• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your PVA prefit experience

@bohem
Final load work looks like .010off shines.
Target backer was wet and would ruin paper target, luckily someone left a poly target that wasn't shot up too bad. Not my shot at 12 o'clock, or the 2 down low.
20240424_112723.jpg

I'm sending over a PM now so we can take a look at what's up with the Rock blank. While it doesn't sound like a machining question from your description we'll still take a look and see what's up. I have it worked out with Rock that we replace stuff if there's a problem, my work, their work, whatever. If it's the blank that has a problem we settle up behind the scenes so the customer gets the blank quality and the installation work that they expected.
Is that any way to do business?

You bet it is.

@bohem

When I spoke with Ben, he said that as long as you have the drawings, you guys could do the custom contour.
However I'm not 100 percent clear on what constitutes a drawing that is good enough to go off of.

Here is an example of a barrel profile that may work for some of us that are wanting something lighter, but without the worry of having 5/8 threads and enough shoulder. Would this be possible and does this constitute an acceptable drawing?

Taperless-Contour-750-1.jpeg

Reactions: wind gypsy
@bohem

When I spoke with Ben, he said that as long as you have the drawings, you guys could do the custom contour.
However I'm not 100 percent clear on what constitutes a drawing that is good enough to go off of.

Here is an example of a barrel profile that may work for some of us that are wanting something lighter, but without the worry of having 5/8 threads and enough shoulder. Would this be possible and does this constitute an acceptable drawing?

View attachment 8404649
Yeah, that's something I can work to. The question becomes what do we call it?

It looks a lot like a Light Palma contour, from Proof:

1714069258541.png

Yeah, that's something I can work to. The question becomes what do we call it?
It's the Taperless 750 from Preferred Barrel Blanks. My weight goal for an 18" 6 CM barrel is 40 oz.
One particular example on Rokslide using this countour from PBB is the following:

.750 taperless, 24in, 6.5mm bore. straight flutes and chambered
43.25oz

It's the Taperless 750 from Preferred Barrel Blanks. My weight goal for an 18" 6 CM barrel is 40 oz.
One particular example on Rokslide using this countour from PBB is the following:

.750 taperless, 24in, 6.5mm bore. straight flutes and chambered
43.25oz
That's pretty easy to call it. Sounds like we should just make a couple of taperless options in different size muzzles for the hunting community.

That's pretty easy to call it. Sounds like we should just make a couple of taperless options in different size muzzles for the hunting community.
In my mind it could be a solution to avoid confusion on muzzle threads & shoulder size, while offering a lighter contour.

It wouldn’t be an ultralight pencil barrel, but certainly more in line of what mountain hunters are after, especially with the trend towards short and suppressed. While we could go for a more mass produced, botton rifled prefit such as those from PBB, I think there’s a good group of us that would rather use a premium barrel maker, such as PVA.

Last edited:
Reactions: bohem
That's probably a 0.680 and 0.750 taperless then.
I think this is a great idea. You would know better than us but I’d assume anyone getting a threaded barrel made for hunting now a days is looking for one of those two thread patterns at the lightest they can get.

Personally I don’t need super light but I could definitely see myself ordering either one of those contours in the future over say a 3B and calling you guys to make sure threads will work with what I’m looking for.

I think this is a great idea. You would know better than us but I’d assume anyone getting a threaded barrel made for hunting now a days is looking for one of those two thread patterns at the lightest they can get.

Personally I don’t need super light but I could definitely see myself ordering either one of those contours in the future over say a 3B and calling you guys to make sure threads will work with what I’m looking for.
I think that's on point. The lack of taper makes things look a little strange and it's definitely not for everyone. Years ago I made some barrels that I had to recontour on a manual machine without the taper attachment. They shot fine but the guy who asked for it did notice that it was a somewhat funny looking hunting barrel.

It's not much different what the carbon barrel cores look like before being wrapped.

