• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Would you pay $1,000 + for this action?

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
Actiondefect002.jpg

Actiondefect001.jpg

Who feels this is acceptable? I just p/u this week.

BTW, NOT a Borden, my Alpine I rec'd this week is flawless.

Re: Would you pay $1,000 + for this action?

Someone used a pocket knife instead of CNC? No way! Maybe for $300, but maybe not.

Ummm......

NO. I leave less toolmarks with my hand mill (dremel).

If the action shoots "lights out" and functions great I might keep it rather than trade it in for an unknown, but clearly someone worked over the feed ramp (looks like with a Dremel tool with a rough grinding wheel that was not ideal) and did not do a pretty job of it).

It looks like the feed ramp was probably not made right in the first place as there has been a lot of grinding by hand over the whole thing (i.e. more than just a polishing up of things).

Does it affect anything? Probably not, but it sure is not pretty and does not give one confidence that things were well executed (if that is what was tendered as a "new" action).

FWIW - most of that could probably be polished out with a Cratex wheel (i.e. the rubberized type with milder abrasive embedded in it) in a Dremel tool in the hands of someone who can do things skillfully (operative word being "skillfully").

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

Robert, WELL PUT SIR, my sentiments EXACTLY. I think you are spot on to what happened.

As importantly what did THEY say when you brought it to their attention?

They have yet to talk to me, the action is a brand new custom action I purchased sight unseen thru a distributor.

It has not had a bbl on it, and I have no plans now.

BAT would have to refund my money or replace the action. However, see what they say before getting too mad. They have a good name in the business and I think they will do you right.

Reputation made me open my wallet ONCE, and they LOST my confidence and trust in them.

END PRODUCT QUALITY the FIRST TIME, EVERY TIME, is what one would expect.

A refund is likely the way I am going and redirect the dollars to someone who has earned my business. They had the opportunity to earn a customer for life, but the FUBBED up....

You've already made a post flipping about about this action on another board. Why are you doing the same here? Did you not hear what you wanted on the other board?

While I get it, you are displeased with the scratches, wouldn't it make sense to see what the manufacturer has to say before you go slandering their name all over the internet (which you have not)? What are you <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> trying to gain here?

This isn't the end of the world........

Jeremy, my 'gain' in the post......is to see what others think.

What is YOUR gain?

Not the end of the world, but if you like paying TOP dollar to get PHUCKED and short changed then be my guest!

BTW Jeremy, just send me YOUR BR action and a dremel tool to REPLICATE what you see. and I will be HAPPY to make YOURS as good as MINE! ..........I am waiting..........

I would give the maker an opportunity to make it right first. Everyone makes mistakes. If they have any decency at all they will be disappointed in themselves that they let that action slipped through their fingers and do whatever they can to make it right. I would be annoyed at the inconvience, but not pissed unless they refused to work with me. Then get out the Flamethrower. .02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeremy, my 'gain' in the post......is to see what others think.

What is YOUR gain?

Not the end of the world, but if you like paying TOP dollar to get PHUCKED and short changed then be my guest!

BTW Jeremy, just send me YOUR BR action and a dremel tool to REPLICATE what you see. and I will be HAPPY to make YOURS as good as MINE! ..........I am waiting.......... </div></div>

Jeez, dude.... take a chill pill. If I've read the above correctly, you haven't contacted the maker yet but you're whining on the interweb about it. Call them, explain/send pics, see what they say. If you are not happy then post away, but give them the chance to make it right before you piss and moan and get all nasty about it.

Some people.

1911fan

well i see where the OP is coming from. if youre going to make a top dollar action wouldnt you want to have it inspected before it goes out? but i also agree that you should let the company make it straight before someone on here gets into a pissing match over it

If you really want to see what he thinks check out his threadS on 24hourcampfire. Give it a rest dude. My 2 year old cries less. Things happen. Growing up in and working in machine shops all my life you will find out they are people too. I have worked in robotics and medical inspection and you can NOT expect 100% all the time. Who knows. They may have regected it and an employee bought it as a blem and snuck in and switched it out. You have no idea. The important part is how they handle it. You didnt give them a chance before you smeared their name all over the web in two days. You have sold the action now. So shut up. Too bad anyone in the industry knows just how great a company BAT really is. Has anyone EVER seen this from BAT? I dont think so. Or they actually gave them a chance to make things right? But what do I know huh?

Jason

Come on. They made a mistake. If they will not do something to make it right, then bring it to the web. They deserve the opportunity to make it right. Postings like this without giving the company the benefit of the doubt, is not cool in my opinion. Everyone is human as they employ people not robots. While I understand your being upset, it should between you and them for now. Hanging a good company out to the winds is not fair to them, unless they do not make it right with you. Give them a chance. If I had never screwed up I would not be human. I think that many here would feel the same.

