• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your wife

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I see lots of posts about doing a "work around" so that the lady of the house isn't aware or fully aware of one's gun purchases. Kind of true with me as well. How many of you actually discuss and get your wife's approval before purchasing a firearm. My wife doesn't kick too much with the $500-1000 range for guns, ammo, optics - above that it seems to require delicate negotiations. Just curious.

Re: Your wife

My wife never gives me a hard time. We have our finances in order, and are never tight when it comes time to pay the bills, so she doesn't mind. I spend $7k on a rifle last month, and that I felt was worth discussing with her, out of respect, but she didn't bat an eye at it.

I would hate to have to lie to my wife to get what I want.

We have a pretty good understanding. I buy what I want when I want and not only does she not give me shit but she supports it. One time I was talking about selling a few rifles to buy another and she stops and says 'Don't sell your guns. Keep them!' I knew there was a reason I married her. Well... MANY reasons.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hate to have to lie to my wife to get what I want. </div></div>

Exactly. In one year my wife got two text messages while she was at work:

"I found a Supra in New Jersey that I'm flying out to buy and have shipped back. I'll be back next week so let me know if you need anything before I leave."

Found a Typhoon in Minnesota and I'm heading down to Denver new to pick up Jeff so we can drive straight through. I'll be home sometime Sunday night probably."

After stuff like that, rifles and guns really isn't a big deal.
grin.gif

By nature/average the woman of the house is not interested on such hobby per say.

With that said when spending beaucoup buck$ on something that there's not much interest on, it's a bit hard to swallow for either side. On the other hand there some lucky ones within us which sees eye to eye on this particular interest.

Just my
twocents.gif

My wife doesn't care how many firearms I have... She just doesn't like me spending any money on them.
I look at it this way, firearms are as much an investment (the way I buy them) as a hobby. I have always been able to at least break even when I sell one... I can't say the same for clothes and the things she likes to spend money on. Why do women not understand that???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife doesn't care how many firearms I have... She just doesn't like me spending any money on them.
I look at it this way, firearms are as much an investment (the way I buy them) as a hobby. I have always been able to at least break even when I sell one... I can't say the same for clothes and the things she likes to spend money on. Why do women not understand that??? </div></div>

The way I see it a safe full of guns is a safer bet than a pile of cash equaling (today's) value.

my wife grew up in a family with a father that bought weapons and I am pretty sure to this day has never sold any of them. I do always talk to her before buying weapons or accessories. I think that is fair and she does the same for me on the things she wants. The one thing I always do is buy something nice when I get back from deployments and she knows that I am going to do that too. Kind of goes with the territory.

My wife wants me to be happy with my guns. She would be upset if she knew two of them were up for sale so that I could buy a different one.

I sold a couple a while back and handed her $500 and told her to go buy stuff for herself and not come back with any of it left over. Stuff like that ensures I am able to pretty much do what I want

My wife is a tight-ass on most things. She definately stresses when she knows how much I spend on my guns and motorcycle. To keep everyone sane, I set up a separate account that I throw a few hundred into a month. She doesn't see it when I spend it, and that much doesn't stress the budget. It also helps keep me in check when you all put dreams of USOs, Hensoldts, Lapuas, and CheyTacs dancing through my head! I'll get some of em this way, just not all on the same day like I'd want!

My wife doesn't have a problem with guns that cost the 500 to 1000 dollar range. But she has no idea what I spent on my DTA SRS or how much nightforce optics cost. Lets just say I have this spot in my safe where I keep my gun fund money that grows a little each month that she knows nothing about.

Having two little ones in private school we don't have a whole lot of discretionary income but as long as the bills are paid and we have the money my wife is fine with me doing whatever I want. I do talk with her before making any multi-hundred dollar purchases out of respect and also to make sure that we do have the money. She also talks to me before she buys a Coach bag or some other more expensive purchase that she likes.

I've got a little wad of cash that I keep in the gun safe. Whenever I have a couple of bucks change from something I stuff it in there. It's not much but it adds up over time.

I bought a S&W Model 19-4 using change I had been throwing in a jar.

My wife will gripe a bit if I make my gun purchases (usually high end). However, we have our financial house in order and I'm an awesome steward of our financial resources so she trust me to make the best judgement and keep my impulses in check.

I make sure to reciprocate. I always budget in a new Coach bag or custom piece of jewelry when making a big gun or scope buy....ha-ha... Also, small gestures help. She really appreciated the time when I sold my scrape brass cases to the recycler and immediately handed her all the money. I had been accumulating the spent brass pile for a few years too.

