• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woody's Designated Marksman Match Sponsored By DPMS October 25th Series Finale

Re: JUNE 25TH NC DESIGNATED MARKSMAN MATCH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So, those of you that turned in the sub-1500s times today, what gear were you running? </div></div>

The two guys that won it were shooting single shot bolt guns in 6mmbrx. They were in our group, and shot everything clean with no penalties. One of them won the snipers challenge match too.

BJ

Were they dialing or using holdovers (if you know)? The fact they were single loading with bolts speaks volumes to me that it is not necessarily always the bells/whistle of the tool but the skill of the craftsman with the tool.

It was an extremely imprressive shoot off with a 1/2 IPSC steel target @ 917 yds from a bipod!

Overall a great match as always I hope to have my new kit debugged in plenty of time for the next match. But its always better to stress it during a match (fun) and find a failure than in the heat of a hunt or other activities where the situation is not so forgiving

Look forward to seeing you all at the next match!!!

One of us dialing the outher was using hashes

Awesome match again Woody.
smile.gif
I have to throw out a big thank you to the sponsors, especially for the upper that Daniel Defense donated. Ye-yeah!

My partner had an awesome run but I had equipment malfunctions, dope issues and a general bad day of shooting. Even with all that I had a great time and look forward to trying to make the next match.

It was great shooting with you on our squad and congrats on winning the upper! Daniel Defense really makes quality kit and that was a Hell of a prize for the match table

Look forward to shooting with you guys in the future

Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was great shooting with you on our squad and congrats on winning the upper! Daniel Defense really makes quality kit and that was a Hell of a prize for the match table

Look forward to shooting with you guys in the future

Semper Fi </div></div>

Thanks! We had a great time shooting with you too. Our squad by far had the best RO's.
wink.gif

If we can make it we'll see you at the next one. Hopefully that JP will start running a little better for you and I'm hoping to be rocking an AI AE in .260.

I've got to make the drive out to one of these shoots in the near future, maybe make a weekend out of it. Get my ass handed to me probably, but it'll be fun
laugh.gif

It was a really fun match. I liked the format a lot. This was the first "Tactical" competition me or Chris (duck) had ever shot in. Guess we got lucky. Years of shooting crows, groundhogs, deer or whatever else would stand still for us helped I'm sure.

I was shooting a built 700 with NF scope & used the retical for all shots. Chris was shooting a built savage & dialed his Sightron scope. We were both shooting 6BRX, chambered by a good friend & hell of part time gun smith. Yes we were loading single shot.

The match is very fun but you have to stay on your toes. Both guys have to make the day without any goofs. We were fortanate to make it through without major screw ups (not knowing were a target was, bipods geting hung in trailer slats, shooting the wrong hash for several shots in a row, and mild gun malfunction was still some of the bumps we came across just like others).
Chris did also win the LR portion (still dont know what happened to me) so you see who carried our team.

Look forward to the next match. We'll try to make it. Their were some damn nice prizes given away too. Congratulations X on the upper. Thanks to ALL the sponsors. I think most people walked away with something, if nothing else a full belly!

Also thanks to everyone in our squad. We seen some good shooting & everyone was helpful. We actually got beat by time on a couple stages by other teams in our squad. However the 2x4 stage seamed to give most teams a fit.

Here is the only pic I took yestarday. I can post the rest if anyone wants. There we 27 teams.

