• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12.7x48 or 510 whisper + Dillon 650

bmgdave

Worlds biggest show off
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2012
N.E Pa., sometimes Afghanistan
Hi folks,

Quick question. Is anyone loading 510 Whisper / 12.7x48 on a 650? This is the case based on the 416 Rigby / 338 Lapua brass cut to 1.875" and an OAL of 3.34". Dillon cust service can't seem to give me a conclusive answer, except to buy a 550. I'm looking to buy a press (my first) and they tell me that i cant do it because Dillon isn't making a shellplate for the 650. Anyone using a custom shellplate?....or, whatever?

Also, since i'm going to be the proud owner of two of these rifles, i need to have brass made. Can someone point me in a direction?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Yeah, though on a single stage press. Forming the brass is the real trick - I wrote about it recently. And that's something that I would think is easier on a single stage, 550 or turret press. That said, with the brass already formed, I don't see why you couldn't do it with a 650? Formed brass only needs to be sized and trimmed like other cartridges. But forming it from .338LM brass is a process that you can't automate with a self-indexing progressive (unless you're an engineering genius).

Ok, i've not heard of forming the brass in a die; i also thought that the brass would have to be lathe turned to produce the 90 degree shoulder in order for the round to headspace correctly.....i have a lot to learn.

Anyone want to make up some brass? I have 100 lapua brand once-fired cases.

I guess as far as the press is concerned, i'll probably just load the 12.7 on a single stage and everything else on the 650.

Thanks Dogtown. Anyone else have any input, for a new re-loader, on this? I'd appreciate it.

Dave

Theres a memeber on the hide that has an extra set of dies if you havent bought any ill dig through my email and get a name

Yes, I'll add that the shoulder isn't really 90 deg. Its got a bit of an angle and looking at my neck turner my wild ass guess is about 30 deg. I'll check my headspace guage though it might be a square shoulder since it only registers on one spot. Like Dogtown noted there isn't any real difference in reloading this round over any other out there. Final length is 1.884" or thereabouts for the case. I don't use any of the Dillon progressives for rifle rounds so I'm no help there but I can't see why it wouldn't work. In all the time I've been shooting this round I've not found any case stretch with subsonics and have fired cases more than 25 times. For supersonics I've seen some very slight stretching on the necks but not enough to need a trimmer on the press. .005" is the greatest change I've seen in fired cases and that took a few shots at high pressure. For that reason once again I think you could use any of the dillon presses if they will handle standard 7/8-14 dies. CH4D makes dies for the 510 and I've had very good results with them. The expander they supply is great help in making cases but I don't normally use it for reloading so you wouldn't need it on the press. Boattail bullets don't normally need a bellmouth or bevel to load.

Frank

According to the print I have for my reamer from PTG 510 Budesheim (whisper) has a 83 deg shoulder
Scott

Last edited: