• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Zeiss Conquest or Burris XTR

grmroper001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
Reno, NV.
After reading a ton of posts on both scopes I could find no real heads up comparison. I have a 260 coming in mid ( I hope ) january. I have somewhat narrowed it down to a Conquest 6.5-20 ( have one on a ar-10 ) or the 1/4 moa 6-24 Burris XTR. I am very happy with the glass on the Zeiss, is the glass in the XTR comparable? Will there be a noticeable difference? I would like to stay under 1k. Some advice from individuals smarter than I am ( 99% of the populus )

Thanks all.

Re: Zeiss Conquest or Burris XTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grmroper001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading a ton of posts on both scopes I could find no real heads up comparison. I have a 260 coming in mid ( I hope ) january. I have somewhat narrowed it down to a Conquest 6.5-20 ( have one on a ar-10 ) or the 1/4 moa 6-24 Burris XTR. I am very happy with the glass on the Zeiss, is the glass in the XTR comparable? Will there be a noticeable difference? I would like to stay under 1k. Some advice from individuals smarter than I am ( 99% of the populus )

Thanks all. </div></div>

If it were my cash, Zeiss Conquest.

Scott

Thanks Scott and Witch. I do have a conquest on my ar-10. I was a bit concerned even with a 20 moa base that the conquest would not have enough elevation to take advantage of the 260's legs ( the fun part ). I have never looked thru the burris but have heard the xtr's have pretty damn good glass although
" pretty damn good " doesn't give me a bunch to go on in comparing to a zeiss. DRN sports, dnrsports.com has one for 849 with a mil dot reticle.

Regardless of the glass (to a point) if you can't reach out and touch someone through lack of adjustment then whats the point?

I faced the same question, so I decided to go with a Mark 4, all the adjustment I could ever want.

if you can suffer the 20X the zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 has more elevation travel. On my 308 with 20moa base i'm able to dial to 1225 yards. something to think about.

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50mm has only 45" of adjustment. That's leaving you only 22.5" or 6.25 mils. Not much to work with.

Burris XTR 6-24x50mm has 79" of adjustment. That leaves you about 39.5" of adjustment or 10.9 mils. That's much better.

Even better is Sightron's 6-24x50mm with 100" of adjustment. That will leave you 50" or 13.9 Mils. That a lot of adjustment, and if you use a 20 MOA base you can add another 5.5 mils for a grand total of 19.4 MILS of UP.

I don't see that you can safely add a 20 MOA base under the Zeiss, but you could under the Burris and get that 5.5 MILS also, for a total of 16.4 MILS.

Glass should not be an issue, as any of the three will let you see your target well enough to smack it...

IMHO glass quality is made into too much of an issue in sub $1500 scopes. Frankly most variable scopes over $600-700. are all good enough to get the job done. Focus should be in this price range are: adjustment range (so you can hit your target), repeatability of adjustments (so you can adjust, and repeat your hits), and overall ruggedness and reliability (so you can keep on hitting).

You don't say what you will be shooting, nor how far, nor did I compute how much adjustment in MILS you would need for a 260 to hit x target at y range; so I can't quantify whether the Zeiss's only 45" of adjustment is a deal breaker.

IMHO and YMMV

my zeiss conquest was the best glass I've ever had.

I've never had a S&B, NF, USO etc.... but I don't see how a scope could be more "clear"

The only limitation it has is minimal MOA adjustment. the 6.5-20 I had only had about 45 MOA total.... not much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my zeiss conquest was the best glass I've ever had.

I've never had a S&B, NF, USO etc.... but I don't see how a scope could be more "clear"

The only limitation it has is minimal MOA adjustment. the 6.5-20 I had only had about 45 MOA total.... not much. </div></div>

kyle,

Not trying to be argumentative, but what exactly can you do with "the best glass you ever had"?

What I mean is, "best glass", means nothing without a reticle you can see, and adjustments that are correct, and an adjustment range that lets you actually hit your target at range.