494579833_photobucket_52577_.jpg

First things first... A BIG Thanks to Woody for putting on the match and the sponsors for the prize table.
The match ran smooth and not a lot of standing around. Learned a few things and seen a few I need to work on, anytime you shoot in different positions and on the clock its good training. Thought the name tags was a good idea, next time I'll put my real & Hide name. It was good meeting everyone and we'll see you around.
Before I forget the lunch was outstanding and I want the potato recipe... Please
Will try to make the next even with the 6 hour 45 minute drive, it was worth it to us.
Stage #1
11ubw4j.jpg

j9pwmf.jpg

Stage #2
n6z42r.jpg

fdzvx1.jpg

1ziz4k.jpg

2m2t18k.jpg

Stage #3
317fx4o.jpg

dm35h5.jpg

icid0j.jpg

Stage #4
2zfpugl.jpg

smac8n.jpg

111nv9g.jpg

i4qwd3.jpg

Stage #5
lfn85.jpg

egxr9j.jpg

2ni086e.jpg

29vkx9g.jpg

m8e3a9.jpg

Lunch Time
15cnjg5.jpg

url]

Didn't stay for the afternoon shoot... maybe next time

Oh yea one more thing.... Thanks to all the RO's of the day, especially mine.

Woody had a great time and the food was good. Want to thank all the people and companies for the prize table. This match was the best yet. looking forward to the September match. The best part of the event /match was stage 3# was watching Branson1369 hit the stock of that high dollar MA-TEN against the floor of the shooting platform. Malfuntions we all have them. The shoot no shoot targets were a great idea. Want to thank all the RO's for there time. Breeze260 I will have to make that six hour trip to Ohio to shoot Thunder Valley with you guy's . Andy think I will hold on to that little .223 a little longer,or trade it for the hat your son had on,LOL. Thanks for being RO for our group.You and and your son made it a worth while day. The father son team from Virginia you guys are some great shooter's and work well as a team.
Thanks everyone.

had a great time at the match. thanks damon and to all the ro's . I thought the match went smooth. was very thought out and a great lunch and prize table. thanks again to all that helped put it on I hope to make another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Breeze260 I will have to make that six hour trip to Ohio to shoot Thunder Valley with you guy's . </div></div>

You make that trip and I'll make sure you see it all

Another great match, and the difficulty was kicked up a notch as well. Thanks to Damon and all the match staff that worked hard to make this match a success. I'll be giving my partner a hard time about hitting every single no-shoot for a long time, but I thought he did great for shooting a 16" AR15 and an Acog.

Special thanks to all the sponsors for the generous table, you guys made some generous contributions. Thanks from all the shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So, those of you that turned in the sub-1500s times today, what gear were you running? </div></div>

We weren't sub-1500's, we ended up third, but I was running a KMW 260 with a 10X SS and 130 Bergers. My partner was shooting a 16" Larue AR15 with an ACOG and Black Hills 75's.

Thanks to all that came out and battled the hot sun & heat. Congrads to Chris & Greg for winning the morning match.My hat goes off to Chris who also won the afternoon long range match in a shoot out with Ricky.918 yards on a 1/3 steel silhouette (wow !!!) I'd like to also thank all the R.O.'S who managed all the shooters at each stage. It feels good to know that shooters have drove 6-7 hours to come to my match and have returned several times since.

***************SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL MY SPONSORS*****************

DANIEL DEFENSE
SOUTHERN THUNDER
WILSON COMBAT
B.H.E. ENGINEERING
B&B ENTERPRISES
TACTICAL SUPPRESSED WEAPONS
STILL WOOD WEAPONS SYSTEMS
TRACE ARMORY GROUP

Sorry for all those shooter I did not personally have a chance to talk to.As I mentioned at lunch its about you the shooters having a great time.So to make sure of that I try to handle and do things myself.I hope in the future I will be able to be more social and maybe shoot the stages with some of you.Look forward to the next match and will be posting the next match in the up coming weeks.Call me if you need to (919)422-6465.

Thanks Again
Damon AKA:Woody

Red, that's some good shooting.

There were a bunch of splatters on the no hits, your buddy wasn't alone
grin.gif
. There were two other teams that came with us from the house. Both with good shooters. They had some misfortune with scope zero's, no hits, malfunctions & head scratchers. It doesn't take much to get shuffled back quick. It was the 1st tac shoot for all of us. We learned a lot!

Thanks again Damon for the shoot & effort for a prize table (and of course those that donated prizes &/or time). A special thanks to Chad for letting us check out some of their "toys"!

