• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

WOW @ Savage....coming to bat big time!

Re: WOW @ Savage....coming to bat big time!

For years I heard that savages were great shooters for the money. But I always thought you had to spend big bucks to get good accuracy. Well a little over a year and a half ago I purchased a savage model 112 in 6.5 X 284 for $560 At the time I was looking for the model 110 in 338 lapua but they were hard to get a hold of and quite a wait so I bought this just cause. Now after finding a great load for it Lapua brass 54.5 gr Vitavorhi N165 Berger 140's I now get under 1/2" groups @ 100 and 2" @ 600. So far very happy with my 6.5 Now a few months ago I got the 110 in 338 Lapua I had 21 rounds through it and shot it at 600 and 880 with a test load and a loaner 3X9 scope till I got my Vortex 6-24X50 PST. I hit the 600 with one shot 10" from dead center and 20" from dead center @ 880 so I was very happy with that putting down range @ 2500 fps. I now have a good load for that and shooting 3/4" groups @ 100. Taking it out to 600 and 880 this weekend, to see how it does. Lets hope for the best!

Of course Remmy's are good rifles, I just like bustin the chops of people that don't give anything other than the mainstream, or are just plain ignorant, a chance. It would seem that Savage is certainly coming on strong if not surpassing Rem. in a lot of ways. I will be watching over the next few years to see what kind of momentum Savage maintains. Bottom line is that Remington better step it up or they will fall behind.

I have just sold a bunch of stuff. What I kept was two Savage's, a 300 win, Benchmark barrel, action trued. It has a Stockade stock, after market trigger, it shoots alot better than I do, I also kept a Savage 06, it is goiing to get a Benchmark barrel and a stockade stock. It has an after market trigger and a stock I have re worked, it will shoot 1/2 moa. I plan to make these rifles identical with stock dimensions, glass, etc. I am now shopping for a DBM system for both. I love the Savage platform. Nothing fancy just results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobody13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course Remmy's are good rifles, I just like bustin the chops of people that don't give anything other than the mainstream, or are just plain ignorant, a chance. It would seem that Savage is certainly coming on strong if not surpassing Rem. in a lot of ways. I will be watching over the next few years to see what kind of momentum Savage maintains. Bottom line is that Remington better step it up or they will fall behind. </div></div>

From a quality perspective, I feel like Remington has already fallen behind. I own two Remington 700's (one in 300wm and one in .223) and three Savages (Mark 2, 10fp, and a 10-ml) and I would take my Savages over the Remington's any day of the week.

I can't help but feel as people love the Remintons for the same reason people love the Ford Mustang. There are so many aftermarket parts for it everyone can have their own custom rifles. Just because its custom doesn't make it great. I'm a big fan of getting it right the first time so that I don't have to buy aftermarket parts to get it where I want it. But thats just me.

Being that most of you are all Savage owners, I have a choice between two rifles and can't make up my mind on which one to buy
frown.gif

1. Savage 10FCP-K .308
2. Savage 10FP .308

Both are relatively close in price and both seem like good starter rifles. This will be my first attempt at purchasing a long range target/varmint rifle. I like the FCP-K because of the fluted barrel. From what I have read, fluted barrels seem to be a great addition to a rifle.
One more question. The one knock I have read against the Savage is the lack of aftermarket stocks available. Is this true? I have been reading up on accuracy international stocks, manners and bell and carlson. I would eventually like to add some really nice add-ons to this rifle as money and time permits. Thanks in advance!

There's no real reason to go with or without flutes. It cuts weight by a few ounces, some claim it helps with cooling and rigidity. My opinion is it's personal preference. Get what you want!

I do have one Remington .223 LTR. It is bone stock and shoots very well, sub .5 moa. Granted, it is one of their higher end models. Nice little coyote gun. Did shoot a whitetail My buddy rattled in to about 30 ft. with it too. Overall I think it is hard to dispute that Savage has come a very long way. Aftermarket parts are getting more plentiful for them too.

I took the plunge and ordered the Savage 10FCP-K .308. $750 out the door from Buds. I can't wait
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no real reason to go with or without flutes. It cuts weight by a few ounces, some claim it helps with cooling and rigidity. My opinion is it's personal preference. Get what you want! </div></div>

I agree. Fluting a barrel achieves two things only, 1) It creates more surface area for heat dissipation, and 2) It slightly reduces weight.

