• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

WOW @ Savage....coming to bat big time!

GSRswapandslow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina, Hudson (28638)
wow...how can someone NOT love savage in this day and age??!?

they're coming out with so many cool rifles lately...i just can't keep up!

i was browsing today...and saw some new stuff that's really cool to see..

i think this gun will be a HUGE hit for the tactical crowd...1:10 twist for the heavies...threaded barrel...accustock and trigger...10 round dbm! man..that's gonna be tough for rem to beat unless they start selling the tactical's with dbm's and better stocks!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/M10FCP10

then i find this scout rifle, which i will be ordering in 7.62x39...i can't wait!
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCM20SCOUT

then i see this rifle....and just look at the calibers and twist rates they're offering!??! wow...they really are listening!
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRPV%20LEFT%20PORT

Re: WOW @ Savage....coming to bat big time!

My friend owns two Savage rifles. He swears by them. The only thing I like is their trigger, and I don't swear by them. I'm not excited about these new offerings.

great, thanks for that.

now thats the new bottom metal that accepts AI mags i guess. lets see when we can get it from the parts dept

and its TWO

cool, thanks for sharing, I hope they come out with more caliber choices.

Oh boy...

5 bucks says the bottom metal on the FCP-SR is plastic.

I've really never been a fan of their actions. Sure, they do the job, but thats about it. I prefer the feel of craftsmanship in my firearms.

Also, the BX here has a Bas-k or whatever the fuck it is, in 338 lapua. The guy at the counter thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Me on the otherhand, dont trust a multipiece floating bolt with that kind of chamber pressure.

Any company that makes a $300 rifle that can crank out 1/3 MOA with a 10x scope is my kind of company.

It is nice to see them listening to their customer base. However, I would like to see some of these long action hvy bbl models offered in something other than 338 Lapua. They sure are focusing a lot of time, money and attention towards that round these days. I'm sure more would sell if these were available in 300WM, 7mm mag and 280Rem. I am sure there is a bigger market for these and similar calibers over the 338 Lapua. Not that everything they are doing is wrong. That's not what I am saying at all. I love most of the new offerings, just feel that's the bigger void in the product offerings at this point.

Wahhhh heavy chamber pressure in a 338 Lapua, just like most other modern cartridges, held in by the same style bolt head, that has been fine for years? Savage continually changes minds about their firearms, for a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is nice to see them listening to their customer base. However, I would like to see some of these long action hvy bbl models offered in something other than 338 Lapua. They sure are focusing a lot of time, money and attention towards that round these days. I'm sure more would sell if these were available in 300WM, 7mm mag and 280Rem. I am sure there is a bigger market for these and similar calibers over the 338 Lapua. Not that everything they are doing is wrong. That's not what I am saying at all. I love most of the new offerings, just feel that's the bigger void in the product offerings at this point. </div></div>
They made a 110 FPC in 7mmRm for a while. I actually did some work on one and it shot pretty well with hand loads. They discontinued it due to the lack of interest

Been watching savage for a little while.

I have heard third hand rumors that FN/Winchester may be coming out with something in the 6.5/260 line, I hope if it’s true it will be properly twisted. As far as Remington goes, they don’t care about us. They have a history arriving late to the party with not quite what you wanted anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh boy...

5 bucks says the bottom metal on the FCP-SR is plastic.

I've really never been a fan of their actions. Sure, they do the job, but thats about it. I prefer the feel of craftsmanship in my firearms.

Also, the BX here has a Bas-k or whatever the fuck it is, in 338 lapua. The guy at the counter thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Me on the otherhand, dont trust a multipiece floating bolt with that kind of chamber pressure. </div></div>
You mean like this one?
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/RemingtonMilitary/Firearms/Sniper%20Rifles/MSR.aspx
Or this one?
http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/de/blaser-93-tactical-e.html
Or maybe this one?
http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/de/blaser-93-tactical-e.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is nice to see them listening to their customer base. However, I would like to see some of these long action hvy bbl models offered in something other than 338 Lapua. They sure are focusing a lot of time, money and attention towards that round these days. I'm sure more would sell if these were available in 300WM, 7mm mag and 280Rem. I am sure there is a bigger market for these and similar calibers over the 338 Lapua. Not that everything they are doing is wrong. That's not what I am saying at all. I love most of the new offerings, just feel that's the bigger void in the product offerings at this point. </div></div>
They made a 110 FPC in 7mmRm for a while. I actually did some work on one and it shot pretty well with hand loads. They discontinued it due to the lack of interest </div></div>