Awesome Match and a fantastic group of shooters and RO's. Chris and Greg had a great match and Chris doubled up by winning the Long Range Shootout against Ricky.
Chris will be getting 2 of the coveted custom machined DMR match trophy plaques! They should be finished engraved and on their way by weeks end.

Thanks to the teams from Ft. Bragg for sharing their knowledge with us.

Congrats to Black X on winning the Daniel Defense upper!

Excellent pictures of the match!! Red_SC will be posting shooting house pics soon.

Also,
Shooting this match with a 16" AR-15 and an ACOG and STILL finishing 3rd is a monumental accomplishment!!
Run what you brung and go for it!!!!

Does anyone no how i can get in touch with rickey i think his wife took alot of good pics.Great shooting CANT WAIT TILL NEXT ONE.

Woody, it was a great match, everything seemed very well thought out and was put together well. I look forward to attending the fall match. It was also good talking to you at the Snipers Match. Great Job on everything, food included!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So, those of you that turned in the sub-1500s times today, what gear were you running? </div></div>

We weren't sub-1500's, we ended up third, but I was running a KMW 260 with a 10X SS and 130 Bergers. My partner was shooting a 16" Larue AR15 with an ACOG and Black Hills 75's. </div></div>

I've shot with your partner before (his name escapes me right now) we were in the same squad at Ft. Benning 3 Gun 2010. He can shoot low power optics at range VERY well. I watched him him clean the long range stage (425yd max target) in some tough wind conditions with an Eotach monopodding off the mag in pretty short order at Benning. Lots of guys shooting variable power scopes struggled with that stage (I did). It would be scary to see what he can do with a higher powered scope in the future!
wink.gif

Awesome match! It was definitely a challenge with the diverse shooting positions and slightly reduced target size from the previous matches. The addition of the hostage targets was also a great addition! Really can't say enough good things about the match, participants, prize table or the luncheon. Enjoyed meeting several Hide members, hope you had a great time and plan on returning.

Special thanks to Damon and his setup crew for putting on the match and luncheon. GREAT JOB and very much appreciated!

Also special thanks to all of the sponsors who made the prize table possible:

Daniel Defense
Trace Armory Group
Wilson Combat
BHE Engineering
Stillwood Ammunition
Tactical Suppressed Weapons
B&B Enterprises
Southern Thunder

Apologies to Ryan of Southern Thunder for costing him a new rifle. After shooting my DPMS LR-308 his wife decided she had to have one of her own.

Looking forward to the matches in the Fall. If you are within 6-8 hours of Raleigh STRONGLY consider shooting future matches. It's a great time and well worth the travel!

Huge Thanks to Damon for the work he did in getting it ready. Also thanks to the sponsors for contributing to the match.

Now down to business -Damn folks that was a good match! Our squad had a good time and saw some outstanding shooting. The father/son team from Va was impressive. At 17, that young man can shoot! Mack tells me he and Alex (MY Colts) will be shooting next year! John, yes I'll buy the worn out .223 and Mack says you'll have to wrestle him for the hat. The boys from Thunder Valley were good shooters and I'd like to go up there and shoot! Sorry, I made one of teams mad, hell it was an honest mistake and I apologize! Thanks to the LEO from Chapel Hill that let Mack shoot his rifle at the 100 yard exploding target, while I went to the house for the long shots. Note, he hit it on his first shot! That's a big deal for an 11 year old, I couldn't hardly get his head to fit into he cab of the truck to make the trip home.

Saturdays match was great! The first that we have been able to attend. Thank you very much Damon for inviting us and giving our Southern Thunder an opportunity to sponsor the 1st part of the long range event. We look forward to sponsoring future events.

As promised the food was great! Thanks for feeding us.

I want to say a special thanks to all the shooter's that that gave their time for instruction and use of their rifles for Mack, Rachel, her guest (so sorry I am horrible with names) and myself to shoot. It was an awesome experience! I really can’t thank you guy's enough.