I think that's on point. The lack of taper makes things look a little strange and it's definitely not for everyone. Years ago I made some barrels that I had to recontour on a manual machine without the taper attachment. They shot fine but the guy who asked for it did notice that it was a somewhat funny looking hunting barrel.

It's not much different what the carbon barrel cores look like before being wrapped.

The good news is I think a lot of hunters are starting to shoot enough where they understand to buy a barrel channel big and not worry about the looks. Atleast that’s the boat I’m in.

A 22” .680 taperless 6.5 creed with 9/16 threads sounds about perfect for a nrl hunter/hunting rifle.

I did the break in process one rainy day last week on steel (or near it anyway lol).
Today were my first rounds on paper. 100yds. I fired four mismatched orphan left over mystery rounds to foul the barrel and zero it. Then shot these two 3 shot strings. (6.5cm)

Virgin brass, two different bullets I've never used before. A guessed at OAL for both and a rough "ladder" of loads.

I was having an awful day on the trigger. I made the mistake of shooting something else with it, with a completely different feel and heavier trigger. So I had lots of "oops" shots. I marked some of those, there were more of them but I couldn't remember for sure which they were.

IMG_8073.jpg

I thought to myself... "Uh yeah, okay. If it never shoots any better than this, it's still a good deal better than what it replaced."

Reactions: lash
I did the break in process one rainy day last week on steel (or near it anyway lol).
Today were my first rounds on paper. 100yds. I fired four mismatched orphan left over mystery rounds to foul the barrel and zero it. Then shot these two 3 shot strings. (6.5cm)

Virgin brass, two different bullets I've never used before. A guessed at OAL for both and a rough "ladder" of loads.

I was having an awful day on the trigger. I made the mistake of shooting something else with it, with a completely different feel and heavier trigger. So I had lots of "oops" shots. I marked some of those, there were more of them but I couldn't remember for sure which they were.

View attachment 8405963

I thought to myself... "Uh yeah, okay. If it never shoots any better than this, it's still a good deal better than what it replaced."
I’m sure it does shoot good, as all of the PVA barrels seem to do.. but don’t try to deceive yourself with 3 shot groups and calling 33% of that tiny sample size an “oops”. We all know better than that and the only one you’ll hurt is yourself long term, especially when trying to get a true zero.

The thing with the “hybrid lite” contour that PBB does that makes it appealing is it tapers down quick to that .750. Most typical bartlein, krieger, brux,etc sporter contours are too damn heavy on the breech end and then taper pretty quick for the rest of the barrel length. I think not having unnecessary weight on the shank end is key to the taperless options being popular with hunters.

Reactions: B_Reynolds_AK
@bohem

View attachment 8404649
This! I would have done this (or .8) over the 5.5 Brux in a heartbeat!!

View attachment 8405479
Give us short, light barrels to thread a suppressor onto, this beauty of a Rokstock to throw it in, a crap load of .243 projectiles and watch the carcasses stack up.
So I added the 0.680 and 0.750 Taperless options on the website. They're both 1.2 for 2.5" and a 2" taper down to the taperless size.
Most of the #(x) Brux and Bartleins have a 3.25 or 3.5" long taper from shank to the barrel acreage.

I have 6mm 100gr Solids that are absolute hammers on game. At Ryan from RokSlide's request I sent him a couple of bags of them to try on elk this past season but I didn't hear how they did. I know that they're nasty on mule deer and antelope from testing that @coldboremiracle did with his 6GT.

It looks like the site is updated to show those new taperless contours under the 6mm Osprey blanks, but not under the Osprey Custom Prefits. You may have to still check the “Other (Please contact us) “ box and then indicate those contours in the notes section of an order.

I’m going to be ordering an 18” .750 6 CM shortly, so noticed this while selecting options.

