• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XLR Chassis Stock

Re: XLR Chassis Stock

My contribution to the thread...
XLR260Rem.jpg

I used Leupold 15 MOA base, with Leupold Mark 4 High rings. Scope is Vortex 6-24x50 PST.

I have enough clearance to slide one playing card between the forearm and scope. Really close, but not touching... I got lucky
grin.gif

Hello all, I just got my new chassis today for my savage long action and I got it all tightened up and a temporary scope mounted and when I went to put the new AI mag in it went in but wouldn't latch. The top of mag was hitting action before it could latch. I loosened the action screws alittle and it wil latch fine. Does anyone know what I need to do to make this right. I tried calling Kyle and emailing him but I got a message back that they are out till the 22nd. I really don't want to wait 10 more days some hopefully there is an easy fix. Thanks

As soon as money permits I will have one for my Tikka!! I want mine with the folder option, I cant wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOW619</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is that a carry handle or some type of forward grip stabilizer? cool machining </div></div>

Looks unsurprisingly similar to my RAPTR Grip.

Build #2 in 308, Savage PC10 with a 18" barrel, AAC 51T brake and extras. Waiting on parts for the 1.6" rings (Barrett adjustables with up to 45moa) and will need to buy rails and an Atlas 8.1 ADM plus a few extra mags...
Oct14-12045_zps07f477f6.jpg

the XLR is a sweet chassis. Kyle, have you considered offering a "hunter" option for the forward grip area?

I have been building this for ages...waiting for bits!
Trued Remy 700 action with Badger bolt knob
Trigger by GA Precision
Bartlien barrel in 6.5x47Lapua fitted, threaded and painted by “Baldy Dave” at Valkyrie in the UK
XLR Evolution Stock
March 5-50 x 56 Scopes
Third Eye Tactical Uni-mount and Moderator
Atlas bipod
Thanks to everybody who helped getting together...you know who you are!!!
Time to go shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walkabout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been building this for ages...waiting for bits!
Trued Remy 700 action with Badger bolt knob
Trigger by GA Precision
Bartlien barrel in 6.5x47Lapua fitted, threaded and painted by “Baldy Dave” at Valkyrie in the UK
XLR Evolution Stock
March 5-50 x 56 Scopes
Third Eye Tactical Uni-mount and Moderator
Atlas bipod
Thanks to everybody who helped getting together...you know who you are!!!
Time to go shooting!

</div></div>

What kind of can is that you have on the end of her?

It is a lightweight moderator made by Third Eye Tactical it is a UK company.
It is made of a lightweight alloy with a muzzle break built inside of it.
It has stainless steel centre inserts to stop gas cutting.
It is fully stripable.
Really quiet

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting one of these for my first build using my 700 aac-sd. Does anyone know If my current Seekins 20 moa rail, seekins .82 low rings, and vortex ffp pst 6-24x50 scope will work or will I need higher rings?

You will defiantly need higher rings. Mine are custom 34mm rings from seekins and i thing they are 1.2 or something

can one of you guys give me the over all length of the XLR
with a 20" both with the stock open and folded ...

I ordered mine yesterday (now how to survive the 10 weeks wait)

guess I'll spend the time looking for parts and a drag bag ...

I'm planning on using one of these for a thread protector
I have one on my 358win A-10 works great !

Tapered muzzle breaksTapered muzzle breaks
New - Tapered Quiet Brake
$99.99 Price - Brake Only

"Tapering to .750" @ the rear.
Knurling for easy removal.
204 cal. thru 308 cal.
Installed $199.99.
Keeps noise down range.

found here

http://www.remington700rifle.com/Accessories.php

I hope the wife doesn't watch the bank account for the next
10 weeks :)

thanks .....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRAAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will defiantly need higher rings. Mine are custom 34mm rings from seekins and i thing they are 1.2 or something </div></div>

Thanks,
Are you running a 50mm scope, and if so how much clearance do you have?

Dang, the blue is purty. Never would have tried that, but it looks good.

Ordered the Evo for a Rem 700SA last week another waiting game to be played then i get to see if my gggaz aucam base will work if not another new base is in my future....

So the base will not work so i ordered the ac-30 base from gggaz.

Does any one know if the nightforce at115 20 moa base will need to be sent in for shortening?