Strange! I would have guessed they would sell many more of these rifles chambered in the above cartridges than a 338LM. The market just isn't that big. I would venture to guess the majority of guys buying these new rifles in 338LM do not have access to a range to utilize its capabilities or have the skills to do so. Not that it is a bad product I just think it needs expanded. I know I would consider one in a 300WM or other. I just don't want to fork over the cash it takes to feed a 338LM at the moment and I would suspect I am not alone in this. Either way you can't please everyone and props to Savage for keeping it coming.

Always viewed Savage a good starter rifle until something better came along. Then I picked up an LRPV in 223 rem with 1:7 twist because the range we shot at is restricted to 223 only.

That rifle is more accurate than a few of the full on customs I've had built. I'm really impressed with what savage has done with some of their liine.

Why don't they use the repeater target action for these target/tactical rifles...

Is there that much of a demand for easy top loading in a magazine fed rifle?

I like the looks of the 10 FCP-SR feature wise. Not too keen on the digital desert camo, but that's a preference. I will be interested to see what comes of these (bottom metal material and reliability) in the near future. I wonder if the scope base is canted and who makes it?

I'd love to be able to afford a custom gun, but at the moment, I'm not in the position to lay down that much cash. So, until then, I'll stick with my Savage and the groups that it produces. These are both at 100 yards with FGMM. Each square equals 1/2" and the orange sticky is 1".

24b5016d.jpg

4 clicks to the left.
34afb81f.jpg

Dang me and my fliers.

I also picked up the LRPV in 223 with the 1:7 twist. It's quickly becoming my favorite rifle. It's sub-moa out of the box, not picky about what you feed it, and easier on the wallet for practice. Hoping to take it out groundhog hunting soon.

My father picked up the LRP in 243. Very similar, and also a great shooting rifle out of the box.

I think the design, i.e. barrel nut & complex bolt, is less attractive than others, but it I tend not to care because they shoot so well.

I never shot a savage until last year. I was having some rough times financially, but desperately wanted a predator rifle. I moved to MS for a new job, and the ranch that I'm renting a house on has (had) a serious yote problem. I bought a savage edge in 223 from wally world for $267. Mounted a weaver T-10 that I had laying around on it and WOW. That thing is a tack driver, especially with some handloads I worked up for it. I did some stone work and smoothed the trigger out and it shoots 1 hole groups at 100yds if I do my part. Needless to say, I'm a savage fan now. For the price of a decent .22, I got a sub MOA predator gun.

Gotta love stamped steel parts, they just scream quality! Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for accurate rifles. I just like mine to look and feel like they aren't made in China.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta love stamped steel parts, they just scream quality! Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for accurate rifles. I just like mine to look and feel like they aren't made in China. </div></div>

A double barrel, silver-engraved Italian shotgun screams quality, too. But I'll be damned if I'll shoot 100 yards with it. I'll take my stamped-steel seems-like-it's-made-in-China Savage that shoots under 1/3 MOA with factory ammunition and costs half as much as a Remington that won't.

I've got $1400 into my Savage (including optics/etc.) and I have to say I shoot as good with it as some of the custom $3k+ (just for the rifle) setups that I've seen here appear to shoot.

I've heard a lot of remington fanboys talk crap about Savages. I own two for the sole reason that they fit my budget and needed absolutely ZERO work done by a gunsmith to shoot sub MOA. Both are heavy barreled, free floated, bedded and have detachable mags with triggers that break like glass.

Sure a remington can be slightly more accurate with another grand tossed into it. Sure it can look prettier. My rifles aren't going to win a beauty contest or pick silver dollars off a blind man's head at 500 yards (don't ask where I got that from), but they will take down anything I put my cross hairs on at any distance (if I do my part).