Funny this topic came up... My wife is actually fairly supportive but she works a lot (Attorney) and would prefer to be at home with our daughter. So the more I spend on hobbies the less she thinks her income contribution is necessary when all it pays for is "daycare, a housekeeper, and my hobbies". So it's a give and take where I have to be careful in balancing my wishes. As you can probably tell by my screen name I am an avid inshore fisherman, so a lot of money has gone to that hobby hindering my ability to negotiate when it comes to firearms... In the end I will not lie to my wife to buy a gun though.

My plan is to have a shot ton of guns and ammo before I get married. If I have what I want now I won't have to ask for it later hahahaha

Mine is the head of "household money", i keep my business accounts and my "stash" in the safe......occasionally i'll take 1k out of the stash and handed it to her for the "vacation and football season ticket account".....as long as i keep doing that she asks no questions at all about the number of guns in the safe.......although she does sometimes inquire as to the total "stash" but i'm real good at changing subjects.....

overall she's pretty damn cool about it

no problems here i built most of my guns my self so they were never purchased all at once. I buy the parts i need when i need them. at this point i am the only one that works in our house. we have 3 kids and they are getting older way to fast. so i feel it important that they have a mom at home with them. yes it is stressful. because i am self employed and the business i am in is 90% based on the economy. when things got bad i sold quite a few guns to keep the family going. i sold more than 20 guns. every gun i sold i got at least $100 more than what i invested into it. Guns are an investment if you buy quality and keep them well its the same as or better than a savings account. last year i spent like 6k on guns another 4k on ammo and supply's.

i guess that it helps when your wife shoots with you. every gun i have i have a second for her. but her thing is hand bags i just bought her a Chanel bag that was $1,300 i cant count how many she has. and it doesn't bother me a bit.

buying guns or ammo is not a waist of money about 5 years ago i bought 10 thousand rounds of .223 ss109 ammo for roughly .20 cents a round. when the economy started to get real bad and every one was worried about new gun laws i sold 2000 rounds for .80 cents a round that's 4 times what i paid for them. i have never lost money on guns and ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK - who's wife started this thread ?

</div></div>

+1 lol

I occasionally get "the look" when I walk in with something new but I have enough data on her <span style="font-style: italic">necessary</span> purchases to even the playing field when the arguement arises.

Of course she could always leave if she doesn't like it. The fact that she sticks around means its tolerable for her.

I'm working her for a .50 cal right now and it appears I'll be able to sneak it in to my collection.

I don't question my wife about her quilting fabric stash and she doesn't question me about my guns & ammo stash. Fair trade I think...lol. But since she owns the quilt store........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK - who's wife started this thread ?

</div></div>

+1 lol </div></div>
I second That.......

My fiance has no problem about me buying firearms, bought her a $3k over/under since she loves trap shooting, and a .38special revolver for home defense.

After I got my last bolt gun, she claimed my 24" varmint AR. "so I can be your spotter", she said.
smile.gif

Actually it started on our honeymoon.....the story goes like this:
I came into the bedroom and threw my pants down in front of her. I then proceeded to say, " put those pants on. " She then replied, " I can't they are to Big."
I then said, " remember that you said that." and I walked into bathroom and took a shower. When I came out of the bathroom, my lovely new bride was smiling at me.

She then threw her panties at me and said, " You better change the attitude or you will never get into These."

Target in Sight,
The Key word in your statement is " FIANCE "
Man you have alot to learn.....Did you not know that it all changes after the honeymoon......

As a construction supervisor married to a real estate professional it never really mattered.......until both our professions went to crap.
Now I'm selling more than buying because when I am working its for a lot less money.

Luckily she doesn't care for shooting beyond keeping her skills up with her CCW pistol, so she doesn't even notice the difference from one rifle to the next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually it started on our honeymoon.....the story goes like this:
I came into the bedroom and threw my pants down in front of her. I then proceeded to say, " put those pants on. " She then replied, " I can't they are to Big."
I then said, " remember that you said that." and I walked into bathroom and took a shower. When I came out of the bathroom, my lovely new bride was smiling at me.

She then threw her panties at me and said, " You better change the attitude or you will never get into These." </div></div>

My wife occasionally likes to joke with her GF's that she wears the pants...I tell them she can wear whatever she wants while she's sucking my $#%&
grin.gif

As long as the bills are paid and there is food in the house she doesn't care. Before we had out daughter I had to keep on my toes on the range because she could out shoot me with her 223 PSS if I didn't watch it.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
Seriously though, she knows I get new equipment and guns she just doesn't realize how much they are. They all look the same to her.

Communication..communication...communication. The key to a full,healthy,and loving marriage.
Anytime you have to sneak around behind the others back...it's already to late. If your doing...chances are she is too.

When I met my wife I did not know exactly what I wanted as far as a relationship goes. I had been through some very serious,long term relationships that were pretty much one sided. With lack of communication one one of both sides.
So I knew I would not ever be in relationship like those again.