Not sure why 6.5 posts here when he badmouths this site over on 24hrcampfire. Thinking some one needs to take a pill and quit posting "look at me and what I bought". Quite common from him.

I,m sure the company that made the action will replace it. Sure it is an inconvenience and wait times are long in this industry, but there is usually a happy ending.

Holy Bejeebus you are a woman. So let me get this straight, you went and picked up the action from a distributor??? Did you even think to check it over before you took it home? Doesnt look that way. Second you havent even given the manfu a chance to make it right, you are a fuckin woman man. Get a life and go back over to 24hourcampfire. Did you expect to come here and all of us cuddle you and rock you while we told you everything is gonna be ok, the big bad man isnt gonna get you no more???? I would have given the manfu a chance before doing some shit like this

I wouldn't write off the company just yet. If they take care of it, rock on. No one is perfect, everyone is fallable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We all make mistakes. The mark of the man if how he deals with the problem.</div></div>

Well put Chiller

Here is what this "other thinks".

You stated you bought it directly from a "distributor". Whos name was "hiiden" from view on the receipt picture....

And unless your an FFL holder,one would believe it went thru one of them at some point...didnt it.

So unless your an FFl and the manufacture sent it directly to you, one shouldnt make statements like "its has not had a barrel on it". How would you know.

Seems to me like this whole "show" is worded in such a manner to throw a manufacture under the bus, when by the way it sounds, it didnt go from them to you directly, with traceability.

If in fact it went directly from the manufacture to your facility,then you have a legitimate bitch. One would believe in the intrest of professionalism this would have been handled differently at that point, and only thrown out on a public venue if the manufacture wouldnt handle the issue.

there is my 2 cents, as you asked what "to see what others think."

Wait, did he sell the action?

Why would you sell the action instead of talking to the company and having them make it right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, did he sell the action?

Why would you sell the action instead of talking to the company and having them make it right?

</div></div>

With full disclosure?

Again that defines the mark of the man.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep he sold the action over on 24hrcampfire. </div></div>

it gets better and better....

He included photos of the receiver on 24HC and was in full disclosure on post #1. I dont have a dog in this hunt, just saying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He included photos of the receiver on 24HC and was in full disclosure on post #1. I dont have a dog in this hunt, just saying. </div></div>

Then at least he was straight with that....

I love it when someone buys a product or a service that doesn't quite meet an expectation. Instead of giving the company an opportunity to correct a mistake, they would go out of their way to post pictures and throw someone else under a bus proving how much of a bottom feeder they are.

Had you given them the opportunity to fix it, your post could have been a very positive one. The world owes you nothing, get over yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn it Chiller that cartoon is very distracting...but cool. </div></div>

Only here to help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He included photos of the receiver on 24HC and was in full disclosure on post #1. I dont have a dog in this hunt, just saying. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Guess I could go look myself, but full price?</span>

Looked there-yup. Interesting thread.

This is one of those situations that if BAT just told him to get fucked, I might/could understand.

Yes, IN FULL DISCLOSURE was how the action was sold. Having been instructed by the buyer to ship it to BAT, I am very suspicious it was a 'Feaux' attempt to get it off the market asap.

The action was ordered from a distributor, shipped to my local Bass Pro, the info was not shown in the photo as they had NO responsibility for the QC issue. The Mgr. at Bass Pro inspected BOTH actions, my Borden and BAT, and told me there were some ISSUES with the BAT and pointed them out.

I emailed and phoned the mfg./owner of BAT w/o contact made, and rec'd an unsatisfactory response 3 days later. That was all the time/patience, and headache I wanted to give it.

BAT had a shot at earning a customer for life, but the blew it.

One shot is sometimes all you get and once is all I am willing to try spending 1k + to get CHIT in return.

Mistakes happen, but BAT did not respond quickly enough....or with an acceptable solution, nor apology.

My time is valuable, my money hard earned, and I have been burned by Remington and a few others in the past, and cut my losses in time/energy spent to deal with a headache like this and hope none of you DECENT people on the board have to go thru it either.

I will now send my bbl and new Borden action that was mfg. FLAWLESS w/o defects or QC issues, by a man who earned my business, always treated me right and deserves my business and recommendation if one wants it. I have a BR Hall of Famer gunsmith who will assemble it (not Jim Borden so no I have no angle here). I am confident I will be very pleased w/my build and will not need to wait for a possible solution on something that was defective when it left BAT.