Anybody have the carbon fiber one yet with some good pics. I was trying to find some info on the new folding mechanism Kyle has out.
I was also wondering if anyone has a Win70 on one of these chassis? Any feedback is appreciated.

Mark

Looking to put an HDMR on mine, what size rings are you guys using? Savage Action

XLR updates

hello all,

great thread, great shots. I have a Tikka T3 and am drooling to order my XLR stock. Couple basic question: I have seen Black and Green as stock colors, and I have seen Brown or what you might call Dark Earth (?).

My dealer argues that this color does not exist, that its a coating. But Ive seen it too many times, and in exactly the same material as the others. So is there a model number or other method of ID-ing this color to my dealer (Tikka Shooters)

My second basic question is, does this stock come inlet for military grade magazines? It appears so. Do I need to do anything special during installation to change this inlet? Do I need any gunsmithing at all for installation (my understanding is no).

Thank you all for your patience with a beginner.

Re: XLR updates

You bolt in the action, torque and shoot. Not sure what military grade magazines are but, the mag well is set up for whatever mags a Tikka uses. You should not have to do any modification.

Re: XLR updates

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bolt in the action, torque and shoot. Not sure what military grade magazines are but, the mag well is set up for whatever mags a Tikka uses. You should not have to do any modification. </div></div>

Should use AICS mags, not Tikka mags.

Lavaspit,

The brownish color you have seen was our "redstone" color. We no longer offer it due to inconsistencies in the color. The black or green anodized finish can be coated in a number of ways as you have seen in this thread. It is just not something we do in house.

All our chassis are set up for the Accuracy International AICS magazines or similar. There are no modifications required to the rifle for our chassis/magazine conversion. (except for the Mdl 70 action)

Thanks, Kyle ~ XLR

P.S. As a note, there is no need to change the subject line when posting.

I hope to join the club here shortly. Unfortunately Kyle is enjoying himself at SHOT
frown.gif
I'll call on Monday to get the ball rolling.

Hoping to have the barreled action complete by the time the chassis shows up.

Savage 10 (donor) with a CBI 26" varmint profile in 260 Rem Match (1-8 twist). The barrel will be threaded and a JP Bennie Cooley Muzzle Brake installed.

After seeing that blue up above, I've almost convinced myself that the Burnt Bronze I want to do is going to look ok. I'll have the entire barreled action cerakoted in a matte black (not sure exactly which shade of black as yet). Local smith will do the muzzle brake install and cerakoting. He did my 223 cerakote and it looks great.

Going to top this with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP.

^^Video^^
I think she liked it.

Friend's girlfriend from Chicago's first shot from a precision rifle.

Just sent in my NF base to get milled down cant wait for the stock my tax stamp just got back so im just waiting on the chassis now and my build will be complete

Here is my addition.

xlrye.jpg

Rem700 SPS-V cut to 22
Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR
Warne 20 moa base and Low maxima rings
GG&G Scout Rail
Alpha mag
Hogue grip

The GG&G does the job, although the way the Warne is designed, there was not a slot far enough back, so I had to scoot it forward. Had to inlet the GG&G a small amount to clear the chassis. I may go with an AI mount later, but as long as the GG&G does the job, I will keep it.

The alpha fits and locks in without issue, I had to tweak the feed lips a bit to get proper feed, but is now flawless.

Great stock, and very comfortable to shoot.

Last edited:

736758_10151208453707734_317837288_o.jpg

Here's mine. 700SA in .308 worked over by GAP w/ a 20" Bartlein, Surefire brake, Badger knob, Timney trigger @ 2.5 lbs, Badger 20 moa rail. The chassis is hydro-dipped in multicam and the barrel and action were Cerakoated by Sur-Tac Gear in patriot brown and the bolt is coated with Cerakote micro-slick. Right now it has my loaner Mark 4 off my 700P until I save enough pennies to get some new glass, maybe a Mark 8. Right now it shoots better than I do, but that's not saying a lot. lol

Ordered mine the other day. Was considering getting the bench rest plate because I think it would aid in tactical use in an urban environment, and for shooting standing positions. Anyone who has the bench rest plate can you give some feedback? Does it allow a better platform for standing positions? How is the balance with it? Does it add a lot of weight? What about resting on hard objects such as the side of a building or something like a table? Would it need to have a cushion underneath, i.e. sand bag?

