• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You guys running the shorty .308s...

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
What powder are you guys using in your shorty builds from the 16 Inch thread?

I have a rock creek barrel being delivered tomorrow (gonna cut to 16.25 inches) and just ordered a BigHorn sporter action from AJ today.

I Plan on running bullets in the 155-168 range, SMK's and Accubonds.

Re: You guys running the shorty .308s...

I'm running 44.0 of Varget in my 21inch rock right now, didn't know if I should stick with it or go to a faster burning powder.

I've had good luck with both Varget and RL-15 in my shorty rigs. If you're looking to run the lighter pills, definitely check out the 155 Scenars.

good questions and great answers, i'm considering cutting mine back to 16" or 17" too, do you guys know what FPS your pulling?

I run 43.5 grains of Varget behind a 168 grain SMK out of an 18 inch barrel in 1 in 11 twist. Works great.

You need to get some CFE223. This powder gives incredible velocity on short and long barrels. I was getting 2400 ft/sec on my 14.5" 308 POF with 44.0gr of Varget. With 44.0 gr of CFE223 I am getting 2550ft/sec. That is an incredible velocity from a 14.5" barrel.

18E, I run varget and tac out of my 18.5 Bartein barreled 700. It's a tight bore and runs fast. I can match and exceed 118lr without overworking my brass.
I think the point is you really don't have to do anything different than normal. Figure out what the barrel likes and feed it. You don't loose as much speed as you think, especially with a good tube.
I know your not planning on shooting the 175's, but I shoot Nosler 175's almost all the time. I have some 168's and some 110's (for coyotes), but I always grab the 175's.
Have a good one.

ive used varget and reloader 15 without any problems

oh and also used ramshot tac and that was fine too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to get some CFE223. This powder gives incredible velocity on short and long barrels. I was getting 2400 ft/sec on my 14.5" 308 POF with 44.0gr of Varget. With 44.0 gr of CFE223 I am getting 2550ft/sec. That is an incredible velocity from a 14.5" barrel. </div></div>

+1 on this powder! With 135gr SMK's, I'm getting 2890 FPS out of my 18" barrel, with no signs of primer flow, or stressing of the cases, at all. This is an outstanding powder, IMO.

Im running xbr w 168 smks and getting great velocities with my 18" barrel. Varget is clocking a bit slower.