces of history have shipped off into civilian hands in a CMP case. For us, we managed to acquire one of the original 1942 “US PROPERTY” marked USMC model 70s. It’s used, but not abused. Fully intact with no major damages or modifications. Who knows what stories this rifle could tell!

USMC 0.jpg
USMC 1.jpg

The long-awaited CMP package arrived today. These cases are like time capsules, or maybe a treasure chest. Hard to imagine how many true pieces of history have shipped off into civilian hands in a CMP case. For us, we managed to acquire one of the original 1942 “US PROPERTY” marked USMC model 70s. It’s used, but not abused. Fully intact with no major damages or modifications. Who knows what stories this rifle could tell!

View attachment 7653589View attachment 7653591

Congratulations Justin, Its history will be preserved......

It came with the Redfield?

Congratulations Justin, Its history will be preserved......

It came with the Redfield?
Thanks Phil. Yes, this one will not go into a custom sniper project!

We are not the first civilian hands to get the rifle, so the scope may not be original. I have a photo of the rifle from its original sale and the Redfield base and rings were present, but not the scope. The scope does not have the "tombstone", so it probably is not original.

View attachment 7653589View attachment 7653591
A couple of sisters similar to yours. Not property marked. One has a win. 1952 target barrel with 1" tube redfield accu trac , gloss, f serial. The second has a 30 govr 06 sporter barrel and m-84. Both have patent marked Redfield bases and are bedded.
-What are the first two serials on your rifle?
- Is it USMC bedded?
(I must have missed that auction LOL) . The ones below begin with 43xxx and 45xxx. most of the others have marksman stocks and unertl's . A couple were orginally Orden. A few , like the m-84 rifle and a pitted barrel and water stained stock Orden are abused . You have a beautiful rifle and I would have loved to own it. Thanks for showing it to us.. Post some close ups when you get a chance.

Attachments

• CIMG9458.JPG
    CIMG9458.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 118
  • CIMG9459.JPG
    CIMG9459.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Gunny: Nice work on your load development. Can I send you a few pieces to play with.?lol

Last edited:
Some 30-06 Load development.....

ybYBM1Kl.jpg

c7WZSEvl.jpg

heFWWcrl.jpg

px3Wo6Hl.jpg

RWQKUpVl.jpg

rwlZxvil.jpg

vGnbmEsl.jpg

n32eLtTl.jpg

If the weather would remain at 86' with 76% RH and 29.99 HG this might be my load....

apwN8oDl.jpg
Dang, there wasn't much that barrel does not love! Hard to go wrong with almost any of those loads. And realizing finding consistency in a rifle starts with consistency in the shooter - nice shooting!

Dang, there wasn't much that barrel does not love! Hard to go wrong with almost any of those loads. And realizing finding consistency in a rifle starts with consistency in the shooter - nice shooting!

I need to get better with the scope.

I found myself being lazy with positioning.

When my eye was in the right spot the scope "brightens" like an electrical light comes on and indicates you are square behind the scope.

I have that same string of ammo Im going to shoot at 300.

I think I have two of each loaded up. Probably fire two ladder tests each on their own targets and look for flat spots.

Perhaps fire one with the magnetospeed, one without, to get some velocity data.

Head position is all important with these scopes. And it’s not easy with the stock configuration. I dont use a cheekpad on my rifle, and the slightest variation in head position sends that round out of the group. Sometimes in spectacular fashion!!!
But that’s why I love shooting these rifles. Old school is the best school!3DB00265-43E0-41B5-9699-97C9D26D9509.jpeg3FB0260B-AD7E-414A-8E39-E5102C9ED09B.jpeg

Head position is all important with these scopes. And it’s not easy with the stock configuration. I dont use a cheekpad on my rifle, and the slightest variation in head position sends that round out of the group. Sometimes in spectacular fashion!!!
But that’s why I love shooting these rifles. Old school is the best school!View attachment 7659975View attachment 7659976

no fair cheating with a recoil pad.

steel butt plate is the real butt plate :D