Best glass really counts in Binoculars, and Spotting Scopes because seeing is their primary and sometimes their only function. A rifle scope is an aiming device first, and seeing your target is just one of many virtues it must possess to be an effective tool.

How many bars you can read on a chart or USAF color scales, are a nice academic exercise, in comparing scopes. But I would rather take a relatively lowly SS 10x42MM for $320. w/120" of adjustment, and put it on my 308, than the beautifully clear 6-24x50mm Zeiss Conquest. Which has lovely clear glass of course: but is hard pressed to hit anything much over 600 yds, with a normal 100 yd zero.

In optics you do get what you pay for. But sometimes paying more, gets more of what you don't need, and less of what you do need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my zeiss conquest was the best glass I've ever had.

The only limitation it has is minimal MOA adjustment. the 6.5-20 I had only had about 45 MOA total.... not much. </div></div>

kyle,

Not trying to be argumentative, but what exactly can you do with "the best glass you ever had"?

What I mean is, "best glass", means nothing without a reticle you can see, and adjustments that are correct, and an adjustment range that lets you actually hit your target at range.

Best glass really counts in Binoculars, and Spotting Scopes because seeing is their primary and sometimes their only function. A rifle scope is an aiming device first, and seeing your target is just one of many virtues it must possess to be an effective tool.

How many bars you can read on a chart or USAF color scales, are a nice academic exercise, in comparing scopes. But I would rather take a relatively lowly SS 10x42MM for $320. w/120" of adjustment, and put it on my 308, than the beautifully clear 6-24x50mm Zeiss Conquest. Which has lovely clear glass of course: but is hard pressed to hit anything much over 600 yds, with a normal 100 yd zero.

In optics you do get what you pay for. But sometimes paying more, gets more of what you don't need, and less of what you do need.
</div></div>

like I said, the scope doesn't have much for adjustment travel... that's a big let down.

as far as glass quality, you would think that on a site where various brands of scopes are critisized on a daily basis for their lack of quality in clarity, that it has to count for something?

To me, it's just a function of seeing a more clear target. In a true "tactical" situation, it probbaly doesn't matter, but shooting targets at extended range with a more clear image just seems to have an obvious benefit.

I've never shot with a burris XTR, so I can't speak for it. I was just commenting on the excellent glass quality of zeiss.

just for the record....I sold that zeiss scope and bought a mark 4 recently. The mark 4 works fine, tracks well, adjustments are accurate, but it does not have the same quality of glass the zeiss did, and that is disappointing. I also have twice the MOA travel, and a better reticle to shoot with which the zeiss did not have, so that's the benefit of the leupold over the zeiss.

probably should have bought a NF, and got it all though...
grin.gif

I have the zeiss 6.5-20 with the rapid z 1000 reticle, works pretty good on my ar-10 308. I am in the process of a 260 rem, it will have a 20 moa base, need to stay under 1000 bucks per the boss. I just want to make sure that the scope I do buy will have enough elevation to go to 1200 yards that's the longest I forsee shooting to. I basically had 3 scopes in mind Burris XTR 6-24, Sightron III 6-24 and a bushnell 6500 6-24. Just wanted to get opinions on each. I don't know if the quality of glass will be on par or close to the Zeiss, but would like the best as I can get as my eyes aren't that great anymore either.

Thanks for all the input

look at the MOA travel... not sure what the others have, but the conquest is pretty minimal. I think it's 45 MOA total

have you checked those new vortex scopes that are coming out sometime in the near future? I've been pleased with my viper, and these are going to (supposed to be) a step up from them.

It all comes down to what you want to do with the scope, put the most important elements of a scope in order according to your hunting, and go from there - within any budget the choices get relatively fewer according to your preference:

Quality of glass
Reticle choice (balistic etc)
MOA/MIL adjustment range
Repeatiability of adjustment
Magnification
Magnification range
Warranty
And for many, country of manufacture.

