• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Words I'd ban from the gun community

Multiple exclamation points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen a lot of people use "turrents" instead of turrets to describe the knobs on a scope.

Haha, hope I know what I'm talking about and don't come out looking like an idiot...

Yes, TURRENTS are are those things that adjust the RETICULE.

Muzzle breaks

It doesn't damage anything, ie 'break', it stops something (recoil) ie 'BRAKE'

Thanks John, ^ gets me too!

Camo painting a rifle that sees nothing but range duty
Hold on a second pal. My Manners T5A with a GAP camo paint job definitely disagrees with you. Also my under armour realtree shirt disagrees with you. Some things are simply fashion statements like my spiderman unders.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Suppressors/Silencers being referred to as "cans". Nothing brings my piss to a boil more than when I see people in the shooting community use that term.

"Counter Sniper Scope"
"Clicks" as in how many to reach yards, inches..."
"Dave Muzz" may he whine in peace elsewhere
"Yay"
"Snipe" as a verb

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

High-Speed... I seen you fat boys and the last adjective that comes to mind is high-speed.

Clips and magazines really gets me going.
Point blank range shows the media stupidity.
Calling bullets "pills" is probably my biggest piss off.
Who ever started that should be Scotch Hobbled or at least set on a stump and their ball sack nailed down then pushed over backward.
Regards, FM

" Calling bullets "pills" is probably my biggest piss off.
Who ever started that should be Scotch Hobbled or at least set on a stump and their ball sack nailed down then pushed over backward. "

I agree 100%. I would suggest using a richpine stump and setting it on fire.

when someone calls it hunting when they just shot an animal with way too big of a caliber ex. seen people shoot deer with 50bmg its a waste of meat

Now can someone tell me the best fighting knife, cause I am interning with an operator next fall.

News "He was armed with a high power assault rifle"(223/5.56 semi auto)
Always make me wonder what would be a "normal" or "less powerful". When I see an M&P 15-22 is also labeled as an assault rifle.

Custom is the worst of the bunch, no one really seems to know what "custom" means, to some it is a small, glued-on sticker (usually with a skull), on the stock of an over-the-counter purchased, standard production, rifle. To some it is a paint job. To some it is an after market trigger, etc.
Custom made suit, cut from your choice of cloth, sewed to fit your body, liner and style your choice etc., we all know (or at least some of us know) what a custom suit is, but when it comes to rifles, just about anything that was not original makes it a "custom stick".
I guess adding a lapel pin to an off the rack suit, makes it a custom suit!
BTW, "cool stick, nice smoke pole, bad ass fire stick, etc." should find their way to the list.

Last edited:
This isn't a gun/shooting related term, but it does get used in the shooting community as well as every other type of community and it needs to die already. I'm talking about the term "my bad". I first heard that term when I was about 10 or 11 years old and here I am almost 24 and people still use that annoying saying. And to make matters ever worse, everyone always looks and sounds like a douchebag when they say it.

It's all good! (story for another time maybe)

Agree on 'reticule'. I see that written all the F*&KING time from people who ought to know better. If this thread has a vent aspect to it, consider this a screaming, ranting, raving, foaming at the mouth, RETICLE you illiterate, knuckle-dragging, SHTF prepping, bug out bag packing, clip dumping, boom-stick toting POS!

I agree with some of these and I just can't see how this makes you guys mad I mean calling them assault rifles pisses me off but calling them pill, cans, sticks, clips or whatever can't we just bite our tongue and move on (not trying to hate so don't hate back)

I agree with some of these and I just can't see how this makes you guys mad I mean calling them assault rifles pisses me off but calling them pill, cans, sticks, clips or whatever can't we just bite our tongue and move on (not trying to hate so don't hate back)

It's OK, really. Its all in good fun. I'm not ACTUALLY gonna make a law to ban these.

I know but I just don't understand how people can get mad at these words when they get the point out so as long as you know what they mean we should be good

I know but I just don't understand how people can get mad at these words when they get the point out so as long as you know what they mean we should be good

Well, getting the point out is part of the problem, no? How can I be sure of what you mean unless we agree that the terms you use mean the same thing to both of us? For instance, sometimes clip means magazine to some people; idiomatically, people might understand clip to mean any sort of missile feed mechanism for a projectile weapon . . . but what happens if what I really mean is clip (the real thing) and not that generalized term? Misunderstanding. Where it gets really bad is when people not part of our linguistic cadre begin to use such terms and subsequently misapply them, often with agendas attached.

And sometimes these words are just irritating for their connotations . . . personal or collective.

Has anyone ever really broken a fucking glass rod, with their God-damn index finger?

As soon as someone types "What is the best..." their account should automatically be deleted and their IP banned forever.

How else are we suppose to "buy once, cry once" if we don't know what is the best?

I'd also like to nominate "wifey".. anyone that uses that word I'd wager at some point will leave their wife for a boyfriend.

How about this from the non gun community when they first see your sexy tacticool boom stick:

"What are you gonna do with that!?!? Go elephant hunting??" Or

"You spent that much money in a gun to shoot stupid targets?" Or

They look at your loading bench:

"What are you gonna do, build a bomb?!?" You better hope the police don't see that!"

No shit, I get that crap all the time.

This string is funny, but sad at the same time, as sooooo much of it is based on fact. One of the things I find weird at the very least, is guys asking guys about "What should I wear? What do the other guys wear? Is this shirt okay? How about sunglasses what do you guys wear? What color should I paint it? I couldn't even begin to make up my own mind without input from strangers on the Hide! Can I get a camo shirt to match the paint on my smoke stick? Etc. I guess I'm an old guy, this may be what the new generation of males in America is coming to, I just hope it doesn't take over.

"Custom", when it doesn't really mean custom.
Custom involves some manufacturing, not parts swapping.

hey man we got context clues.... that hint what they mean and also we also are talking about firearms and such so probably have something in those means

How about kit, as in piece of kit.
Driving a rifle??
Probably both Hide generated terms.

I think most of the troubles this community faces is because folks are so quick o jump on the ban wagon. If government has become about what it should and should not ban, then we are way off on a terminal tangent. So I choose one word, "ban".

"Community", and not just in the gun crowd. I must hear that silly word a thousand times a day. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

How about kit, as in piece of kit.
Driving a rifle??
Probably both Hide generated terms.

Don't know the origins of "driving a rifle", I assume mrs daisy came up with that one but "kit" is an old term the Brits use for gear. I believe the more recent surge in the use of the term comes from working with the Brits downrange over the past ten years, at least that's the case for me I heard it working with some Brit sas guys on a couple raids in shit town a few years ago, first time i'd heard the term