You guys crack me up throwing insults at me. I never ordered a botched, blem/2nd action, nor payed for one, and rightfully so had a reason to be pissed. VERY good chance posters on many boards are trying to stand up for BAT, because they have a close relationship, or perhaps work there. I can care less.

I have my money back, and the buyer will have to get the action straight (unless it's a cover). He has more patience and time than I perhaps, but I prefer people to do something right the first time. If any gunsmith screws up work on YOUR project, and you have to deal w/the solution, you will be pissed, and out of time and money spent. If you have yet to experience it but later do, then YOU will understand.

Good day gentlemen, the rest......good luck
smile.gif

Been disappointed too many times than I can count. Still doesn't change the facts nor the way that you presented this. You mentioned none of this in your original post about the situation as now described. Seems convenient to come back with this story after your ass was scalded.

McKinney, the facts are the facts. Ask Bruce at Bat, see if his character holds up. At least I have balls to get on here and forewarn you guys of a pitfall you want to avoid, while getting attacked by others for saying anything negative, albeit true.

I have NO obligation to the buyer, once I paid my money for a promise of unexcelled quality, and they failed me, there was ZERO respect for them or obligation.

Having spent large hard earned bucks, only to discover you get trash product due to what I call, "DELIBERATE INTENTIONAL OVERSIGHT" as how in hell can a mfg. build the REST of the product to high quality, and let the crap go out the door that I received? There is NO excuse. Toyota built a defective part, did not OWN their problem, and now are getting hammered in the media. Did they deserve it? Heck yes! Did they bring it upon themselves? Absolutely, as they failed the consumer. What built their company to what it was, ultimately was lost and forgotten and the bottom line was the only concern, and lives have been lost.

As to how important THIS purchase was to me.....very. I work hard, saved long, and expected to receive a product commensurate with the reputation I thought BAT had, but I was wrong.

If every mfg. deserved one chance to repair or replace, before consumers gave up on them, ALOT more junk would hit the market.

Why not tell a mfg. build a product, send it to me for inspection, THEN and ONLY THEN if it meets expectations does the mfg. get paid.

NO Sir, I ordered a BAT expecting to receive the best, only to receive junk. You either do it right, or not.

MY action was NOT right when it left. It NEVER should have left. As to it being taken care of, I TOTALLY lost interest in owning or using the action after seeing the garbage they put out. WHY should I OWE anything to BAT? They OWE me what they promise, in exchange for my money. They got my money. I got something far less in return.

That's just tough if many of you don't like how I handled it, or if the truth hurts. Call a spade a spade. I speak facts and they are what they are, as stated.

I am happy I rec'd my Borden the same day, as it's flawless and I am excited to have it built very soon. I am confident it will shoot lights out when finished. I lost any excitement I had for the BAT after failing to receive a prompt satisfactory response. That was something that was never coming back, nor was I willing to waste more time to see if they would do me right.

That said, I have a 2nd Borden on the way, and perhaps a 3rd.

Do your customers right, the first time, and/or make it right in PRONTO fashion or get left behind the competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am happy I rec'd my Borden the same day, as it's flawless and I am excited to have it built very soon. I am confident it will shoot lights out when finished. I lost any excitement I had for the BAT after failing to receive a prompt satisfactory response. That was something that was never coming back, nor was I willing to waste more time to see if they would do me right.

That said, I have a 2nd Borden on the way, and perhaps a 3rd.

Do your customers right, the first time, and/or make it right in PRONTO fashion or get left behind the competition. </div></div>

I hestitate to comment because i don't know all the facts so i hope im not speaking out of turn but i feel i have something to add. Although i understand you wanting the best, paying for the best, and expecting the best, then not getting it, there are a few things to consider. EVERY company/product will eventually fail or let you down at some point. Usually when i decide to give up on a company or product it is only after <span style="font-style: italic">multiple</span> failures. No shop is perfect but consider for example optics. Of the top brands most of the scope manufacturers have a less than 3% failure rate. When you stop and think about it a 97% success rate from a company that employs imperfect people is really good. Read around on this board though of people and their scope preferences. Alot of the time they have one bad experience and write off said manufacturer. I have had multiple failures from Leupold optics i have owned, enough for me to move on from that company. Other people have had nothing but good experiences with Leupold. It sucks being in that 3%. The fact of the matter is you bought a BAT because they had the reputation they did. If it were me i would be upset too. But they got that reputation for a reason, they put out a consistently excellent product. To me if they made it right all would be well. What will happen if you get a sub-par Borden? Would you be done with Borden? You can keep looking forever searching for a perfect action company/product but you'll never find it. It's interesting that you mentioned Toyota. They made 1 huge mistake, but that doesn't mean that they put out a crappy product. My POS Camry starts every morning, gets good mileage, and never breaks (i own a chevy truck too). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have a BAT, it's not perfect but it is easily the nicest action i have ever seen. Everything is tight and well thought out. I just wouldn't give up on BAT so quickly, but i understand your irritation with them. I would be mad too, but i would send it back to them and have them make it right but im not you. If you expect perfection from everyone you'll only be disappointed.