I see so many people who get married and have to change who they are to accommodate someone else. They end up being bitter and unhappy. I really can not wrap my mind around that.

My wife is awesome. In fact she has bought me my last three rifles. Two being in the $4000 + price range. She knows that shooting and having good equipment is important to me.

And it works both ways...I LISTEN to her needs,wants,etc., and always try and surprise her with the things she wants.

Again...communication has always been the foundation of our relationship and marriage. My wife is my best friend and she tells me I am her best friend. I am truly blessed.

Good luck,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HuntinAZ...you got a wife? I thought you were too young...lol.</div></div>

No wife, yes I am too young. Just sounded like something someones wife would do. lol

My wife thought the 338LM was cool until she found out what it costs to shoot it. Now she calls it the cool paper weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HuntinAZ...you got a wife? I thought you were too young...lol.</div></div>

No wife, yes I am too young. Just sounded like something someones wife would do. lol </div></div>

Never really too young...lol. Just ragging on you a bit.

Choose wisely in the first place and this isn't an issue.

My girl decided that she likes several of my firearms, so therefore she proclaimed that they are now "hers", and sells the idea by telling me that I should then go buy something nicer to replace them.

Hard to argue with that.

hahaha...this has worked with 2 wives....just carry in the new one...when she asks....I have had this for years....then stash the boxes latter...all guns look alike...helps to have over 50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Target in Sight,
Man you have alot to learn.....Did you not know that it all changes after the honeymoon...... </div></div>

SO TRUE!

I have to keep a stash and a very lo pro when dealing with my wife (she runs the $) so you can imagine how creative I have to be to purchase an AIAW .338 and S&B without her raising an eyebrow.

She spends too much money on shoes and I don't say a word. She returns the favor on guns and ammo,and the time to shoot. Good deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Target in Sight,
Man you have alot to learn.....Did you not know that it all changes after the honeymoon...... </div></div>

That is so sad, I guess you learned it the hard way.

Thanks for the advice, but when she is also into shooting sports, its a different story.
smile.gif

Haha, told my wife about this thread and she thought I should clarify that she encourages my gun purchases, not just gives me the OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Communication..communication...communication. The key to a full,healthy,and loving marriage.
Anytime you have to sneak around behind the others back...it's already to late. If your doing...chances are she is too.

When I met my wife I did not know exactly what I wanted as far as a relationship goes. I had been through some very serious,long term relationships that were pretty much one sided. With lack of communication one one of both sides.

I see so many people who get married and have to change who they are to accommodate someone else. They end up being bitter and unhappy. I really can not wrap my mind around that.

My wife is awesome. In fact she has bought me my last three rifles. Two being in the $4000 + price range. She knows that shooting and having good equipment is important to me.

And it works both ways...I LISTEN to her needs,wants,etc., and always try and surprise her with the things she wants.

Again...communication has always been the foundation of our relationship and marriage. My wife is my best friend and she tells me I am her best friend. I am truly blessed.

Good luck,Stan </div></div>

Positive example for all, Stan. It is the only way to long lasting, not to mention faithful relationship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha, told my wife about this thread and she thought I should clarify that she encourages my gun purchases, not just gives me the OK.</div></div>

You SOB, don't you know that within 24 hours, that means all of our wives will know about this thread and therefore about the forum. Then they will figure out our screen names, then she will see me discussing my new $1,000K+ purchases. Armageddon I tell you, hide the goods!!!

Seriously though, my wife knows I buy stuff all the time, but I don't know what she say about me dropping 3g's on a S&B scope.

Like all marriages, there is the US/WE and the You/Her. Both are really important. You have to be what you want and so does she. Sometimes when people evaluate that it means not staying married. But, you also have to look at how you change. When you're twenty some things matter more than others. When you're forty stuff that used to be important doesn't matter anymore. In fact you look back at a lot of things and realize what a waste of time and money it was. But spending time together and appreciating what you did when you are younger is every bit as important. Shows, taking kids/grandkids, spending time alone at a nice place. That's important.

I enjoy having guns. But, like any other hobby, I get to do it, but don't want to obsess over it. Games, cars, antiques, guns, are all cool stuff. But if you don't, at some point, put your relationship first, it will fail. I've seen too many relationships get destroyed over money and stuff. Especially when what they needed was each other.

Buy the guns you want, if you can afford it. Make sure you have enough set by to take care of your family in case of emergency. Guns may be necessary for that. But a whole collection won't help. Other than to bring in money if no one buying knows how bad you may need to sell them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Communication..communication...communication. The key to a full,healthy,and loving marriage.

Good luck,Stan </div></div>

Stan,
You truly are blessed. You and your lovely Bride seem to have a relationship that most would envy and ALL should emulate. It's refreshing to see such a solid relationship in a relatively young couple. You both appear to have found your Soul-Mate! That's Fantastic!