• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Wildcat .22 in Semi Autos

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Has anybody ever heard that Winchester Wildcat .22 doesn't work well with semi autos, meaning it doesn't cycle well. I just bought the wife a Sig Mosquito and 2000 rounds of Winchester Wildcat. I would've bought Remington, but that's all I could find. My Dad's buddy told me it won't cycle because it's cheap ammo...I've never heard this before.

Re: Winchester Wildcat .22 in Semi Autos

Be careful when you're going through loading it that the bullet lube isn't smeared all over the outside of the case. I've seen this be the cause for a dirty/sticky chamber and poor cycling and extraction in both semi's and bolt action.

If this happens you need to clean the chamber, otherwise the stuff works fine when I shot it.

I only shot 1 brick though because it was a mess and a PITA to clean the lube off 500 rounds.

My Dad and I have shot Wildcats in 10/22s for over 25yrs. Never a problem. They may not be the most accurate, but they are very reliable plinking ammo.

I shoot the Winchester bulk 333 in a spikes AR upper and they work fine. I think the 333 is just loose packed Wild Cats. They look alot alike. The Spikes is known to be picky about ammo and it just eats the Winchester stuff up like candy. I say go shoot it and see. The only ammo I've ever had trouble with in semi-auto's is the Remingtom stuff. The wax is very hard and causes some feeding problems. It will feed if you wipe them off but who has time to clean 500 to a 1000 22's in a day.
Now the other day a lady showed up at the range with a P22 pistol and two boxes of CCI standard velocity ammo. Her husband bought her the pistol and the store clerk had told them this was the shit for her pistol. Well you know it the pistol short stroked all most every round. She was a little upset and I felt bad for her so I gave her two boxes on AE red box high speed. Well she went though it quickly with no problems. She was happy and I felt good for saving her range day. The short story is CCI maybe what they use to test pistols but make sure it's the correct type. Donald

Ya, have heard this. Nut used to carry 'em loose in my pockets while plinking as a kid with no problems.
Have burnt 10s of thousands of them in 10/22s, etc. with what I'd consider no more than typical problems.
Some guns like 'em, some don't. They are typically cheap fun.