Thank you to all of the other sponsor's your prizes added a special touch to an already exciting event!

Daniel Defense
Trace Armory Group
Wilson Combat
BHE Engineering
Still wood Ammunition
Tactical Suppressed Weapons
B&B Enterprises

Bunsen, my husband will probably thank you when he meets you. The 308 has been next on his list for awhile. What's mine is his so technically it will be his too.

Now just to figure out how to get the Remington 700 and the 308 will be the task. I guess I'll just have to sell some more targets.

Anyone reading this that hasn't been to one of Damon's shoots needs to make plans to attend the next one. You will not be disappointed.

Here are some camera phone pics I took throughout the day.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

It's too bad I didn't think to get a pic of the doe that came out between the first two targets on the deer stand stage. I ended up having to send a round at the no-shoot to get her to leave so we could restart the stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's too bad I didn't think to get a pic of the doe that came out between the first two targets on the deer stand stage. I ended up having to send a round at the no-shoot to get her to leave so we could restart the stage. </div></div>

We had a turkey in the lane when we were getting started on that stage. We were hoping it was some kind of bonus target; but then she left.... Beautiful place Damon has!

Thanks for the pics everyone... Keep em coming

Excellent Shoot Damon!!!!! It was so much more than I expected but it was a blast to shoot. Thanks to all the sponsors, great prizes to pick from, seeing how I won a nice set of Daniel Defense 12" rails. Thanks to our RO's for taking the time to help out the "new" guys. Great group of people in general and that says alot for the shooting sports.
Once again, I send a special thanks to Damon and all the people that helped put this shoot together, you guys and girls are a class act. Can't wait for the next one, maybe by then I can work thru the brain malfunctions along with the equipment malfunction also....BTW, the food was excellent also.

Can someone please explain score totals. Are they in seconds or what?

Yep you got it, there in seconds. Here is the rest with easier to read conversion in pen.

Looks like it was a fight for 16th!

494579833_photobucket_53190_.jpg

To help further clarify the score sheet to those whom did not shoot the event here is an overview of the match format/rules:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">This is a two man team scored event of time plus penalties.

Each stage has six targets for each shooter to neutralize.

Non-nuetralized targets incurr a penalty of 2 min(120 sec) per target.

Non-threat targets (Larue resetting targets painted red) incurr a 2 min (120sec) penalty if knocked over. You can only kill the hostage once per shooter.

The maximum time allotted for each team is 6min (360 seconds). Teams can divide that time between shooters however they want. However, once the first shooter stops firing and the second shooter begins the first shooter can not re-engage any non-netralized targets even if time remains from the alotted 6 min.

Each team will get a 2 min(120 sec) prep period.

Any additional instructions or CoF requirements will be given in the stage briefing along with target locations and yardages.</span></span>

It's a pretty simple rules sheet and the format works very well. if you fail to neutralize a target or have a hit on a non-threat the penalty is significant. As a team you need to decide whom is going to shoot first and how much time they are going to be alotted. To do well at this match both shooters need to have a "good day". I believe the past two winning teams have neutralized all targets. I'm not sure about hits on non-threats for the most recent match?

As stated previously this matches winners were running 6.5mmBR's and single loading. The winners from the March match were running .300WinMag and .300WSM This matches 2nd place team were using .223Rem and had placed 3rd in the March match. It's not the equipment you bring, but how well you can use it. Although, I will say that the past two matches the wind was not a significant factor, and no matter what you cannot miss fast enough!
wink.gif

Yep, Ron and I placed 16th by .05 seconds, it was pretty close. We had alot of problems with the 2x4 stage, between gun malfunctions for the first shooter and then the 2nd shooter running out of time we had the full 6:00 plus 18:00 in penalties. Then the tunnel stage we had the full 6:00 plus 6:00 in penalties. We got it together on the other 3 stages and cleared them all in under 6:00 with no penalties. We'll be better prepared for the next one and hopefull have better results! Even with the problems we had the entire match was still a blast and I can't wait til the next one.

