• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 10x scope question

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
ok im using a rem 700p in 308 and am looking to reg shoot at between 100-1000yrds with 700-1000 not very much.
question i have been told most army snipers use a stright 10x for this kind of shooting due to less moving parts to poss break, need input on this.

as well who make a good need not be mil. grade 10x scope close too or under 1000.00 thanks

Re: 10x scope question

The "official" optic for Army Snipers is the Leupold Mk4 LR/T 10x40x M3A, fixed 10x mildot optic with MOA adjustments.

They use 10X because 30 years ago they were more reliable. Technology has come a long way since then and variables are now reliable.

For a 700P target rifle in 308 under a grand scope I would get a FFP bushnell 3-12, vortex PST 4-16 or 6-24, Weaver 3.5-15 FFP.

If you really really want a fixed 10X...you can get a used leupold M3 for 700-800 or a new super sniper HD for 700?.

Most army snipers who use(d) a fixed 10x scope do so because that's what they were issued in the form of an M3A.

If you want a fixed 10x, and there's nothing wrong with that for your stated purpose, get a 10X Mil/Mil Super Sniper for $300 and call it good. You will have to do a lot of shooting before you need more scope or a better scope. By then you'll know what scope you want to spend three grand on.

Fixed 10x are also very simple and quick to use. The field of view is usually wider than variables of simular power. There are fewer lenses and light transmission seems better(even if scientifically it may not be?). The supersniper is a good option, but I used an IOR 10X for 6 years on a 6.5-284 for hunting. It wasn't big or gaulky, VERY GOOD glass, HUGE field of view and a great reticle. And for durability, for 6 years and over 1500 rounds, I never re-zeroed it for any reason. I frequently dialed from a 200 yard zero to 1000 and even to 1600 and back to zero without failure.

I personally found the SS 10X HD to be a lot of scope for the price/size. I ended up getting rid of my last one recently due to going to higher magnification on a more target oriented rifle setup. It was great for its intended purpose and would be a great sub-$1,000 starter scope.

THANKS for all the input, "supersniper" it is
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THANKS for all the input, "supersniper" it is
smile.gif
</div></div>

They have a SS 12x42 too. Same price as SS 10x42 non HD.
I have one and am very content with it.

A used uso st10 might come in around 1k or less. That being said there are great options out there for scopes that are variable power, ffp, and mil/mil. I recently saw the Bushnell elite tactical 6-24 x 50 ffp mil/mil for under 800 at grabagun.com with free shipping.

Get what's going work for.

I'll even throw out the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x. Glass is actually very clear for a $200 optic with great knobs and built very well. I think they make a mil/mil version now too. Try either one of those, the Weaver 2-10 mil/mil or the SS 10x mil/mil and see if you think 10x will be enough for your needs. Many times we over do it on magnification. I use my 10x all the time. Have 3 of them (along with some high powers too).