As far as rigidity, I tend to disagree. In all my years of being a Mechanical Designer/Draftsman and Technical Graphics and 3D Design teacher, any time you remove material from an object, you weaken the object.

I had a 5R and my Savage with Shilen barrel has outshot the 5R everytime. I sold the 5R...I still have my model 10 with Shilen/McGowen barrels.

I find the Savage line are the best bang for my buck. YMMV, but I doubt you are going to find a less expensive rifle that offers the same precision in a factory rifle.

Thinking about purchasing a Savage VLP-DPM in 300WSM any one have one or know someone who does. I am split on Rem vs savage I have a rem 700 5r 223 that will shoot sub 1" groups at 200 yds if I do my part. I do have a Savage 22WMR in with heavy barrel, factory stock that I shot a 2.950 in. 5 shot group at 200 yards but have not shot a savage much. especially at long range over 100yds.

I like the idea of the 22-250 with a 9 twist for the 75gr a-max. That should wack some coyotes.

I have 6 Savages first one was a trade on an Eotech. It was a Savage 110 in .223 the stock was worn out put it in a Choate and it shoots 1/4 groups at 100 with 80 gr. A-Max's. Then came a Stevens in 7 mm Rem Mag it shoot 5/8" at 150 with Wolf Gold Line ammo 150 gr. The a Weather Warrior 116SS pencil barrel in .308 shoots clover leafs at 100. The a 12 FVSS 3/8" at 100 with 150 gr. Bergers and another 12BVSS 1/4" at 100 with 168 gr Bergers at 100. The last one took 6 months to find .338 Win Mag shoots clover leafs at 200 yds with factory 250 gr. Remington Core-Locs. The reason for the Win Mag and not the Lapua was overall cost I can reload the Win for $1.50 a round as almost $3.50 for the Lapua.

i was looking through there catalog not too long ago and i couldnt find a single 20'' heavy barreled rifle. do they make one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was looking through there catalog not too long ago and i couldnt find a single 20'' heavy barreled rifle. do they make one? </div></div>

The 10 Precision Carbine, 20" in .308 or .223. Or just rebarrel. Or just have another model's barrel cut.

From a self gunsmither, Savages are a dream to work on. I just swapped a new 260Ai prefit on mine, got a pdc custom stock, recoil lug, trigger, lapped the lugs. The only thing I paid to have done was to get the face trued. The first load testing group was .24 adn the next was .17. It was accurate before but now is insane. Love the Savage platform, however, they are not a custom actioned rifle and may be as accurate as one, but will not have the quality and strength. My .02

I've had a Savage 10FCP-HS for a little over 2 years now and it's always been a phenomenally accurate rifle. This is a group from my last range trip:

2011-06-01204432.jpg

2011-06-01204455.jpg

First shot was high-right (clean cold bore shot), the following three are in that single fuzzy hole. The fourth would've been there too had I not pulled the shot. Even with the called flyer, the last 4 measured <.750 center to center. Excluding the flyer put me at .250. Shot with 175SMKs over 40.0 grains of IMR 8208XBR with new (unfired) Hornady Match brass and a Federal 210M primer.

I looked long and hard at Remingtons before I finally decided on the Savage. The final decision maker was the common horror stories I heard of Remington rifles coming from the factory with defects that should've been caught before they left - misdrilled scope taps, etc. The fact that my Savage came with a HS Precision stock for less than the stock 700 made the decision easy.

Will I always buy Savages? Probably not...I want to get behind some of the custom rigs and have the disposable income to make it a reality. When someone new to the LR Tac Rifle game wants a recommendation, though, Savage always tops my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJMcMahon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a Savage 10FCP-HS for a little over 2 years now and it's always been a phenomenally accurate rifle. This is a group from my last range trip:

2011-06-01204432.jpg

2011-06-01204455.jpg

First shot was high-right (clean cold bore shot), the following three are in that single fuzzy hole. The fourth would've been there too had I not pulled the shot. Even with the called flyer, the last 4 measured <.750 center to center. Excluding the flyer put me at .250. Shot with 175SMKs over 40.0 grains of IMR 8208XBR with new (unfired) Hornady Match brass and a Federal 210M primer.