Thought I would pass on an update on my new AR 10 Issue for the fans of the reverse butt stroke on the wagon/phone pole to clear the jam. 1st and foremost to reuse a quote from Harley days you should 'ride it like you stole it". New Gun or old gun run it hard in my book its what it is made for.

JP found minor defect in bolt where extractor retaining pin seats combined with bolt on one end of tolerance range pin on the other. The Mega reciever nor the BCG had any damage. The VLTOR stock did not fair as well and had a crack causing the postion lock not to work anymore.

JP Sent new bolt no charge but customer service (and I have bought alot this year for my customers) was at best a C-----. Required multiple calls with an elevated BS level. They make quality stuff and things happen but poor customer service is not acceptable

VLTOR even when I told them how I broke it said no problem here is your RMA we have new one in stock and will get it on its way just send us the old one total single phone call tiem involved less than 5 minutes customer service A++++++++++

Range report rifle is working great now and got me a 1st place at the JST match this weekend along with perfect function through a day and half of additonal range time @ Butner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I would pass on an update on my new AR 10 Issue for the fans of the reverse butt stroke on the wagon/phone pole to clear the jam. 1st and foremost to reuse a quote from Harley days you should 'ride it like you stole it". New Gun or old gun run it hard in my book its what it is made for.

JP found minor defect in bolt where extractor retaining pin seats combined with bolt on one end of tolerance range pin on the other. The Mega reciever nor the BCG had any damage. The VLTOR stock did not fair as well and had a crack causing the postion lock not to work anymore.

JP Sent new bolt no charge but customer service (and I have bought alot this year for my customers) was at best a C-----. Required multiple calls with an elevated BS level. They make quality stuff and things happen but poor customer service is not acceptable

VLTOR even when I told them how I broke it said no problem here is your RMA we have new one in stock and will get it on its way just send us the old one total single phone call tiem involved less than 5 minutes customer service A++++++++++

Range report rifle is working great now and got me a 1st place at the JST match this weekend along with perfect function through a day and half of additonal range time @ Butner </div></div>

Glad to hear you got it running. I hated to see you beat that thing on the hay wagon. Hope to see you again in the fall.

Woody said something about having another match in September. Any news on that? Date?

Any allowances for older shooters that just can't get into that prone position???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any allowances for older shooters that just can't get into that prone position??? </div></div>

The last two matches IIRC there were only two positions that you absolutely had to be shot prone. One had to be shot throught a 24" drainage tube and the other was where you had to shoot prone over a couple of rail road ties. All other stages where you had the option of prone you also had the option to shoot from a sitting/kneeling position. On the two stages that required prone only one member of the team had to shoot from the prone position. The other shooter shot from a crouched/kneeling/seated position. Also the first shooter <span style="text-decoration: underline">usually</span> has a brief prep period in which to get into firing position before the clock starts. If you would need any additinoal allowences I would suggest calling Damon directly his # is in the first post. He is not much of a computer guy and likely won't see your question for some time.

As for any additional details about future matches I haven't heard any specifics yet, but the details are being worked out and will hopefully be announced soon.

I must apologize for my question. If I had read the entire thread I would have seen all the photos showing shooting thru pipes and off round bales, etc.
I was looking for something like Rayner's monthly long range matches. Shooting prone or from a bench (your choice) at long range steel.

will be waiting/watching for those september dates...

Any update on the september date? September will be here next week and I need to plan ahead. I loved the match and am hoping to be able to attend the next one.

I'm going to go ahead and put it out there now!!!!! I need a partner to shoot with for this match. If anyone else needs a partner hit me up.

Any info on a date out there yet??????????

I called Damon a couple weeks ago and left a voicemail about this, but I've never got a call back. Hope everything is alright.

I heard that there is not going to be a september match. That the next match will be either the weekend before or the weekend after thanksgiving.