Edit to add that the contour is also under the Snipers Hide Group Buy 6mm that starts May 1st 👌🏼

Last edited:
It looks like the site is updated to show those new taperless contours under the 6mm Osprey blanks, but not under the Osprey Custom Prefits. You may have to still check the “Other (Please contact us) “ box and then indicate those contours in the notes section of an order.

I’m going to be ordering an 18” .750 6 CM shortly, so noticed this while selecting options.

Edit to add that the contour is also under the Snipers Hide Group Buy 6mm that starts May 1st 👌🏼
Thanks for the heads up, I will fix that. I intended for the option to populate under the Osprey prefits too
It should be fixed now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
6.5 creed .680 taperless 22” with 9/16 threads and a cerakote is hopefully there when the 4th of July sale comes. I need to get something so I’m legal next year for Wyoming.

@bohem

Just wondering if you all have a 7 SAW reamer?. Its not on the drop down menu, but figured Id ask. Thanks in advance.
I don't have one but I'm not against getting one. I am not too familiar with the chamber, is there a certain generation of reamer that I need to look at or are they all the same? That was the curse of another wildcat company; was there was a revision coming out before I could even get the reamer I ordered in some cases.

Any chance you will be adding the Havak Hit to the prefits?
We currently do them if you send the action in and you select "Customer Supplied Action". I'm tabulating data on the actions to make sure it can be done as a shouldered prefit but I haven't had enough of them to satisfy me that it's something safe to do sight unseen.

When we do them it automatically gets a little engraved card with all the dimensions on the tag for ordering replacements on that SN again in the future. This way the first time we have it is the only minor inconvenience.

Also, on the HIT, whatever you order will have a 1.20 shank on the barrel to use that little pressure foot setup they have on there. I'm not convinced it's really working as advertised but so far it seems to be passable.

I don't have one but I'm not against getting one. I am not too familiar with the chamber, is there a certain generation of reamer that I need to look at or are they all the same? That was the curse of another wildcat company; was there was a revision coming out before I could even get the reamer I ordered in some cases.

We currently do them if you send the action in and you select "Customer Supplied Action". I'm tabulating data on the actions to make sure it can be done as a shouldered prefit but I haven't had enough of them to satisfy me that it's something safe to do sight unseen.

When we do them it automatically gets a little engraved card with all the dimensions on the tag for ordering replacements on that SN again in the future. This way the first time we have it is the only minor inconvenience.

Also, on the HIT, whatever you order will have a 1.20 shank on the barrel to use that little pressure foot setup they have on there. I'm not convinced it's really working as advertised but so far it seems to be passable.

There are two reamers that I'm aware of a Type I and a Type II. The Type I has a shorter freebore (.045"), set up for standard AICS .308 mags. The Type II has a longer freebore (.150"), better suited for AW mags or a Tikka on a LA mag, etc.

I'm pretty sure Manson makes both reamer types for West Texas Ordnance, who developed the wildcat. Alpha makes brass for it too, so maybe it will stick around.

There are two reamers that I'm aware of a Type I and a Type II. The Type I has a shorter freebore (.045"), set up for standard AICS .308 mags. The Type II has a longer freebore (.150"), better suited for AW mags or a Tikka on a LA mag, etc.

I'm pretty sure Manson makes both reamer types for West Texas Ordnance, who developed the wildcat. Alpha makes brass for it too, so maybe it will stick around.

OK, tell you what... if you're cool waiting while I get the reamer I'll buy both reamers if you place an order for a barrel and it will go on the list of chambers we cut..

Any chance you’ll get more of the rock creek .22 cal barrels for at the sale price? Bought one a few months back, stalled on buying another and now it looks like you’re out of stock!

Any chance you’ll get more of the rock creek .22 cal barrels for at the sale price? Bought one a few months back, stalled on buying another and now it looks like you’re out of stock!

Get an Osprey. You won't be sorry.

I will probably do that if they don’t have any of the others in stock but I’ve had good success with the rock creek…if Osprey I’ll probably wait for a potential sale and get one at some point!

Reactions: Rob01