• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Your new .45 and handloads

Super-X

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Calif
Been wanting a new .45 for sometime, have not had one since the 90's. I only use my own reloads in all my firearms except for the rim fires. Do you have a new .45 that does or does not like your handloads ? Looking at full size, not for carry, local hard target match thats very informal (with my son) a just for fun deal. Looking at a Sig 220, Glock 21, and 1911's from Kimber and Springfield. I've had two S/A's but that was 15 years ago, both were just fine for my needs.

So, my question is... do you have a .45 in the 1k +- range that does or doesnt like your hand loads?

Thanks in advance.. TM

Re: Your new .45 and handloads

Glocks and Sig have pretty generous chamber dimensions, no problem using reloads in either. If you plan on using one load for multiple pistols you may run into problems, what I did is bought a dillion .45 gauge. I adjust powder amount between the different pistols, but I make sure they fit in the gauge. This way in a pinch I know my glock loads will work in my 1911 or sig or whatever.

We are looking for just the one for now. We can share and shoot on separate relays if needed. Most of our shooting will just be fun days at paper. I have not owned a modern autoloader in a full size caliber, only 1911's. I am a fan of all steel and a bit weary of aluminum frames, though this is probably unfounded.

Been a fan of the 1911 since 1980 when I had one pointed at me in a store robbery. At the time I thought "man... that barrel is really big" as it was only a foot from my face.

I've been shooting a Springfield Armory LW Operator six months ago and have been impressed with it, both being an aluminum frame and it's reliability with my ammo. I've been reloading about a year and I hadn't released how important the headspace issue is with 45ACP. I hadn't been using the 45 chamber gauge, nor was I factory crimping all of my rounds. I had a few FTFs, understandably, and fortunately I had kept all of the rounds in question. I bought both the Dillon chamber gauge and the factory crimper and realized my rounds were out of spec. Having used the factory crimp die and chamber gauge on all rounds since, I haven't had a single hiccup.

some of this has been recently discussed here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2420683#Post2420683

The only problems I have had with hand loads in my customs were due to me belling the ammo too much.

That said, a brand new, out of the box 1911 should run hardball no problems but might need a good fluff and buff of the chamber, hood and ramp to run flat nosed or hollow point ammo without getting into a 3-point bind. Takes 5 minutes with a dremel and feeds like crazy.

That said, I do not now, nor have I ever owned any of the pistols you mention, but I have worked on, shot and talked to people who do.

That said, the Sig and the SA should run fine with any type of handloads. (might still need a bit of polishing)

The Glock has hex rifling that causes extreme stripping of lead bullets quickly fouling the bore and your pistol will quit working or explode before you have too many rounds through it. Read the Glock manual, it tells you not to use cast bullets!

Kimber will both be at the upper limit if not over your price range and may or may not run. I know there are a lot of people who love their Kimbers, but there are also a lot of brand new Kimbers that just plain do not run correctly if they will even feed in the first place.

In short, hardball, including well made <span style="text-decoration: underline">should</span> run fine in any 1911, most could use minimum polishing in order to run anything (again made to spec) Sigs will cost on the high end, but are well made. Kimber is a gamble, and again on the expensive side. Glock and cast bullets = big no no.
A basic SA, Taurus or Para will get you in for around $500.00 the fancier models may have options you do not like or need.

I would rather start with a basic model and change out the grip and thumb safeties to suit myself than spend the extra money for the Loaded version. Even if I had to take a frame to a gunsmith to put my preferred high rise grip safety on, it would still be cheaper than getting a "loaded" version and I could pay for any modifications over a period of time instead of up front.

My Sig220 runs fine with my handloads. Mixed head stamps from the brass I've collected @ the range with 230gr HP and 230gr FMJ Montana Gold bullets.

Handloads should be developed for the individual firearm. Hand loads should always be better than factory, unless you don't do a good job. If you have to achieve a certain power factor you will want to hand load for sure.

I load mine on basic Lee carbides with the Lee crimp die. I load them at the standard COAL with ball/trim to the brass to standard length and shoot them in everything from Glocks to some nice Springers and Wilsons with no issues. For 90% of my loads I am using medium charges.

Been shooting 1911's and Sig's for all my adult life with handloads. The 1911's will feed your 45 ACP's when loaded with the OAL that gun likes. Load up some dummy rounds at different OAL's and hand cycle them through your 1911. You will see what the gun likes. Mine feeds anything with an OAL of 1.250-1.270.
Sigs have a much less finnicky design. But follow the above, and you'll be money. JPG

I think you ought to own at least one really good .45. If you stretch your spending budget a tad you can get into a Les Baer Premier II.

Not knocking any of the other choices, but your son also shoots and I bet he'd sure like to have that handed down to him some day. I doubt you'll be able to wear it out. You wouldn't have to go for the extra $ 1 1/2" guarantee model either. If you said range and carry, I'd say Ed Brown SF, but you're talking double your budget then.

Glock if you like completely unsupported case mouths and kabooms. Otherwise, Colt 70 Series 1911. Caveat: run FMJ or lead only, unless you have it throated.

If you like the 1911, be patient and troll the for sale area and you WILL find a deal. I picked up a like new Ed Brown SF for not much more than $1000.
IMG_20101124_193106.jpg

Thanks ZLBubba,Silverbullet and CSAR... really just had the one question.