Just my .02 for what it's worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We all make mistakes. The mark of the man if how he deals with the problem. </div></div>

how 6.5 dealt with this "problem" pretty much sez it all...

You're right it took a lot of balls to post on this site how much of a troll you are. You didn't forewarn anyone about shit, in fact all you did was post some pictures of a damaged receiver and ask if anyone would pay 1k for it. Only after you had members here taking your side did we start to hear the facts. Once everyone knew how irreverently you mishandled the situation by bashing a well known company, your credibility ended up in the toilet and now you want to ramble on about how no one can do you wrong and get away with it. I say GFY and I hope BAT did the same, you have a lot to learn about good business/consumer relationships my friend.

I definitely give the manufacturer the chance to make it right first. When you don't, you lose your leverage and turn the whole thing into a pissing contest. It seems like you got what you wanted AND THEN turned it into a pissing contest, which is odd.

The only way this does not apply is if you are giving a review. If you are giving a review, you need to list all issues and potential issues with your specimen. You can't review an unbedded, unbarreled action.

Actually, the way to complain would be to post the pictures and say, "Is this supposed to be this way?" or "Should I go ahead and build on this action or send it back?" The way the post was phrased, "Would you pay $1,000 for this action?" was loaded.

And for the record, I have no dog in the hunt. I have never had a BAT nor do I plan on building on a BAT any time soon.

Sounds to me like you might be having Don Geraci screw it together for you ,if thats the case why not have the action shipped to him directly , he has probably hadeled more Bat actions that all the actions you have ever seen combined and I have yet to hear him say one negitive thing about them.

I personaly have handeled over a dozen Bat actions and have to say that every one was like a work of art.

I'm sure that they are heart broke over losing your buisness
wink.gif

I understand where he is coming from. When you pay the big bucks for a high end product you expect it to be perfect.
Sadly, We are often disappointed with what we get. I don't blame the guy for not wanting the product after he got the first one and it was messed up.
BUT.......
The veiled accusation that Bat had something to do with buying the action and that anybody who disagrees with his handling mays somehow have something to do with Bat is a little crazy and a sign of serious paranoia. I suspect that this will not be the last time this guy is displeased with a product nor the last time he lashes out about it. Therapy may be in order for him to get a hold on his temper and some of these feelings of persecution that he seems to have. DUDE.... It was not all a plot to pawn off an action that needs a little extra work. It was a mistake. Shit happens. Learn to deal with it or have a heart attack at a young age. Good luck! Free advice and worth twice what you paid for it! Jeff

MuleHunter, I have no beef with what you guys buy, use, or recommend.

1sikpupi......if you bought a 50k Mercedes and you had a dent in your door, and you just rec'd the car, got it home, saw it, then called the dealer, emailed them, and still heard nothing from them, for 3 days, would you be pissed?

Well, 1k is alot of money for me, and I felt I deserved to not get a 'mistake' or whatever you guys want to call it.

I bet GAP doesn't send out junk when a customer is paying top dollar for a rifle. That is what why they command the price they do.

Dark Horse, Nice.

Jeff, I never was given ANY explanation WHY or HOW that action left the way it did, so how are YOU qualified to speak of what happened? I have ZERO doubt, they passed it on, KNOWINGLY. That is MY opinion just like YOURS.

None of you have to agree with my feelings, or how I dealt with it. I am happy with my Borden, have no doubt I will continue receiving great actions from Jim.

I bought both sight unseen, never owned either before, a BAT or Borden, and doing a side by side comparison the Borden is the stand out winner for me. The feed ramp looks like a mirror on my action w/o any bs like MY recent/former BAT.

To all you who own BATs and have good ones, congrats. Whatever YOU chose to spend YOUR money on, and accept/tolerate if things are not as expected is YOUR business.

I have no interest in the PR aspects here on this site, nor the herd mentality many exhibit on forums. If more people were like me, then product quality would be what it's expected to be. Not good sometimes, and sometimes not so good. It's not like the price of a seller's good changes with the mood the buyers are in on a given day. The mfg. owes it to their consumers to do the best they can, and BAT certainly did not, not in the build of the action above, NOR in how they handled it.

On the comment about 'relations'....I have plenty experience in highly competitive industries and need no lessons from you.

Good day gentlemen.