My biggest gripe with them is that they always change stuff. It looks like the bolt release is back on the side of the action again instead of in front of the trigger guard. Let's hope the bottom metal is solid because you will have an easier time shooting MOA with your feet than you will finding bottom metal or a stock that will work with the new action. Luckily...you shouldn't have to get any of that stuff for your new Savage.
smile.gif

That new 10fp looks like a Precision carbine with a fluted barrel. It will need a coat or two of matte krylon clear coat to protect the camo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta love stamped steel parts, they just scream quality! Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for accurate rifles. I just like mine to look and feel like they aren't made in China. </div></div>

A double barrel, silver-engraved Italian shotgun screams quality, too. But I'll be damned if I'll shoot 100 yards with it. I'll take my stamped-steel seems-like-it's-made-in-China Savage that shoots under 1/3 MOA with factory ammunition and costs half as much as a Remington that won't.

I've got $1400 into my Savage (including optics/etc.) and I have to say I shoot as good with it as some of the custom $3k+ (just for the rifle) setups that I've seen here appear to shoot. </div></div>

You'd think results would be all that really mattered when push and shove meet. So much for that hope.

Take this rifle from a Hide member, thing's beautiful, and you'd be hard pressed to duplicate the result with a donor rem700 sporter, or anywhere near this budget.

My "All American Rifle"
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2560027#Post2560027

It looks like it started life as a 110GXP3, and after a barrel swap(which can done without a smith if a chambered barrel is ordered) and trigger job it shoot's .29MOA with the first listed load. In the event that I ever get my ffl, that rifle convinced me to become a Savage dealer. I simply don't see how you could get more for your money buying brand new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta love stamped steel parts, they just scream quality! Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for accurate rifles. I just like mine to look and feel like they aren't made in China. </div></div>

I love a quality built rifle as much as the next guy, I have couple custom Remingtons myself, but I have quickly become a Savage fanboy as well. I have seen and shot too many that just plain shoot, alot of times out performing even the sacred Remington. Dont get me wrong, I love my Remmy's too, but you cant argue with dead targets
wink.gif
And the price is the icing on the cake!

I have seen them shoot very very well from the factory, but the safety lever should have been dealt with years ago. I think that is the only thing preventing me from trying one out. If that barrel nut wasn't so damn useful I'd like for that to go away too. I'm going to stick to my 1/2moa factory 700's and customs for now. You guys enjoy keeping up on the cheap and looking the part. Nothing wrong with that.

Don't forget that Savage has a 5r HS Precision model as well. It is not on their website, just like the Remington 5r.

The performance of the Savages are pretty hard to argue with. They can produce some very impressive groups.

When handling one, most will never mistake it for a Tikka T3 or Sako TRG,but when looking at the groups they produce on paper, they are very solid performers.

While I own custom rigs, I still keep some Salvages around as well.

I am glad to see them offer some variety myself.

I have both rem. and savage. I don't ride the remmy bandwagon. The proof is in the pudding with savage. I will hopefully be placeing an order with UGSW soon as well. I am sure they are all good but it is pretty obvious that ten out of the box savages will outperform ten out of the box remingtons. Out of the box overall performance is irrefutable.

TgtGfx1.jpg

.223, 75gr HPBT, 5 shots, 100yd, Savage 12FV.

Won't win any awards, but not too shabby for initial load development through a factory takeoff barrel I installed & headspaced myself in 20 minutes.

There's beauty in that "ugly" barrel nut...

Proud Savage 10 BA owner here.

I'm still pretty new at this but I am placing well in local comps with this rifle out of the box against a lot of high end custom rifles.

19bec899.jpg

65883e2b.jpg

da53faf4.jpg

Anyone else notice that it looks like they went back to the old bolt release and got rid of the one in front of the trigger guard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else notice that it looks like they went back to the old bolt release and got rid of the one in front of the trigger guard? </div></div>
Yes, as the owner of two of the front trigger guard "bastard" models - I have to wonder what the thinking behind the front trigger guard release was and why it is being phased out?

I suspect the front release kind of gets in the way with the extended mag release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen them shoot very very well from the factory, but the safety lever should have been dealt with years ago. I think that is the only thing preventing me from trying one out. If that barrel nut wasn't so damn useful I'd like for that to go away too. I'm going to stick to my 1/2moa factory 700's and customs for now. You guys enjoy keeping up on the cheap and looking the part. Nothing wrong with that. </div></div>

safety lever? did you mean the accu trigger blade?

Sounds like someone likes to hate on products without even knowing what they're speaking of.

