• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns XDs (singlestack 45) vs. XD and XDM

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
Checked out an XDs today, and was FLOORED at the differences between it and he other XD and HS2000 pistols. This thing is totally different.

It has an external extractor like a Glock
Its trigger is 99.5% Glock, a HUGE improvement over the XD and XDM trigger.

When this pistol was announced, I thought it was pretty much the Glock 36 of the XD lineup, but it's not. It is considerably smaller in every dimension, particularly length, and is way more streamlined. Ergonomics are quite a bit nicer than a 36, and that's coming from a Glock fanboy.

I might have to get one of these.

Re: XDs (singlestack 45) vs. XD and XDM

I haven't handled one yet, but I want to. I bought the 3.8 compact .45 XDM right when it was released and it was my first polymer SA pistol. Good shooting gun, but I tend to favor my Glocks just because I'm so used to shooting them. I may have to try one of these out in place of the XDM since I've been thinking about selling it anyways....plus I don't have a 36 so it may fill that void.

I was at Buds Gun Shop last weekend and they had a XD booth setup with Springfield employees showing off all the older, and new model lines.

I carry everyday a XDm 3.8" .40cal and I love it, first handgun I have felt REALLY comfortable with in a long time..

I went up to the booth and the guy saw me wearing my Fear No Evil Springfield hat and handed me the new XDs .45 and said "Sure you will love this" And boy was he right...

That new model XDs .45 will end up in my collection not long from now. Light, slim, and no doubt dependable.

I did get one and I'm already a huge fan. I can't say much for reliability yet as I've only fired it 20 or so times. I will say the first 5 rounds of factory hardball at 21 feet offhand went into the same (huge ragged) hole about 1 inch above POA. Recoil is no big deal, the few double taps were on paper. Frankly I'm not into a 3" barreled double-tapping routine, but I tried it. It feels nowhere near as good as a full size pistol in hand, but it isn't supposed to. It's supposed to be carried and w/o a doubt it's the most concealable pistol I own (except for the LCP). I have no regrets. If I only had one carry gun I'd be happy if it was the XDs.

I got me a XDs and it looks and feels really good. Hope to get out tomorRow and run some rounds thru it

I got about 100 rounds thru the little gun. It shoots great! Very tight out to 15 yds, did not shoot past that. Recoil is very, very mild. It felt like my 4" Kimberly I was shooting along with the XDs. This is going to be a great Carry gun

I picked one up and a 7 rnd extended mag and love it. Its small and slim. I can conceal with regular tshirt and never imprint. its comfortable and with the 7 round mag it has plenty of ammo and full grip. My wife has glock 26 and it is same size but alot thinner. She wants one now.

I've been looking at them online but haven't had a chance to handle one. After these posts I'm sure I'll have one here soon.

this is the general consensus from most people that handle the XDS. Havent seen a complaint yet.

I am going to fondle one this weekend and most likely buy an xds. I haven't read anything about them other than the trigger being heavy.

I picked up my XDs today and had a chance to put 100 trouble free rounds through it. Great little gun! It is accurate, very controllable and only has a mild kick. However when I shot my Nighthawk T3 afterwards, I thought I was shooting a .22.
smile.gif

What weight of bullets are you shooting?

I have an XDs and have put about 250 rds thru it. Great little gun and is accurate as all hell for what it is. The only issue that I experienced was intermittant failure to go into full battery lock up (short by about 1-2 mm). The striker would still release and leave a small high primer dimple but would not go off. This problem is well documented on various forums. Springfield advises that limp wristing along with a very tight slide to frame fit causesthis. I have not experienced this in the last 50 - 60 rds as it is getting broken in now. It would even do this when stripping the first round out of the mag from slide lock. It concerned me that if the round had fired out of battery what the concequencies would have been. Be aware to look out for this until the gun is broken in properly. Just a little thumb push on the rear of the slide will shove it in battery.

Put 120rds through one Sunday without any problems. Monday I ordered one for myself. Anybody using the 7rd magazines?

do these have the same sight cut as the other XD's I am really consideering getting one of these but only if I can put night sights on it. If I have to wait for some one to release night sights I'll just wait on the gun also.

I can't wait to get my hands on one to see how it feels. I want another .45 been looking at the G30SF but this one looks better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armed Citizen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't wait to get my hands on one to see how it feels. I want another .45 been looking at the G30SF but this one looks better. </div></div>

Two quite different guns. However, here is how <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> see it:

If a pistol is too big to fit in my pocket, and I'm forced to carry it in a holster on my waist or shoulder, I will choose the slightly larger and higher capacity one every time (up to the point where the pistol is BIG, which the G30 isn't).

The XDS is too big to be a pocket pistol (at least for me), so the slightly smaller footprint of the XDS is really of no benefit to me. It is, of course, considerably thinner, but if I'm going to strap in on my waist, that is again, no benefit to me personally.

...just my $0.02... And of course, these things are HIGHLY subjective, so I'm not trying to pontificate - just opine.

picked mine up a couple of weeks ago, love it. It ate swc, hp, and fmj all with no issues.

feed ramp is a mirror, the red front site is a plus, and the thin profile just feels a lot nicer when carrying around.

I picked up mine this past weekend. WOW! What a nice firearm. The fit and feel is wonderful and it shot like a dream. Way to go Springfield!

I went to my dealer looking for an XDS. They didn't have one so for some reason I bought an XDM 3.8 compact in .40cal.

I like the XDM. Great gun, I just don't have anything else in .40.

I have an older XD45 compact that lives in my nightstand. It has a few thousand rounds through it and has been flat out reliable.

I'm sold on the XD platform, and I'm sure eventually I'll have an XDS.

On another note, I have a 1911 that was giving me trouble returning to battery when it was breaking in. I ran it a little wetter on the slides and shot the bejesus out of it. After a few hundred rounds it started running 100% and is now in my carry rotation.

While I find it a bit oxymoronic to build a polymer gun so tight it has cycling issues (it's obviously a carry pistol, not a range queen) I suspect that the majority of the guns with problems just need more shooting time. I'm also willing to bet that limp wristing has a small play in the problems. 45ACP can recoil a bit sharper than expected in pistols of this size and weight.

Got mine today. Headed for a little range time this afternoon. I knew the first time I handled the XDs I would own one.