I looked long and hard at Remingtons before I finally decided on the Savage. The final decision maker was the common horror stories I heard of Remington rifles coming from the factory with defects that should've been caught before they left - misdrilled scope taps, etc. The fact that my Savage came with a HS Precision stock for less than the stock 700 made the decision easy.

Will I always buy Savages? Probably not...I want to get behind some of the custom rigs and have the disposable income to make it a reality. When someone new to the LR Tac Rifle game wants a recommendation, though, Savage always tops my list. </div></div>
I'm guessing the only difference between the FCP-K and FCP-HS is the stock right? Just curious.

no, that K is a little different. fcp and fcp HS are mag fed DBM and one has an HS. the fcp-k had the new bolt release i think, cocking indicator, and flutes and a brake in a plastic or accustock. unless there were other changes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no, that K is a little different. fcp and fcp HS are mag fed DBM and one has an HS. the fcp-k had the new bolt release i think, cocking indicator, and flutes and a brake in a plastic or accustock. unless there were other changes </div></div>

Thanks for the info. I ordered the FCP-K today. I couldn't pass up the price I got on it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJMcMahon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a Savage 10FCP-HS for a little over 2 years now and it's always been a phenomenally accurate rifle. This is a group from my last range trip:

2011-06-01204432.jpg

2011-06-01204455.jpg

Will I always buy Savages? Probably not...I want to get behind some of the custom rigs and have the disposable income to make it a reality. When someone new to the LR Tac Rifle game wants a recommendation, though, Savage always tops my list. </div></div>
So how big was the 5 shot group? If I can tear all my 5 shot groups down in this manner all my guns shoot better than .25MOA all the time....all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJMcMahon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a Savage 10FCP-HS for a little over 2 years now and it's always been a phenomenally accurate rifle. This is a group from my last range trip:

2011-06-01204432.jpg

2011-06-01204455.jpg

So how big was the 5 shot group? If I can tear all my 5 shot groups down in this manner all my guns shoot better than .25MOA all the time....all day long.</div></div>

Do you have a dime lying around the house somewhere? If so, pick it up and measure it. It's not that big...definitely sub-moa.

Not sure how this conversation go steered into a rem vs savage convo but let's get back to topic. Savage is bringing new rifles to the table.

I shot mine today and put four rounds together in a .85 MOA hole. It's not hard to do...but I was standing and had my feet in a weird position at a new range that didn't have chairs/benches/places to lay prone.

I have a 20" Savage 10fp .308 and love it. The only weak link on it is the stock. Been considering upgrading the stock to something with a chassis system looking at the Mcree, XLR, and possibly a Manners with the mini chassis (not sure if Manners offers one fitted for the Savage).

Would be nice if AI would finally release their AICS for the Savage 4.400" action and the decision would be made for me. Would love to see my 10fp in an AICS.

manners will do a savage if 50 people order. but i dont think anyone is doing anything to get that news out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">manners will do a savage if 50 people order. but i dont think anyone is doing anything to get that news out</div></div>

What are the particulars of the deal? I haven't heard anything about it.

If Manners would do a 4.4" mini-chassis... I'd be all over that!!

I recieved my MCS-T last week, and now have a T-3 on order. A mini-chassis would be just the ticket!!

DK

There is just something about a Savage on a bolt in chassis

iirc, he was asked by some savage shooters on this board about a minichassis and he needs to have 50 to break even or develop the product. you may just call and ask him for details. tell every savage owner on every savage website. spread the word and if he gets 50 he will make it. thats how i understood it when it was posted a while back. search might find the thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iirc, he was asked by some savage shooters on this board about a minichassis and he needs to have 50 to break even or develop the product. you may just call and ask him for details. tell every savage owner on every savage website. spread the word and if he gets 50 he will make it. thats how i understood it when it was posted a while back. search might find the thread</div></div>

The trick is finding 50 Savage owners that all the same short actions. 4.400 and not the 4.250 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">manners will do a savage if 50 people order. but i dont think anyone is doing anything to get that news out </div></div>

i ithink i might be in ill start saving know.
love my savage all mine touch every time. only thin i did was a choate stock and a muzzle break barrel cut down to 20" got to love them.

