• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Best” 700SA Rifle Stock?

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
From a purely competitive standpoint (NRL22-X/PRS Rimfire) what is the best choice? What are the shortcomings?
Please feel free to pick apart my logic/choice as I’ve limited or no “hands-on” experience with certain models:
Forend must go near to the muzzle for bipod/support at farthest points of contact.
Barricade stop/mag well shield.
Cheekpiece adjustable for height, width, and length.
Bag rider adjustable for height and angle.
Grip adjustable for position (distance from trigger) as well angle.
Buttplate adjustable for overall length, height, twist/cant, and possibly off-set.
Tool-less adjustment.
What am I leaving out?

Vision
MDT ACC
Cadex
MPA BA & Matrix
KRG
AICS
WOOX
PDC
Automatic
ADM
JAE
Magpul
Other???

It doesn’t seem there’s a universal “best” choice. Pretty much whatever you like best. The ACC fits a lot of your requirements if you need adjustable grip length and angle. I have a KRG W3 w/enclosed fore end that I like a lot. The large grips fit my hand well and give me a good trigger finger position

Pick one a and start training...it's difficult to pick a bad one
I prefer the XLR chassis...just because I own two and shot a match, a long time ago, with Kyle and others from XLR....they were very nice people and handled the stupidity around that particular match well.
The ergonomic adjustments on the XLR are great too

Reactions: obx22
You are leaving out the new Spuhr chassis.
There is one chassis in circulation here (shooter works for Spuhr) and it is looking very good based on comments from those who have tried it.
I will probably go that way with my Borden. Currently have ACC, MPA BA, Vision.

Last edited:

I like the ACC and MPA Matrix myself but I have KRG models and an XLR that are also good. It’s really a personal thing.

Best is never universal in any category of gun, be it self defense, long range, or BBQ Guns. Pick a budget and purpose and then the best can be determined from there.
“ purely competitive standpoint (NRL22-X/PRS “

This is my current set-up, Bergara B-14R in they’re centerfire BMP stock. Weighs 14.2lbs
This lower mid grade build is fairly comfortable, and is coming along in accuracy. All my clubs shooters have/are going the full factory-custom route, and I’ve seriously been considering dropping the coin myself. I’m hesitant due to the issues I see my friends having with they’re builds.
In my job certain tools stand out as “best choice”, yes you can adapt to others, but the best end up in your bag cause they work.
I’ve kinda always approached my competitive shooting the same way.
79748794-17C3-4F5B-A171-35F7C61F6499.jpeg

@308pirate isn't wrong - he was just blunt about it. :D

The short version to the 4,284 opinions you'll receive here is this:

1. Handle all you can at the range, etc.
2. Buy one that has the features you "think" you want and need
3. Spend time behind it
4. Don't like it? Sell it.
5. Go back to step 2 and continue this process until you find the one that you like best.

That above is the simple truth. No matter what anyone says on here, only you can decide. The biggest lie you will ever read on the internet from strangers is, "you'll love it." Bullshit. We have no idea what you will like, and even your best friend could be wrong in that assessment.

Good luck.

From a purely competitive standpoint (NRL22-X/PRS Rimfire) what is the best choice? What are the shortcomings?
Please feel free to pick apart my logic/choice as I’ve limited or no “hands-on” experience with certain models:
Forend must go near to the muzzle for bipod/support at farthest points of contact.
Barricade stop/mag well shield.
Cheekpiece adjustable for height, width, and length.
Bag rider adjustable for height and angle.
Grip adjustable for position (distance from trigger) as well angle.
Buttplate adjustable for overall length, height, twist/cant, and possibly off-set.
Tool-less adjustment.
What am I leaving out?

Vision
MDT ACC
Cadex
MPA BA & Matrix
KRG
AICS
WOOX
PDC
Automatic
ADM
JAE
Magpul
Other???
Some folks might joke, because it's not $1,500 chassis... But honestly, the Magpul stocks and DBM setups are pretty good for the money. Especially a rimfire where there's no recoil, so accuracy won't be adversely affected by much other than the barrel and action themselves, and it uses AICS style mags (like the Bergara B14r) so everything should work together fine.

Best is never universal in any category of gun, be it self defense, long range, or BBQ Guns. Pick a budget and purpose and then the best can be determined from there.
Man, I hated losing the Open Class Brisket Shoot at the NRIBS Championship last year... But there was some pretty saucy competition. Things got heated quick. It was hot out there, and if you weren't careful, you could get sticky cases in a heartbeat. But at least I managed to smoke most of the competition.

😏

Not one you see often, but I've been happy with PDC Custom. I've run the Gen4 Competition, X Project (Gen 4.5), and now Gen 5 Competition. I like them enough that I have 3, and I have a one-off extra long Gen5 for a light ELR rig being planned out.

I'd throw my weight in here with the Oryx as a very affordable option to. Adding an MDT grip increases adjustability as well as the option to add a variety of accessories.

I've made an edit to this to include the latest NRL Hunter Open heavy win by Matt Alwine using an Oryx Chassis. 1st place finish using a $400 chassis should be a point to prove that you don't need the "best". Put your money into training and time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-08 104827.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-08 104827.png
    723.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
All my clubs shooters have/are going the full factory-custom route, and I’ve seriously been considering dropping the coin myself. I’m hesitant due to the issues I see my friends having with they’re builds.
In my job certain tools stand out as “best choice”, yes you can adapt to others, but the best end up in your bag cause they work.
I’ve kinda always approached my competitive shooting the same way.

In some shooting sports, equipment (including the firearm) makes far less of a difference than what some might think.