Hey Guys, new guy here, I bought a 10FP 20", replaced the stock with a McMillan, I need to send it off to SSS for a full make over, replace with threaded match barrel, install VBull Bottom metal, true and time, then I will she how she shoots. I shot this this a clone MK4 scope.
SavageTactical2.jpg
SavageGroups.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AFSOCsp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey Guys, new guy here, I bought a 10FP 20", replaced the stock with a McMillan, I need to send it off to SSS for a full make over, replace with threaded match barrel, install VBull Bottom metal, true and time, then I will she how she shoots. I shot this this a clone MK4 scope.
SavageTactical2.jpg
SavageGroups.jpg
</div></div>

good luck with getting SSS to complete the work on time, and they won't do a Vbull last i knew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EROCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proud Savage 10 BA owner here.

I'm still pretty new at this but I am placing well in local comps with this rifle out of the box against a lot of high end custom rifles.</div></div>

Were you, by any chance, shooting at River Bend Gun Club this past Monday?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't they use the repeater target action for these target/tactical rifles...

Is there that much of a demand for easy top loading in a magazine fed rifle?
</div></div>

OFIS

IF this is what you want just call Effie Sullivan at Savage and they will make it for you, no problem.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JES629</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EROCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proud Savage 10 BA owner here.

I'm still pretty new at this but I am placing well in local comps with this rifle out of the box against a lot of high end custom rifles.</div></div>

Were you, by any chance, shooting at River Bend Gun Club this past Monday? </div></div>

No, I was here in Komifornia.

Was there another shooter with a similar rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like someone likes to hate on products without even knowing what they're speaking of. </div></div>
Whatever that lever is on the right side of the action, must be the bolt release?? It's the one that looks like a folded over piece of tin. That's the part I speak of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like someone likes to hate on products without even knowing what they're speaking of. </div></div>
Whatever that lever is on the right side of the action, must be the bolt release?? It's the one that looks like a folded over piece of tin. That's the part I speak of. </div></div>

That's the bolt release. How thick do you need it to be? Savage will fix it once Remington fixes that ugly widget on the right side of the action that looks like a beat up wood nail.
smile.gif
I don't stare at my rifle enough to notice, but you're in Alaska so I'm sure there isn't much to do. haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EROCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JES629</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EROCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proud Savage 10 BA owner here.

Were you, by any chance, shooting at River Bend Gun Club this past Monday? </div></div>

No, I was here in Komifornia.

Was there another shooter with a similar rifle? </div></div>

Yes, sir. He was printing some really nice groups as well.

IMG_20110425_191218.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words. There is nothing cheap about the new Savage 12 LRP 260. This thing shoots pretty dang good for a factory rifle
IMG_20110521_204117.jpg
I
IMG_20110521_203649.jpg
still have a little work on my loads but this is a good start

Absolutely, Don't forget REMINGTON'S quality firearms in that huge lawsuit!! OOPS!! It just went off and I never touched the trigger. Go buy your remington, take it to a gunsmith, spend a few hundred more so it will shoot like a savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AFSOCsp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey Guys, new guy here, I bought a 10FP 20", replaced the stock with a McMillan, I need to send it off to SSS for a full make over, replace with threaded match barrel, install VBull Bottom metal, true and time, then I will she how she shoots. I shot this this a clone MK4 scope.
SavageTactical2.jpg
SavageGroups.jpg
</div></div>

I think my 10FP likes the Hornady better than Federal GM as well. But I need to do some more shooting to confirm this. I hope I’m wrong since Hornady is more expensive.

I hate to be that guy, but your post felt very "marketing intern at Savage sent off on a guerilla marketing campaign."

I love a quality rifle as much as the next guy, and have heard some great things about Savage. So there are some reasons to be excited, I guess.
eek.gif

For everyone preaching that Savage products are "cheap" and "feel like they're made in China", just keep in mind that both HSPrecision AND McMillan signed on to offer their stocks on factory Savage Rifles. I don't know about you but I've never seen either company, the McMillan family especially, put their name on a turd.

On the old school Remingtons, not the new trigger group that they are dropping in them now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkDreams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to be that guy, but your post felt very "marketing intern at Savage sent off on a guerilla marketing campaign."

I love a quality rifle as much as the next guy, and have heard some great things about Savage. So there are some reasons to be excited, I guess.
eek.gif
</div></div>

me?

if so...no, far from it. i work in the pharma industry...just think the new savage offerings are hella cool and am considering buying something new is all