And finally budget (there's probably a few more criteria), going through this selection process should narrow your choice down somewhat.

kyle,
How do you like the glass of the vortex? Comparable to what? The PST scopes look promising.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grmroper001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kyle,
How do you like the glass of the vortex? Comparable to what? The PST scopes look promising. </div></div>

side by side next to my mark 4, it seems just as clear. It is definitley more clear than a VXIII. (compared to 4.5-14x40 VXIII)

The only issue I've had so far with the vortex is the eye relief is somewhat limited. It's not really an issue on the gun I have it on, but I would imagine on different set ups, it could be a pain in the ass.

The turrets aren't the greatest, but they work. The scope tracks perfectly so far. The parallax adjustment works well. for the prcie they are.. around $400, seems like a tough deal to beat...

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of the new PST's when they come out next year...if the glass is just as good, with a FFP reticle and external turrets... and under 1K, it's going to be a good deal.

I read about the pst, seems like they may have a hit there. I'de go with the MOA / MOA setup. Somewhat leary about going with something I know nothing about though

So as of right now I have it narrowed down to 2 scopes. Burris Xtr 6-24 and the sightron 6-24 sIII. Dang I wish the conquest had more elevation adjustment. Even with 20 moa base I just don't think it is going to allow me to get out to 1200 yards. What say all you? Any other options to stay under 1000 bucks as I promised the boss? The vortex scopes, especially the pst's look promising just not sure of them. I want to stay with a 6-24 as the ole' eyes are just getting worse. Would appreciate any and all input.

Be advised my xtr has only 68 moa of elevation and burris woulnd't do anything about it. The ballistic mildot is not mils below the crosshairs. The conquest has better glass to my eyes but the burris is good.

Thanks for the input all. Because of the extra elevation travel I decided on the sightron s3.

Thanks again

Given your original two choices, I'd also go with a Zeiss. Burris aren't bad but I feel the quality of the Zeiss is overall the better of the two. I don't get into the very long range shooting that others here do so the adjustment limitations are not concerns for me.

Don't get me wrong I love the zeiss I do have. If the z1000 reticle was even close to the 260's ballistics I would have gone with another zeiss with the same reticle. My wife is wanting a deer rifle and after shooting my 308 she wants one with the same zeiss scope. I wish zeiss made a 6-20 or 24 power with 60 moa of adjustment for under a grand. Here's to wishing.

Zeiss all the way. I like my 2 Conquests. Good glass, solid turrets that have solid adjustments, and a good warranty, which I have had to use on one occassion. They fixed it no questions asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see that you can safely add a 20 MOA base under the Zeiss, </div></div>

Some education please? Why would adding a 20MOA base create a safety issue?

imo glass is one of the most important considerations, you need to see your target in shade, through mirage and backlit. I have a zeiss conquest scope and I also have Zen Ray ED Binos. The binos have better glass and I'll pick up deer with binos the scope can'tlass you can get pick up. Get the best glass you can afford.

I shot a few matched with a gentleman here earlier this year. He was using a sightron and said he was very happy with the glass as well as the scope as a whole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see that you can safely add a 20 MOA base under the Zeiss, </div></div>

Some education please? Why would adding a 20MOA base create a safety issue? </div></div>

I don't see any "safety" issue... the only issue I'd see is due to the lack of travel in the adjustment, you might not be able to get to zero at 100 yards with a 20 MOA base and that scope

I have a Savage mod10,26"Shilen 1x8 260rem barrel with a Zeiss 6.5x20-50 duplex reticle mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings using the 20moa inserts,Farrel 0moa base. I easily zeroed it at 100yds. It takes 16 1/2 moa to get to 600yds. As others know with this scope that is not quite a full turn on the elev. knob. Just to see after using it at 600 I turned it another full revolution to see how far it would go and easily went another full turn. Thats 18moa over 600. I haven't tried it at 1000 yet but I am thinking I won't have any problems.