Thanks,

Sully

I like the XLR chassis system except for the way it forces one to mount the scope higher than what I would consider optimal. I went with the McRee for that reason. Sharp rifles Hiders.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRKmachinist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's always said to get the scope as close to the bore as is possible</div></div>

That is antiquated advice from a time when conventional stocks were designed for rifles with open sights. At that time, a low scope was necessary to obtain a good cheek weld. Fortunately, this is no longer the case.

</div></div>

This is not the only reason to have the scope centerline as close to the bore centerline as possible.

If the rifle is not perfectly horizontal then the vertical stadia line diverges from the plumb, and a greater centerline distance increases the divergence of the bullet trajectory from your windage holdover or dialed correction.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sulcop96</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered mine the other day. Was considering getting the bench rest plate because I think it would aid in tactical use in an urban environment, and for shooting standing positions. Anyone who has the bench rest plate can you give some feedback? Does it allow a better platform for standing positions? How is the balance with it? Does it add a lot of weight? What about resting on hard objects such as the side of a building or something like a table? Would it need to have a cushion underneath, i.e. sand bag?

Thanks,

Sully
</div></div>

Hmmm, never considered that. I could see it working well for "window" openings, barricades, etc. I would think sticking some material like on the cheek rest would work. Think I am going to order one to try out myself.

i've got about a 7 week wait left for my xlr as well. It's ridiculous how excited i am for it! it'll be going on a rem 700 sps tactical with millett trs-1 glass on top.

RobG, my wife is a shooter, soldier, vet and makes things for my team like rear bags and stock packs. She looked over the bench rest on Kyle's site and is sure she can come up with something to fit over that will provide that little bit of cushion but still be small, light weight and not interfere with shooting standing. I may see if Kyle can get me one right away and have her make the cover. Seance I still have an eight week wait if you want to T&E it as I wait I can send it to you? Just PM me.

Sully

Also interested in any pics of people shooting of the bench attachment.

Might be a deal maker for me if I can use it to add a bit of weight for longer bench sessions with the 338lm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scudzuki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRKmachinist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's always said to get the scope as close to the bore as is possible</div></div>

That is antiquated advice from a time when conventional stocks were designed for rifles with open sights. At that time, a low scope was necessary to obtain a good cheek weld. Fortunately, this is no longer the case.

</div></div>

This is not the only reason to have the scope centerline as close to the bore centerline as possible.

If the rifle is not perfectly horizontal then the vertical stadia line diverges from the plumb, and a greater centerline distance increases the divergence of the bullet trajectory from your windage holdover or dialed correction.

Joe </div></div>

This conundrum that people have about the taller scope rings seems to come up over and over again. Shooters are becoming fixated on an idea that seems to make sense but in reality is not really an issue. Obviously you want the scope centerline as close to the bore line as possible to eliminate any error. However, the effect of the DIFFERENCE in height between a traditional setup and that of one that uses a hand guard is extremely small. We are talking about tenths of an inch per degree at distances nearing a mile. The smallest change in wind will have exponentially more effect than the difference in cant. Perhaps people have been watching the Magpul videos and think that if they are a few degrees off that they will miss the target by 6 feet or so at 500 yards. Simply not the case. If you really have that much cant issue your life as a shooter will not be an easy one. Look at virtually all of today's top SWS's and you will see that they all share the tubular hand guard design of the XLR chassis. Look at dedicated ULR systems like the Cheytac and you will see the hand guard used. The Remington MSR and M2010 systems mount the optic significantly higher than our chassis and yet our military snipers do not seem to have cant issues with their systems that people assume they should. This idea has simply stemmed from antiquated advice that has been misconstrued over time. People that worry about this issue should take some time to calculate the effect so they can see how minor the difference really is.

I realize that there are some that want to eliminate all possible error and that is fine. However, I feel that the tubular hand guard offers more benefits than the cost of the added ring height. The tubular design of the hand guard is light weight and strong. This allows most of the weight of the chassis to be at the back which better offsets barrel weight. You will also notice that the tubular hand guard allows the mounting location for the bipod to be significantly closer to the bore centerline. Both of these factors greatly add to the stability of the rifle and aid the shooter in better controlling the rifle. And of course there are the obvious benefits of modularity that the hand guard affords.

-Kyle ~ XLR