• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Throw Lever Review/Comparo - Vortex branded metal vs. MK Machining printed vs. cheapie Cat Tail

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
*I received 2 throw levers from MK Machining for testing purposes. They are mine to keep, use, sell as I please. This should be pointed out from the beginning.

**I was asked for an HONEST review by MK Machining, not biased, not edited by them, just a posted HONEST review.

Here it is. Short & simple.

---

The levers were tested on a Vortex AMG, Vortex Gen2 Razor & an Athlon Argos (which has a "hump" on the mag ring).

For 1/3 the price of their metal counterparts, I'd go with the MK printed throw levers any day. $60 metal vs. $20 printed.

The cat tail levers are absolute sh*t. Not worth a single dollar IMO. If you actually wanted to use them, I'd recommend epoxying them at the knob as they loosen up with usage and do not tighten down efficiently. They suck. They are for fishing or something and are not appropriate for decent scopes and precision rifle shooting IMO. If someone likes them, great. Definitely not for me. I want my gear to be reliable and actually work. And they're ugly as sin. Like a cancerous tumor growing out of the mag ring.

The printed levers are just as secure as the metal one. For Athlon with the hump, I REALLY like the way the MK is molded around the hump on the Athlon mag ring. It works GREAT.

Aesthetically, the metal is nicer than the plastic or printed by quite a large margin when you start. If looking at them closely, the metal looks far better. But, you stop looking at them a few minutes after installing them. Then, over time the printed ones look pretty good because they are wider.

The printed lever is longer which provides more leverage and the printed levers are wider and so they feel easier to adjust the mag rings with vs. the metal Vortex branded MGM version. The cat tail has great leverage due to length, but wiggles as it doesn't stay put very well.

Points that I didn't test or notice but have been brought up are that: 1. if the lever is to break, it's better than the scope/mag ring (ie. dump barrel) 2. the printed levers are not as temperature sensitive as metal ones (ie. leaving in the summer sun).

I'd go printed from now on for an easy $40 savings, 1/3 the price.

More pics are in a post lower down. Sorry I'm not smart enough to load them into the OP.

Attachments

• photo56502.jpg
    photo56502.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 182
  • photo56505.jpg
    photo56505.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 165
  • photo56506.jpg
    photo56506.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 174
  • photo56509.jpg
    photo56509.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I have the printed MK Machining throw levers on all my scopes and have no regrets. I agree, they are ugly, but they work and fit great at a small price.

I'm running the MK Machining throw lever and their anodized aluminum bubble level on my Kahles. Work great and I don't think they look bad at all. I did take some steel wool to the throw lever to take off some of the shine and that helped it to match the finish of the scope.

_MG_6692_zpsef9yardw.jpg

Reactions: sinister and Bater
I just don't see the sense in putting a too large clunky looking plastic throw lever on a $2500 scope that's mounted up on a $3000 rifle in order to save 40 bucks. But that's just me I guess. I have the MGM Switchviews on my rifles, they look good and proportional and about $60. The MK machined ones look nice too.

PS; The pictures didn't post

I just don't see the sense in putting a too large clunky looking plastic throw lever on a $2500 scope that's mounted up on a $3000 rifle

Like many things it is personal preference. I have tried several different throw levers and now have "Cat Tails" on all of my scopes. Cost savings was not an issue I just liked the way they feel and are easy for quick adjustments. I could give a @#&! how they look. How they function is what is important for me and I have never had an issue with them loosening up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81qRDXwqvFL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to chime in here, I didn't send these to Pineoak with the expectation of a glowing review or anything. In fact, I sent these him after he posted in another thread uncertain of anything other than a metal throw lever. I commented saying I'd send him some of ours at no cost, and I thought he would be impressed.

We of course print all our throw levers, and are proud of that fact. We use only top notch machines and material, and the quality and strength are evident when compared to other printed items. This method of manufacture allows us to make quite strong production quality levers at a much lower cost than competitors, and in many more models for an exact fit to almost all popular optics.

If you click on Pineoaks picture thumbnails you can see our "Rev II" design, whereas the lever on the Kahles is our "Rev I" design. Both work great, the Rev II requires less man time to clean up, and generally prints a bit cleaner.

Reactions: manki77
[No message]

Attachments

• photo56505.jpg
    photo56505.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 107
  • photo56509.jpg
    photo56509.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 122
  • photo56506.jpg
    photo56506.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 104
  • photo56790.jpg
    photo56790.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 87
  • photo56792.jpg
    photo56792.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 97
  • photo56793.jpg
    photo56793.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 96
  • photo56791.jpg
    photo56791.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 133
[No message]

Attachments

• photo56502.jpg
    photo56502.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 92
  • photo56786.jpg
    photo56786.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 97
  • photo56787.jpg
    photo56787.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 95
  • photo56788.jpg
    photo56788.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 81
  • photo56798.jpg
    photo56798.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 88
  • photo56795.jpg
    photo56795.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 101
  • photo56794.jpg
    photo56794.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 86
  • photo56796.jpg
    photo56796.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 106
  • photo56797.jpg
    photo56797.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 89
  • photo56799.jpg
    photo56799.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 93
Like many things it is personal preference. I have tried several different throw levers and now have "Cat Tails" on all of my scopes. Cost savings was not an issue I just liked the way they feel and are easy for quick adjustments. I could give a @#&! how they look. How they function is what is important for me and I have never had an issue with them loosening up.

Same here... I like the big know especially on 1-6 AR type optics. I've never had an issue with them coming loose and used one on my PRS match gun all last season. It's a lot better once you cut the ends below the knob. You need to snip them flush, remove the knob, then trim off 2-3 sections and re assemble. That way there is no sharp edge.