• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing XCR Compact Action screws

Tbag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2009
FL
An Alzheimer's moment on the bench has left with a missing front action to my Remy XCR tactical compact stock. I suspect foul play from my young son but have no one but myself to blame. I had the rifle apart for several days as I was putting a new paint job on it, when upon assembly I noticed I was a screw short.

I pulled an action screw out of my stock Remy tactical to test fit and it seemed just a bit short as the screw inserted pretty much flush in the floor plate before an attempted tightening. It did tighten but just seem a bit short.

Are these screws inter-changable/the same length? And anyone have line on them beside Remington as I cannot seem to get them on the phone. Saw that Brownells has nickle coated screws but I am in question of the length and really don't want nickle.

Re: XCR Compact Action screws

Most guard screws come oversize in length. You grind to fit. If by chance you have a mill there's a really simple trick I use to make this quick work.

Assemble the gun with the bolt removed. Insert the front screw till everything is tight. Insert the bolt. chances are it'll stop dead in its tracks before even getting into the breech.

Take a marker and make a witness mark on the head of your screw. Now count the rotations until the bolt falls into battery. A Remmy uses a 28 pitch thread. (meaning 28 threads/inch) Say your 5.5 revs out before the bolt drops.

5.5X.0357='s .197"

That's how much you remove from the screw. I took a piece of plate and drilled/tapped for a variety of screws. Snug it up in the plate, stand vertical in the mill and bring the tool to the part. Zero the knee and run the part up into the bottom of the cutter. use an oversize tool (at least half inch) and run it off center so you get some surface speed.

Makes quick work of the job, doesn't burn the screw (tempering colors) and if your tool is good and sharp there's almost no burr. Buzz it on a kratex wheel and your set.

Takes less than 5min to do.

If all you have is typical garage stuff use the same method to get the length and cut with a hacksaw I guess. Won't have the tempering color marks that way. Clean up on a grinder and off you go.

good luck and hope this helped.

C

Mr. Dixon thanks for the reply, didn't know they come slightly oversized. Wish I mill in the garage but not at this stage, great idea though about counting back the number of revolutions I wouldn't have thought of that tactic. And this is why the guys pay you the big bucks!

Now time to find a $3 dollar screw and pay $10 for shipping, crap talk about getting screwed.

I have them for $9.99 each and that includes shipping.

Stainless with an extra deep socket. Sounds like a ripoff till you try to make one. Let alone hundreds. . .
smile.gif