I just spoke with Matt @ Manners Stocks, and he indicated that they were not doing anything with the Mini-Chassis for Savage.

"IF" they did anything at all, it wouldn't be until next year. And only then, if enough people called for it.

DK

It's nice to see some new offerings, but it seems like every time I look at their website there is something new coming out. Can't ever decide on something because they are always changing. I do like the fact that they seem to be listening and putting forth models with the features we are looking for. I have a few Savage's and they all shoot very well for the price.

Manners is definately the way to go!! I absolutely LOVE mine!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Manners would do a 4.4" mini-chassis... I'd be all over that!!

I recieved my MCS-T last week, and now have a T-3 on order. A mini-chassis would be just the ticket!!

DK </div></div>

Me too! That would be the ultimate stock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's nice to see some new offerings, but it seems like every time I look at their website there is something new coming out. Can't ever decide on something because they are always changing. I do like the fact that they seem to be listening and putting forth models with the features we are looking for. I have a few Savage's and they all shoot very well for the price.</div></div>

It's awesome that Savage is constantly upgrading and changing based off the shooting community. But that is also the reason companies like AI and Manners shy away from making a chassis. At the end of the day I would love to have an AICS, but I would rather Savage keep making changes that benefit the shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners is definately the way to go!! I absolutely LOVE mine!!

DK </div></div>
Are you ever going to post some pics of that new stick?! I'd love to see it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is just something about a Savage on a bolt in chassis</div></div>

Here is my savage in a bolt in Chassis

IMG_4724-1.jpg

If I went with a full bolt in chassis... it would have to be the XLR...

DK

The 10FPSR does not use AICS magazines, it has the internal box magazine. The 10FCP however, does use a detachable, but it is the factory 4 rounder. The new hot dog from Savage, the 10FCP-SR does have the 10 round detachable. But I believe it is the same magazine that the BAT uses.

Only way to get the AICS in the Savage is through CDI that I am aware of at this time.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only way to get the AICS in the Savage is through CDI that I am aware of at this time.</div></div>

Call Jeff over at CDI he is a great guy and very easy to work with.

5810596485_9480c261ba_b.jpg

ok here is the thing. thats a different trigger guard. i hope its the same inlet. can anyone say if thats an AI mag?? and does anyone have a BAT to post pics of the mag? you have to have a serial number to use their parts finder and then its a generic schematic. lol they dont like hot linking do they??

I think I might sell my 10PC and buy that HOTROD 10FCP-SR just for the bottom metal!! LOL!!

DK

I do hope you realize that I am just kidding... I love my PC!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 10FPSR does not use AICS magazines, it has the internal box magazine. The 10FCP however, does use a detachable, but it is the factory 4 rounder. The new hot dog from Savage, the 10FCP-SR does have the 10 round detachable. But I believe it is the same magazine that the BAT uses.

Only way to get the AICS in the Savage is through CDI that I am aware of at this time.

DK </div></div>

i, of course, meant the 10 fcp-sr, sorry

my best friend is talking about picking one up when he picks his f/tr up this weekend if our lady brings one to the show...but i doubt he will if it won't accept his ai mags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my best friend is talking about picking one up when he picks his f/tr up this weekend if our lady brings one to the show...but i doubt he will if it won't accept his ai mags </div></div>

then please let us know what the mag is. if its the $125 ones that savage uses, its not really a better option than CDI depending on total costs of DBM and mags -vs- CDI and AI mags

From looking at the pics, it definately appears to be the 10 round magazine from the BAT. Same ammo guides, same floor plate, same release tab, same depth.

DK

They might have a nice magazine setup, a good-shooting threaded barrel, and decent accuracy, but at the end of the day it's still a Savage. I know plenty of people swear by them, but I can't get over how clunky the action is. They used to be a nice alternative to a Remington, but that's when they were half the price for an equivalent gun. I'd much prefer to snag a Howa barrelled action and throw it into a B&C stock with a CDI DBM setup. Less money, better gun.

Just my $.02....

-matt